Jimquisition: Resident Evil 6 Is the Epitome of Survival Horror

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Capcom's been on the gaming community's shitlist all year, hasn't it?

Does everyone forget about the parts in Resident Evil 4 where Leon ran about a battle field while a helicopter rained missle-death down upon enemies in your way? Or ran from boulders? Did they forget about the chain guns and the invasive QTE's that do little more than kick you back five seconds into the cutscene you were performing them in if you failed? Did they forget you had to fight a kooky cult of ne'er-do-wells who's ultimate purpose was flat and uninteresting? Did they forget you had to fight fucking Napoleon? Yet people are surprised at RE6's content?

That said, I loved RE4 and still enjoy RE6. No, it's not better than the classics and it's not better than 4, but I still don't feel like it's the weakest game in the franchise. Resident Evil hasn't been survival horror for a long time now, depending on what your definition of 'horror' is. This whole thing comes up every time a new Resident Evil comes out. "It's too much like a shooter now!" RE4 felt like an action/shooter game to me and I knew it was going this way for a while now.

RE6 IS a functional game, so it's not worthy of the scores it's getting. People are just being babies. If nothing else, be grateful that YOUR favorite Capcom franchise didn't get quietly swept under the rug.

Sad to hear RE6 isn't that great, but really, after RE5 I didn't expect much for 6 and am waiting to rent it.

Though really, has there ever been a Resident Evil game that's be universally called good? (Excluding 4). A lot of the older ones get a lot of criticisms and flack for being cheesy with the story (over the top), insane in it's puzzle logic and other stuff, and while it's had success and is popular, really isn't RE like that friend you have who's kind of a crazy idiot, but you love them anyway? You aren't best friends, just friends who occasionally hang out, and after awhile they get on your nerve and you don't see them for awhile. Like the guy dressed as the turtle in Mystery Team, he's hilarious, but occasionally says stupid things that make you want to insult him and leave him alone for awhile.

I'm getting sick of sequels to the point that RE has hit (and Fuck Final Fantasy and they're god who fucking knows how many god damn sequels they shit out over and fucking over...), it seems that 2-3 is the right length, with the occasional 4th being the final limit any good franchise can hit. The first either is a hit, and you should end it there, or it's average/bad with something new in it, and the sequel builds off success and replaces shit with polish and you have a great game. The 3rd is to tie in extra fun story, making something just so fucking hugely epic that it can still be good even if it's bad, and the 4th is left only for prequels, or if you're readjusting the formula. Bioshock falls into should only have 1 (even though Infinite looks awesome, I think it's skipping stage 3 and heading into 4), Just Cause 2/Saint's Row 2 fall into great sequel, God of War 3 hits the final stage, and RE4 adds the remixing stage 4 into play.

Well, it could be worse, they could be announcing RE7:Online only motherfuckers buy our shit next week...good video Jim, voting you in 2016, cause fuck learning actual politics, you said God...TWICE!

GO JIM 2016!!!
im not a us citizen but i will fix that till 2016 JUST so i can vote for jim...

if nature would let it jim.. i would have your babys!

Towards the end of that, it really seemed to me like there was a "shareholders are what is ruining games" rant, which actually makes sense (to me, at least).

Jim for President!

... In all seriousness, I'm now wondering whether Jim is a Republican or a Democrat.

inb4politicalargument

Anyway, that aside, I hadn't really considered it like that, and now I've changed my mind on Capcom. I've always pictured them as money-grubbing, selfish jackasses, but with how RE6 was and how it was met, I don't think they're 'selfish' more as they are 'stupid' and 'desperate.' They must be teetering on the edge, just a few mistakes away from becoming the next Pandemic or something, and they're doing whatever is possible to keep the cash coming, and it's alienating its fans in the process.

The on-disc DLC, RE6, it's all Capcom's helpless flails in the water before it goes under. It's kinda sad, now that I think about it.

Good stuff. Back to form with a strong argument and nice timing.

You've still got it Jim. You've still got it.

I really do feel sympathetic towards Developers and Publishers who need to make money back so desperately, though. It's really understandable why they are so frightened of failure.

I'm tired of the zealots.

Resident Evil 6 isn't terrible. I'd say it's average, and I've been a fan since Resi 1. Definitely not my favorite in the series, and certainly does not rank as the "worst".

Meanwhile, Jim Sterling gives Modern Warfare 3 a 9.5 on Destructoid. Because -herpa-derp- Modern Warfare is not what is wrong with the gaming industry? He just gives it remarks like, "Well, for better of for worse, it is what it is". Herp derp. In a competition for which game has done the most damage and is the most embarrassing for the industry as a whole.. would it be Call of Duty, or Resident Evil?

Prove to me Sterling isn't a troll. This bizarre zealous rant just makes Jim seem like a nationalist, racist twat. Appealing to the ignorant stereotype that basically, "Japan is unsure of themselves, so therefore they're afraid, and therefore the west is superior".

I'd personally give the game a 6-7 out of 10.

It's kind of funny. The game has a man named Kennedy shooting the dead president of the United States. Then some trolls get on the internet and tell us all how weak and unsure of themselves Japan's industry are, in comparison to the dominating western market. Just think that's interesting.

Sheo_Dagana:
Does everyone forget about the parts in Resident Evil 4 where Leon ran about a battle field while a helicopter rained missle-death down upon enemies in your way? Or ran from boulders? Did they forget about the chain guns and the invasive QTE's that do little more than kick you back five seconds into the cutscene you were performing them in if you failed? Did they forget you had to fight a kooky cult of ne'er-do-wells who's ultimate purpose was flat and uninteresting? Did they forget you had to fight fucking Napoleon? Yet people are surprised at RE6's content?

Yeah but Jim said that all of that stuff was okay in his Destructoid review so obviously it's all okay! Note that that's not a complaint about what Jim thinks of the game, more a comment on the fact that every time I've seen someone complain about the game they've just been parroting what Jim has said.

As for myself, I've seen a few people lament how the creepiness/tension/what have you isn't the same any more but really, how could it be the same? I mean, look at Resi 1-3, the first two in particular. You're playing as a character who has no idea what the hell is going on, is suddenly confronted with zombies and monsters and mutants and is basically thrust into a situation that they know nothing about.

Even in 4, even though Leon had the experience of the events of Resi 2 behind him along with badass special agent training, there was still a sense of tension for the most part because this was a new experience for both the player and character, specifically Las Plagas. Then Resi 5 comes along. At this stage Chris has been through the events of Resi 1 and Code Veronica and among other things helped to found a worldwide anti bio-terrorism organisation, he's also been made aware of Las Plagas at some point between Resi 4 and 5.

So by the time of Resi 6 we've got:
Leon. Badass secret service agent who has survived both the the T-Virus and Las Plagas.
Chris. Survivor of two T-Virus outbreaks and a Las Plagas/Uroboros outbreak, founder of an anti B.O.W army and part time rock puncher.
Jake. Tough as nails merc and general super-human due to being Wesker's son.

Considering the protagonists alone, how was anyone expecting Resi 6 to have anywhere near the same kind of tension or atmosphere as previous entries?

Sadly the speech he made at the end of being a " better president " is the same kind of speech politicians make every " election ".

Final Fantasy victory theme - Great Success. Great show as usual JS.

From what I've played of RE6, Jim has no idea what he's talking about.

Quite possibly one of the best Resident Evil games I've played. Then again, I'd expect quite a bit of mindless hate from those who barely even played the game.

Sheo_Dagana:

That said, I loved RE4 and still enjoy RE6. No, it's not better than the classics and it's not better than 4, but I still don't feel like it's the weakest game in the franchise. Resident Evil hasn't been survival horror for a long time now, depending on what your definition of 'horror' is. This whole thing comes up every time a new Resident Evil comes out. "It's too much like a shooter now!" RE4 felt like an action/shooter game to me and I knew it was going this way for a while now.

RE6 IS a functional game, so it's not worthy of the scores it's getting. People are just being babies. If nothing else, be grateful that YOUR favorite Capcom franchise didn't get quietly swept under the rug.

I...had basically completely forgotten the absurdity of it all in RE4. Or at least, it makes a hell of a lot of sense...in context...I guess...or something.

And yet...the first 5/6 of the game (RE4) is pretty tense, pretty survival horror, especially in first-playthroughs where ammo is actually kind of scarce. For the most part, only the last fifth/sixth of the game goes awesome-action. The first third/halfish of the game is grounded pretty hard in survival-horror reality, with the middle 1/3-ish being pretty rough with those damn dogs and blind-wolverine-guys. Oh, and don't forget the invisible acid-spewing bugs that pop out from nowhere. And the right-hand guy of Napoleon who is weak to liquid nitrogen but is completely optional.

At the very least, compared to RE5 and (presumably) RE6, the pacing is far better in RE4, with it building up slowly and only turning truly action-shooty with no pretense of survival horror in the final act of the game and not the preceding 5/6 of the game.

I just see no way for Resident Evil 6, given my demo playing of it, to even come half as close to making me fear for my safety as a repeat playthrough of RE4 would. Every time I restart RE4 (and I have bought it 3 separate times, on GCN, on Wii, and on 360), I feel the same nostalgic tensing/fear that just isn't felt when replaying RE5 levels or while touching the RE6 demo.

Whatever you're seeing...I just don't see it, brah.

Edit: DEAR FUCKING CHRIST. I THINK MY MIND HAS BEGUN TO MORPH INTO A JIMQUISITIONAL FUCKING CLONE.

I'm reading the Destructoid review that was posted earlier, and I basically quoted Jim exactly with my discussion of build-up. Goddamn, that man words many things better than I can, even if I disagree with the amount of satisfaction in the final act.

I'll quote the bit here, and post the link again:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-resident-evil-6-235326.phtml

Again, I seriously typed everything above the edit before ever looking at the quoted below, written by Jimothy himself:

The lack of pacing really hurts one's enthusiasm for the campaigns. In previous games, there was always a sense of build, of things starting slow, growing to big confrontations, and then setting the dial back to build towards something even larger. From the moment the first thing blows up in Resident Evil 6, it maintains the same level of insipid action, leaving itself no room to ramp up or scale back. Compared to past games, there's no sense of character, nothing to remember. It's just a cavalcade of banal skirmishes and scenarios ripped liberally from other modern videogames.

You remember the war-like scenario near the end of Resident Evil 4, where the ally with the helicopter arrives to help you take out a small army of military-level Ganado? That was a fantastic moment, because it had been built to over the course of a gradually evolving game. It felt inspiring to be thrust into a warzone after such a tense ride there. Resident Evil 6 tries to start with that level of action, and stays there. Imagine if the soldier area of Resident Evil 4 had been the whole game, with nothing leading to it and nothing changing for the course of the adventure -- in an industry where half a dozen competing titles were doing the same thing, no less. That is the core of the latest Resi installment.

nexus:
I'm tired of the zealots.

Resident Evil 6 isn't terrible. I'd say it's average, and I've been a fan since Resi 1. Definitely not my favorite in the series, and certainly does not rank as the "worst".

Meanwhile, Jim Sterling gives Modern Warfare 3 a 9.5 on Destructoid. Because -herpa-derp- Modern Warfare is not what is wrong with the gaming industry? He just gives it remarks like, "Well, for better of for worse, it is what it is". Herp derp. In a competition for which game has done the most damage and is the most embarrassing for the industry as a whole.. would it be Call of Duty, or Resident Evil?

Prove to me Sterling isn't a troll. This bizarre zealous rant just makes Jim seem like a nationalist, racist twat. Appealing to the ignorant stereotype that basically, "Japan is unsure of themselves, so therefore they're afraid, and therefore the west is superior".

I'd personally give the game a 6-7 out of 10.

It feels, to me, like everyone is reaching their true boiling point of fury towards triple-A developers at different times.

For me, it was MW3 last year. I knew better then to buy it, because I knew it would be a literal carbon copy of MW2 but with a few extra guns and perks but no changes in gameplay and no campaign comparable to CoD4's. But I figured, eh, this time, it'll be different. This time, they'll put love and care into the game like they first did with CoD4. Lo-and-behold, I got what I asked for, and now refuse to buy any game that I don't know for a fact won't satisfy me specifically.

For Jim, it *appears* to be this game that has thrown him over the edge. That he wasn't quite at this stage previously could mean that he has a higher tolerance than me. Or that he's a hypocrite. Maybe he's jumping on a bandwagon now, or was given a fancy limo ride by some assholes at Activision. Hopefully it's the former option, that he's finally fed up with bullshit re-feedings, or at least in a franchise that he appeared to have once adored (the RE franchise). Perhaps he still adores the CoD franchise like the twelve-year olds and brodudes that it caters to, and just won't admit that it's now reselling the same shit in a new skin. Hell if I know, but he still beats Romney and Obama in my eyes.

chadachada123:

Sheo_Dagana:

I...had basically completely forgotten the absurdity of it all in RE4. Or at least, it makes a hell of a lot of sense...in context...I guess...or something.

And yet...the first 5/6 of the game (RE4) is pretty tense, pretty survival horror, especially in first-playthroughs where ammo is actually kind of scarce. For the most part, only the last fifth/sixth of the game goes awesome-action. The first third/halfish of the game is grounded pretty hard in survival-horror reality, with the middle 1/3-ish being pretty rough with those damn dogs and blind-wolverine-guys. Oh, and don't forget the invisible acid-spewing bugs that pop out from nowhere. And the right-hand guy of Napoleon who is weak to liquid nitrogen but is completely optional.

At the very least, compared to RE5 and (presumably) RE6, the pacing is far better in RE4, with it building up slowly and only turning truly action-shooty with no pretense of survival horror in the final act of the game and not the preceding 5/6 of the game.

I just see no way for Resident Evil 6, given my demo playing of it, to even come half as close to making me fear for my safety as a repeat playthrough of RE4 would. Every time I restart RE4 (and I have bought it 3 separate times, on GCN, on Wii, and on 360), I feel the same nostalgic tensing/fear that just isn't felt when replaying RE5 levels or while touching the RE6 demo.

Whatever you're seeing...I just don't see it, brah.

It all depends on what you view to be 'survival horror.' For me, it's the low chances of survival in a horrific situation. I have enough ammo to keep my nervous in RE6, but you can change that by increasing the difficulty. It's an oppressive world, to be sure, but I admit that it's not as well paced as Resident Evil 4.

Also, I wouldn't say anyone in Resident Evil 3 wasn't prepared for what was going on. It was Jill's second bout with the zombie menace and the game's other characters were Umbrella operatives that had an idea of what to expect (just not the volume.) Resi 3 was about the time I starte getting bored with the series. I outright hated Code Veronica and feel that it's the weakest game in the series, right next to 5.

I'm not saying anyone has to like 6, it just irks me when people put 4 up on a pedestal when it was a pretty whacky game from start to finish. The first time I roundhouse kicked someone's head and made it explode, I burst out in joyful laughter and kept trying to do it again.

Sheo_Dagana:

It all depends on what you view to be 'survival horror.' For me, it's the low chances of survival in a horrific situation. I have enough ammo to keep my nervous in RE6, but you can change that by increasing the difficulty. It's an oppressive world, to be sure, but I admit that it's not as well paced as Resident Evil 4.

Also, I wouldn't say anyone in Resident Evil 3 wasn't prepared for what was going on. It was Jill's second bout with the zombie menace and the game's other characters were Umbrella operatives that had an idea of what to expect (just not the volume.) Resi 3 was about the time I starte getting bored with the series. I outright hated Code Veronica and feel that it's the weakest game in the series, right next to 5.

I'm not saying anyone has to like 6, it just irks me when people put 4 up on a pedestal when it was a pretty whacky game from start to finish. The first time I roundhouse kicked someone's head and made it explode, I burst out in joyful laughter and kept trying to do it again.

Fair enough, and I can totally see, in retrospect, how awesome that would be for a gamer like myself if I was just picking up RE4 for the first time today as opposed to, dear god, over seven years ago when it was first released.

I am seriously wondering if you're older than me, and if so, by how much, because RE4 was my first "real" dive into anything that could loosely be called a horror game, and I've still only played through half of RE0 (love it in terms of character/atmosphere/everything, just can't stand the controls of a fixed-camera shooter). I've watched playthroughs of pretty much every RE game since, and love the backstory, but RE4 was the first game that tested me.

I was probably too scared to think about how awesome a head-exploding roundhouse was, heh.

I just...I want an old RE game (fewer enemies, open world-ish, etc), but with third person controls like in RE4. That's what I want a lot of. That's what RE5 and 6 are not.

Jim for 2016! I want bumper stickers for this! Why haven't' they been made yet?

The fish, nooo, whyyy? Why did you have to include that picture of the fish? Now i fear the fish may find me. I want to hide, under my desk, in my closet, or anywhere, just hide, hide and hope the fish never finds me. I hope it will just go away again, back to where it belongs, neither continue to go after me, nor turn on my beloved ones. I don't want to imagine the things the fish would do to anyone getting in it's reach. Horrible, unspeakable things for sure, leaving no remains but a path of terror and dismay. Coming from the deepest detphs of the sea, where everything exists within darkness and death itself, noone and nothing from the surface is able to stop it...

ok, now back to topic.
Once again i find my thoughts perfectly put into words by you, Jim.

I'm not very much into Resident Evil, just because it never got me. Played one of the earlier titles at a friend, but never bought any copies for myself. Though, isn't it the same with Dead Space for example? Starting the series, you had to save the ammo for your mining tools not to run out of it when faceing necromorphs creeping up to you. Looking at the developers statements and footage for DS3, you can more or less stack a rocket launcher to your flame thrower, sitting on top of your mashine gun to throw everything at necromorphs and other humans alike, whenever you please to. Probably Dead Space wasn't a "hardcore survival horror" to begin with and probably DS3 will be more "horror" than i imagine, but it's easy to see where this is going. And to me, it is rather understandable!

When you make a game like Slender, you can make it close to however you want to and will get praised for it standing out of the mush of other games. When you make a big title on the other hand, there are so many influences, from other creatives working on the game who have awesome ideas they would like to include, to the publishers demands to make a title which has to give them as much prifit, most times by appealing to as many people as possible, especialy when it comes to sequels.
Sometimes we still get awesome "new" games from major publishers (for example Bayonetta, much praised for good reasons; right now i'm looking forward to get Dishonored), sometimes series live on by being both, innovative and staying classy at the same time (considering Bethesda you could take the Elder Scrolls-series; i like to point out Zelda on this one and think i'm able to found it properly, though this is always a topic of argument, for good reasons and for every game-series i guess). But often the game kinda gets killed in the process, at least for most fans. Be it Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, or [pick a series you liked, which then got in a direction you never wanted it to go].

The hardest question is, how to deal with this. You can try to accept, or reject the differences. Or you can try to lift the preassure and fears from most developers by changing the rules of the game called "market", by encouraging higher valuation of artistic freedom and expression, or new ways of funding games, or try something completeley different.

And still, i vote for Mitt Romney Style for President!
But what do i know of politics. I know it sucks (in short), but is there anything else to know about?

Christ, even Spec Ops: The Line has better feeling shooting, and in that game you were mainly shooting American Soldiers! Aren't zombies supposed to be fun to kill? That's why zombies are so popular, right? Because they're scarier versions of us, and you don't have to get tied up with the moral aspects that you do when killing Arabs (or US soldiers for that matter) because they're already dead, and hell, they're a joy to kill. Resi6 just feels shallow, predictable and it completely not fun.

nexus:
This bizarre zealous rant just makes Jim seem like a nationalist, racist twat. Appealing to the ignorant stereotype that basically, "Japan is unsure of themselves, so therefore they're afraid, and therefore the west is superior".

Um, not sure about Japan, but the series director for Resident Evil did say they made the changes to this franchise based on western sentiments. They also went on to say they didn't think survival horror games would sell, and they want to be just like CoD.

I am just going to assume you didn't know about all that.

I usually like these videos, but I had to stop watching halfway through; the video track just kept repeating the same action montage over and over, and my attention span isn't short enough to watch multiple cuts and zooms per second for several minutes.

I realize that it's their bad montage and not yours, but it doesn't make it any less uncomfortable.

I haven't logged in this website in years. Nothing was worth commenting about for me. But this got my off my rhetorical ass. This video's main message was brilliant. I'm happy to see Jim call out the gaming industry for what it has become. Fearful, profit-mongering bloated corporations churning out the same uninteresting bullshit as the next company. That's exactly why this generation of gaming has been the worst of all time.

Games have the chance to be something truly special. They should be enhancing the human condition, not weakening it. I miss the old days were things were much more unique and tremendously more entertaining. Thanks again Jim!

I personally think the flag at the end should be a shirt.

On the plus side, maybe they have a very clear idea of what the majority of their fans want from the series now.

When he's right, he's right.

I feel like one of the few that actually enjoyed the game. No it won't win any GOTY and there was a good deal that pissed me off. Fighting the same boss about 5 or 6 times was a bit too much, even for RE standards. Pointless and grueling QTEs too ;_; I've never seen another game do as much as that.
I still enjoyed it and thought it was nice to mix it up a bit (maybe sticking to one thing at once though,I enjoyed Leon's campaign most because it reminded me a bit of the old games).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here