Movie Trailers: The Lone Ranger - Trailer

The Lone Ranger - Trailer

The Lone Ranger and Tonto protect the west from ne'er-do-wells.

Watch Video

Not that I want to start an unholy flame war here but... why exactly are they having Johnny Depp play an Indian? Seems like a huge miscast.

Hm. Rather interested in seeing this. The Lone Ranger is sort of a quintessential masked crime-fighter, wonder how they'll treat him. And very interested in how they treat Tonto. Certainly not the Native American usually seen in film--wonder if it's based on an archetype that'd fit in the Reel Injun documentary.

Does Helena Bonham Carter have to be in EVERY movie Johnny Depp is in?

Sheesh...

No matter what they say, I'm interested in seeing this. I can't help it...I just have too much respect for Mr. Depp.

DevilWithaHalo:
Not that I want to start an unholy flame war here but... why exactly are they having Johnny Depp play an Indian? Seems like a huge miscast.

I don't know, Im looking forward to it. You may not know this but he is totaly of native american descent. His grandmother grew up cherokee. Google told me this and I believe it to be true.

Also hes a really good character actor.

The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp and a rock track? wtf? I think I'll pass.

Hate to be the "PC killjoy," but doesn't it strike anyone else that Tonto... might be just a bit racist when you think about it? Also, why does Johnny get top billing? If I were Armie, I'd be pissed.

May as well have called it "There will be Trains"

And please don't tell me Carter is trying to pull off a seductive role yet again? *Shudder*

It's unfortunate that I expect because Johnny is wearing face-paint he'll act all flamboyant.
Sometimes it's a bad idea casting well-known actors because then the audience have a presumption that is hard to shake off.

I would never be able to take Bruce Willis in a period drama as Mister Darsey seriously.

DevilWithaHalo:

That was my thought.

I guess their hoping since PotC 4 failed so miserably, they'd get him to jumpstart another franchise.

Waste of time, just get a frickin Native American actor and make a good movie.

trty00:
Hate to be the "PC killjoy," but doesn't it strike anyone else that Tonto... might be just a bit racist when you think about it? Also, why does Johnny get top billing? If I were Armie, I'd be pissed.

That's how Hollywood works, bigger star gets top billing even though in a supporting role rather than the guy who plays the main character. What do you expect?

For some reason I want this movie to fail so bad more than John Carter so much that will finally teach Depp that he's already a has-been and people are already sick of him doing the same roles over and over again.

The only thing that would justify Depp as Tonto is if Tonto not actually being an Indian was recognized by the plot. Like, a running gag where the Lone Ranger was the only person who thought Tonto was an Indian, or a big reveal, or Tonto portrays an Indian stereotype as part of some in-movie deception, something like that.

Overall, it will be remarkably difficult to keep this from being another Wild Wild West.

They lost me at Helena Bonham Carter. Just took me right out.

Don't tell me: the Lone Ranger's secret identity is a snarky millionaire playboy who turns to a life of fighting crime due to a harrowing event in his past?

DevilWithaHalo:

I'd agree but I doubt the guy in the old show was actually Native either. All I know is that Helena Bonham Carter seems to be in every goddam Johnny Depp movie ever.

Krantos:

DevilWithaHalo:

That was my thought.

I guess their hoping since PotC 4 failed so miserably, they'd get him to jumpstart another franchise.

Waste of time, just get a frickin Native American actor and make a good movie.

PotC 4 failed so hard they decided to make a PotC 5. Just because a movie is bad doesn't mean it didn't make a lot of money.

Edit: Also, the reason Depp and H.B.C are in the same movies is probably because they both know Tim Burton.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here