War of the Roses Review

War of the Roses Review

Like a two-handed Galloglaigh axe, War of the Roses is rough and ugly, but does what it does really well.

Read Full Article

I like the idea of horribly brutal medieval fighting but it's all multiplayer. What I'd want from a game like this is:

1. works on windows XP
2. singleplayer campaign

Basically Mount and Blade Warband on a new engine.

Already bought this and loving it. Gameplaywise it's great. Plus are the accuracy of this game and the many many ways you can customise your character. Biggest down side is the lack of variety in the game modes.

Glad to hear the combat is solid, I can't wait to pick this up and try it out. I like the idea of unlocking heraldry as you level up too.

Seems to be about what I expected. I'll most likely pick it up when it goes on sale.

Xan Krieger:
I like the idea of horribly brutal medieval fighting but it's all multiplayer. What I'd want from a game like this is:

1. works on windows XP
2. singleplayer campaign

Well they're making a Mount and Blade 2, so there's that.

It would have been interesting to read how it compares to the Mount&Blade Warband multiplayer component.

Irridium:
Seems to be about what I expected. I'll most likely pick it up when it goes on sale.

Xan Krieger:

1. works on windows XP
2. singleplayer campaign

Well they're making a Mount and Blade 2, so there's that.

I hope they focus on adding more depth and RPG elements to the single player campaign, rather than fleshing out the multiplayer part.

I've played WOTR & M&B but I didn't enjoy M&B's multiplayer the slightest, this I am having a great time with. In essence they are similar but WR's maps have a real flow to them and the variety in modes makes it a good notch better. M&B's combat felt as if you were playing with toys made of wood, this is much more dynamic and more developed.

From the review it kind of feels that the reviewer didn't bother putting too much time and effort in the game.

1) "Absence of any kind of map makes navigation a challenge" - You can see the general map when you select your spawn, also for conquest mode the capture poits serve as your point of navigation. For Deathmatch it can be somewhat of an issue but if you have played the map once or twice before you know where to move towards, alternatively you can just follow the crowd.

2)"There is no health meter of any sort" - 101% untrue. The level of blood on the side of your screen is your "health meter". No/a little blood = High HP & Screen covered in layers of blood = Low hp.
Various games have used that mechanic, it shouldn't be too hard to figure this one out.

On the negative side server crashes & crash to desktop issues do sadly hold true but it's more of an annoyance rather than something completely gamebreaking.

I am definetly very happy with the game and hope that they will continue to support the title for a long time.

had an eye on it but sounds like i wait until its on special. was hoping for a more SP focused game then MP.

Xan Krieger:

1. works on windows XP
2. singleplayer campaign

Exactly. I've played hundreds of hours of Warband campaign. The multiplayer was fun, but not the main attraction for me. Driving a lance through an army of peasants was.

And from what I've seen of War of the Roses, even the multiplayer is a bit empty. So few maps and modes, 32 players? C'mon. I'll just stick to Warband until a) a sale, b) more content or c) mods.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here