Escapist Podcast: 064: Fashion and Competitive Play

064: Fashion and Competitive Play

This week, we have an incredibly important discussion about
Fashion, playing competitively against your friends and Mike's last million dollar idea.

Watch Video

These are Jnco jeans:

They were somewhat popular (and derided by most people who didn't wear them) in my area when I was in middle school, around '98 or so.

I know whats happening with your neighbor! It isn't really the guy you think it is. There is another person on his floor that saw the note on his door and besided to mess with you.

UNHchabo:
These are Jnco jeans:

They were somewhat popular (and derided by most people who didn't wear them) in my area when I was in middle school, around '98 or so.

Why 90s fashion!? Just...why?

This podcat was entirely too short. Please get back in the room and find more tangents.

:) Good podcast. Hope you can talk about those other things later.

As a former goth I will shamefully admit I wore black pants that covered my shoes.

I blame 90s fashion on this, and that is convenient enough for me as an excuse.

>.>

<.<

Hahaha!
I remember Jncos - those were big in my middle school/high school days.

... and I just totally dated myself, didn't I?

The problem I have with with women's clothing that draws attention to the boobs and/or ass areas is this:

There is a part of the guy-brain that wants to do nothing but stare at boobs all day 100% of the time. Now as a reasonable human being - I realize that many women don't particularly like it when guys leer at them like this, and as such I've been taught that its rude to do so.

Now the thing is - it takes effort to turn that part of my brain off, and some guys have better control over that part of their brains than others, and I admittedly don't have the most control - so it takes me more effort to turn that part of my brain off.

So when you have a woman wearing something that draws attention to the T&A region it immediately ignites a mini-brain-war. First there's of course the part that naturally wants to read the shirt (or whatever), then the pervy part of my brain is all like "well you're already looking there - so you might as well take it in", then the reasonable part of my brain pipes up "Dude - don't be a creep".

Next thing you know I'm waking up in a hospital and someone's telling me I had some kind seizure or something, and then you notice the nurse is kind of hot, and ... bad times man ...

Damnit, why are so many members of The Escapist editorial staff leaving so frequently? Russ Pitts, Steve Butts, and Mike Kayatta, all gone in about a year's time. Mike, you will be missed, along with your aversion to condiments, all your million dollar ideas, and even your magic kisses. QQ

It seems I ended up in just the right age group to be familiar with every one of those fashion trends (although I didn't know the terms for all of them originally--am I the only one who heard of "pegging" first as a... let's just say non-fashion-related term?). Socks are AMAZING. Stop hating. I have the best, thickest, fluffiest white socks. ...they get worn out and I need to toss them after 2-4 years, but they're so comfortable and just how can you hate the things that help keep your feet protected and dry?

Just a random comment: beekeepking's neat--Africanized bees aren't too big of an issue (and any responsible keepers know how to tell if their hive has been invaded). Also, not that Mike's likely to see this, but apparently scientists have figured out how bees fly: http://www.livescience.com/528-scientists-finally-figure-bees-fly.html (I'd never known that there was a mystery, in the first place, so I suppose we both learned something today)

Why is Mike being allowed to leave? Take him hostage, restrain him! ONE of those ideas has to be worth something!

JambalayaBob:
Damnit, why are so many members of The Escapist editorial staff leaving so frequently? Russ Pitts, Steve Butts, and Mike Kayatta, all gone in about a year's time. Mike, you will be missed, along with your aversion to condiments, all your million dollar ideas, and even your magic kisses. QQ

Eppy (Bored):
Why is Mike being allowed to leave? Take him hostage, restrain him! ONE of those ideas has to be worth something!

Thanks guys, I'll miss you too. Fortunately, I'm not completely leaving The Escapist, though. I'm going to keep contributing as a non-staffer so I have more time to invest in Mike's Magic Kisses LLC (a subsidiary of Mike's Million Dollar Ideas).

bravetoaster:
It seems I ended up in just the right age group to be familiar with every one of those fashion trends (although I didn't know the terms for all of them originally--am I the only one who heard of "pegging" first as a... let's just say non-fashion-related term?).

yes, and when they said the first word those images popped into my head, and I asked myself if I remembered having to go through an age gate. then after farther listening I realized they were talking about pant legs.

bravetoaster:
Socks are AMAZING. Stop hating. I have the best, thickest, fluffiest white socks. ...they get worn out and I need to toss them after 2-4 years, but they're so comfortable and just how can you hate the things that help keep your feet protected and dry?

what is the big deal against people who wear socks with sandles anyways. in some regions of even the united states it can get to hot, and humid for sneaker, but to damp to not have socks.

and technically sagging started when a mass influx of prison inmates were released, and they had grown accustomed to having their pants that low for "other reasons" then "gangster" kids would see them, and think it was cool, and start doing it themselves. just think it is going away the question is what will replace it?

also I have a complaint with the ribbon ads that appear on the bottom of the page (currently for Assassins Creed 3) 3 times in a row (including this video) I go to watch a video, and then when I go to click on the full screen button (because the ribbon takes up the bottom quarter of the screen, and won't go away except for time) I end up clicking on the ad because the ad is a rectangle, but looks like it has an arc free, and I am actually disappointed if my clicking this ad results in revenue. I can understand, and maybe even defend the intro commercial to videos as it can offset the cost of maintaining the server space to store/archive it. I can understand the ads that cover the screen, but play the video in the middle for the same reason (though it is funny when they both happen at the same time, and are for different games/things), and of course the side ads are fine i guess to keep the site free, and operational, but essentially tricking users to click on the ribbons that cover the bottom quarter of the screen on a wide-screen monitor (and you should know because your site is optimized for widescreen monitors) that requires me to scroll twice as much when reading any article/review, or I must go full screen on the video because there is no way to turn it off without having to wait for it to turn off.

on the thing of teaching people stuff. I found it insightful, but I would like to add that when teaching someone something see what they can figure out, give them a chance to try, and then teach. you should always start by teaching the person with something that has reasonably easy entry level (not saying that you need to start with something "easy" per-say, but not something that will fly over their head)
like for teaching a fighting game Soul Caliber, and maybe Super Smash bros have the nicest entry levels, but they can still be quite steep, while street fighter, and Dead or Alive can easily overwhelm anybody who doesn't know what they are doing.
then for things like Magic I have actually taught a few people how to play, and yes I will agree with the point that some people just want to try, and learn it on their own, and I had one of them, but these are also the people that you need to maybe have to teach based on quizzing, and correcting: like asking what some abilities are that are not spelled out, or by asking them about some of the more common abilities, and be willing to explain if they don't know them. I have also taught at least one person who had to be handheld (these are the people who those "learn magic decks" are designed for, but they are actually not really practical for it. as a note for teaching someone magic (these are things I have tried, and failed teaching because of):
don't give them "your best deck" because it probably at least 1 or 2 dynamics that they either won't understand, and you will have to take it from them to explain.
don't have them build a deck because that either takes an explanation of probability distribution, and/or a good understanding of the game dynamics, and principles (though do show them a reasonable process for building a deck, or even an explanation of the way you built the deck they are using)
don't teach them by taking them to like a sealed, or draft event because that is just a big thing waiting to happen (did not do this myself, but had to watch, and then later actually teach the person myself)
don't assume that just because you were torchored to learn means that others will learn it that way.
don't just hand them a rulebook, and say read it (again I did not do this, but again I had to clean up after it) the rulebook is for intermediate to advanced player, and only really for tournament play.

Oh god, why did you have to bring up Jnco's? (Jincos? You know... I don't remember how to spell it)

Ugh, that was the absolute worst thing I ever saw someone wear, I mean... really, they looked they were wearing a dress.

Jncos...so many memories lol.

I loved those pants, I had like 5 pairs of those back in the day I don't ever remember them getting as big as that picture above though...those are just ridiculous lol.

As someone who taught an actual fighting game novice, someone who hadn't played any fighter game seriously before how to play Blazblue to a point where they now can keep up with me and has actually taken matches from me, I think my insight may be relevant here. Oh yeah, they were female btw, not that it matters.

I feel there is a huge difference between playing normally and going out for blood or holding back and letting people do stuff. In fighters there's ALWAYS gonna be pressure, even if your foe is someone a tenth as good as I am, if you're not used to facing someone who puts up the pressure and take comfort in me letting you do stuff, even though this worse player can't do half the combos I can, you still are going to lose if you aren't used to playing under pressure.

There's different levels of learning you see, different aims. If you aim to teach someone how to be "good", actually properly "good", their fate is to be destroyed repeatedly by many many people, you included, until they eventually get good. The important thing is to do it in a positive way.

Don't take matches as goals for victory, make them LEARNING EXPERIENCES. Then, the victory is achieved every time your student learns something, every time they manage to predict and counter your action, every time they land their best combo or use a distortion to finish you off. Small little tasks like these can make teaching someone how to play a fighting game much more pleasant, as long as both people understand what's being achieved and we don't have a student expecting to kick ass from day one, cause that's just not possible.

Now, if you're NOT going to try and teach people how to get legitimately "good" but are just aiming to mess around with them, that's a whole other host of criteria you need to adjust.

By the way, my student actually has gone to local fighter tourneys and has actually had a game on-stream after qualifying to the third level of the tourney, I can post it if you like, my method works, yeah, she did lose but she got on stream, how many people do you know who reached that level on their first fighter of their life, half a year or so after first playing it? :D

now mikes gone as well? fack me! seems like escpapees are becoming an endangered species :(

I really enjoy these off topic discussions, although oddly I have had the same problem with some of my favorite T-Shirts. I like them some of them have sentimental value but some of them are disgusting, so I had to persuade myself to throw them out just the other day =[

You guys should do an all star blast from the past podcast..wow the rhymed really good. Anyhow, get Russ, Steve and Mike to do one together somewhere down the line.

Also, Mike can't leave yet, he hasn't been editor in chief.

JambalayaBob:

I too have noticed and it makes me sad. I was just getting to know you guys. Is this really something to be expected? Does a career in this bushiness simply have and expiration date
?

Yeah I think I ruined my friend's connection to SC2 because he got the trial version and we were doing a 2v2 playing against the super-easy computer he was having fun destroying the zerg, and then I just stormed his army and killed everything. He was pissed >_>

Mike i've been listening from the beginning and when you came on I was like... who the F is this guy... and then you quickly became irreplaceable. That really really sucks your going away, hope you can make guest appearance(s) in the future. Your a top ingredient in the hypothetical Podcast dream team lead by the no longer there Steve Butts. Will never forget the pickle story! :)

At least "Hammer" (aka. Baloon) pants aren't coming back, I'm so ashamed of that time in my life. Picture it, a time when even the overweight, shyest, whitest kid in an all white class wore those. It gives me shivers

Mike's dead bugs: Have you considered investing in one of those pinhole or fiber optic cameras?
Mike's last podcast: Nooo! you can't leave, your crazy balances out Susan's. There'll be a crazy vacuum and Susan might explode, killing Greg in the process.

But seriously, you will be missed.

Captcha: It's incredibly Delicious
Nice

I completely get that you're better at Soul Calibur than other people are.
I have had very similar experiences trying to teach a friend how to play SC3. and with in 40 seconds they were beating me every time.

The people who made Soul Calibur discovered how to bottle and sell beginners luck, Especially in SC 2 where I could pretty reliably beat Arcade on Very Hard with out looking at the screen.

Mikeyfell:
I completely get that you're better at Soul Calibur than other people are.
I have had very similar experiences trying to teach a friend how to play SC3. and with in 40 seconds they were beating me every time.

The people who made Soul Calibur discovered how to bottle and sell beginners luck, Especially in SC 2 where I could pretty reliably beat Arcade on Very Hard with out looking at the screen.

Soul Calibur has this button-mashing-friendly thing so it's both fun for beginners and also kinda easy to get into if you don't have hundreds of hours to spend but can kinda sorta understand what you're supposed to be doing in the game through prior fighter experience.

It doesn't have this thing like in games such as Guilty Gear where there's a whole host of systems you need to internalize to a point where they're more like muscle twitches that happen on reaction rather than conscious "I should do this" thoughts so it's much more approachable from a beginner standpoint.

I tackled SC4 seriously for a time and I had a good time with it..but alas..the complexity of the 2D air-dasher-style fighters won me over in the end.

Sad to see (or hear) Mike's departure. Hope to see your mayonnaise tasting reality show soon. :P

Mike Kayatta:

JambalayaBob:

Eppy (Bored):

Thanks guys, I'll miss you too. Fortunately, I'm not completely leaving The Escapist, though. I'm going to keep contributing as a non-staffer so I have more time to invest in Mike's Magic Kisses LLC (a subsidiary of Mike's Million Dollar Ideas).

Please don't tell anyone this because I like them all but you were my favourite podcastee. From condiments to silly tape death threats everyone else was just a little boring in comparison!

ben---neb:

Mike Kayatta:

JambalayaBob:

Eppy (Bored):

Please don't tell anyone this because I like them all but you were my favourite podcastee. From condiments to silly tape death threats everyone else was just a little boring in comparison!

Thanks, I won't tell any of them, I promise. And since we're spilling secrets, you were always my favorite podcast listener. Just don't tell anyone else in this thread!

The "words on the ass" thing bothers me as well.
Not that I wont check out a girls ass anyway, but that text is her basically saying to the world "Pay attention to my ass, please!" which is weird to me. Especially the younger the wearer.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here