Escape to the Movies: Argo

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Argo

MovieBob gives us a look at what events led up to Argo.

Watch Video

I've always liked Ben Afleck. Good to see this one turned out well. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks Bob. :)

Despite some noticeable hit and misses throughout his acting career, it's been great that he's been able to hold his own as a director more than the former. The premise of this film (which I knew somewhat about historical-wise) is very intriguing and it's also good to know, at least according to Bob that it doesn't emphasize pure drama over self awareness and vise versa within the confines of an historical backdrop...

...*sighs* that was a pretty dense sentence.

This sounds awesome and I've been looking forward to it for a while, I'm disappointed by the lack of Jack Kirby. I've only just realised that I was secretly hoping that Argo would turn out to be an 80s action film with Arnold Scharzenegger playing Kirby. Ah well. Spy thrillers are awesome, so I've no right to complain.

This one looks really good but I just can't muster up any excitement for it. I know if I went I'd enjoy it but I don't have the motivation to make it to the theater. It's weird.

will watch it. afleck really does make good movies. surprisingly good. guess it will come out few months here in australia. dred 3d already comes out by the end of this month.

Historical Espionage thriller that is really good.

MUST GO SEE NAOW.

So...wait....Here comes the Boom gets a recommendation?

You know, just hearing Bob recount the plot for this one makes it sound unbelievably ridiculous. I can see why it would be interesting to watch, though. Might have to check it out.

It's rare to catch an episode where MovieBob actually likes it without ranting about how the audience needs to "read between the lines and appreciate the layered Jungian character development" etc, etc.

Some of us watch movies just because we want to be entertained.

Argo's getting a lot of praise, but since The Artist won Best Picture I'm not exactly anticipating the Oscar judges are down to earth enough to pick movies that anyone would want to watch five minutes after the hooplah is over.

Jetsetneo:

Compared to the other movie, yes. That doesn't actually mean it gets a recommendation. Think of it this way.

Do you want me to hit your arm with a 3 pound hammer, or a 1 pound hammer?

Here Comes The Boom is MORE thoughtful and uplifting than Won't Back Down?

Hoooooooooooooooly Shit.

Poor Jack Kirby, doesn't even get credit for helping to save lives...

Here's hoping a lot of Americans see Argo if only to watch that first sequence where they explain the origin of the Iranian Revolution and why they aren't viewed as positive in the country to this day.

You mean Adam Sandler wasn't Oscar nominated for his role in Jack and Jill?
Holy shit what is this world coming to?

Was initially excited about this film, then very wary when it appeared to be dismissive of the Canadian contribution, but Affleck set things straight so I'm back to excited.

It's not Aye-Raaaaan.

It's Ih-Rahn.

Fucking Americans.

The Gentleman:
Here's hoping a lot of Americans see Argo if only to watch that first sequence where they explain the origin of the Iranian Revolution and why they aren't viewed as positive in the country to this day.

I haven't seen the film, but it helps to know that the Shah wasn't just an American ally, he was installed by America. Iran had a functioning democracy until 1953, when the democratically elected assembly decided to raise the price of Iranian oil. The CIA sent a guy named Kermit Roosevelt II with a briefcase of cash and funded a coup by the Iranian army officer, who declared himself Shah (king).

All of this is to explain why, when they overthrew the Shah in 1979, so much of their anger was directed at America.

Wow it sound really interest. I would check that out if I were going to the cinema any time soon (unlikely).

Ever since seeing gone baby gone i was shocked to see Ben Affleck was far more talented behind the camera then he ever was in front of it, I've been looking forward to this movie more than anything all year, glad to see a positive review for it.

The films looks like it's going to exude class in every trailer I've seen of it. Really not at all surprised it's good.

Kinda surprised you didn't review Looper though. That film was soooooo much more than the trailers led you to believe.

vxicepickxv:

Jetsetneo:

Compared to the other movie, yes. That doesn't actually mean it gets a recommendation. Think of it this way.

Do you want me to hit your arm with a 3 pound hammer, or a 1 pound hammer?

Yeah pretty much. I had the misfortune of winning a draw that my girlfriend had me enter to the premiere night of Won't Back Down. They can squeeze some touching moments in but overall there's nothing really heart warming about it, unless you consider rallying up a an angry loud Tea Party like mob to fight against and overthrow their schools teacher union which is the primary reason why their kids are going to end up in jail rather than going onto college. And yes, despite the recent occupy protest with thousands of college grads in debt and unemployed the movie still backs the only long term goal for these elementary school kids is to get into college. No alternative routes, no actual planning on what to do there, just graduate high school and get into college then your set.

And I don't know, while part of the message is about school children in poor neighbourhoods not getting an opportunity, I thought in the States that was more of a Ghetto thing? In this movie they talk about being a poor neighbourhood but it all actually seems very middle class. Rather than have the guts to bring an actual ghetto home/school life to screen it feels like it's been designed that they're just barely poor enough to be somewhat believable but not too much to upset the target suburban mom audience.

Just a horrible movie overall.

I still have trouble getting my head round ben affleck as maker of good movies.

When I started seeing ads for this movie, I remembered having read about the mission back when it was first declassified, although I don't remember where. The Jack Kirby thing rang a bell.

And did Bob not-so-subtly claim this movie was too good to win an Oscar?

bigdork:
I haven't seen the film, but it helps to know that the Shah wasn't just an American ally, he was installed by America. Iran had a functioning democracy until 1953, when the democratically elected assembly decided to raise the price of Iranian oil. The CIA sent a guy named Kermit Roosevelt II with a briefcase of cash and funded a coup by the Iranian army officer, who declared himself Shah (king).

*sigh* The more things change...

CosmicCommander:
It's not Aye-Raaaaan.

It's Ih-Rahn.

Fucking Americans.

Well, we have a president who enunciates "Pockeestahn" so I think it's a wash.

In the meantime, is anyone other than me a little spooked that a notoriously ridiculed actor like Affleck turned out to be someone who could choose some good stories and direct them very competently?

If he had foregone the effort to coattail Matt Damon and gone straight into directing after Good Will Hunting, we might be talking about him these days in the same breath with David Fincher and Martin Campbell instead of Luke Wilson and Vin Diesel.

They're making a CG "Peanuts" movie?

Clever snark escapes me. That's just awful.

Um, the Vietnam War wasn't declared.

May see this one.

It took me a moment to realize what the Charlie Brown upset face was about, been I did, I could only say ". . . Oh, no . . ."

Regarding the credits-stinger;

Are the makers of The Lorax adapting Charlie Brown, or...?

If so, you might as well give Akira to Uwe Boll for how much of a disservice, nay, insult it'd be to the source material.

Falseprophet:
Was initially excited about this film, then very wary when it appeared to be dismissive of the Canadian contribution, but Affleck set things straight so I'm back to excited.

Yeah, It's a nice change where the biggest declaration of inacurracy is "my role was more important than presented".

Is it me or is it getting hard to find Bob's movie reviews on this site?

Also: NO. YOU LEAVE CHARLIE BROWN ALONE.

No one making movies today is really going to get Schultz across very well. Although seeing Miyazaki (a few years ago) doing an animated sequence of Snoopy's imaginary adventures would perhaps be interesting. But... the Lorax guy? No. NO. You messed up Seuss twice, you don't get another.

So that's why Hollywood lets Sandler still have a career. Ok.

I remember hearing that the Ice Age guys were making Peanuts rather than the Despicable Me/Lorax guys.

I could be wrong. I'd actually be more excited if Illumination was making it rather than Blue Sky. (though I guess the founder of Illumination did work for Blue Sky at one point, so I guess it's not really wrong)

Either way, I'm not really looking forward to any sort of Peanuts reboot.

Scott Kurtz really said it best

Good Grief

it's a perfect phrase for the way I'm feeling about new Peanuts content in a post Schulz world.

Charles Schulz always insisted that only he could draw Peanuts. I know this because it said so in his obituary.

Nobody is trying to draw new Peanuts comic strips. The daily syndicated feature, which still runs in papers, consists of reruns. But last year, Boom Studios released a new Peanuts comic book that features brand new stories written and drawn by not Charles Schulz.

And now there's news of a new feature length animated movie, by the makers of Ice Age. That's right. I said the makers of Ice Age. The new movie, we're being told, will be scripted by Craig Schulz and Bryan Schulz, who are Schulz's son and grandson. We're being told this because why? That's good news? That means it's going to be okay?

Look, I'm a cartoonist, and while my comic strip is pretty retarded when compared to Peanuts, I care very deeply about the work and the characters that inhabit it. I love my wife with all of my heart but I don't want her writing PvP. Nor my brother, who is probably the only other person on the planet who thinks about PvP as much as I do. I don't have kids but if I did I would encourage them to tell their own stories with their own characters and not feel burdened to carry my flag. If I wouldn't trust anyone else to get something as dumb as PvP right, how can we expect anyone else to get Peanuts right?

Dear America, it's okay for things to die. It's poetic and gives the work more meaning that there ISN'T more of it. We don't have to keep making shit until we dilute it to a point where we fucking hate it.

Nobody else can make new Peanuts because Peanuts was an expression of everything that was Charles Schulz. It was him channeled through ink onto paper. Any new Peanuts content can only be dirivitive works. If Charles Schulz didn't write and draw it, it's not Peanuts. It's a reasonable facimilie at best and an unreasonable one at worst.

End of argument.

I know that there are some cartoonists (Mork Walker, Dik Browne, Bil Keane), who worked with and groomed their sons to take over their comic strips. I have read nothing to indicate that this is what happened in the Schulz household. Ever. Everything I've ever read on the subject or heard from the man himself in interviews or talking directly to his widow was that the strip stopped when he stopped.

The man passed away hours before his final strip ran. I don't know how more clear he could have been on the subject.

Stop. Making. More. Peanuts.

For those of you sad at the lack of Jack Kirby, you can see some of the artwork he did for the fake ARGO production here:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19458_the-5-most-badass-teams-famous-people-to-ever-join-forces.html
It's extra funny to think of those as 5 minute doodles of his, knowing what he could do when he really put effort into it.
Getting back on topic, I'm excited for this movie and applaud Ben Affleck for taking up directing, because he's been knocking 'em out of the park lately.

I know that a lot of canadian journalists are bitching about the canadian involvement being underplayed, even after the post-production fix that Affleck made.

But I'm still really excited to see this movie.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here