Escape to the Movies: Argo

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Argo: really, surprisingly good. Good enough that I have to stop and take a hard look at my longstanding hatred of Ben Affleck. The fact that this is likely not going to win an Academy Award just goes to show you that the Oscars generally aren't worth paying attention to anymore.

For some perverse reason I was also kinda interested in seeing the Kevin James movie. Glad to hear there might be some substance in it around the unavoidable fat jokes.

Steve the Pocket:
When I started seeing ads for this movie, I remembered having read about the mission back when it was first declassified, although I don't remember where. The Jack Kirby thing rang a bell.

And did Bob not-so-subtly claim this movie was too good to win an Oscar?

bigdork:
I haven't seen the film, but it helps to know that the Shah wasn't just an American ally, he was installed by America. Iran had a functioning democracy until 1953, when the democratically elected assembly decided to raise the price of Iranian oil. The CIA sent a guy named Kermit Roosevelt II with a briefcase of cash and funded a coup by the Iranian army officer, who declared himself Shah (king).

*sigh* The more things change...

Making matters even worse the guy the US/CIA overthrew, Mohammad Mosaddegh, was neither militaristic or theocratic but rather academic and progressive. A quick summary from wikipedia:

An author, administrator, lawyer, prominent parliamentarian, he became the prime minister of Iran in 1951. His administration introduced a wide range of progressive social and political reforms such as social security, rent control, and land reforms.[4] His government's most notable policy, however, was the nationalization of the Iranian oil industry, which had been under British control since 1913 through the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (APOC/AIOC) (later British Petroleum or BP).

So Iran likely wouldn't be a theocratic state today if America didn't go in there and mess things up because they were going to cut into their oil profits.

I want to hear more about Here Comes the Boom/Won't Back Down. Please tell me that's the intermission this week, or even better it's The Big Picture (I hate Schlocktober).

Strain42:
I remember hearing that the Ice Age guys were making Peanuts rather than the Despicable Me/Lorax guys.

snip

Peanuts, I'm not surprised about. Not that it should happen, I mean, they're still intensely marketable, and clean and safe for young audiences.

Someone wanna make some more Calvin and Hobbes, though (that's not Bill Waterston)? I WILL be the first on the picket line.

CleverCover:
Historical Espionage thriller that is really good.

MUST GO SEE NAOW.

You know what, I am with you on this.

I was not going to go see it but now Bob has convinced me of its quality.

I'm assuming this isn't a remake of the 2004 Hungarian movie by the same name, in which a man dressed as french fries gets murdered in a diner by some guy.
No sweat, it was a stupid movie anyway.

I saw Bryan Cranston in there!

I think I'd like to see this movie, if only to learn more about that history... Though I DO remember the hostage situation, and I remember it ending with Reagan basically saying "I don't negotiate with terrorists" or something like that and them being let go... Maybe that didn't happen and I was just lied to by whoever told me that story.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute. I HEARD The Peanuts were going to get a new movie and it would be CG, but now you're telling me that they're being made by the guys who made The Lorax?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-*goes on to infinity*

So what was that about the makers of The Lorax?

Jetsetneo:
So...wait....Here comes the Boom gets a recommendation?

That's what I said! I took a glance at the poster and immediately wrote it off. Looks like I might have to reconsider.

Good to hear this was good, I was looking forward to this!

And you forgot to mention that it has Bryan 'Heisenberg' Cranston in it? You do know how fanatical Breaking Bad fans are getting these days, don't you.
However, film looks good.

RandV80:

Making matters even worse the guy the US/CIA overthrew

US/CIA overthrew

US/CIA

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe Winston Churchill his merry band of Brits were involved as well.

Still I suppose America has the bigger reputation for pulling shit like this during the Cold Wa--oh wait, we still do this kind of thing.

DAMN IT XCOM AD MOVE THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY! *click*

anyway...

they're making a peanuts movie? and its entirely made of cgi? ew....right in the childhood..

This reminded me of an episode of Hollywood Treasures. In one ep, the garage of Chambers' next door neighbor is sorted through. Among the memorabilia were portable makeup kits used by the CIA. They were the highest selling pieces at that auction, which included costumes and masks from Planet of the Apes, and probably just doubled in value after this movie.

Huh, well that's pretty cool that they focussed so tightly on the inspired-by-real-events serious spy drama side of it rather than indulging in self-referance.

Also, those two credits stingers are depressing and confusing respectively.

Still hoping a late Looper review, however I don't think that is going to happen now. I thought it was awesome personally either way!

Either way, this movie would probably have gone over my head but I am quite intrigued now, will have to check it out

First problem, 20 seconds in: the coup was a British job ("Operation Boot"), the direct result of Iran's decision to seize and nationalize the oil resources --- which it had previously sold to Britain, in exchange for development assistance and a cut of the profits. At one point Britain even mobilized to invade Iran "if necessary" to secure a key refinery.

While it's long been held in certain circles that the whole thing was just America's ball game, the reality is that the CIA assisted in the coup by British invitation.

Second problem, 50 seconds in: neither Korea nor Vietnam began as declared wars. Both were "police actions", each beginning with a Communist North invading an at-least-theoretically democratic South, resulting in UN resolutions authorizing force. Congress never passed a resolution for war in Korea, and did not pass one in Vietnam until the Tonkin Gulf Incident of 1964. It's now known that President Lyndon B. Johnson lied about the Tonkin Gulf Incident (an alleged naval attack on US destroyers, which didn't actually happen) to escalate the Vietnam conflict.

By contrast, the Iraq War was authorized by Congressional Resolution 114, on March 3, 2003, prior to the invasion. It's also notable to point out, before the inevitable yelling, that UN Chief Inspector Hans Blix reported to the UN Security Council in both January and March of 2003 that Iraq had not accounted for 1000 metric tonnes of chemical weapons, nor of "tens of thousands" of chemical-delivery warheads for artillery and missiles. These figures came from Iraq's own records of its stockpiles.

Full disclosure of historical events is a wonderful thing...

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled movie review.

All of that said, the review itself sounds really good, and I definitely plan on seeing this flick. Thanks, Bob!

this one honestly wasn't on my radar at all and sounds pretty good.
*puts it my mental list*
thanks Bob :)

Daria.Morgendorffer:

Strain42:
I remember hearing that the Ice Age guys were making Peanuts rather than the Despicable Me/Lorax guys.

snip

Peanuts, I'm not surprised about. Not that it should happen, I mean, they're still intensely marketable, and clean and safe for young audiences.

Someone wanna make some more Calvin and Hobbes, though (that's not Bill Waterston)? I WILL be the first on the picket line.

Oh yeah, me too. Lucky for us, Watterson is a recluse who is very adamant about Calvin and Hobbes stuff not popping up.

With any luck we can find a way to protect it once he dies.

...I wonder if he'd be willing to pull a Willy Wonka and bestow the complete rights to the characters to some plucky young fan who would treat them right :P

Just got back from seeing it and I thought it was excellent, if your a fan of historical dramas this one is a must see in my opinion.

I have to say, Ben Affleck has really been making some awesome movies lately and I really hope he gets recognized for his directing skills because he definitely has a talent for making intense dramas.

I think as he gets older his acting ability is starting to really shine, perhaps that plays more to his older, more mature look but he definitely is starting to set himself above his peers.

I saw Argo last night. I'm also old enough to remember the Iranian Hostage Crisis rather vividly. The movie is every bit as good as Bob claims, but let me add, the period work is stellar. It doesn't just capture the visceral look of the era, it captures the mood, the zeitgeist if you will.

Also, the visual style of the cinematography was stunning. It was as if a modern filmmaker decided to make a movie with equipment and processes from 1979. It doesn't look like it was made then. It's clearly a polished work with modern technique, and some essential CGI to recreate images one couldn't get today. But it evokes the styles, color palettes, film stocks, lenses, etc., that were popular at the time.

See this. It is amazing.

I just came back from seeing this. I thought it was pretty good.

Consider that a recommendation. :)

The Gentleman:
Here's hoping a lot of Americans see Argo if only to watch that first sequence where they explain the origin of the Iranian Revolution and why they aren't viewed as positive in the country to this day.

Don't be daft chief, anyone who would actually benefit from the knowledge will be going into the cinema(if they go at all) with 48 straight hours of "LIEBERAL HOLLYWUD ELITES DENIGRATIN 'MURICA!" rabble-rousing ringing in their ears courtesy of Right Wing Reality.

MovieBob:
Argo

MovieBob gives us a look at what events led up to Argo.

Watch Video

thanks for the complete lack of "spoiler warning" there, you dick.

i saw the advert for this and thought 'wow, i'm genuinely interested to see that', and DIDN'T look it up online to see if it was true, because i DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

ten seconds into your fucking video: oh, ok, everyone makes it out fine. well, that's that movie all wrapped up, fuck all point me spending 10 to go and see it now is there?

are you aware of toy story 3? do you realize that the best moment of that film was when the main characters DIDN'T die? because you were sat there thinking 'wow, this really is it, all that sadness, hopelessness, everything, it was spot on. they can't make it out.', and then, when suddenly they did make it, you were euphoric.

the thrill of a movie like Argo is that the odds are almost impossibly stacked against them, they are almost certain to die. you watch it hoping they can get out, or find someway to make their loss count for something.

thanks for completely fucking ruining that.

HotFezz8:

MovieBob:
Argo

Watch Video

i saw the advert for this and thought 'wow, i'm genuinely interested to see that', and DIDN'T look it up online to see if it was true, because i DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

ten seconds into your fucking video: oh, ok, everyone makes it out fine. well, that's that movie all wrapped up, fuck all point me spending 10 to go and see it now is there?

are you aware of toy story 3? do you realize that the best moment of that film was when the main characters DIDN'T die? because you were sat there thinking 'wow, this really is it, all that sadness, hopelessness, everything, it was spot on. they can't make it out.', and then, when suddenly they did make it, you were euphoric.

the thrill of a movie like Argo is that the odds are almost impossibly stacked against them, they are almost certain to die. you watch it hoping they can get out, or find someway to make their loss count for something.

i want to take this on from just frustration a little to something that might be useful;

spoiler warning, that's all you had to say, once, spoiler warning. I'm pissed because i now in all likelihood won't even watch this movie. there's no point, yes there could be good scenes, good performances etc. what's the point? i know how it ends.

Okay, Bob, you know that thing at the end when you wrote "AN MMA Fighter"? That's technically incorrect, as it should be "A MMA Fighter." You didn't do that though. Thank. You.

I really hate when spelling conventions get in the way of phonetics. You would say it "An em-em-ay fighter", and I feel it should be spelled as such. I don't care if it's a consonant, it's pronounced "em".

...I literally am just commenting because of that. Thanks, and please don't change it.

HotFezz8:

HotFezz8:

MovieBob:
Argo

Watch Video

i want to take this on from just frustration a little to something that might be useful;

spoiler warning, that's all you had to say, once, spoiler warning. I'm pissed because i now in all likelihood won't even watch this movie. there's no point, yes there could be good scenes, good performances etc. what's the point? i know how it ends.

You're amazingly angry for no good reason. If you go see the movie, which you still should because it's an amazingly good movie, they proclaim within about ten seconds of showing the title that it's "BASED ON A TRUE STORY". So your anger is completely unjustified.

Seriously, go see it. I actually enjoyed it better knowing how it would end.

Ftaghn To You Too:

You're amazingly angry for no good reason. If you go see the movie, which you still should because it's an amazingly good movie, they proclaim within about ten seconds of showing the title that it's "BASED ON A TRUE STORY". So your anger is completely unjustified.

Seriously, go see it. I actually enjoyed it better knowing how it would end.

No shit, I didn't need to go to the movie for that, it said so in the trailer.

And it was based on a true story. So? So all movies based on a true story have a happy ending? Ridiculous.

I'm pissed because the thrill of a story involving people escaping from a entirely hostile country full of people who unequivocally want to kill them lies in the fact they are very unlikely to survive. Knowing they survive sucks the enjoyment out of it as much as knowing Bruce Willis was dead would have ruined the sixth sense.

Chances are you enjoyed it better knowing how it would end because (I'm guessing, I don't know you from Adam) it relieved you from the need to be worried for any of the characters. You weren't missing subtle nuances whilst you looked over their shoulders for the people who might get them.

I'm also pissed because now the film has been effectively ruined I'm not going to spend my money going to see it. That means I'll wait for it to come out on the internet, then probably forget about that as well by the time there is a decent copy to watch, and so will have missed the movie entirely. I'm not a big enough Affleck fan to chase his movies down, either they grab me and pull me into the cinema, or they pass me by.

he forgot the invasion of the dom rep (operation power pack) -> civil war
Laotian Civil War
Nicaraguan Revolution and contra war in 60 and 70 (ca. 40.000 death)
the iran-iraq war is logical "conxclusion" to amerikas messing around, i mean, you KNOW where chomenei and saddam were coming from? you kno which force gave them weapons and trained them (similar to the mudjaheddin in afghanistan..)
interesting is the invasion of panama-first they love the sick bloody dictator but thenm, as this realtionship begings to cool down, they invade the country and everything is back to fine..

(btw as i said bloody dictator, do you know who salvador allende was? Operation FUBELT, anybody? another of these democratically elected guys which were in the way of the u.s.a they thought a bloody dictator like pinochet would be much nicer, i mean, omore usefull. forget about the 30.000 victims of torture, the 3000 desapparecidos... what good is for good ol U.S is good for everybody, rite?

and the president with the nobel proze for peace, which mastered the "Killing, aerm, assasinationg of SUSPECTS without trial or conviction" (well, the right for a fair trial is only for white americans..it seems.)and using of torture.. well its so fucked up, its almost satirical if it werent so sad..

well if id search id find more. but im angry enough and my english gets worse

Psykoma:
I know that a lot of canadian journalists are bitching about the canadian involvement being underplayed, even after the post-production fix that Affleck made.

But I'm still really excited to see this movie.

Look, I know that I'm late to the party, but I just want to point out that my country has every right to be upset about our role in a serious crisis like this being severely downplayed. I appreciate Affleck's post-production fix, but don't be so callous.

trty00:

Psykoma:
I know that a lot of canadian journalists are bitching about the canadian involvement being underplayed, even after the post-production fix that Affleck made.

Look, I know that I'm late to the party, but I just want to point out that my country has every right to be upset about our role in a serious crisis like this being severely downplayed. I appreciate Affleck's post-production fix, but don't be so callous.

Agreed. While I thought the movie was very entertaining, but they pretty much portrayed the Canadian involvement as "please save us America!" In reality, it was a Canadian initiative and Ken Taylor did way more than just offer the Americans shelter. Hell, Jimmy Carter himself even said that 90% of the contributions to the plan were Canadian. Ken Taylor was easily the biggest hero in the events.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie a lot (although it's not in my top 5 movies of the year) I just wish Hollywood wouldn't always do the "Murrica, fuck ya" approach. The annoying thing is that the general public is going to take everything that happened in this movie as fact.

RedDeadFred:

trty00:

Psykoma:

Agreed. While I thought the movie was very entertaining, but they pretty much portrayed the Canadian involvement as "please save us America!" In reality, it was a Canadian initiative and Ken Taylor did way more than just offer the Americans shelter. Hell, Jimmy Carter himself even said that 90% of the contributions to the plan were Canadian. Ken Taylor was easily the biggest hero in the events.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie a lot (although it's not in my top 5 movies of the year) I just wish Hollywood wouldn't always do the "Murrica, fuck ya" approach. The annoying thing is that the general public is going to take everything that happened in this movie as fact.

I thought the movie was quite good as well, but that was just a problem I had with it. Especially the bit where they actually say: "Oh, just say the Canadians did it." I mean, I'm not the kind of guy who hates a movie if it's historically innacurate, but that's just irritating.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here