GinxTV: Dark Souls - Top 5 Places to Visit in Lordran

Dark Souls - Top 5 Places to Visit in Lordran

Ginx takes us into the dark recesses of Dark Souls.

Watch Video

You know I could never actually find the Ash Lake...I should probably work on that.

Stumbling upon the path to the Ash Lake is one of the most exciting (and frustrating, this being Dark Souls after all) experiences I ever had in a game. When you finally get to the lake, take a moment to visualise the distance you'll need to travel to return to Firelink Shrine...

As someone who's been to Ash Lake:
NEVER go to Ash Lake.
It is one of the most terrifying expeditions I've ever embarked upon in Dark Souls.
Ash Lake itself isn't so bad, if you can evade the Black Hydra, but The Great Hollow is the all time champ when it comes to inducing rage quitting.
Small platforms, and enemies that curse you, as well as long falls, make it a legendary puller of teeth.

Good list btw.

I think that I would have put Anor Londo above Ash Lake. And where was the Painted World? And my top would have to be the Kiln of the First Flame, a sort of Colosseum of the Apocalypse; a fittingly epic backdrop to the final fight of the game. Although that might be a bit of a spoiler for those who haven't finished the game. Other than that, a good list and nice to see that it is getting a bit of love for being something other than a grim medieval combat game. The new Oolacile township is quite a nice looking new area too.

Very well done, turning hundreds of hours of memories into a 4:40 montage. I think I agree about Ash Lake at 1. When I emerged from the hollow, it just struck me. The colors, the realization of how low I had really traveled, and the sight of the hydra all together was breathtaking. Thanks, I had finally begun to give this game a little rest and focus on other titles, and here I am preparing to...well, die :)

Beautiful locations, wish I could put enough concentration the game long enough to reach them. Still, stunning beauty would be worth it.

I love the spot in the Tomb of Giants from were you get a glimpse of Izalith. The Designers from From Software really went out of their way to have us die in beautiful settings.

I knew the ash lake would be #1.
It's such a terrifying place, but for different reasons compared to all the other terrifying places in Dark Souls. When you first enter the place, it feels like you've stepped into another world, and it makes you feel so small and out of place. I never felt as lonely as when I got to that place. The atmosphere is overwhelming. I was speechless.

PRAISE THE SUN!

I was happy with the scenery at the Ash Lake, but not to be there, whilst wanting to get over to the other side of the beach. Died, got angry, trying running in instead... got even more angry.

I also agree with the person who said the painted world, but I'm a fan of snow.

I was sort of expecting this to be a hidden locations video, but at all the same, it was fun to watch a tour guide of locations. The only really secret one was Ash Lake, since the rest are required for the story. Fun to watch still.

Aaah Ash Lake<3.
Really really enjoyed this video by the way. Very well written and put together. Good job.

Ash lake is my favorite place as well.
Also, I feel like the world or Lordran is the real protagonist in Dark Souls. It's just so magical.

Slightly disapponted the Painted World isn't on here, but i will agree that the Ash Lake is definitely a sight to behold.

And it damn well should be because the trip down there can be pretty damn excrutiating without the safe landing spell and a lot of patience.

Oh I loved Ash Lake. When I (finally) made it down there, and its so bleak and empty, with the melancholy choral music playing, I found it truly haunting. I found it moreso later on...

Beat14:
PRAISE THE SUN!

I was happy with the scenery at the Ash Lake, but not to be there, whilst wanting to get over to the other side of the beach. Died, got angry, trying running in instead... got even more angry.

I also agree with the person who said the painted world, but I'm a fan of snow.

The only way I was able to get past that creature was to literally take all my armour off so I was as light as a feather and dash to the other side without getting touched once.

Getting back out was even harder.

Yes, it was my favourite location also. I specially liked the music:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!..............
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Ash lake was my favorite location
It was just awesome, it looked like somebodies afterlife

I wish I could play this game without getting frustrated and giving up.

Sigh.

This video feels like it was cobbled together really fast.
Good choices though.

Spartan1362:

Sigh.

My feeling exactly, along with the sigh. I love the game, but honestly don't have the time to spend grinding for such precious little progress in some areas. It was horrific at times. I had to stop playing it so I could just enjoy gaming again, without the rage. And still I feel almost guilty for not having finished it!

Kind of surprised they mentioned the Taurus demons, but kept showing Capra instead.

svenjl:

Spartan1362:

Sigh.

My feeling exactly, along with the sigh. I love the game, but honestly don't have the time to spend grinding for such precious little progress in some areas. It was horrific at times. I had to stop playing it so I could just enjoy gaming again, without the rage. And still I feel almost guilty for not having finished it!

At least you got further than the second level.

I thought the whole point of this video was to list the best places you might miss. Only the last one has that potential as the rest are required to visit. I would of mentioned the painted world as it's hard to miss, as well as returning to the asylum.

Good list, glad Ash Lake got number one, although, I personally would have had Kiln of the First Flame somewhere in there

Mugen Weston:
Good list, glad Ash Lake got number one, although, I personally would have had Kiln of the First Flame somewhere in there

Agreed, the kiln of the first flame was very cool. Particularly the entrance into it. I got to see that quuite a few times.

Never went to Ash Lake, although judging by all the praise it's getting I feel the sudden urge to play again. I actually loved the scenery and aesthetics of Dark Souls. If it had a better delivered storyline and more interesting characters it could very well be my favorite game

I came across the Great Hollow completely by accident. When I first found it I was expecting just a small side area with a chest of two but no, in true Dark Souls style I found myself once again descending further and further into the depths. When I finally reached Ash Lake I have to admit I was pretty blown-away. It was completely unexpected and a wonderful treat for those that had managed to negotiate the rage inducing platforming of the Great Hollow.

Liked the list, Ginx TV crew! Ash Lake is like the most pristine nectar injected right into my eyes after the pilgrimage through the most unforgiving gauntlet just to get there. Too bad I didn't have warp the first time. :(

erttheking:
You know I could never actually find the Ash Lake...I should probably work on that.

Entrance is at the far end of the swamp at the top of the tree ramp that is crowded by the jumping leeches. Attack the wall at the end. Go into the secret passage. Then you have to do it a second time behind the hidden treasure chest. Then prepare die a lot. Descend the Great Hollow carefully. Stick to the winding paths and you won't get lost, just stay focused. Prepare yourself for perhaps 15-30 minutes alone just descending and surviving.

Buy a Purge Stone from a shopkeeper and equip any anti-curse armor or rings you can (trust me on this. Those frog bastards look cute, but they are the most dangerous and annoying enemies in the game. You will get cursed and die a lot if you stand in their smoke clouds). Enjoy all the OP monsters... and the Hydra. Bring the warp ability for your bonfire. You'll regret having to trudge all the way back.

svenjl:

Spartan1362:

Sigh.

The only 2 things required to win any fight in the game are timing and patience. Otherwise, veteran players couldn't beat the game at only level 5 with unupgraded weapons or armor. Backpedal and 100% running speed due to equipping less than 25% total equipment carry are more deadly techniques than the heaviest armor (And my builds wear that shit!).

Message me if you want to know how to find almost anything or best tips for upgrading armor, weapons, leveling up, or beating a boss. I love the game so much that I want you guys to know the love that I have for this game.

almost make me want to carry on with my NG+
almost.
too few summonings and too many invasions last time i played

great video.

Makes me want to play dark souls now.

My favorite will always be the Painted World of Ariamis, but that's just because I have a specific thing for snow, mountains, torches, and night all put together. The Ash Lake certainly has a more universal appeal.

Loved the list. Never ran the gauntlet to the Ash lake myself but I respect those who manage to traverse those bastard curse frogs.

Sordin:
Loved the list. Never ran the gauntlet to the Ash lake myself but I respect those who manage to traverse those bastard curse frogs.

I actually ran it again last night in what's likely my 8th playthrough. Fully upgraded Paladin Armor and +22 humanity make that curse bar crawl like a slug.

The only truly dangerous parts are trying to go after the glowing treasures on the errant tree limbs that veer from the path. Run at even a modest pace and the basilisks won't keep up, or they fall off - in their enormous stupidity.

Nowadays I run players through Anor Londo whenever from the first bonfire inside. Lots of takers. Figures, that place is a living hell the first time; and a serious learning curve. Wish I knew then what I know now.

Bit late, but what's the music in the beginning of the video? It has a haunting beauty to it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here