The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2012: Orca

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Schlocktober 2012: Orca

Sea World will never be the same again.

Watch Video

So itīs Moby Dick with an Orca?

You know what?! Monster movies are weird!!

Clearly, someone on the Dishonored development team developed a phobia of whales as a result of this movie, because that's the only reason whales get horribly mistreated in the game lore.

You know what? I really like Schlocktober, but this is the first one that's made me seriously want to go out and watch this movie.

Captcha: Stay safe. Bit late for Richard Harris.

Ouch! That whale just took Bo Derek from a 10 to a 8.5

I used to call them killer whales, but now I call them Orcas, because killer whales, regardless of how true that name is in the wild, seems to condescending to me.

Whoa... okay that is surprisingly kicksss.

Well I'm glad a movie about an orca wasn't all black and white.
Shoulda called in SEAL team 6.

Well... that was one smart orca. Anyone got a harpoon? The ocean feels a little less safe now.

MrBaskerville:

I was WAITING for someone to make a Moby Dick reference! BOB! You're slipping!

Though, honestly, if the guy actually quoted Moby Dick, it probably would have crappified the movie a bit...

GamemasterAnthony:

MrBaskerville:

Though, honestly, if the guy actually quoted Moby Dick, it probably would have crappified the movie a bit...

Except it's the whale that wants revenge.

Color me intrigued, and for monster movies that usually takes some doing. I might have to find this thing and watch it now.

So a "horror" movie has shots of whales swimming majestically to melodic mood music? ...what?

While I prefer Piranha as the superb Jaws knock off because of Joe Dante's humour, I may have to re-watch this one and see if my opinion changes.

When you said that the first part of the orca.s plan could be possible I like to know what you were smoking because 1 I don't even a orca can eat that much fish 2 there not that smart and if they are I say we put them on the top 3 things that may exterminate humanity in the future.

Red Oni:

Weird Al already made that joke on I Love the 70s, so... Not quite as funny as it should have been.

OT: I've actually heard of Orca and seen the miscarriage footage. It is incredibly uncomfortable (But Squishy Reproductive part shots are always going to be for me), but this still sounds like something I really would consider watching. It feels more like a good movie than a silly knockoff, and that's what ropes me in.

Good show, Moviebob.

Didn't that ice berg bit also happen in futurama?

DVS BSTrD:

GamemasterAnthony:

MrBaskerville:

If only Melville have managed to pen Moby Dick 2!

shogunblade:

Red Oni:

Weird Al already made that joke on I Love the 70s, so... Not quite as funny as it should have been.

OT: I've actually heard of Orca and seen the miscarriage footage. It is incredibly uncomfortable (But Squishy Reproductive part shots are always going to be for me), but this still sounds like something I really would consider watching. It feels more like a good movie than a silly knockoff, and that's what ropes me in.

Good show, Moviebob.

I've been caught! You haven't seen the last of me! Hahaha! (tosses smoke bomb)

Well, here's to more awesome monster movies with insane ideas.

Daveman:

Why yes, it did. It ate all the penguins.

Mortamus:
Well, here's to more awesome monster movies with insane ideas.

Daveman:

Why yes, it did. It ate all the penguins.

I knew I recognized that scene in Orca from somewhere.

As for the movie itself, the thought of the orca knowing enough to blow up that building blew my mind, I know there's the whole suspension of disbelief but seriously after that it could've used a gun and I wouldn't have been surprised.

well this explains the dead orca in Jaws 2...

That is the killer-whale equivalent to a dude in sunglasses casually walking away from an explosion. That is incredible.

My dad loved this movie; thanks to this reminder of the film's existence, I'm going to get a copy of it for him now.

I'm fairly certain the miscarriage scene scarred me as a child.

It does not surprise me that Richard Harris was in one of these movies. I've seen his collaborations with Godfrey Ho. It was probably an easy time for both. Harris worked for a month, got paid for 6 and had a nice vacation in the Asian world. Godfrey for enough material out of Harris for about 2 dozen movies.

MB202:
I used to call them killer whales, but now I call them Orcas, because killer whales, regardless of how true that name is in the wild, seems to condescending to me.

For more justification, Orcas aren't whales. They are dolphins.

Draconalis:

MB202:

For more justification, Orcas aren't whales. They are dolphins.

My mind has just been blown.

There are few things from my childhood that I remember as vividly as _that_ scene...

How did I miss this? I mean I look up Dino De Laurentiis on Wiki and this film doesn't show up on his filmography. It look like someone need to update his info!
That ending scene when the orca slam the ice that guy was on remind me of that Futurama with the penguin. Oh and the joke with Free Willy at the end made me laugh!

I remember my dad talking about this movie when I was little and thanks to the wonderful days of Canal 5's movie trilogy weekends (I miss those), I remember watching this and thinking "meh, this kinda sucks" and mind you, I already watched many 80's horror flicks by then (I seriously miss those weekends).

That was a while ago, I'll definitely need to watch this again.

themilo504:
When you said that the first part of the orca.s plan could be possible I like to know what you were smoking because 1 I don't even a orca can eat that much fish 2 there not that smart and if they are I say we put them on the top 3 things that may exterminate humanity in the future.

An Orca doesn't need to eat all the fish as it's an apex predator so just going to an area of the ocean they usually don't will cause other sea creatures to flee. example birds in the garden cat walks through and birds and squirrels flee, yes house cats are apex predators too.

CK76:

DVS BSTrD:

GamemasterAnthony:

If only Melville have managed to pen Moby Dick 2!

Lord help us all when the greats of literature act like the movie biz and start penning unnecessary sequels...

CAPTCHA: no-brainer

True that, Captcha...in more ways than one!

Funny enough, there are almost ZERO human fatalities by wild orcas... though the CAPTIVE orcas have attacked a few people.

Still, it's very true that, yes, orcas have been known to beat the living tar out of, and then eat, giant great white sharks. Which is awesome.

Obviously that dude never heard dynamite fishing or electric fishing.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here