Movie Trailers: We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists - Trailer

We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists - Trailer

This documentary comes with a cast of unknown thousands.

Watch Video

I was watching a similar documentary on youtube a few weeks ago, but sadly halfway through it was removed due copyright infringement...

MegaR:
I was watching a similar documentary on youtube a few weeks ago, but sadly halfway through it was removed due copyright infringement...

The irony... it's addictively sweet.

OT: The main problem I have with documentaries like this is that they usually lobby too hard for one side of the argument. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

"Final boss of the internet."

Why am I suddenly thinking that they will be taken down by MMO players hired by the government? I did admit that it felt a bit one sided, of course they need information from the other side and their opinion on this group.

But I'm liking it, this may be interesting....

*gets distracted by Fappy's avatar*

...Ugh. What was I saying?

That's right, looks interesting. I want to know if they are terrorists or freedom fighters. If aim for the innocent the side they are at are obvious.

StormShaun:
That's right, looks interesting. I want to know if they are terrorists or freedom fighters. If aim for the innocent the side they are at are obvious.

One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist. Think about it. It's all a matter of perspective...

Dammit Fappy, your avatar is so damn distracting -_-

nodlimax:

StormShaun:

One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist. Think about it. It's all a matter of perspective...

Dammit Fappy, your avatar is so damn distracting -_-

Agreed. I really want to cheer these guys on... but sometimes they make me nervous. I don't want my info released to whoever (although... it's probably out there already) but I love the idea of policing and sticking it those who are "in charge" and abuse the privilege.

*gets distracted by the crowd of distracted distractees*

Oh, look! Kitty ears.

Looks cool, although they seem to be being presented like heroes (or anti-heroes which tbh they'd definitely prefer) and I'd like to think at least some of it will cover the much darker side of anonymous that I think a lot of people aren't OK with. Personally I view them a bit like I view PETA. They're headed in the right direction but if they had everything their way they'd swing it way too far.

Also slightly curious to see if purchasing my V for Vendetta poster is gonna put me on some sort of government list...

Lulzsec were NOT hacktivists. They were essentially just dicks.

Of course they're powerful, they are everyone and no one. They fight for an ideal and not a person or a country. Once an anonymous stop fighting for such ideal that person cease to be anonymous and anyone that fight for such ideals without exposing themselves automatically become anonymous.

Countries may have changing alliance and leaders may lead followers to kill different people each day. But ideals are eternal and bullet proof, as long as someone believes in it and act upon it it will remain forever.

It's freaking genius if you ask me.

They are a power to be reckoned with... Until they aren't, remember how a certain mexican cartel almost KILLED one of them? Granted, they did make the cartel negotiate, but fact is, they are kids, who don't know the power behind certain people they're pissing off. They can destroy my account, my credit card, whatever, I'm a nobody, but what happens when they steal data for say, CIA, and get caught? Are they prepared for the shitstorm?
I'm sorry, but I can't see any ideal behind them, what I see is an excuse to do damage, like the original skinheads did, hiding behind a poor vs rich facade to join in misft groups and kick ass around London. It's not an ideology, it's an excuse to do what you enjoy: messing up the internet.
Now Assange, I hate him, for me that man is a terrorist, but I'll grant him something: he has BALLS, and he's messing with the big guys, proof of that is that the world wants him dead.

There's no such thing as a 'hacktivist.' They're all just a bunch of anarchist assholes who've watched V for Vendetta one too many times. All they want is to cause as much mayhem and be as annoying as possible. As far as I'm concerned, they can all go take a long walk off a short cliff.

StormShaun:
"Final boss of the internet."

Why am I suddenly thinking that they will be taken down by MMO players hired by the government? I did admit that it felt a bit one sided, of course they need information from the other side and their opinion on this group.

But I'm liking it, this may be interesting....

*gets distracted by Fappy's avatar*

...Ugh. What was I saying?

The difference between terrorist and freedom fighter (or revolutionary) is simple: who's stronger and who wins, history defines those terms, not us, not the present. Just ask yourself: the french revolution had people dragged to the streets and decapitated, some were guilty (to non-legal rules, however legitimate in the eyes of the people) some were innocent, some never knew the difference because that was "how things worked back then", the rebels won. We praise them today. What if they'd lost? They would be reminded as bloodthirsty terrorists, who raped, decapitated and looted the good citizens of France. There's no right or wrong, only the concept of right or wrong, and the value is void until our reality and cultural references put those in place. A tree is a tree not because it's a tree, it's because we attributed such value. In other words, you should rather ask yourself, what information do you have, and from what you already know, what are the values you'll attribute to this given group of people. As I said before (another post), to me they are people who have an undeniable power, and are having FUN with it, and people might get hurt on the crossfire, all you have to do is realize how they THREATEN anyone who will not follow their principles in that video, tell them you despise them, and they'll hit you for speaking your mind. So much for their "freedom of speech". One last word freedom is a very dangerous thing, those who do not agree, read Leviathan, men cannot be truly free.

I... I just might throw up. Hurr... okay no, I'm fihuraaaaaaa!

Seriously, how can one retain anonymity while claiming responsibility? And again, how can retain anonymity by allowing themselves to be on record claiming to be a part of Anonymous?

In my mind, as soon as any of those idiots sends a crappy computer message warning of a possible attack, or jumps on camera (even with that commercial mask thing on) claiming to fight for free speech, they're not Anonymous. They might as well be in Lulzsec. I think the authorities know this, which is why we don't see these people arrested on the spot.

If the police actually thought that any of these yokels were actually Anonymous they would be detained...
Ahem: Section 24 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984
...and their computers searched.
Ahem: Article 2.16.1 of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (hey, they're hackers with access to the Internet)

---

Well that's just the Anonymous side of the film, but my thoughts on the general term "hacktivist"... yeah, okay, I have to question just how effective cyber terrorism really is when trying to enact positive change.

Besides, the whole thing seems to be made for older people who don't frequent the internet too often. Most people here will already know plenty about hackers and what they've been doing. I'm not THAT old and I frequent the internet: this film isn't for me.

So now people are stepping up to cash in and get some e fame? Anonymous, I r disappoint.

Laughed at the last part initial saw a penis
On the point personally I think it's a mixed bag with anonymous having so much power if there is a common cause it can be used for great things but if people get bored then you get lulzsec.
It has though become an effective symbol in recent times with the whole occupy wall st.
Kinda ironic how the beacons of truth don't want anyone to know who they are but i guess it doesn't matter

LysanderNemoinis:
There's no such thing as a 'hacktivist.' They're all just a bunch of anarchist assholes who've watched V for Vendetta one too many times. All they want is to cause as much mayhem and be as annoying as possible. As far as I'm concerned, they can all go take a long walk off a short cliff.

I think that's a large generalization there. There are parts of Anon that do a lot of good for the world. There are parts that simple cause harm. Like any group where you can never know exactly who does what, everyone is responsible when they do good, and everyone is responsible when they do harm.

Was the documentary made for the lulz?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNO6G4ApJQY
Now this is funny

DugMachine:
So now people are stepping up to cash in and get some e fame? Anonymous, I r disappoint.

I don't think Anonymous themselves have anything to do with it. I wouldn't be surprised if shit hit the fan relatively soon, assuming this isn't just some fan movie and it's actually being produced for profit.

I'd be surprised if all of Anonymous would be okay with someone else profiting off their sakes.

Another source is speaking up on this that doesn't seem to get it... awesome.
LulzSec, AntiSec, AnonOps, none of those are Anonymous. Anonymous is not made entirely or mainly of hacktivists, and most of them aren't activists or hackers. Not everyone that goes to 4chan or some other *chan or Encyclopedia Dramatica is Anonymous. The closest thing to a stated goal Anon has is having a good time, usually framed as lulz. Not everyone in Anonymous is a troll; I'd estimate around half do it on a semi-regular basis, a little fewer on a regular basis, a little fewer for a significant amount of time. Most if not almost all Anons can appreciate a good troll though. There are divisions within Anonymous, but since by separating themselves they stop being Anonymous, the divided or semi-divided or polarized or cliquish groups are even more invisible to the average person than Anonymous as a whole. The people who go on the street in Guy Fawkes masks based on V for Vendetta are a particular group within Anonymous, or rather a particular set of groups, and a lot of other Anons don't like them for different reasons, just as a lot of Anons don't like hacktivists.
If this movie actually goes over all that, then I guess I'm overreacting, but it seemed like the same media coverage, the same protesters, the same signs and slogans and repeated phrases, the same masks, the same kind of thing I keep seeing.

I.Muir:
Now this is funny

Ha! You GET that yellow van. For free speech, obviously. Just watch out for the dogs. This is all old school stuff but it's still pretty funny. Most people forget that Anonymous has it's roots clearly entrenched at 4chan. A few actual hackers would get pissed at something and find someone's passwords or phone number and real name, then share it with everyone at 4chan and let nature take it's course.

That is the true nature of Anonymous, it was never this "we hack for the rights on the downtrodden" nonsense we see today. It only has looked like that in recent history because the things that are pissing off the hackers just happen to be personal rights violations.

I find the whole idea to be interesting for only one reason. Because i've seen Ghost in the Shell and i can't help but make the connection to laughing man.

Yes the hacker groups are going to do damage to some and inspire others.

But what if they go to the extreme? What if they actually became essentially the Laughing Man?
Anyone who has seen the show knows how much of an impact he could have had/did have on that world. I see the same potential for Anonymous in our future.

What if they strong armed a pharmaceutical company into admitting they have had the cure for cancer for years and kept it secret because they make more money treating it than curing it? Or just leaked that info and it turned out to be true? Can you imagine the impact that would have on our world?

Potential is an amazing thing.

Pebkio:

I.Muir:
Now this is funny

Ha! You GET that yellow van. For free speech, obviously. Just watch out for the dogs. This is all old school stuff but it's still pretty funny. Most people forget that Anonymous has it's roots clearly entrenched at 4chan. A few actual hackers would get pissed at something and find someone's passwords or phone number and real name, then share it with everyone at 4chan and let nature take it's course.

That is the true nature of Anonymous, it was never this "we hack for the rights on the downtrodden" nonsense we see today. It only has looked like that in recent history because the things that are pissing off the hackers just happen to be personal rights violations.

Or Scientology which ought to be a human rights violation
I wouldn't called them unified against anything in particular, just a few things which pick up momentum
Any good that comes from their actions is merely a bi-product

I.Muir:
I wouldn't called them unified against anything in particular, just a few things which pick up momentum
Any good that comes from their actions is merely a bi-product

See, Muir gets it. That's why I think there are actually two groups of Anonymous active right now.

The first is the Anonymous that emerged to lulz. We know them, we avoid them, they are the final boss of the internet. The few true hackers that gave only select things away and fun was had by all. Death threats, security systems, yellow vans, dogs, and fake messages sent for Oprah to read on live TV.

The second group, I'll call them Anonysheep, are the ones you see in this film. They wear Guy Fawkes masks, or the ninja shirt thing, or a bandana and wax speeches into cameras. They're the people who have idolized Anonymous because they happened to have done some good, by accident, for the cause of free speech.

A few people from Anonymous might've participated in Anonysheep things, but only because it would've been amusing; since the lulz is long gone, they've probably gone elsewhere. In general, they probably don't give a crap about what Anonysheep do or say. They laugh at the computer-voice messages sent to Fox news, they laugh at Fox news, they laugh at the people who believe Fox news, they laugh at me, they laugh at you.

And then they go back to subverting every cyber rule we have, even the good ones.

Anonymous aren't a group of tangible people, it consists of whoever happens to be up for whatever fad is going around the internet at the time. Like an angry mob that runs 24-7, as soon as people log off or stop taking part in their hijinks then they are no longer anonymous. There are those that are more involved, there are those that are less involved, but it is run on mob rule, they've no goal, no motives, no collective anything, they just do whatever takes their fancy, and that usually involves raiding an online poll or posting inappropriate comments on websites or review bombing someone they don't agree with.

There's no deeper meaning, there's no structure or point to it all. It's truly done "for the luls" and the people that are taking it more seriously and actively hacking or making stands as anonymous have no more authority over them than you or I (but mainly you, because I'm awesome).

It's just what happens when you give a bored person access to huge amounts of international social data and no personal responsibility.

Pretty gripping trailer! I will definitely check this out!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here