My Date With Pyramid Head

My Date With Pyramid Head

Visiting a haunted house to meet Silent Hill's iconic villain.

Read Full Article

Well, there are adrenaline junkies and there are adrenaline junkies. Some of them do extreme sports like sky boarding, but you get your fix being a Pyramid Head groupie.

Perhaps your review of Limbo should have twigged me to the fact that you're into scares. At least your fetish fits right in with the various others that the rest of us have.

Fortunately you weren't into Steve the Puking Guy. Now that would have been icky.

I really wish I could say I had as enjoyable an experience as you did, but I can't. The night I went, we were looking at hour to hour and a half lines (two hours for Walking Dead). We were there the entire night, but only got to see half of the houses and never had time to enjoy the street performers. And I never got to see the Penn and Teller house, because I was too damn tired by the end of it to go all the way to the other side of the park were the house was.

I guess it would have been OK if the houses were better, but in end, it just comes down to people popping out of doors with an annoyingly loud sound effect accompanying them. It was my first time at Horror Nights (the Silent Hill and Walking Dead themes drew me there), and I guess I was expecting a little more. The Silent Hill nurses were very cool and creepy, though.

I'm glad you enjoyed, Susan, and I'm sure plenty of other people loved it, too, but it's just not for me. I doubt I'll be going back anytime soon. Though a Bioshock or Doctor Who (weeping angels!) themed house would do the trick.

Crimson_Dragoon:
I really wish I could say I had as enjoyable an experience as you did, but I can't. The night I went, we were looking at hour to hour and a half lines (two hours for Walking Dead). We were there the entire night, but only got to see half of the houses and never had time to enjoy the street performers. And I never got to see the Penn and Teller house, because I was too damn tired by the end of it to go all the way to the other side of the park were the house was.

I guess it would have been OK if the houses were better, but in end, it just comes down to people popping out of doors with an annoyingly loud sound effect accompanying them. It was my first time at Horror Nights (the Silent Hill and Walking Dead themes drew me there), and I guess I was expecting a little more. The Silent Hill nurses were very cool and creepy, though.

I'm glad you enjoyed, Susan, and I'm sure plenty of other people loved it, too, but it's just not for me. I doubt I'll be going back anytime soon. Though a Bioshock or Doctor Who (weeping angels!) themed house would do the trick.

I'm sad you didn't get to at least enjoy the street performers. The lines are, indeed, very long. It's admittedly hard to enjoy everything Halloween Horror Nights has in just one night. It's gotten so big that you really do need several.

Is it just me, or is Susan the only one reviewing games anymore? I enjoy Susan's reviews, but where is everyone else?

I'm genuinely envious. I liked all the earlier Silent Hill games I've played quite a lot, and I've been cursing my inability to get close to Universal Studios in time for this event ever since I heard about it. I'm glad to hear that they pulled it off in style.

Curse you escapist! First escapist expo and now this? Stop making me seriously consider moving to the states!

I'm kinda a horror wimp, but that seems amazing. Particularly with the Silent Hill bit. I can't see anything like that working in anything but horror. Just don't have that unifying element of being kinda afraid for your life.

Unless you have the "Psssshhh you scared by that" dude in your life. Hate that dude.

HHN is now on my bucket list. It sounds too good to pass up. Last scare I had at a theme park was the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland and I was 7 (now 29)

I've never been to Halloween Horror Night and I really wanted to go to the Silent Hill attraction.

I now has a sad. :(

I'm glad that it's actually scary though since I had my doubts about it and I'm super glad that Pyramid Head was terrifying.

Susan Arendt:

Crimson_Dragoon:

I'm sad you didn't get to at least enjoy the street performers. The lines are, indeed, very long. It's admittedly hard to enjoy everything Halloween Horror Nights has in just one night. It's gotten so big that you really do need several.

I've gone to each one for the last three or four years (which is odd as I never make it a point to go, but always end up going with visiting family or friends). Anyway, once, I went on the very last night they decided to host it (after Halloween) and the lines were incredibly short. I don't think I waited more than 20 minutes to go in. It was GLORIOUS! We went through everything and took our sweet time.

I don't know if they still bother hosting it after Halloween, but if they do, then that's the time you want to go.

Whoa Whoa Whoa....clarifying question for you Susan:

Did Pyramid Head actually run at you or was that creative license in your description? I thought that PH never ran because running makes you less scary (See Michael Myers). Granted, I only played SH:1-3 and Homecoming so maybe he ran in the new one (or he's run before and I'm not paying attention).

Anyway, that sounds freaking sweet. Us here in Minnesota get ValleyScare (the theme park ValleyFair gets turned into five haunted houses with actors roaming the street) but I doubt it would compete with a horror theme park created by people who do movies...

tippy2k2:
Whoa Whoa Whoa....clarifying question for you Susan:

Did Pyramid Head actually run at you or was that creative license in your description? I thought that PH never ran because running makes you less scary (See Michael Myers). Granted, I only played SH:1-3 and Homecoming so maybe he ran in the new one (or he's run before and I'm not paying attention).

Anyway, that sounds freaking sweet. Us here in Minnesota get ValleyScare (the theme park ValleyFair gets turned into five haunted houses with actors roaming the street) but I doubt it would compete with a horror theme park created by people who do movies...

Oh, he ran, my dear. He most definitely ran.

Uh, here in Charlotte, NC a theme park called Carowinds does the same thing every year for the whole month of october and goes be "scare-owinds". They don't get the brand names obviously but it's still amazingly well funded and produced. It's great every year.

That sounds like a good bit of fun. Wish I could've seen some of the stuff; it sounds absolutely excellent.

Mrs.Susan Arendt. Your title is VERY MISLEADING, and i was really worried.
You see Pyramid head just isn't known for treating ladies "well".
I am glad this wasn't what i expected.

On a more serious note that sounded like tons of fun.

Was I the only one upon seeing the title expecting a raunchy and luridly detailed harlequin romance story ending with Susan being forced to choose between the penniless (but exciting) horseback riding Pyramid Head and the boring (but well meaning) Valtiel with guaranteed income?

Love hearing about this. Stuff like this is why I miss being able to go to Six Flags. Use to do something similar. Depended on the person, you would either get super serious or super silly. This was done so that kids could enjoy stuff too. Either way was a joy. My favorite one I went to involved being blinded by light. I always feel sorry when I hurt one of the guys for spooking me.

I love the fact that you stopped when you heard the air raid siren it's just that extra bit of nuance that gamers memories are tunnelled into to make them react with 'Well, Shit... we are all going to die.'

cricket chirps:
Uh, here in Charlotte, NC a theme park called Carowinds does the same thing every year for the whole month of october and goes be "scare-owinds". They don't get the brand names obviously but it's still amazingly well funded and produced. It's great every year.

I kinda hate Scarowinds, personally. The lines are always 1-2 hours per ride, so you'll only have time to get maybe two or three at most in during a night. It didn't feel worth it to me, despite having driven 3 hours to get there.

I would enjoy it about as much, if only it was 6-7000 kilometers closer.

Thanks for sharing. Felt a little like being there.

cricket chirps:

Pretty sure a major motion picture studio doesn't design the houses at Carowinds. :) The makeup for the walkers in the Walking Dead house, for example, used the actual molds from the show. I don't doubt that Scarowinds is fun, but I don't think you can really compare the scale.

Susan Arendt:

cricket chirps:
Uh, here in Charlotte, NC a theme park called Carowinds does the same thing every year for the whole month of october and goes by "scare-owinds". They don't get the brand names obviously but it's still amazingly well funded and produced. It's great every year.

Pretty sure a major motion picture studio doesn't design the houses at Carowinds. :) The makeup for the walkers in the Walking Dead house, for example, used the actual molds from the show. I don't doubt that Scarowinds is fun, but I don't think you can really compare the scale.

Agreed, it's nice but there is surely more money/experience going into Universal. I just wanted to mention it because it seems like a lot of people think that the one you went to is completely unique in what they do(which arguably could be true due to the scale of production). But i've been to both and honestly felt they were really close in size and production(meaning the realism of it and the work involved not the producers themselves). Slightly less long lines being at carowinds but all in all i felt they were both the same amount of fun.

._. still wish i could have gone to see the silent hill house this year.

I think part of the fun of the scare is that moment when an "imaginary" person or place becomes real. This isn't on the same level but I had a similar moment of disorientation when I visited the House of Seven Gables in Salem & the tour took us through the (claustrophobic) secret passageway into the attic. Definitely creepy!

Why does everyone keep talking about this? Can't you just talk about it between yourselves, just the other people who have gone? It's not like any of us can contribute anything to the conversation. What are we gonna talk about? How NOT there we were, or how much we might want to go but can't? Geez. Whatever.

(/jealousy)

greyscarf:
I think part of the fun of the scare is that moment when an "imaginary" person or place becomes real. This isn't on the same level but I had a similar moment of disorientation when I visited the House of Seven Gables in Salem & the tour took us through the (claustrophobic) secret passageway into the attic. Definitely creepy!

I'd imagine that probably is a large part of the case. I think most of us have seen so much horror related material from TV to movies to games that there's more chuckling and eye rolling than actually being scared by much of even the most well executed material. When you're out in the real world though and see something that's just not really supposed to exist except in fantasy, that all changes. Even if it is just a guy in a cheap hockey mask with a fake chainsaw in a place you've purposely gone to see cheap hockey mask wearing guys holding fake chainsaws, something changes when you really come face to face with it.

Good to know that even the non fans liked the house.

Although I believe hearts will be threatened by sirens from now on.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here