Trailers: Silent Hill: Book of Memories - Launch Trailer

Silent Hill: Book of Memories - Launch Trailer

I don't know about you but I prefer my memories in E-book form.

Watch Video

Dread? Suspense? STORY? Out with you. Silent Hill is about shooting monsters in the face with shotguns and co-op and running a bunch of linear maps like those indie zombie horde games that got completely annihilated by Left 4 Dead. It's about running around what looks like a Silent Hill theme park shooting paintballs at each other.

And then the giant rock monster giant appears and any sense of credibility this series might have had dribbles down its leg next to the congealing yellow trail that was once Resident Evil and Survival Horror as a concept has officially died.

SnakeoilSage:
Dread? Suspense? STORY? Out with you. Silent Hill is about shooting monsters in the face with shotguns and co-op and running a bunch of linear maps like those indie zombie horde games that got completely annihilated by Left 4 Dead. It's about running around what looks like a Silent Hill theme park shooting paintballs at each other.

And then the giant rock monster giant appears and any sense of credibility this series might have had dribbles down its leg next to the congealing yellow trail that was once Resident Evil and Survival Horror as a concept has officially died.

But you get to create and dress your own Avatar. Surely that is suspenseful. Suppose you pick a color you don't like. You're stuck with that now man. Stuck forever. /shiver

Why does those last few seconds remind me so much of Alice Madness Returns?
...Why was Jim Sterling looking forward to this again?

Swyftstar:
But you get to create and dress your own Avatar. Surely that is suspenseful. Suppose you pick a color you don't like. You're stuck with that now man. Stuck forever. /shiver

Oh god, you're right! GREEEEN! I WANTED GREEEEEEEN!

The game IS my worst nightmare. Seriously, rock golems? Tree monsters? This is the series about penis shaped worms! Not fucking Lord of the Rings.

They should have just given the series back to the original team, or reform them or whatever would need to be done. Or at least let the folks from Shattered Memories have control again, since they at least knew how to be psychological.

Now, I've never played an actual Silent Hill game before (I've seen some stuff), but... I can tell this looks nothing like a Silent Hill game. It looks like a FaceBook title based on a bad fanhack of Darkstone or the dreaded Spyro reboot known as "Skylanders". And what's up with all the glitchy animations? Somehow, they look like they're trying to make it scary, but also not make it look scary at the same time. Kinda like how Sonic '06's Eggman looks more and less ridiculous at the same time, if that makes any sense.

They've said that this is supposed to be a spin-off game, meaning it's intentionally going in a different direction...but honestly, it's going so far in a different direction that the "Silent Hill" label looks like it's just there to make them more money.

If you have a Vita already, there's a demo on the PS store you can play. I made a thread about my impressions of it, but to make it short here it's just not fun. It's about as basic as an ARPG can get, the levels are just a series of similar rooms connected by copies of hallways, and looks like it could have been a PSP game at one point. The touch controls make it a pain in the ass rather than enhance it as well. I was excited and now there is none.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here