The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2012: Attack of the Super Monsters

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Schlocktober 2012: Attack of the Super Monsters

MovieBob puts the schlock in Schlocktober with Attack of the Super Monsters.

Watch Video

Somehow, I am both aghast AND agog.

Somehow, I still feel like I hallucinated that entire film and episode of The Big Picture.

Ok that has got to be the biggest WHF I have ever seen!

I guess I can tick off at the most bizzare things I've seen list.

I didn't think anything could top the Hercules episodes... okay so this didn't but it came pretty damn close.

Yeah, the "WTF Did I just See" Pumpkin pretty much covers this.

EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWW THEY'RE BROTHER AND SISTER MERGING THAT'S SO GROOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSS!

I've really had it up to here with prude americans and their culture.

The thought that these people are at the helm of mainstream international culture is just sickening.

In other news: the idea of live action monster-puppets, toy vehicles and animated characters appearing onscreen at once is pretty darn genious.

Oh Japan, without you the world would be such a boring place.

You Cer sei a lot of messed-up stuff on this show.

I view a lot of Japanese media due to my weeaboo nature and I can still be surprised by some stuff. So I will stick with Japan, you so crazy.

I'm sure I've seen something similar, though it was more the anime people with their thunderbirds vehicles were rescuing and protecting errant dinosaurs (released by a world shaking cataclysm as opposed to an actual attack), and one 'episode' actually had a poacher as a villain.

one word WTF.
That was both the weirdest and yet still one of the most cliché thing I have ever seen in my live danmit moviebob show me thing that don't look like dreams I had when I was 6-8.

Is it me, or are this year's Schlocktober offerings getting steadily more bizzare week to week?

And if the latter, what does that mean for next weeks fare...

Attack Of The Super Monsters is one of my favorite bad movies, I'm surprised you didn't fun of the times it looked to be animated simply by the set shaking. Also as crappy as it is Lord Tyrannus is a badass villain if only because he's a T-rex that always yells "destroy!", actually used him as an avatar for an anime forum.

I'm so getting a dvd release of this like, yesterday!!!! This cannot be missed in my collection, along with Machine Girl, Robogeisha and Dead or Alive. So bizarre.

Weird world just got a lot more weird.
Even by BobStandard

For gods sakes I like weird anime (strike witches) and that was nuts! It's like one of those mock anime cartoons they have on the TVS in Family Guy or the Simpsons.

Stupid psychic T-Rex,
Its Crush,kill, destroy, Swag.
Not Death, kill, destroy.

aeric90:
I didn't think anything could top the Hercules episodes... okay so this didn't but it came pretty damn close.

Agreed!

Save yourself some pain don't look up Warriors of the Wind

Oh my dear Bob, you think the "Gemini/incest" stuff is bad in this movie? Then you have never seen Aquarion. Brother and little sister are pilots of huge mechs, and the mechs become more powerful when they "merge" with each other and become a bigger robot Power Rangers style. Big brother is known as the best pilot in the land (of course) and little sister is sort of second-best, but she gets insanely jealous of anybody else who wants to "merge" with her brother. She goes on and on about how she wants to be the first to "merge" with him.

And to drive it all home, when they do merge it's apparently a very...stimulating experience, and every time the people merge in the show they moan in ecstasy and shout "So good!" And IIRC their clothes disappear for a moment while in transition. Yeah...

So... was that one scientist guy voiced by Dan Green?

When I heard the 'they are twins that merge into one' the first thing that came to mind was
Game of Thrones: Twins having sex......ew

Dear...

*long overdramatic pause*

...God.

Okay...usually when I see something in this vein, I usually talk about wanting whatever drugs they are on. This time...I think we should find out what drugs are involved and get rid of all supplies of it.

PsychedelicDiamond:
So... was that one scientist guy voiced by Dan Green?

If you mean Dr. Moustache, I thought he soundes shockingly like LittleKuriboh doing his Yami voice. I guess that is his Dan Green impression, so it's possible.

On another note: When Jim and Jem (the truly outrageous) merge their robot halves and become Gemini (or is that Jemini?), what happens to the human halves of their bodies?

I love Schlocktober, provides me with plenty of movies next time my friends and I are doing a movie night.

But really, the anime characters running around with these live action monsters look REALLY weird...

That was.... odd....

The ultra low budget this show had. Are the characters being animated to actual photographs of actual places? They couldn't draw a background for them?

Those toys, those puppets. I think I'm still dreaming. This is scary in a completely different way. Good find Bob.

Ken_J:
Save yourself some pain don't look up Warriors of the Wind

Thank JesuOtaku we've been able to get the original for some time now. I guess Disney can be the good guys sometimes.

Lilani:
Oh my dear Bob, you think the "Gemini/incest" stuff is bad in this movie? Then you have never seen Aquarion.

Never heard of that one. I thought of Maze Bakunetsu Jiku, which is basically "What if Ranma 1/2 took place in a parallel fantasy world, but the gender switching worked more like Ladyhawke, and male Ranma and female Ranma were actually twin siblings with incestuous feelings?"

But I also thought of occult alchemy.

How the hell have I not seen or heard of this?

And, yeah, sorry, the twins thing doesn't creep me out anymore given recent and not so recent japanese obsession with a sister complex. The level of shamelessness it's achieving however, that does creep me out.

"Gemini!........You cannot save..........the Human Race. Mwhahahahahahaha!"
My god, the voice acting in that is terrible.
And yeah, the whole sibling merging thing is more than a little creepy even for Japan.

Edit:

Lilani:
Oh my dear Bob, you think the "Gemini/incest" stuff is bad in this movie? Then you have never seen Aquarion. Brother and little sister are pilots of huge mechs, and the mechs become more powerful when they "merge" with each other and become a bigger robot Power Rangers style. Big brother is known as the best pilot in the land (of course) and little sister is sort of second-best, but she gets insanely jealous of anybody else who wants to "merge" with her brother. She goes on and on about how she wants to be the first to "merge" with him.

And to drive it all home, when they do merge it's apparently a very...stimulating experience, and every time the people merge in the show they moan in ecstasy and shout "So good!" And IIRC their clothes disappear for a moment while in transition. Yeah...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that anime. Forget what I just said. It's perfectly normal for Japan.

Susan Arendt was right when she tweeted yesterday that this would be the greatest thing ever.

Continuing from yesterday

DVS BSTrD:
You Cer sei a lot of messed-up stuff on this show.

Fucking puns...

On topic: There is literally nothing about this that was shocking to me once I found it it was from Japan.

Falseprophet:
Never heard of that one. I thought of Maze Bakunetsu Jiku, which is basically "What if Ranma 1/2 took place in a parallel fantasy world, but the gender switching worked more like Ladyhawke, and male Ranma and female Ranma were actually twin siblings with incestuous feelings?"

But I also thought of occult alchemy.

Yeesh. That sounds probably more awkward than Aquarion, but I'd have to watch it to be sure. Either way, I don't get what Japan's fascination with the brother/sister relationship is (especially big brother/little sister), but it's everywhere in anime and as the little sister to a big brother, it makes me want to crawl in a very deep hole and hide from the incredibly awkward media.

hmmm... japan. this is very japan. not japanese, just japan.

Also I'm intrigue but i'd prefer to see the actual series as i don't care for episode compilation movies much.

Also i'm not much of prude, but sex with a sibling is kinda gross. Also it fucks up the genetics in kids. So people saying Bob (and in one case all americans) is a prude for not liking that is probably an only child and not a geneticist.

GamemasterAnthony:
Dear...

*long overdramatic pause*

...God.

Okay...usually when I see something in this vein, I usually talk about wanting whatever drugs they are on. This time...I think we should find out what drugs are involved and get rid of all supplies of it.

I think the right question is, what kind of drug cocktail we're they taking when they made ....this? because one drug isn't enough to create this weirdness.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here