Trailers: Halo 4 - Launch Trailer

Halo 4 - Launch Trailer

Apparently the über special forces are made up of abducted children.

Watch Video

A launch trailer?
But the game's still two weeks away- I thought launch trailers usually accompanied the launch of a game.

Yes, the Spartan II Program consisted of Kids abducted at the year of 8 if I recall correctly, then put through rigorous and harsh training for most of their life, then biologically altered, given an armor and send into war.

Thatīs been known for almost a decade now...

Congrats on the umlaut btw, not everyone does that.

Chrinik:
Yes, the Spartan II Program consisted of Kids abducted at the year of 8 if I recall correctly, then put through rigorous and harsh training for most of their life, then biologically altered, given an armor and send into war.

Thatīs been known for almost a decade now...

Congrats on the umlaut btw, not everyone does that.

Just a tad correction, it was 6 not 8. And yeah... Surprised people are just finding out this.

Of course that's for the same people that need the disclaimer that this is a cinematic trailer and not actual gameplay...

Sweet trailer though.

So, I played only the first Halo in PC, but I guess right if I say the new enemies of Master Chief are dead bodies controlled by a artificial intelligent robot-armors?
Or they are indeed.......undead aliens and they wear robot-armors?
I prefer the first one for originality.

Well the grunt easter egg at the end of Halo 3 also more or less mentions the fact that the spartans were abducted as kids

Trillovinum:
Well the grunt easter egg at the end of Halo 3 also more or less mentions the fact that the spartans were abducted as kids

So did just about every book with the Spartan II's in it.

Including the first book, The Fall of Reach.

Which was released BEFORE the first Halo game...

Awesome trailer, but that's hardly news...

SweetShark:
So, I played only the first Halo in PC, but I guess right if I say the new enemies of Master Chief are dead bodies controlled by a artificial intelligent robot-armors?
Or they are indeed.......undead aliens and they wear robot-armors?
I prefer the first one for originality.

I haven't read any of the books, nor played a Halo game since the 3rd, but my guess is either the undead-aliums are A) what's left of humanity after dicking around with Forerunner tech, or B) the remains of the Forerunners themselves...

Oh, and apparently...

..... This is my face when I learn this: :|

To be honest, I'm not really feeling the new Halo - I was a big fan of the fluff back in the day, actually enjoyed playing through Legendary in the original trilogy more than I ever did the multiplayer, and a lot about this game just seems kind of.... off.

Master Chief being IDed as a white male in the trailer, when in the games 'hes' always pretty much been just a (literal) Faceless Protagonist? Okay, fine, I'm assuming its already been assured due to outside-games fluff.

The Covenant still being a threat? Okay, I suppose they co-
The Covenant still being a threat because some of them are still caught up on the religion of the Prophets? Er, okay, I suppose, I mean the Brutes weren't particularly sma-
The Covenant still being a threat because

are still caught up in the religion of the Prophets? I... Thaaaat seems kind stupid. Kinda REALLY stupid, but alright...

Seven years is the maximum life-span for a human-level intelligence AI? Why would you do tha-
And they go bat-crap crazy at that point instead of just, ya know, shutting down permanently? ...

Openly stating you plan to make another trilogy, without even seeing how your first attempt at breathing life back into the game gets received and/or what people like/hate about it? That's alittle ambiti-
"Developers have claimed that Halo 5 will be a much darker title"...

All of my 'meh'. All of it.

As ever, the Halo trailer is amazing.

Problem is, we know the game will never go within a mile of confronting the truly dark and unsettling story that's been built up around the Spartans. It's just going to breeze right around it like ODST breezed round being a lone human lost in New Mombasa, or 2 breezed around the prospect of a battle on Earth.

Still a great little trailer though.

Dark_Reaction:
I haven't read any of the books, nor played a Halo game since the 3rd, but my guess is either the undead-aliums are A) what's left of humanity after dicking around with Forerunner tech, or B) the remains of the Forerunners themselves...

It's really hard to talk about this as unless you have read the books you cannot blow half of what is going on in the wider Halo universe.

Also...

Dark_Reaction:
The Covenant still being a threat? Okay, I suppose they co-
The Covenant still being a threat because some of them are still caught up on the religion of the Prophets? Er, okay, I suppose, I mean the Brutes weren't particularly sma-
The Covenant still being a threat because

are still caught up in the religion of the Prophets? I... Thaaaat seems kind stupid. Kinda REALLY stupid, but alright...

Well this is explained in The Thursday War...

Dark_Reaction:
Seven years is the maximum life-span for a human-level intelligence AI? Why would you do tha-
And they go bat-crap crazy at that point instead of just, ya know, shutting down permanently? ...

AI rampancy is not a defined time limit, as the smart AI's are fashioned on human minds and are rather expensive/rare so binning them before you are sure is a bit of a waste.

I'm still on board! :)

fix-the-spade:
As ever, the Halo trailer is amazing.

Problem is, we know the game will never go within a mile of confronting the truly dark and unsettling story that's been built up around the Spartans. It's just going to breeze right around it like ODST breezed round being a lone human lost in New Mombasa, or 2 breezed around the prospect of a battle on Earth.

Still a great little trailer though.

It's a shame they don't really dive into the unsettling backstory stuff in the games, instead making little references to it when Cortana is going nuts in Halo 3. I always liked the fact that Master Chief, who many characterise as being a male power fantasy, has no sex drive thanks to the Spartan II procedure. He's also posed as being socially retarded as he was raised as a soldier from the age of six. He does beat a man to death in Fall of Reach because he misinterpreted something as an order...

That and the whole "Your best friend is the mental imprint of your mother figure, who in turn is the woman who abducted you and turned you into a super-soldier" thing.

Geo Da Sponge:
He does beat a man to death in Fall of Reach because he misinterpreted something as an order...

Nevermind all that, there's the minor point that the Spartans were created (stolen?) before the Covenant were even known about. I would love to see their original purpose of making political dissidents disappear brought up.

fix-the-spade:

Geo Da Sponge:
He does beat a man to death in Fall of Reach because he misinterpreted something as an order...

Nevermind all that, there's the minor point that the Spartans were created (stolen?) before the Covenant were even known about. I would love to see their original purpose of making political dissidents disappear brought up.

Oh yeah, that's definitely the other good point about the creation of the Spartans. That whole
project is pretty nasty, and I really wish more people knew the background stuff. The whole "saving humanity" thing is purely coincedental.

Having said that, one of the things I like about the series as a whole is that it remains neutral about the project and it's repercussions. It shows you something blatantly inhumane, but it doesn't feel the need to jump around shouting about how evil it is when you can clearly figure that out for yourself. That's why I really like the style used in this trailer; the footage of the Spartans is shown in a clinical, neutral fashion.

Obviously I want them to explore that stuff since it's pretty dark and very interesting, but I think I'd prefer them just setting out the story without feeling the need to emphasise the dark aspects any more than necessary.

I'm learning a lot in this thread.

1). I thought the spartans were all orphans to begin with since there were so many left after some war (maybe with the covanant)

2). The plot is probably going to involve some kind of "are we so different" theme involving the forerunners and the spartans

3). That "Ghostrider" thing is essentially a cyberman

4). The ancient aliens theory is overused

This trailer didn't make me want to go out and buy the game.

It also reminded me of Dark Angel.

I'll probably still buy the game, but man that was awful.

As a Halo fan...this was kinda underwhelming. For a "gameplay" trailer, there wasn't that much of...well gameplay. It just left me wanting more. Aw well, still looking forward to this.

I know I'm going to get hell for this but what can be said for one Halo game is all that needs to be said about ANY Halo game.

What could be said about the halo games must also be said about the anime lots of flash of purple and blue but little to no substance. Halo has turned into little more then a marketers best possible wet dream.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here