Feed Dump: Expensive Tastes

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm not sure if this is true or not but I heard that the price in diamonds wouldn't drop because whoever is in control of the diamonds only distributes small amounts infrequently.

Coked. Monkeys.

Hollywood now has ideas for about seven new comedies just off of that idea alone.

I'm not into diamonds either. I lose jewelry, so I like getting a bunch of duplicates of $5 pieces. My grandma gave me a $150 sweater necklace make of crystal & onyx that to me looks like a bunch of plastic beads strung together with gold plated paperclip wire. & diamonds? Just rockhard chunks of carbon that can be easily replicated in labs.

My boyfriend (who is an attorney) was talking to a representative of a seller of fabricated diamonds recently on behalf of a client, and to try and put my boyfriend at ease, the dude said, "Hey, are you Jewish? I've got an Irish joke for you." And then proceeded to tell a racist joke.

I believe I'm now more leery of the guys in the Diamond District than anyone from DeBeers.

Also, I'm happy to report that this episode of Feed Dump passes the Bechdel Test! I wonder if any of your sketches have ever done so...

I missed the 'The Dutch. AGAIN!' when you were talking about Rotterdam.

I loved this just for Graham's "Is there a disgusting gender?" line. Oh and Tally's over-enthusiastic Trés bien.

Hell, it's just nice to see Tally back. Unless I'm an idiot and completely forgotten something, she hasn't been in a LRR vid for a while.

LostintheWick:

Don Reba:
Tally and Kathleen! Christmas has come early this year!

By the way, Kathleen, those impact diamonds where actually declassified in the 90s and are porous, which makes them unsuitable for use in jewellery. However, you are still correct in that diamonds are abundant. De Beers and Alrosa pace their diamond extraction in such a way as to maintain high prices. Additionally, Alrosa has a huge diamond reserve.

Impact diamonds prooflink in Russian: http://vz.ru/news/2012/9/17/598475.html

Thanks for this info! But yeah... anybody who doesn't know this should do some homework. It's kind of an eye opener on Capitalism.

And idk if this practice is wrong... but it sure does FEEL wrong/shady. I mean... how did these companies get to a point where they control enough diamonds to affect its global price? Why hasn't another group of people jumped in to undercut these clowns?

there is a family in france who has been doing this for years while ruining a lot of africa

The Tall Nerd:

LostintheWick:

Don Reba:
Tally and Kathleen! Christmas has come early this year!

By the way, Kathleen, those impact diamonds where actually declassified in the 90s and are porous, which makes them unsuitable for use in jewellery. However, you are still correct in that diamonds are abundant. De Beers and Alrosa pace their diamond extraction in such a way as to maintain high prices. Additionally, Alrosa has a huge diamond reserve.

Impact diamonds prooflink in Russian: http://vz.ru/news/2012/9/17/598475.html

Thanks for this info! But yeah... anybody who doesn't know this should do some homework. It's kind of an eye opener on Capitalism.

And idk if this practice is wrong... but it sure does FEEL wrong/shady. I mean... how did these companies get to a point where they control enough diamonds to affect its global price? Why hasn't another group of people jumped in to undercut these clowns?

there is a family in france who has been doing this for years while ruining a lot of africa

This makes me think that instead of hiding the diamonds away, they could justify the higher prices by paying the workers decent wages. Needless to say... maybe we shouldn't value diamonds at all. I know I don't.

LostintheWick:

The Tall Nerd:

LostintheWick:

This makes me think that instead of hiding the diamonds away, they could justify the higher prices by paying the workers decent wages. Needless to say... maybe we shouldn't value diamonds at all. I know I don't.

dont get me wrong its a really nice rock,its super hard to break and on a molectular level is very very "deep" and from that stand point its value could be raised smidge, and some of them look pretty.
but yea, there enough and have been enough diamonds coming from afica that everyone couldhave one
now with 7 billion people.

those colored jewels are a bit more rare though emeralds and what not

Is this video really on a professional site? The girls are so unfunny it made me mad, lol?! Getting mad watching comedy? Pretty hard to do!
They are trying so hard, and it actually made me cringe for them. I made an account just to say this, they are -that- bad.

If I wanted to watch drama class hijinks I would go to my local high school.

You have so many talented people here, how can you let this trash get through?

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I couldn't even watch the rest of the video, as soon as the 2 girls did their things I was facepalming and closed the video.

Shameful.

The Gentleman:
What the fuck is "honey boo boo" and why am I horrified about it without knowing?

I caught this late and see nobody seemed to give an answer, so if you don't know yet:

"Honey Boo Boo" is the stage name of a fairly successful child pagent queen, "she" got her own show spun off of the popular reality show "Toddlers and Tiaras", which is literally called "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo". It's a reality show which focuses less on her than the family behind her, who pretty much set the standard for stereotypical pudgy, low IQ, white trash. To be honest the show really doesn't have much terrible in it, with the family being fairly normal for what they are, except for the whole pagent aspect of things with that one daughter whom it's named after. It's lead to contreversial things like how before shows the mother feeds her home made "go juice" which is a cocktail made from energy drinks and other things to get her all jazzed up. When questioned about this she apparently dismissed it as being fine to pretty much brew home made speed for a little girl because "at least it's not alcohol or actual Ritalin".

The "sketi" comments were made about how being really poor apparently they eat a lot of Spaghetti, and that's how it's said in the show at times which can border on incoherant depending on who ic actually talking. It's lead to a lot of jokes.

The show has largely been criticized for being exploitive, more or less in the opposite direction of "Jersey Shore". Where with something like JS people would watch it and wish they could live like that (all the shopping, partying, and being obnoxious and getting away with it), in this case it's pretty much watching a bunch of poor, chubby folks, and going "wow, I can't believe I'm seeing this", with people being made to feel better about themselves simply by seeing this. Of course like any "reality" show one has to question the actual "reality" of it especially with money coming in from the show. Apparently the show was originally intended to sort of continue to raise contreversy about child pagents and stars, but it didn't turn out like they intended.

In short for like the last 15 minutes it's been in the eyes of the every man, and as a result geek culture that tends to roll it's eyes at everything have turned it into the latest target, or perhaps more specifically, targeted those who make this popular and continue to fuel the furnace of banal reality TV.

I know this because I ran into referances myself, and did some checking. If you search for "Honey Boo Boo" or "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" you will find more information about this than you ever thought possible. Since "Jersey Shore" is 5 minutes ago (and apparently being cancelled) this is pretty much the current flavor of reality TV that is capturing the everyman.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here