Escape to the Movies: Cloud Atlas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

OlasDAlmighty:
So it doesn't suck? I'm honestly surprised because the trailer really made it look like a pretentious bloated mess that tried to fit half a dozen movies into one and be the "ultimate film".

I guess I might go see it then.

I can't help noticing your avatar...Have you seen it? Woz it gud?

yunabomb:
The fake asians don't really look asian. They just look like white people pretending to look asian based on what I've seen. The K-pop eyebrows look pretty weird as well, although I don't know if there's a reason the actors have been stylized to look that way.

well in the book it is explained that most people you'd see on the streets are actually androids. There are many more androids for convenience sake and they are produced. Other than that, the book depicts a very sterile, made-up future world where it is easy to see how plastic surgery would be a very common thing. I think those are also reasons for the design choices in the film

shogunblade:
The one thing I find to be quite interesting (From all the reviews I've read so far), is that no one has called it "A Great movie", just "Ambitious". Moviebob called it "Ambitious", Roger Ebert called it "Ambitious".

I'm truly happy to see its not getting "Best Movie of the Year" buzz, but just "Most Ambitious movie" awards, and in that reasoning alone do I want to see the movie.

It's hyperbole that's a tad easier to swallow than "Worst Movie" or "Best Movie".

A great review, Bob, I really hope to see this movie soon.

I personally have always despised the way awards ceremonies have 'Best Picture' awards. Not because they always get it wrong (although they totally do), but just because cinema is capable of such wildly disparate feats of imagination, I don't think it's possible to single out just one movie from one genre as the best.

I personally think they'd be a lot better for having several smaller awards for each major genre, without a big 'Best Picture award at the end of it. Admittedly, some already have categories such as 'Best Documentary' and 'Best Animated Feature'. However, if they can do that, why not also 'Best Thriller' and 'Best Comedy'? A film that could be said to belong to more than one genre could still be nominated for more than one category, and it would allow more movies, from a wider range of cinematic tastes, to have a chance at acclaim, bringing them to the attention of cinema-goers and ultimately expanding the scope of the film industry even further.

The only downside that I can see is that it would make awards shows even longer than they already are (which I suppose even then could be offset by cutting out some of the bullshit filler that they all have).

Aureliano:

As far as its sixness and the stories in general, I could have done with a little bit more of an overarching narrative as opposed to six largely self-contained stories. I wont spoil it, but I wasn't exactly enthusiastic with the ending of the Victorian story. It just seemed like they ended it that way because that's what's supposed to happen in gay romance stories. And don't get me started on the almost random philosophical platitudes in the chronologically latest short films.

To make things clear, this movie is a near direct depiction of the book Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. While of course some things have been changed, most of it is like in the book. I would suggest you read the book and see if you still dislike the gay romance story as the language in it is quite amazing and gripping. In the book there is also no overarching narrative. Even more each story is told in a chronological order but only half way. After the apocalypse story all the stories are finished counting down to the first. It is an amazing read.

Hey bob, are you going to do an episode on the yellow face?

This is much more how I would think of this movie
http://thecinemasnob.com/2012/10/27/cloud-atlas-review.aspx

OlasDAlmighty:
So it doesn't suck? I'm honestly surprised because the trailer really made it look like a pretentious bloated mess that tried to fit half a dozen movies into one and be the "ultimate film".

You're assessment of the movie based on the trailer is 100% accurate, but this is Movie Bob, film snob. It's pretentious, psuedo-indie, nonsensical Oscar bait with a huge budget.. of course Bob is gushing for it. He loves this art-house-film-with-hundreds-of-millions-behind-it stuff because if he didn't, he'd lose his hipster cred.

MovieBob:
Cloud Atlas

MovieBob takes us through the spectacle that is Cloud Atlas.

Watch Video

personally it looks like oscar bait that got too big a budget. it may have some good ideas and visuals and acting but im going to hold my judgement on if its 'good' or not until ive had some time to think of it and wonder if im being tricked into likeing something thats only mediocre.

Hell anyone remember Avatar? supposedly 'the bestest movies evar!!!11' and its really a hunk of manipulative pile of whale shit?
Not saying cloud atlas is bad, but im very skeptical about something that gets so much hype for being a standalone movie.

Paradoxrifts:

Wakikifudge:

Paradoxrifts:

Definitely not.

Although he's right up there alongside tiny drop rates and wormhole threshers as the most infuriatingly annoying 'features' that have been introduced into the Borderlands franchise by the second game.

That's great and all but I was stating my OPINION. I was simply listing things that my friends and I agree about. Not really looking for a debate. You may not like Borderlands 2 but I do and that's fine. This just reinforces the point I was trying to make. Obviously people are going to disagree with some/all of the things I listed. My friends however do not and so if one of them goes and sees Cloud Atlas and likes it, there's a pretty good chance I'll like it too. At the moment though, I'm not interested in it.

Quite the contrary.

I quite like BL2 and that is in spite of the game's flaws. But to get back to the subject of Handsome Jack, I feel you must have mistaken 'greatest villain' with ' character so annoying that killing them becomes a cathartic experience'. It's as if Gearbox had the Occupy movement design a Saturday morning cartoon version of Satan for them.

Handsome Jack never came across as threatening or unsettling to me which is the hallmark of a decent villain, I just only ever wanted the stupid to stop.

Ugh... I didn't want to get into this because it's completely off-topic for the thread but alright here you go:

I actually LIKED Handsome Jack for a large portion of the game. I just loved how he was always checking up on you. Ya some of his jabs were a bit stupid but for the most part I thought he was quite funny throughout. He grew on me because I didn't find him threatening. He was just someone far away who was taunting me. Then he does this:

After this, I still actually LIKED him but I really wanted him dead too. Then this happens:

Even after all of this, at the ending there was a part of me that still liked the guy and pitied him. So for me, Handsome Jack is why Borderlands 2 has a really great story (my opinion, you may not have liked the story). He is the only villain I can think of who at one point can make me feel like I'm just joking with friends over a beer, and then at another point become a completely ruthless bastard.

You may disagree with everything I just said and again, that's perfectly fine because we are all entitled to our own opinions. And this still does reinforce my point. Just replace Borderlands 2 with Handsome Jack in my previous statement and it works.

At 1:14 I thought it was Jer from LRR

Damn...... That's all I have to say.

Wakikifudge:
You may disagree with everything I just said and again, that's perfectly fine because we are all entitled to our own opinions. And this still does reinforce my point. Just replace Borderlands 2 with Handsome Jack in my previous statement and it works.

The game's story suffers dreadfully from tonal dissonance.

Simply put it was hard for me to be moved by moments of tragedy in a game that involved searching outhouses for loot and ammo. Now I know it's more than a little unfair to compare a movie with a game, but if you want to see good example of a villain on a path of self-destruction then you should check out Scarface.

That's how you get it done.

Paradoxrifts:

Wakikifudge:

The game's story suffers dreadfully from tonal dissonance.

Simply put it was hard for me to be moved by moments of tragedy in a game that involved searching outhouses for loot and ammo. Now I know it's more than a little unfair to compare a movie with a game, but if you want to see good example of a villain on a path of self-destruction then you should check out Scarface.

That's how you get it done.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Because the game places such an emphasis on comedy, when really serious and dark things do happen, you found them out of place and more distracting than anything? That makes sense. I actually found it to be the opposite though. For me personally, because there is such an emphasis on comedy and looting that when these moments of dark tragedy do happen, they are more shocking and moving than similar scenes in other movies.

I think I get where you're coming from though (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and your opinion does make a lot of sense.

I want to watch the review, but if Moviebob says it's better to see it right away I'll trust him.

...It'll premiere in Sweden in over one hundred days.

Blargh! The torture!

Wakikifudge:
{Snip.}

It's a little more than that.

By the end of the game it felt more like I was preforming a mercy killing of a two-dimensional cardboard cutout instead of triumphing over a properly realised and fleshed-out villain. It didn't ruin the rest of the game for me, but it's certainly enough for me to object to him being the 'greatest villain' of an entire console generation.

If anything, all that proves is a severe drought of competition.

MB202:
So, um.... I thought this was the second part of the Altas Shrugged movie or something, but you know, now I'm actually curious about seeing it. My mom wanted to see it, too, so maybe I'll go see it with her.

That actually came out a few days ago. So far, the reviews for it haven't looked too good.

Dangit2019:

MB202:
So, um.... I thought this was the second part of the Altas Shrugged movie or something, but you know, now I'm actually curious about seeing it. My mom wanted to see it, too, so maybe I'll go see it with her.

That actually came out a few days ago. So far, the reviews for it haven't looked too good.

Surprised that movie even got a sequel/continuation.

heyheysg:
Hey bob, are you going to do an episode on the yellow face?

Don't you know, it's okay in this instance because it's such a deep and artsy movie!
See also: It's the future, so they aren't really Asian. So it's all good.

Well shit, it's not due for another month here. Patience

The only thing that is putting me off is the reviews ive read in which the reviewer review comes off sounding like they are superior as they can appreciate the movie where as insinuating that people that dont care about the movie or 'dont get it' are stupid. Just so patronising. So many films people go on about being deep and full of meaning and they turn out to be as deep as a paddling pool.

Sylveria:

OlasDAlmighty:

You're assessment of the movie based on the trailer is 100% accurate, but this is Movie Bob, film snob. It's pretentious, psuedo-indie, nonsensical Oscar bait with a huge budget.. of course Bob is gushing for it. He loves this art-house-film-with-hundreds-of-millions-behind-it stuff because if he didn't, he'd lose his hipster cred.

How is Bob a film snob? He's an honest film critic, he "gushed" for this movie because he genuinely thought it was great.

Gotta say, this movie was pretty damn amazing

Its not mindless though, You really gotta think while your watching it and pay the utmost attention, honestly, I liked it better than the Avengers and Dark Knight Rises. (yes, I know those were a completely diffrient genre of movie, but seeing as those were my favorite of the year, its a fitting comparison now that Ive seen this)

yunabomb:
The fake asians don't really look asian. They just look like white people pretending to look asian based on what I've seen. The K-pop eyebrows look pretty weird as well, although I don't know if there's a reason the actors have been stylized to look that way.

Well no, of course they don't (particularly Hugo Weaving and his ENORMOUS forehead) - and it's somewhat interesting, because pretty much all the actors end up masquerading as another race at least once during the movie (I don't think Tom Hanks does, but other than that), sometimes you can tell who it is, but every now and again one slips by you.

The really interesting bit is where they do the makeup jobs which change more than necessarily race, and those are the ones you don't catch and wow you at the end. Hugh Grant gets a couple of these which I didn't catch at all until they showed it at the end.

To the movie itself - HOLY CRAP, knocked my socks off. The amount of skill it took to take something like this and just make it flow, so well... and ultimately, that's what's going to make a film like this work, that's what makes the difference between most people calling it "pretentious" and people calling it "awesome., and even for those who wouldn't call it pretentious, it really makes all the difference, sucking you in.

For those who've seen the film, did anyone else notice that the flow of the story and the cuts seemed to mimic musical structure - particularly in the latter third? It's a subtle touch, but one that was really awesome, given the themes of the film.

Spoiler alert!

I'm guessing "Lana" Wachowski was watching nothing but Dead Poets Society and Roots and Dances with Wolves and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest while 'transitioning.' The movie borrows liberally from them when it doesn't steal outright, and the tone is of the eager convert recounting 'her' pop-culture catechism.

Never in all my life have I seen a movie where I've been rooting as hard for the villains.

If you like this movie because you see yourself in the characters, choose a different career path sooner rather than later. The liberal striver poor lifestyle is for those with lots of Mom and Dad's cash to spend.

On the other hand, it's nice to see that Joe Biden and Michelle Obama have a good life ahead of them.

Damn you Bob, got me all excited so I went to check the Swedish premiere date... March 1! I hate this place sometimes

Yeah... no. Normally when I disagree with Bob's reviews it's sort of "well, matters of taste, y'know", but having seen it this one is just... wrong. Like, factually incorrect wrong.

This is not to say the movie is _bad_, I actually thought it was reasonably good. But what universe is Bob living in where the loosely connected anthology format and genre mixing is "experimental" and "risk-taking"? Because in this one it's basically a standard Oscar-season format, and I've not seen a year go by without at least two of 'em coming along. On the planet earth, this is a fairly traditional form of storytelling.

And the makeup was _terrible_. The race-washing was done with almost insulting incompetence and even the basic stuff like Hanks' facial scar in the intro looked like it was slapped on with play-dough and painted with interior latex coat.

The writing was at least all right, though. As others have pointed out, not terribly creative or original, and the attempt at applying a moral at the end was _painfully_ trite, but as someone that sat through The Master without complaint I have to admit that at worst it's only the second worst script of Oscar season.

Summary: Go watch Argo again or something instead.

EDIT: Though, all that said, Hugo Weaving as zombie steampunk Jimminy Cricket growling admonitions to kill everyone because life is hopeless may be the single funniest thing I've ever seen on the big screen. I know it was supposed to be a serious indictment of the straw-villains of the piece, but given that said karmic straw-villains were so cartoonishly Captain Planeted that it's quite impossible to take them seriously, it was just beautifully unintentionally comedic.

Hey has anyone mentioned yet that this is based on a book?
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, go read it because it's bloody good.

Wakikifudge:

Apples_McGrind:

Wakikifudge:
I dunno.... I agree with you on a lot of things Bob but when your review is almost the polar opposite of the general consensus, that's when I seem to disagree. This is one of those reviews.

The most common criticisms of the film seem to be that each of it's eight stories come off more as trailers for real movies and that the film's "deep message" gets jammed down the audience's throat and comes off as pretentious.

I think I'll wait until some of my friends see it. They have very similar tastes in movies as me and if they tell me that it is good, then I'll go see it.

If you've read enough reviews, you would know that the film doesn't really have a general consensus. The reviews have been all over the map with critics slamming, praising it and even admitting confusion over the film. Bob's is just one in the love it category. Fact is, everyone is going to have a viscerally different reaction to this film, and trying to judge and see if your friends like it or not is going to be inherently pointless, since you'll all have different opinions on the film.

True that they are all over the map (scores are ranging from 10-100%) but the majority of 40-70 area. That may not necessarily be a bad thing but if reviews are really this all over the map, there are probably some major flaws in it.

How could you possibly say that I'll have a different reaction to the movie than my friends? You don't know them... and I do. There are almost no movies/games/opinions that we disagree on. We all liked Lost up until the very end (and then we hated it). We all loved Mass Effect 3 up until the very end (and then hated it). We all decided that the majority of the problems we had with Mass Effect 3's ending were fixed with the EC. We all thought Avatar was Mediocre. We all thought that while Cabin in the Woods was great, it didn't actually have a twist that everyone was praising (unless you count that it was given away at the very beginning). We all liked Inception a lot but couldn't understand why it was nominated for Best Picture because it does have a fairly massive plot hole. We all love Breaking Bad. We all love Game of Thrones. We are all Atheists. We all think that Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of this console generation. We all hate the majority of current pop music. We all liked TDKR more than the Avengers. This list could keep going for a long time but I'll stop now.

That's a lot of things to agree about. Some of those things are very controversial and have reviews that are all over the map as well. Hmmm, it's almost like we're friends because we have common interests or something. Weird right? Oh wait, no it's not.

Sorry, I don't mean to knock your friends or your tastes by any means, but I'm saying this out of my own experiences. Many of my friends also have similar tastes and enjoyment in films, but Cloud Atlas was a film that definitively divided everyone in my close group of friends. All I'm saying is, there's a possibility, you guys may find yourself divided over the film as well, regardless of your past tastes.

Apples_McGrind:

Wakikifudge:

Apples_McGrind:

If you've read enough reviews, you would know that the film doesn't really have a general consensus. The reviews have been all over the map with critics slamming, praising it and even admitting confusion over the film. Bob's is just one in the love it category. Fact is, everyone is going to have a viscerally different reaction to this film, and trying to judge and see if your friends like it or not is going to be inherently pointless, since you'll all have different opinions on the film.

True that they are all over the map (scores are ranging from 10-100%) but the majority of 40-70 area. That may not necessarily be a bad thing but if reviews are really this all over the map, there are probably some major flaws in it.

How could you possibly say that I'll have a different reaction to the movie than my friends? You don't know them... and I do. There are almost no movies/games/opinions that we disagree on. We all liked Lost up until the very end (and then we hated it). We all loved Mass Effect 3 up until the very end (and then hated it). We all decided that the majority of the problems we had with Mass Effect 3's ending were fixed with the EC. We all thought Avatar was Mediocre. We all thought that while Cabin in the Woods was great, it didn't actually have a twist that everyone was praising (unless you count that it was given away at the very beginning). We all liked Inception a lot but couldn't understand why it was nominated for Best Picture because it does have a fairly massive plot hole. We all love Breaking Bad. We all love Game of Thrones. We are all Atheists. We all think that Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of this console generation. We all hate the majority of current pop music. We all liked TDKR more than the Avengers. This list could keep going for a long time but I'll stop now.

That's a lot of things to agree about. Some of those things are very controversial and have reviews that are all over the map as well. Hmmm, it's almost like we're friends because we have common interests or something. Weird right? Oh wait, no it's not.

Sorry, I don't mean to knock your friends or your tastes by any means, but I'm saying this out of my own experiences. Many of my friends also have similar tastes and enjoyment in films, but Cloud Atlas was a film that definitively divided everyone in my close group of friends. All I'm saying is, there's a possibility, you guys may find yourself divided over the film as well, regardless of your past tastes.

Ah ok. To me you came off as really smug but I see where you're coming from. No hard feelings.

Well I suppose something this controversial must be worth watching even if it's just for discussion purposes. Maybe I'll see it with some friends on cheap night.

And the movie flopped so see it quickly if you're going to.

After having spent quite some time away from Bob's material, I hopped back in to hear his thoughts about something I was curious about. Lo, and behold, I'm less than a minute in and already confronted with yet another piece of his ubiquitous and shameless fan service.

Congratulations, Bob. You are to 'The Avengers' what twelve-year-olds are to Call of Duty.

I just saw it on Saturday, and fuck me it was awesome. Even ignoring how they're supposed to be related, the way the the six stories are edited together kept me engaged. Within two seconds I went from laughing at Broadbent's antics to tense and on the edge of my seat in future Korea. Also, a pop culture reference in one story doubles as foreshadowing for another at one point, which I thought was a pretty neat trick.

Myrmecodon:
Spoiler alert!

I'm guessing "Lana" Wachowski was watching nothing but Dead Poets Society and Roots and Dances with Wolves and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest while 'transitioning.' The movie borrows liberally from them when it doesn't steal outright, and the tone is of the eager convert recounting 'her' pop-culture catechism.

Never in all my life have I seen a movie where I've been rooting as hard for the villains.

If you like this movie because you see yourself in the characters, choose a different career path sooner rather than later. The liberal striver poor lifestyle is for those with lots of Mom and Dad's cash to spend.

On the other hand, it's nice to see that Joe Biden and Michelle Obama have a good life ahead of them.

You sound bitter. Go grab a drink.

Ickabod:
And the movie flopped so see it quickly if you're going to.

I wouldn't really call it a flop exactly. Yes, the opening box office numbers were low, but it opened on a much smaller number of screens than is typical of a wide release. The per screen average was actually the highest of the weekend releases by a fair margin.

That said, though, I do agree that it may be best to see the movie soon if you're going to see it at all. Regardless of it's supposed quality, it's been getting extremely mixed reviews and it just doesn't seem like an easy movie to sell. If anything works for it, it's going to be word of mouth.

Hmm. Why have I never even heard this movie's name before now? Interesting.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here