Movie Trailers: Evil Dead - Red Band Trailer

Evil Dead - Red Band Trailer

Part of me wonders why they remade a perfectly good film and the other part of me really wants to see this.

Watch Video

WHY! Why do we endeavor to live on a planet where this like this can exist.

Umm...

Sam? Why Sam?

But it does lead me to wonder if Evil Dead can work as a straight horror film or whether it worked best as an over the top crazy horror comedy. There had better be a Bruce Campbell cameo at least.

Li Mu:
Umm...

Sam? Why Sam?

But it does lead me to wonder if Evil Dead can work as a straight horror film or whether it worked best as an over the top crazy horror comedy. There had better be a Bruce Campbell cameo at least.

My guess is that Bruce will play the part of a gas station owner who encounters the protagonists on their way to the cabin. He'll warn them off and they won't listen, of course.

Ok, I am a fan of the Evil Dead Franchise, and I love the campy nature of them. All that being said I am really excited to see this. I love horror films and seeing a more thriller/horror based Evil Dead seems really cool.

I will go on pretending this does not exist

Written, but not directed, by Sam Raimi... hmmm...

No silly kills? Extensive 'creepy' gore?

For a second there, this felt like every 'horror' (gore fest more like) movie the past decade.

Cabin in the woods has ruined these types of horror films for me.

But then again Drag me to hell was a good showing that Sam can do modern horror.

I might apprehensively look forward to this one.

Well let's all remember that the first Evil Dead wasn't a comedy.

Still, nice to see they kept the tree-rape scene in.

This seems a lot more serious.....I'm not sure how to feel about it

I'm definitely torn on this...

DrStrangelove:

My guess is that Bruce will play the part of a gas station owner who encounters the protagonists on their way to the cabin. He'll warn them off and they won't listen, of course.

If this happens and Bruce doesn't have a missing hand then I'll be a bit disappointed. That being said I can't wait for this movie.

Damn, can't watch it because I said I was born in December... of this year.

*one trip to YouTube later*

So this is a remake? Not a prequel. (Guess it should have been obvious from the OP).
I guess a remake was inevitable but let's face it, Evil Dead was way better as campy comedy-horror-action instead of being another dime-a-dozen pointless gore-fest. I might give this a watch because I love the original trilogy but then again the first film is by far my least favourite of the bunch and it all gets abridged in the beginning of Evil Dead 2 anyway.
Might just stay in and watch Army of Darkness...

I wish it was actually a sequel. They could stage it after the events of the Army of Darkness. It still takes place in the cabin, so you have the nostalgia of the first one that they are trying to cash in on here, except there are hints as to what happened there before. The schlocky horror plays out and just when you think the Ash-like-Character is going to make it out with the girl he turns into a deadite and then pan over to a haggard Bruce Campbell, fresh from the past, who blasts the would be protagonist turned zombie away with his boomstick. Movie ends.

Oh look! Evil Dead without the fun! The deadites looks less threatening.

It's funny how everyone is hating on this. Just because it's a remake doesn't mean it's going to suck. You wanted silly? How isn't that chick licking her tongue in half silly? The premise itself is still silly and campy, so I don't get how just because they have a better camera now makes this the worst thing to ever happen.

I understand the skepticism because I'm a big fan of the Evil Dead series and I hate remakes as much as anyone, but if this was going by any other name it wouldn't be seeing this much hate.

Considering I love The Evil Dead movies (Evil Dead 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time, not to mention I'm going to be Ashley Williams for Halloween this year), I look at it this way. If its good than hooray. We get a good movie and everything is wonderful. If its bad than who gives a shit. Its not like the other 3 are going to be any worse because of it. Do I think its going to be good? Don't know. Will I see it? Ya. Will I see it in theaters? Depends on the Rotten Tomatoes score probably, I just don't have the cash take a big risk on a movie if I probably wont like it.

cabin... in the woods... basement with gruesome shit in it... reading of some old language that summons evil...
this was the tired first part of the trailer... the 2nd half of the trailer as the craziness increased so did the appeal, but i feel that the trailer too much, too many "good" scenes which is never a good sign.
usually when a trailer shows too much it tends to mean those are the best parts and the rest of the movie stinks.

hope MovBob reviews this

Sad it just looks like every other horror film out there right now I wonder if we will get the usual stock archetype characters whom we wont care a lick about when they die.

I see self mutilation is still scary, no doubt the main characters will continue being stupid

oh god damn it. thats why we cant remember nice things.
i thought they learned from the thing prequel.

leave those classics alone.

Oh look it has douchebaggy teens in it that should be good! *Yaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn*

I love Evil Dead and judging by the trailer this might be a worthy remake.

Good thing they didn't remake the Ash character because that would just be all kinds of hard to top.

Ok so the new 'Ash' Is a blonde college chick with a hipster Hobo friend who can read ancient languages?

NO!

Hollywood, seriously, when you guys allowed Michael Bay to redo Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as Motherfucking ALIENS, your mother and I thought it was time to up the medication, but THIS?!!!

Nobody had better go and see this, because if they make enough money to sequel this, I WILL...

Complain ineffectively on the internet because people like different things... *Sigh* Oh well, at least i still have all 3 on dvd in my leather bound case.

*grumble*

The thing is the trailer, it looks like it could be good. Then I see, Spring 2013. The time where they put out comedy's and movies the industry think is bad. When the people putting out the movie don't have hopes for the movie, you shouldn't either.

Monshroud:
Ok, I am a fan of the Evil Dead Franchise, and I love the campy nature of them. All that being said I am really excited to see this. I love horror films and seeing a more thriller/horror based Evil Dead seems really cool.

Tree-Rape = I'm seeing the remale ffor sure. I love all the films, and even a few of the comic series. I was iffy untill I saw the tree. This should at least be entertaining. I no longer jump on "I won't see it because it's not the original" band wagon since High School. The Thing prequal was so very meh, Nightmare on Elm St. kinda blew hard untill the very ending.

Friday the 13th was..well veryyy Friday the 13th so anybody who says otherwise needs to really explain why it wasn't. Texas Chainsaw, the first remake, is actually the best in terms of shock, and awesome-ness (girl pulls gunout of cooch and offs herself), but nothing beats that amazing first Texas ending of him just dancing insane like

I hated the original, I just hated it. I know that will get my head decapitated here, but that's the truth, I watched it not once but about three times in the attempt to enjoy it. I know why I hated it and I'm gonna say it in my own defense, it's not my style of horror/trash movie, it might have been perfect, heck it might BE perfect, but it is just not my style. However this remake did pique my interest, but then again so did the original Evil Dead...

By the way, despite not liking the original, I do feel like I will enjoy The sequels, which I still haven't seen, but that's because they seem more like an Alice Cooper horror fest than anything else hahaha

Milanezi:
By the way, despite not liking the original, I do feel like I will enjoy The sequels, which I still haven't seen, but that's because they seem more like an Alice Cooper horror fest than anything else hahaha

Evil Dead 2 was more of a horror-comedy that had both elements coming from the same source. Ash's paranoia about the house itself turning on him led to moments that had you laughing for the same reason he was: discomforting amusement.

Army of Darkness is all comedy. It's a great movie in of itself but it sorta feels like it's meant to be its own movie rather than a sequel.

Hmm, interesting to see they kept the tree... ahem assault in it. I never really thought the original was really played for laughs. I think it just turned out so campy that they kind of ran with it. I don't care what situation he is in, it's impossible to take Bruce Campbell seriously and I love him for it.
Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart!

There have been some good remakes of horror classics, the first the comes to mind is I Spit On your Grave. The remake was fantastic. Also, the first half of Rob Zombie's Halloween was excellent, then the second half was just a Halloween movie. But of course there have been bad remakes.. eg Last House on the Left... and really just meh remakes. Nightmare on elm street was really just meh. It wasn't bad, it was just a shot for shot remake with better-ish special effects.

This looks fun. I'll see it... But.. damn.. IS that actually the same cabin used in Cabin in the Woods? Looks strangely the same...

Loop Stricken:
Well let's all remember that the first Evil Dead wasn't a comedy.

Still, nice to see they kept the tree-rape scene in.

It wasn't? I always thought the first Evil Dead was a mix of horror and Dark Comedy. Sadly, I haven't seen the second one. I seen the first and third one.

I'd be fine with this, if it wasn't called Evil Dead. I love the original Evil Dead, which if any of you haven't seen in a while, is a straight horror film. It was shot on nickels and dimes basically, but to this day is still one of my favorite horror movies. Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn is the campy over-the-top gore-fest laced with slapstick comedy. As it stands I won't support a movie that doesn't need to exist.

I'm not a fan to modem horror films, as its mostly mean spirited and sadistic gore. I may know few horror films that I like, The Thing, Brain Dead and Alien in a way.

One I did get the most joyed from is The Evil Dead films. The 2 Evil Dead films had an iconic character with a boomstick and chainsaw for a hand, it was scary while being funny, that it had good creative cinematic moments and most importantly it was fun to watch them.

However seeing the trailer remake on the evil dead? Well... Just looks joyless, unpleasant and not fun or scary. The trailer looks just like any other todays gore films what I can't joy seeing, where you can't like any of the characters and not really enjoy the story without seeing the unpleasant stuff.

It may or may not be good but for me I'll stick to the original Evil dead 2 and army of darkness, as this remake looks like it's going to be another mean spirited and messed up gore fest movie.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here