No Right Answer: Best Zombie Movie Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Best Zombie Movie Ever

Happy Halloween! Well, almost. Halloween seems to take up all of October these days, a creep similar to a zombie horde. Which flick does the dead best?

Watch Video

Awesome topic! Love Kyle's barney laugh!!!

Zombies NEVER go away. Ever.

But maybe we can get them all traped in a hole, or something.

:D Good show!

Kyle forgot one major point: Zombies where still "fresh" when Shaun of the Dead came out. By the time we got Zombieland rigor mortis had already set in.

Plus, Shaun of the Dead is simply a hundred times better. :P

I loved both Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead; both are good picks for the debate. (Shaun of the Dead was my personal favorite zombie movie for many years.)

However, I have to disagree. Tokyo Zombie is by far the best zombie movie. Too bad no one I know has seen it. :(

I can't believe Shaun of the Dead lost. Zombieland was alright, but it just can't compare to SotD

It all comes down to post apocalypse vs ongoing apocalypse. Kinda like Fallout vs Gears of War 3.

Sorry I'm a Zombie purist, you have to go to the source of the infection: White Zombie(which totally needs a modern day remake) and Night of the living dead.

I reserve the right to speak until after I've watched Zombieland.

But my gut says I'm gonna say SotD.

It takes a man to wear pink. It takes a great man to wear kirby.

I can't really decide which one I actually prefer, considering just how different they are.

And upon reflection, I notice I haven't seen that many zombie movies, despite there being so many.

wow do i hate this, i couldn't even stand 1 minute or watching this. once i heard they were only going to talk about Zombieland vs. Shaun of the Dead, i was pretty annoyed. So they're gonna talk about 2 parodies instead of actual zombie horror? Once again, these guys fail to give any interesting arguments at all. they seem completely unaware of the history of zombie movies, as they seem unaware of most things. (i'm surprised they're still here)

Dawn of the Dead is probably the best zombie movie ever. (no not the damn remake, though it was an OK remake) with Day of the Dead being a close 2nd. Those two movies not only created all the zombie norms we see today but they did it far better than any rip-off/parody could ever hope. The movie itself is actually good, with good characters and drama between them. Believable acting and decisions. There is simply no comparison at all. (and distant 3rd best would be 28 Days Later)

Now if they had put "best zombie parody ever" than this video maybe appropriate. i saw both of those movies, i would prefer Shaun of the Dead myself.

Shaun of the Dead has a zombie getting the crap kicked out of him to Don't Stop Me Now by Queen. No other zombie movie can beat that. I fell asleap watching Zombieland.

Zombieland is a fun zombie movie, and it has Emma Stone.
But Shaun of the Dead is a great movie (zombies only make it better, as said).

Both are good but SotD is the best movie, no doubt about it.

Shaun of the Dead is better, it's like, law or something.
Besides, SotD is just that much funnier, and I feel that the chemistry is just that bit better between the actors.

No doubt that Shawn of the Dead is the better of the two movies.

As they mentioned, it's a great zombie flick with lots of gore, tension, suspense, horror, and zombies out for long pig. It's also a great comedy that can stand alone and be applied to any other disaster (apocalyptic, enraged animals, an alien attack, etc.) for it's well-written script, the fluid jokes, the romance that takes place, the human emotion, and the logical ending and comedic conclusion to the zombie outbreak.

You will laugh and cry throughout the film and in many cases you will do both in many scenes, which is a truly an amazing feat, and therefore, a great zombie movie, that definitely surpass Zombieland.

Maybe its because i'm English but I found Shaun much funnier than Zombieland. Don't get me wrong, I really like Zombieland, its a fun movie. However, Shaun isn't just about cool one-liners. I can relate to the characters more because they seems real,they aren't some badasses with baseball bats...

As much as i love Shaun Of The Dead, Bill Murray's worth 10 points!

shaun of the dead cuz its not typical american shit

deathzero021:
wow do i hate this, i couldn't even stand 1 minute or watching this. once i heard they were only going to talk about Zombieland vs. Shaun of the Dead, i was pretty annoyed. So they're gonna talk about 2 parodies instead of actual zombie horror? Once again, these guys fail to give any interesting arguments at all. they seem completely unaware of the history of zombie movies, as they seem unaware of most things. (i'm surprised they're still here)

Dawn of the Dead is probably the best zombie movie ever. (no not the damn remake, though it was an OK remake) with Day of the Dead being a close 2nd. Those two movies not only created all the zombie norms we see today but they did it far better than any rip-off/parody could ever hope. The movie itself is actually good, with good characters and drama between them. Believable acting and decisions. There is simply no comparison at all. (and distant 3rd best would be 28 Days Later)

Now if they had put "best zombie parody ever" than this video maybe appropriate. i saw both of those movies, i would prefer Shaun of the Dead myself.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the show, but I disagree. They have to rely on most viewers knowing what they're talking about. The video is a discussion and they don't have time to present both "things" in the debate first so they can start. And for all the popularity of zombies right now, very few people know the history and the classics of the genre. But they can count that most people have seen at least one of the two movies they discussed because they are recent.

Plus, they're more similar to each other than different, as you said (both are "zombie parodies" in a way), it would be stranger to compare Shaun with 28 Days Later, for example.

Zombieland was a great movie, but there were so many weird minor things in it that didn't make sense and bother me when I watch it now.

Despite me liking both movies, I have to pick Zombieland. SotD is a good film but I didn't like the characters as much as Zombieland.

With apologies to George Romero, I honestly believe that given just how overdone zombies are in pop culture, they can't really be taken all that seriously anymore, particularly as some kind of metaphor. From now on, I think that zombies should strictly stick to horror-comedy, mostly because the romanticism of the fantasy of a zombie apocalypse has really gotten to a point where people think they can find genuine glee in killing zombies. Also, most of pop culture has decided to take the piss out of zombies pretty much anytime they show up in a movie, tv show, etc. as was shocased in both SOTD and Zombieland.

As for what movie I prefer, I would have to go with Shaun of the Dead, not only because I love Edgar Wright, but because I feel like it's a very effective at being an insightful parody of zombie movies, mixed effectively with genuine heart (the scene where Shaun "says goodbye" to his mom is pretty fantastic) and moments of levity and comedy. As for Zombieland, it's major draw is taking the usual array of zombie survival cliches, particularly from the Max Brooks book as was pointed out, and playing them up for laughs. However, even though everyone already knew the jokes, the movie somehow makes them work and feel new again.

tautologico:

deathzero021:

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the show, but I disagree. They have to rely on most viewers knowin what they're talking about. The video is a discussion and they don't have time to present both "things" in the debate first so they can start. And for all thepopularity of zombies right now, very few people know the history and the classics of the genre. But they can count that most people have seen at least one of the two movies they discussed because they are recent.

Plus, they're more similar to each other than different, as you said (both are "zombie parodies" in a way), it would be stranger to compare Shaun with 28 Days Later, for example.

First off, thanks for standing up for us, always good to see that some people get what were doing. Second, i can assure you we all know the full history of zombies, from their voodoo origins through modern day returns. This show is for fun, and sometimes we have to pick zombie films that even people that don't like zombies might have seen, to increase appeal. I hope you understand, we didn't mean to ruin you day. :)

I saw both movies. Zombieland was fun alright, and had it's moments. But I will say Shaun of the Dead is a better movie. I liked the two main actors more, the movie knew what it was aiming for being a comedy yet still horror flick, and I admired the movie for what it was going for. Plus, Zombieland didn't have a real motivation- it was good but the characters didn't have any reason to go to a theme park.

Our characters in Shaun of the Dead had to attend the pub, or somewhere because they all lived in small apartments that had no way of protecting them from even a few zombies. Heck in Zombieland, *spoiler spoiler spoilers* they found a celebrity's home to crash in, and was filled with resources they could of used to last them a long time. Heck they had a tactic on how to get around the zombies but they decide to just attend the theme park for a tweenkie.

I can't feel sympathy or relate to characters that do things such as that, while in Shaun of the Dead *spoiler spoiler spoilers* Shaun had to put down his own mom who was becoming a zombie, which was built up with tension due to how much it sucks having to kill someone you love. That there makes a movie, or part of it at least. Yet Shaun of the Dead did outstanding with making me laugh, almost making me cry, and certainly having mixed feelings which I admired the movie pulling off.

"Kyle, what is the best zombie movie ever?"

Me: Zombieland. Hmmmm... vs. Shaun of the Dead.

*title screen*

SUCCESS!

Everyone fails, the correct for best zombie movie answer is
Død snø (Dead Snow)

it isn't a zombie apocalypse movie it uses lots of zombie tropes

Dead Snow is scary, funny, smart, and well crafted. If you haven't seen it yet watch it and it will make your top 10 list if not bump off your current number 1.

"You've got red on you"

Now trying to remember an epic quote from ZombieLand....

Still not coming.

Still nothing.

Shaun of the Dead is my personal pick but it is a pretty even match...

But Vampires? Cos if you're gonna debate vampire movies...

Near Dark vs Lost Boys...

Zombieland was too bland in my opinion. The zombies were a focus point to the story, yet 80% of the film is more or less the main cast talking to each-other and wandering around this now Zombie infested world. Until the VERY end of the movie, you get like maybe 3-4 good scenes with any actual zombies.

Shaun of the Dead however used Zombies as the MAIN plot device, yet still had all that 'real world' type side-stories still occurring as they stated in this episode. So even though you could be spending an entire scene where they were sitting around in a pub and chatting about life problems, there were still zombies and ect. in the background and all around them.

Overall Shaun of the Dead focuses more on "YES, it's a zombie apocalypse, and YES these characters need to be interesting and funny. BUT! This is a zombie movie, and the zombies are a constant factor that are affecting the characters and how they survive". Meanwhile Zombieland kinda turned out as more of a "Zombies only need to appear as a convenient plot device to add humor and action into the film. Instead we will focus on the characters talking and interacting".

Liked the debate this time, and I kinda think the better zombie movie won (though Sean of the Dead on its own is probably the funnier movie).

That being said, Zombieland is obviously about a group of people who were going to be outsiders whether there was a zombie apocalypse or not. The zombies are simply the undead version of the people who tormented them anyway. The agora of Columbus' agoraphobia, if you will. And fighting those zombies is Jesse Eisenberg's character's way of getting over his fear of people by realizing that most people just aren't important in any way.

Aikayai:
"You've got red on you"

Now trying to remember an epic quote from ZombieLand....

Still not coming.

Still nothing.

"Time to nut up or shut up."

Done.

rembrandtqeinstein:
Everyone fails, the correct for best zombie movie answer is
Død snø (Dead Snow)

it isn't a zombie apocalypse movie it uses lots of zombie tropes

Dead Snow is scary, funny, smart, and well crafted. If you haven't seen it yet watch it and it will make your top 10 list if not bump off your current number 1.

You'd be happy to know that I actually have both seen Dead Snow and loved Dead Snow. Were this expanded a bit, I'd have put it in the running, easily. I think it's still on Netflix Instant Play though, so I'll give it a good recommendation come Monday's article.

I do agreed with Zombieland being the better movie (in my view). Sure Shawn of the Dead is good but they were somewhat limited with the gears they had but in Zombieland they had cars and gun meaning more fun when it came to fight zombies.

Shaun of the Dead. Absolutely.

It's not like Zombieland is a bad movie, but I just really didn't care about the characters that much, it felt like the emotional impact was missing. Also I don't care about Murray.

Shaun of the dead, though, is a great movie. It's funny, and works as a zombie-movie, and the characters were relatable.
These kinds of things are always subjective, of course, especially comedy, and if the other just is funnier to you, then it is.

I've never particularly cared about the zombie-apocalypse-thing, though.

Kinda upset that didn't review the classics, but I suppose it's true that it wouldn't have been as funny. Also, rather than debating zombie movies, I think that whole zombies vs. vampires
thing at the end would have made for a really good argument.

Still, this was a good topic. I kinda feel the movies are pretty much on par with one another, but if pressed, I'd give my vote to SotD, just 'cause.

CAPTCHA: which one is hardest? Well, I don't think you get much harder than Woody...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here