No Right Answer: Best Zombie Movie Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I personally did prefer Zombieland over Shaun of the Dead mainly due to THAT Woody Allen scene... GAWDAMN! That was an awesome scene, his puppy dog scene was pretty nice to even if SotD did beat him out abit with the whole mum thing... man, talk about depressing.

Shaun of the Dead was hilarious and brilliant.

Zombieland bored me...

Shaun of the Dead is the better of the two they chose. However best zombie movie is Firefly. Zombies are stupid as a concept and as a villain they have nothing going for them that separates them from other really good scary villains. The only thing going for them is there mindless never ending shambling to destroy the protagonists and other villains can have that as well they are called redshirts/stormtoopers/fodder. And Firefly gets this so they aren't the focus of the story they are left as a sort of boogy man no one(besides the audience and main characters) really believes in and they are only really present in the beginning and end the rest is all character development and actual movie.

You guys are so wrong it's unbelievable.
Shaun wins because... and I've finished that sentence about 20 different times already with valid reasons why it's better and subsequently deleted them because no single reason would be enough to describe how monumentally epic it is.

Sheds, Pubs, Cricket bats, cups of tea, old vinyl, motherfucking CORNETTOS.

A Cornetto beats Twinkie any day.

And The Emma Stone defense is a cheap shot and you know it.

Dawn of the Dead. I cannot believe you actually picked Zombieland over it. ZLand is horribly overrated as it is.

Honestly, Shaun of the Dead is a movie that I still watch, all the time. If Comedy Central has it on right now, I'll get up and go watch it, regardless of me finishing this post.

Zombieland is a movie you only need to see once, maybe twice, and that's it. America or not, It's an infinitely devoid motion picture. The first fifteen minutes of Zombieland almost made me shut the movie off (I love Jesse Eisenberg, but he's never allowed to narrate the word "Zombie" ever again. Ever. It's obnoxious). After the first fifteen minutes, the movie is watchable, but not great.

I love the cast, but Emma Stone's on autopilot for most of the movie, as is Eisenberg, so you have two great actors (Harrelson and Abigail Breslin) playing quite well off each other, but it doesn't change the fact that the movie is just a tad too slow to get to the action scenes, and the story parts aren't engaging enough to keep me going (Bill Murray (spoiler!spoiler!) and Harrelson's subplot aside).

I like that its Left 4 Dead spiritually (I understand Valve made a Cease & Desist for Zombieland not to even mention L4D), but It's not quite as good as it should be.

Shaun of the Dead is a stronger movie emotionally, on a terrifying scale, on a badass scale (Don't Stop Me Now, that's why), it gave us Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Granted, they were around before this movie, but this movie made me realize they exist), and overall, it has stakes. Stakes I can relate to.

Personally, I choose Shaun of the Dead.

I thought both were rubbish

E Stone didn't save the amazing spider man, it's a weak veto

Gotta say this was a pretty good one and a tough choice. All in all I think I agree with the score in that I liked Zombieland better. Kyle was right in that Shaun pays more respects to the classic zombie films because it was supposed to be a more direct parody of those movies (my favorite part being when they're walking through the backyards and they come across that other group of people that's almost exactly the same as their group - even in dress - only they're actually functional and compotent).

Zombieland was more an action-comedy with zombies supplying the action. But two things set it above Shaun for me: the opening credits and the notion of Zombie Kill of the Week.

Shaun of the Dead
I know Emma Stone is solid argument, but still
Shaun of the Dead
Why?
Because Shaun of the Dead, that's why, silly!

I gotta give it to Shaun of the Dead. It's a loving tribute to and joke on the classic zombie film of yore, with relatable likeable characters [glances at Emma Stone and Jesse Eisenberg, stares daggers at Walking Dead cast] and the zombies aren't a metaphor for anything; they're just there to challenge our heroes and get 'em motivated. There are a number of other reasons, but most of you guys already brought them up, because we are so clever and handsome.

Shawn of the Dead was funnier, but I enjoyed Zombieland soooo much more (I even bought it lol), I don't know why? Probably it was because Woody Harrilson seemed to be polaying the very character from Natural Born Killers, but his psycho behavior had turned against zombies, making him more like an anti-hero hahaha I don't even think this makes any sense, well he was so damn badass and psycho-killer/western-outlaw that I couldn`t help but love it hahaha

Why would you pick two comedies to compete for the title of best zombie movie?

Zombieland was so gratuitous and just corny that it actually really paid off. I agree that it should win, but Shaun of the Dead was also a great movie. I just loved Zombieland and it's over the top, big action, guns blazing nonsense.... with Emma Stone and "GOD DAMMIT! BILL FUCKING MURRAY!"

Firefilm:

tautologico:

deathzero021:
wow do i hate this, i couldn't even stand 1 minute or watching this. once i heard they were only going to talk about Zombieland vs. Shaun of the Dead, i was pretty annoyed. So they're gonna talk about 2 parodies instead of actual zombie horror? Once again, these guys fail to give any interesting arguments at all. they seem completely unaware of the history of zombie movies, as they seem unaware of most things. (i'm surprised they're still here)

Dawn of the Dead is probably the best zombie movie ever. (no not the damn remake, though it was an OK remake) with Day of the Dead being a close 2nd. Those two movies not only created all the zombie norms we see today but they did it far better than any rip-off/parody could ever hope. The movie itself is actually good, with good characters and drama between them. Believable acting and decisions. There is simply no comparison at all. (and distant 3rd best would be 28 Days Later)

Now if they had put "best zombie parody ever" than this video maybe appropriate. i saw both of those movies, i would prefer Shaun of the Dead myself.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the show, but I disagree. They have to rely on most viewers knowin what they're talking about. The video is a discussion and they don't have time to present both "things" in the debate first so they can start. And for all thepopularity of zombies right now, very few people know the history and the classics of the genre. But they can count that most people have seen at least one of the two movies they discussed because they are recent.

Plus, they're more similar to each other than different, as you said (both are "zombie parodies" in a way), it would be stranger to compare Shaun with 28 Days Later, for example.

First off, thanks for standing up for us, always good to see that some people get what were doing. Second, i can assure you we all know the full history of zombies, from their voodoo origins through modern day returns. This show is for fun, and sometimes we have to pick zombie films that even people that don't like zombies might have seen, to increase appeal. I hope you understand, we didn't mean to ruin you day. :)

Hey, I'm ok, it's the guy I quoted that seemed to have a problem :)

As Kyle said, they're both separate and- Carl! Get back inside the house! Sorry, where was I? That's right, they're both equals. They're like Batman and Superman, both awesome for different reasons. I think at the end of the day you've gotta- DAMMIT CARL, STOP LEAVING THE HOUSE!

Dascylus:
Shaun of the Dead is my personal pick but it is a pretty even match...

But Vampires? Cos if you're gonna debate vampire movies...

Near Dark vs Lost Boys...

That's a great shout, although I would guess that a lot more people would have seen or at least heard of Lost Boys compared to Near Dark.

Of course, Near Dark wins because of the bar scene

No phantasmagoria 2? FAIL!!

Hold the f*cking monkey-shaped phone.
1. Bill Nye actually improved Pirates.
2. SotD probably has better humour than Zombieland
3. Dracula: Dead and Loving it; it probably wasn't the best vampire movie out, but I'm pretty sure it was the craziest!

I'm very shocked to see that Kyle didn't use Simon Pegg and Nick Frost being comic gold for crazy scenarios in his argument. Everyone watching those movies can relate to the characters they portray, while not many can relate Woody's killtastic self-parodying machismo. I have to say though, I loooved Zombieland, but the main character was honestly the least interesting part about it for me.

Oh wait, Bill Murray. Yeah...

Can't agree with this. At all. Meh.

rembrandtqeinstein:
Everyone fails, the correct for best zombie movie answer is
Død snø (Dead Snow)

it isn't a zombie apocalypse movie it uses lots of zombie tropes

Dead Snow is scary, funny, smart, and well crafted. If you haven't seen it yet watch it and it will make your top 10 list if not bump off your current number 1.

While I do love this movie, it really only gets good at the 40min mark or something, because that's when the zombies show up. It takes them too damn long to show up in that movie (Even though they're great when they do)

Also, the greatest zombie movie is clearly this:

Mortamus:
I'm very shocked to see that Kyle didn't use Simon Pegg and Nick Frost being comic gold for crazy scenarios in his argument. Everyone watching those movies can relate to the characters they portray, while not many can relate Woody's killtastic self-parodying machismo. I have to say though, I loooved Zombieland, but the main character was honestly the least interesting part about it for me.

Oh wait, Bill Murray. Yeah...

I love Bill Murray and Emma Stone but Shaun of Dead, is the better movie. I enjoy both but Shaun of the Dead has more longevity I suppose.

As for vampire movies I guess it depends on if we go with comical or serious, I would go with parodies for vampires or pre-twilight vampires that aren't lame.

Got to say though I do enjoy Dracula Dead and Loving It.

How could you possibly lose when you are basically given an instant win card with Shawn of the Dead? Just check out the rest of the comments, while Zombieland is just a funny little zombie parody, Shawn of the Dead is a hilarious take on the genre with real character development and amazing actors. Also one thing that blew me way was how they never addressed the ending, it's the greatest zombie ending ever, and no I won't spoil it.

This isn't even up for debate; Shaun of the Dead is simply the best.

And you put it up against Zombieland? That movie was terrible!

"Hey, let's go to the one place that doesn't have zombies, and make tons of noise and turn on flashy lights there! We r smrt!"

I've only seen SotD so I can't rightly say.

But, I will say the best Zombie movie is "Zombies of Mora Tau", mainly for a single scene near the end. I won't tell you what it is so you will have to check it out for yourself.

BTW Kyle, great laugh.

Slightly relevant link!

Thank 28 days later for bringing back zombies. Me and my friend had watched every zombie ever made practically. There are very few from the NOTLD 90 to 2002. The last "Return" movie was in 94' I think. After that, NOTHING.

When we came out of the theater from 28 days later; people were buzzing and I said to him, I said Craig, this movie is gonna bring the zombies back. Sure enough, here we are.

CynderBloc:

Dascylus:
Shaun of the Dead is my personal pick but it is a pretty even match...

But Vampires? Cos if you're gonna debate vampire movies...

Near Dark vs Lost Boys...

That's a great shout, although I would guess that a lot more people would have seen or at least heard of Lost Boys compared to Near Dark.

Of course, Near Dark wins because of the bar scene

I prefer Near Dark too but if it wasn't a close fight it wouldn't be a good game... So...

I see your bar scene and raise you the Frog Brothers trying to expose Max at the dinner table.

lostlevel:

As for vampire movies I guess it depends on if we go with comical or serious, I would go with parodies for vampires or pre-twilight vampires that aren't lame.

Got to say though I do enjoy Dracula Dead and Loving It.

No, not another enema!

Shaun of the Dead is the smarter movie, with actual meaning and recognizable characters, but Zombieland is more fun and I wouldn't mind rewatching it. It's been a long time since I've seen SotD mind, but in my memory I can't recall a character I liked to any degree, even if they were recognizable.

My own contribution.

Excuse me? There is no way 'Zombieland' could win this debate. I thought the movie was OK, but nowhere near as great as 'Shaun of the Dead'.

Shaun of the Dead's writing is clever, the actors are fantastic, the (insider) jokes are really good and you can get sooo much more out of the movie if you've been keeping an eye on Simon Pegg's career or the british comedy scene in general.

Sorry, but as much as I like Emma Stone, she doesn't cut it.

Since the guy on the left only seems to care about fun and crazy in a zombie movie, I am surprised he didn't pick Braindead.

I would pick between Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, or Dawn of the Dead remake, as my number one.

SotD should have won in my opinion, but from the very start it was easy to predict that it wouldn't =p. Also, I know he didn't get points for this, but how is "because America!" an argument?! X3

rembrandtqeinstein:

Dead Snow is scary, funny, smart, and well crafted. If you haven't seen it yet watch it and it will make your top 10 list if not bump off your current number 1.

Noooooo! Not Norwegian nazi-zombie crap XD. Seriously, I'm sorry. I'm from Norway, but I can NOT like this movie XD.

Oh, and yes, you ARE allowed to disagree with me. Everyone is. I won't cry X3.

soren7550:

"Hey, let's go to the one place that doesn't have zombies, and make tons of noise and turn on flashy lights there! We r smrt!"

So much for their precious "rules"!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or