No Right Answer: Best Zombie Movie Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Seriously, did he get an entire point for doing a Jerry Springer esque "AMERICA! USA USA USA!" until his counter went up to 3?

On topic: Shaun of the Dead was really masterfully done. The acting, the setting, the music, the camerawork. It was just really good without ever going too into itself.

Zombieland was good, it was a good movie. But sometimes it felt too... what's the word... like it had no idea what it wanted to be. At first it seems like it'd be a zombie apoc from a thinking man's view (in the vein of Dexter, getting into the mind of it all) but then just degenerates into a typical zombie movie. A good zombie movie, but nothing we've not already seen before.

And yes THAT scene with Woody Harrelson was seven shades of pure awesome, but if we said "best scene in a zombie movie" then that would win hands down. But a movie is the sum of its parts and Shaun of the Dead parts make a larger sum than Zombieland. Simple. Also I personally had been waiting for more Simon Pegg since Spaced stopped airing.

PS: The Bill Murray cameo was stupid and pointless, it was just basically stopping the whole damn movie so people can go "look we have Bill Murray in our movie!" and all the characters were dancing along like one of those over-active interviewers on convention floors. "HOLY SHIT WE'RE HERE WITH ****, OMG IT'S HIM, IT'S HIM". Sorry Bill, it was a nice cameo, but they milked it like some cheesy audience-clap-a-thon shitty sitcomcs.

... i am dissapoint!

ok, first of all, Best Zombie movie is a minefield, and as some here have already said, to diss the various splits in the growth of zombie movies over the years is why you can't really call a best. there's a lot of top picks depending on what? best slow zombie, fast zombie, historical relevance, action? welp, you picked two of the better parody-style ones, and I can't blame you. I may have collected my fair share, but SoTD and Zombieland are in my top 5s overall.

as Deshin above me already said Zombieland had good scenes, but for the whole MOVIE, id say SOTD takes this. hands down. maybe i do just really like Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, but it really did feel like it fit the hybrid genre it was given, and as a full movie, ive watched it more than any other zombie film. yeah, Shaun gets down about his problems, but its counterbalanced well by how one day life is normal, then it flips on his head for him in a very surprising manner when we already know something has gone down. its one of my favorite Zero Moment Zombie films just for how it paces the outbreak around shaun- and how he doesn't realize whats going on until the girl in the garden (which, by the way- in the garden there's a girl). the fact they worked in some hilarious sequences despite how much worse it was getting really brought it home into my most watched slot. where with most zombie movies the finale is why i watch, SoTD just felt great the whole way across.

ok, where was the Queen countershot to the "AMERICA!" or "we have Emma Stone" bits? that's a super weapon!

Since I'm part British, I really should prefer Shaun of the Dead, but I really couldn't click with it like I did with Hot Fuzz. It had funny parts, but overall I found Zombieland much more enjoyable (as long as you ignore that weird Bill Murray cameo which killed the flow of the film a bit for me). And having a brunette Emma Stone helps.

AngelOfBlueRoses:
I can't believe Shaun of the Dead lost. Zombieland was alright, but it just can't compare to SotD

Surprise, 2 Americans choose American movie over British movie. Half of Zombielands points were "its in America".
No surprise really, and definatly not the right answer.

Shaun of the Dead,

A brilliant movie that is smarter, better written, and more entertaining that any other Zombie movie I've ever seen (and trust me I've seen a few of them!)

I may not have seen a lot of zombie movies, but:

Land of the Dead
Lots of zombie killing, metaphor, gore, Dennis Hopper. Good fun and not as uncomfortable as other zombie movies.

[for the record: I enjoyed Zombieland and the way better ShaunOTD but somehow I can't see them as "zombie movies"]

I would like to thank @firefilm for the video, it's done it's part to stimulate the economy... Here's why;

I got home from work last night with the intention of killing some Russians/Marines in BF3, but before I could get started, noticed the video comparing Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland... Couple clicks later I'm listening intently to the playful debate and realized that I really wanted to watch Shaun of the Dead now. Hopped on Netflix; no Shaun of the Dead. Let it slide because I had another movie I wouldn't mind watching either; Zombieland; also not on Netflix. Now I'm left digging through the few hundred DVDs I own just to see if I had purchased either of these movies, which I found I had not. Now I'm irritiated that a guy who rarely watches movies has 2 he would watch right then, but can't. So I watched Lord of War.

I then went to Half.com and immediately purchased both Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland.

Thank you, No Right Answer, for stimulating the economy.

captcha: flip-flops; what I was doing last night trying to decide which zombie classic to watch...

l0ckd0wn:
I would like to thank @firefilm for the video, it's done it's part to stimulate the economy... Here's why;

I got home from work last night with the intention of killing some Russians/Marines in BF3, but before I could get started, noticed the video comparing Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland... Couple clicks later I'm listening intently to the playful debate and realized that I really wanted to watch Shaun of the Dead now. Hopped on Netflix; no Shaun of the Dead. Let it slide because I had another movie I wouldn't mind watching either; Zombieland; also not on Netflix. Now I'm left digging through the few hundred DVDs I own just to see if I had purchased either of these movies, which I found I had not. Now I'm irritiated that a guy who rarely watches movies has 2 he would watch right then, but can't. So I watched Lord of War.

I then went to Half.com and immediately purchased both Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland.

Thank you, No Right Answer, for stimulating the economy.

captcha: flip-flops; what I was doing last night trying to decide which zombie classic to watch...

Just doing our part, thanks for creating jobs for orphans or something? Lol

Here's hoping World War Z ends up being the best zombie movie yet.

But seriously, enough with the zombies. People need to get more creative.

AngelOfBlueRoses:
I can't believe Shaun of the Dead lost. Zombieland was alright, but it just can't compare to SotD

Shaun of the Dead was a clever movie, Zombieland killed my brain a little. I grew tired of the whole 'Merica fuck yeah mentality of Zombieland.

'MERICA!

Anyway, I can't decide on a better movie between the two. both are good for different reasons.

Touche, gentlemen. Touche.

CLEARLY the best zombie movie is Twilight. Not only is the main character a zombie, and the only zombie in the film, but it is also the best Horror series in the world, bar none.

Theres no point in even having these things, Romero's Dawn of the Dead (not the remkae) and Day of the Dead take the top 2 spots, with the rest of the movies out there taking a very far 3rd place with maybe 28 Days Later being at the top of that pile... with some of the parodies going beneath it like Shaun of the Dead, though some people wouldn't even count the parodies as some just prefer serious films.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here