The Shilling

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

AlexanderPeregrine:
What always pissed me off about Nickelback is how little they think of their audience. Besides basically using a glam metal album structure without the tongue-in-cheek irony, their songs assume their audience consists of unambitious, conformist idiots that have nothing else going on in their lives but getting drunk, fucking, and wondering why their lives are shit. It would be one thing if they actually believed in all this... but they don't!

It may just be because I'm British, but I find Nickelback's music to be almost completely tongue-in-cheek. So many of the songs are so wonderfully silly, full of over-blown innuendo and stories about drunken stupidity. "Something in Your Mouth" makes me smile every time I listen to it. It's completely stupid, but completely full of life.

I'm not such a fan of their more serious offerings like "Just to Get High" (although "Lullaby" was surprisingly decent) but when they're being silly they're great.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
The wise prophet Jeph Jacques once said "The greatest hipster (indy) band ever created creates no songs, releases no material. That way, they can never be mainstream, and thus be a perfect talking out your ass point forever."

A wise man indeed.

After all, it wouldn't do become popular or (heaven forbid) to make money out of that-one-thing-you-want-to-do-with-your-life.

MetalMagpie:

NameIsRobertPaulson:
The wise prophet Jeph Jacques once said "The greatest hipster (indy) band ever created creates no songs, releases no material. That way, they can never be mainstream, and thus be a perfect talking out your ass point forever."

A wise man indeed.

After all, it wouldn't do become popular or (heaven forbid) to make money out of that-one-thing-you-want-to-do-with-your-life.

You kidding? They make their money working fast food under an assumed name, whenever they're not sitting at Starbucks with a laptop talking about how all these different bands were cooler before normal people heard of them.

My only real problem with Nickelback came about when this happened:

That said I do Like the song that Kroeger featured on that Santana did a few years back.

Fappy:

Andy Shandy:
Meh, I quite enjoy both Linkin Park and Nickelback. In fact, Linkin Park are one of my favourite bands (up there with NIN), and yes this includes all their stuff, old and new. Or at least their music, not a fan of the Medal Of Honor ads though. Although that's more due to it being Medal Of Honor.

Please don't kill me!

I personally can't stand anything post Hybrid Theory except for maybe one or two songs from Meteora.

I dont know if it's my browser or your avatar, but your Weeping Angel moves when I scroll away from it and back again. You creepy bastard D:

On topic: I don't know either band. I've heard the names but I doubt I know the songs. Still enjoyed the comic though :)

Thedutchjelle:

Fappy:

Andy Shandy:
Meh, I quite enjoy both Linkin Park and Nickelback. In fact, Linkin Park are one of my favourite bands (up there with NIN), and yes this includes all their stuff, old and new. Or at least their music, not a fan of the Medal Of Honor ads though. Although that's more due to it being Medal Of Honor.

Please don't kill me!

I personally can't stand anything post Hybrid Theory except for maybe one or two songs from Meteora.

I dont know if it's my browser or your avatar, but your Weeping Angel moves when I scroll away from it and back again. You creepy bastard D:

On topic: I don't know either band. I've heard the names but I doubt I know the songs. Still enjoyed the comic though :)

What are you talking about? It's a statue! Statues don't move!

I liked 'All the right reasons'...

Hybrid < Minutes < Meteora < Living < Reanimation < Thousand

Questions?

Grey Carter:
I disagree. In fact, I'd say that convincing people that expectations of integrity belong only in the realms of hipsterdom is one of the many reasons mainstream music is in such a sorry state.

People need and want money, I dig that and I think everyone should get one freebie (I'm looking at you, Muse). But Linkin Park have put their name behind not one, not two, but three of Bay's Transformer movies and two of EA's terrible COD knock-offs.

Your point kinda falls apart when other bands put their name behind other properties and receive only praise.

Nobody accused The National of selling out when they produced a song for Portal. The only thing that happened is that it got nominated for best video game music.

If people hate the music and/or property then they'll call it selling out. If people love the music and/or property then it's all good.

Which makes "selling out" quite meaningless since if there's one thing that people will never agree on it's what is good and what is bad.

Hagi:

Grey Carter:
I disagree. In fact, I'd say that convincing people that expectations of integrity belong only in the realms of hipsterdom is one of the many reasons mainstream music is in such a sorry state.

People need and want money, I dig that and I think everyone should get one freebie (I'm looking at you, Muse). But Linkin Park have put their name behind not one, not two, but three of Bay's Transformer movies and two of EA's terrible COD knock-offs.

Your point kinda falls apart when other bands put their name behind other properties and receive only praise.

Nobody accused The National of selling out when they produced a song for Portal. The only thing that happened is that it got nominated for best video game music.

If people hate the music and/or property then they'll call it selling out. If people love the music and/or property then it's all good.

Which makes "selling out" quite meaningless since if there's one thing that people will never agree on it's what is good and what is bad.

This is also a very good point that I forgot to make. It seems the sell-out mantra only comes up when the people making that accusation already have an axe to grind.

Ironically, I'll be more convinced of it as a legitimate criticism when I hear someone say "I get that this is a complete sell-out, but I like the song anyway."

tehweave:
I don't hate Nickelback.

I'm not a fan, but I could pick out 3 or so songs out of their entire repertoire that I actually enjoy.

Heck, I have a few on my MP3 player.

They aren't awful, but I'm not going to sing their praises.

They're okay.

I must concur. A few of their songs are ok. That's why they're so popular, and so popular to hate. They're so incredibly vanilla and omnipresent.

I like Nickleback.

There, I said it.

Devoneaux:

To be perfectly honest, Linken Park deserves a lot of their bile, but not for the reasons people say. "Blah Blah Blah Selloutsellout" who cares? Here's something I find much more applicable:

In almost every single song they've written, LP has some kind of drum beat going. But last I looked, they don't have a drummer. -_- It's that they are just a lazy fucking band, letting computers do half the work while reaping 100% of the benefits. People shouldn't pay others for music that they can just as easily make themselves at home with a decent computer and some shitty software.

Even if they didn't have a drummer (they do) that's a terrible, terrible reason to hate a band. For one, how does using programmed drums diminish the quality of the songwriting? Especially if the drums sound fairly convincing which is rather difficult to do, especially with "shitty software."

I mean, I really dislike Linkin Park but that's because I think their songs are shit. Especially the first two albums.

it's possible to be commercially sucessful without being a sellout. For example, when Geffen complained that Neil Youngs albums for them weren't "Rock & Roll" enough, he recorded an entire album of 1950's-style Rockabilly, Everybody's Rockin'. As he later said,"If you're going to tell me to record a Rock & Roll album, you'd better make damn sure you know what you mean by Rock & Roll".

ScrabbitRabbit:

Devoneaux:

To be perfectly honest, Linken Park deserves a lot of their bile, but not for the reasons people say. "Blah Blah Blah Selloutsellout" who cares? Here's something I find much more applicable:

In almost every single song they've written, LP has some kind of drum beat going. But last I looked, they don't have a drummer. -_- It's that they are just a lazy fucking band, letting computers do half the work while reaping 100% of the benefits. People shouldn't pay others for music that they can just as easily make themselves at home with a decent computer and some shitty software.

Even if they didn't have a drummer (they do) that's a terrible, terrible reason to hate a band. For one, how does using programmed drums diminish the quality of the songwriting? Especially if the drums sound fairly convincing which is rather difficult to do, especially with "shitty software."

I mean, I really dislike Linkin Park but that's because I think their songs are shit. Especially the first two albums.

Well let's see, if the drums can be replaced with a computer program, then you might as well replace all of them and cut out the middleman. If I was a music publisher, I would probably just have some guys make the music through a computer, pay a few shlubs to pretend to be musicians and then keep more of the profits for myself. I'unno.

In all honesty the 50 Cent video-game was better than expected...not good, just better.

TsunamiWombat:

tehweave:
I don't hate Nickelback.

I'm not a fan, but I could pick out 3 or so songs out of their entire repertoire that I actually enjoy.

Heck, I have a few on my MP3 player.

They aren't awful, but I'm not going to sing their praises.

They're okay.

I must concur. A few of their songs are ok. That's why they're so popular, and so popular to hate. They're so incredibly vanilla and omnipresent.

My problem is that I've listened to 10+ of their songs at varying times in my life, and I could swear they only ever wrote one that everybody really liked. Maybe I'm spoiled by Dethklok making sure each album has a distinct sound and each song its own voice, but Jesus fucking Christ they all sound like the same chords, lyrics and singing rhythm thrown in a blender multiple times.

Devoneaux:

Well let's see, if the drums can be replaced with a computer program, then you might as well replace all of them and cut out the middleman. If I was a music publisher, I would probably just have some guys make the music through a computer, pay a few shlubs to pretend to be musicians and then keep more of the profits for myself. I'unno.

I understand where you're coming from, but I'm not sure it'll happen. People will always want to see good musicians playing. Even modern pop, which is near-universally computer generated, will often feature actual instrumentalists in it's live performances because it's just so much more interesting to watch.

I think that the worst thing the increasing quality of sample libraries will do is to kill the studio session musician. More and more TV, film and game soundtracks are relying on computer-based music because the quality is getting so good. It is a shame... but live music and bands should be largely unaffected, I think.

I like 'Rockstar' by Nickelback. A lot. And I couldn't give a toss about any of their other songs or about the love/hate relationship people have with them

But I actually like Linkin Park.

Y'know, truth be told, I haven't really heard a song by Nickelback I didn't like yet ('cept maybe Rock Star), but I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh every time someone makes a Nickelback joke. It's like making fun of Taco Bell, something about it just tickles my funny bone...

...Unlike Taco Bell itself, which manages to tickle my pelvic splanchnic ganglion every time I eat it.

Fappy:
Inaccurate. The lead singer of Nickelback is much uglier than that!

Evidence:

I'm not a fan of shitting on folks but his image does tend to make me double take.

and I mean...I see myself in the mirror every morning, so you'd think I'd be desensitized to this kind of thing by now.

Jerry Pendleton:
But I actually like Linkin Park.

A lot of people do. Personally I think they are just fine and their lyrics are actually fairly snazzy in some cases.

Regardless they do excellent jobs at remixes and some of their music videos are very nerdy and not a chore to watch.

Lyri:
I like Nickleback.

There, I said it.

I don't care for them but I don't dislike their music, it just doesn't work for me.

I bet you half the folks that shit on them sing along when it comes on >_>.

Reminds me of my Junior High experience, I got called gay etc for playing Pokemon. Because boys were trying to be all manly at our school (I assume hormones), anywho almost all of them ended up admitting to playing it and liking it and I ended up trading Pokemon with the very same guy who berated me in the middle of the Cafeteria a few months after the incident.

So these days when people say "X IS TERRIBLE!" I assume they are just closeted more often than not.

Nickleback is the band everyone else seems to imitate, intentional or not, if I'm not mistaken?

And Linken Park is selling out.... more.
Kinda sad, I like artists who stick to their guns. True blue never say die, never give in to greed guys.

Neil Young comes to mind. Never has, never will.

Fappy:

Thedutchjelle:

Fappy:

He must of blinked...

And dear god... the first several comments first page? Priceless! I still happen to dig Metallica (yes even some of the stuff released after said album), Nickelback still has 1 or 2 songs that don't sound the same or aren't obviously shilled out to maximize profits...

Linken Park though? Last album I got... can't remember the name but god... I can only listen to half the songs on it. Ironically enough, the songs on it I like are all even numbered, while the ones I hate are odd numbered tracks.

Fappy:

Thedutchjelle:

Fappy:

Step 1: reads what is written
Step 2: gets very curious
Step 3: tries it out
Step 4: horrified by cannot stop scrolling
Step 5: shits self

thanks guys

LP sold their soul, shat themselves and died when they did a cross-over with Jay-z. It doesn't help that they are a manufactured band.

I just don't like Nickleback because it seems like every song of theirs that makes it to the radio (at least these days) is about bangin' a stripper. That might be fine for the first 3 times, but it starts to get old when all your songs are about how smokin' hot the chick you're bangin' is.

:P My brother doesn't like them because the lead singer plays with the "Power Guitar Stance". That is, legs spread in a wide stance and leaning back a bit as though he's getting blown away by the music.

Biodeamon:
In all honesty the 50 Cent video-game was better than expected...not good, just better.

Blood on the Sand? Actually surprisingly good. The fact it took itself WAAAY seriously despite the ridiculous plot made it funny.

Nickelback are the victims of the corporate music industry takeover. There is just no soul or flair any more man *takes a long draw on a bong*

I actually think Linkin park are really good

just saying

(especially thousand suns)

Vault101:
I actually think Linkin park are really good

just saying

(especially thousand suns)

Arguably their best album next to Hybrid.

their award on the third picture looks very disturbing. i hope there's no explanation to that.

OfficialJab:
Hybrid < Minutes < Meteora < Living < Reanimation < Thousand

Questions?

Reanimation < Meteora < Minutes <= Hybrid < Living < Thousand

I'm really liking the rhymesmithing Shinoda is up to in the recent albums.

I listened to living things after playing spec ops: the line all the way through and.... yeah.

Come on! They aren't that b-

Nope, can't say it. I tried, I really did.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here