The Big Picture: Shlocktober 2012: Equinox

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shlocktober 2012: Equinox

One last treat for Halloween - the monster-filled Equinox.

Watch Video

God, those old school movies sure do love that harpsicord stuff. Glad we grew out of that.

Nothing can top attack of the super monsters.

Wow, I wish I could make it big on my college projects.

Kinda ironic that a film called Equinox ended up being too short.

canadamus_prime:

Talk about "old school".

DVS BSTrD:

canadamus_prime:

Talk about "old school".

Huh? What? I don't follow.

...Well, that was... huh. I don't know how to describe it. Still, it's nice to know some of the people involved went on to bigger and better things, so there's that...

and this years 'wtf' award goes to 'Attack of the super monsters' and here to present the award is last years winner, 'night of the lepus'

good vid, but the 'wtf-ery' of this one as opposed to last weeks is just not enough

Just what I love about The Big Picture, an introduction to the obscure and enjoyable cheese that got lost in time. Great Schlocktober Bob, I've watched some...interesting stuff this month thanks to you.

Proving once again that puppetry and stop motion are far superior to CGI. Even though those monsters were obviously fake, the still had a real physicality to them, more weighted, than anything done with CGI

I'm quite glad to hear Criterion picked up this movie. Everything they seem to release blows my mind in some way, and this seems like no exception. I think I'll try looking for it. Thank Moviebob, a fun time to be had for Halloween.

That dinosaur always cracks me up :P

GREAT shlocktober Bob, I'm sad it's over :(

you should have done attack of the super monsters last now the final shlocktober is kind of underwhelming.

Tyrannus for President.

I hope Emperor Tyrannus comes back EVERY week.

canadamus_prime:

DVS BSTrD:

canadamus_prime:

Talk about "old school".

College, school, it's suppposed to be, like, a pun. Anyway, another Schlocktober has come and gone, leaving a mass of weird old movies and scores of confused, if not amused, viewers in its wake.

captcha: It's Super Delicious
Said Emperor Tyranus about man-flesh

Surprisingly I'm not a big fan Shlocktober
Maybe because I'm from area where Halloween isn't a thing (while there are some weirdos walking around during that period, it is mostly non-existent)
Or maybe I don't find horror movies interesting
While occasionally there are hilarious episodes (like Attack of the Super Monsters episode), it is mostly meh.

P.S. Seriously Attack of the Super Monsters should have been the last movie of Shlocktober. Because I don't think anything can beat that.

Emperor Tyrannus for preside... err... emperor!

Darth_Payn:

canadamus_prime:

DVS BSTrD:
Talk about "old school".

College, school, it's suppposed to be, like, a pun. Anyway, another Schlocktober has come and gone, leaving a mass of weird old movies and scores of confused, if not amused, viewers in its wake.

captcha: It's Super Delicious
Said Emperor Tyranus about man-flesh

Yes yes, I know. But what confused me was what that had to do with me.

While this may not be as random and off the wall as last week's episode, this is quite interesting actually and I love how most of these early special effects pioneers all end up tying back to the great Ray Harryhausen.

ALL HAIL EMPEROR TYRANNUS!

OT: The effects in that film actually looked surprisingly good for a mid-60's fan film.

Bob, you should just drop the Shlocktober thing and make another weekly video series that's entirely about you talking about an old and bizarre movie every week.

canadamus_prime:

technically you still can
in the world of illustration and animation
its like more affordable basketball
even if your decent someone will pic you up and pay you to do something
you get better you do more stuff
hell someone saw something i did at college and commissioned me to do something for a magazine

The Tall Nerd:

canadamus_prime:

hell someone saw something i did at college and commissioned me to do something for a magazine

True, except nobody watches the ones I put up on YouTube so the chances are extremely slim.

canadamus_prime:

The Tall Nerd:

canadamus_prime:

True, except nobody watches the ones I put up on YouTube so the chances are extremely slim.

just keep working at it, i know a dude who was a sculptor and now he is a storyboarder for a bunch of cartoon network shows. he was in he end of high school when i was a freshman,now he is in the workforce while i am in college.
so i suppose have some skills and be in the right place

Azex:
Proving once again that puppetry and stop motion are far superior to CGI. Even though those monsters were obviously fake, the still had a real physicality to them, more weighted, than anything done with CGI

I was actually involved in a heated debate about that earlier. I think CGFX are great for non living things but I prefer suits and makeup creatures etcetera.

Schlocktober is over already? I'm sad now.

just gonna put this out there Bob: you need to end EVERY episode with Emperor Tyrannus. I mean let's be honest . . . does it really get better than ending on a giant plasticine puppet of a T-Rex doing a cheesey evil cackling laugh in a dark cave?

The Tall Nerd:

canadamus_prime:

The Tall Nerd:

just keep working at it, i know a dude who was a sculptor and now he is a storyboarder for a bunch of cartoon network shows. he was in he end of high school when i was a freshman,now he is in the workforce while i am in college.
so i suppose have some skills and be in the right place

I suppose it would help if I made more videos.

Ah, Equinox! I remember watching that film on TV in the 70s and early 80s!

MovieBob...do you remember Laser Blast?

So this is the prequel to within the woods :D

I for one welcome our evil T-Rex overlords. Also, I really want to see the original cut of Equinox. Sounds like the re-cut throws off the idea a bit.

Bob, lemme throw something out here...

You spent 2 episodes discussing Hercules, 2 episodes discussing Sucker Punch, 2 episodes discussing Ms. Marvel, 2 episodes discussing The Flintstones, and 2 episodes about The Simpsons...

...Trust me when I say I don't think you'd be milking it at all to give us an extra episode just to cover more ground on Attack of the Super Monsters.

I think it's pretty clear from what I'm reading here that no one would mind.

canadamus_prime:

The Tall Nerd:

canadamus_prime:

You should post it here. I'd love to see it!

Pwease?

saintdane05:

canadamus_prime:

The Tall Nerd:

You should post it here. I'd love to see it!

Pwease?

I linked them to my Escapist profile, not that anyone looks there.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here