Medal Of Honor Warfighter Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

-Dragmire-:
Love the song!

Total Biscuit has a vid that perfectly shows a great example of dieing when doing something the game doesn't want you to that Gav talked about.

I'd link it but it might be considered to be in bad taste to post it here in Gav's review.

I'm always happy to have some TotalBiscuit on my threads ;) The guy is outspoken, funny and brutally honest, all of which I admire.

I enjoyed the music, and I might actually have to download the song. It is short yet entertaining.

Will CoD Black Ops 2 be rated any different I wonder?

I know this complaint is out of your control, but it is really having to watch a 32 second AC3 trailer every time I want to watch the 1 minute and 4 second song.

I often think EA bashing is overdone. I may understand plenty of the reasons behind it, but I still think the extent to which it is taken is a little ludicrous much of the time.

In this case however, I am quite happy to jump right on the bandwagon, torch and pitchfork in hand. Medal of Honor: Frontline was the first game I ever remember loving. Hell, I even thought Airborne was good. How dare you EA, for turning this franchise into nothing more than a glorified Battlefield beta. How dare you.

hmmm... ok I know the games not that great, but I wonder if some of this angst isn't coming from the fact the military shooter is running its course...it's

Reminds me of "America, Fuck Yeah!"

So...is it not as good as the MOH1's SP?

erttheking:
You know, I find it kinda funny that people honestly say that the Escapist has sold out to EA when they give reviews like this. Rather accurate "meh" reviews.

Oddly, I've never actually seen anyone say that.

An informative and very entertaining review, I hope to see more reviews from you Gav~!

My brother loves military shooters, I'll make a point to warn him away from this one (and maybe motion him towards Battlefield?).

Dango:

erttheking:
You know, I find it kinda funny that people honestly say that the Escapist has sold out to EA when they give reviews like this. Rather accurate "meh" reviews.

Oddly, I've never actually seen anyone say that.

I usually hear it from people who aren't escapists, but still that's rare.

OT: Is weird that I actually wish the song was full length? It was so goofy and over the top, but it also had the "Fuck Yeah" adrenaline pumping thing going on :)

I remember the last Medal of Honor game I played was rising sun. It wasn't really a great game, but damn if it doesn't seem like Half life or Halo: CE (SHUTUP, HALO IS AWESOME!) compared to this... exercise in masochism. You can't explore? At all? Not even the token branching linear kind of stuff in the good CODs? Seriously, I know FPS's aren't renowned for exploration, but I could explore at least a little in Half life, Time shift, Halo (Mombasa anyone?), and even Goldeneye. Why would I play an FPS that aspires to be a horrible rail shooter?

This genre depresses me now-a-days. I'm going back to Skyrim. I still need to do a Khajiit sneak-thief play-through

Anyway, nice review Gav.

So tired, cliche-ridden, bug-plagued games 2 notable shining moments gets a 2-and-a-half star dead average? Jesus, what would a game have to do to be considered worse than average?

razer17:

ZippyDSMlee:
Ouch it might not sell well after all....

erttheking:

This is not one of their main titles desu.

A big budget shooter that they pumped a boatload of money to? Yeah, I think this is pretty high on their list. And considering that the last one sold pretty well, I imagine they thought they could get it to possibly slightly rival CoD, ergo it is a main title.

Mmmmm one can only have so many main tittles. This is more a spin off that's trying to make a name for itself and is failing at it.

MrGalactus:
So tired, cliche-ridden, bug-plagued games 2 notable shining moments gets a 2-and-a-half star dead average? Jesus, what would a game have to do to be considered worse than average?

Remember our scores are a little more recommendations than a straight technical breakdown.

What Our Review Scores Mean

It's not so broken as to be completely nonfunctional and there's still enough there that fans will enjoy it. A truly bad and under average game would be something like X-Men Destiny.

Slycne:

MrGalactus:

Remember our scores are a little more recommendations than a straight technical breakdown.

What Our Review Scores Mean

It's not so broken as to be completely nonfunctional and there's still enough there that fans will enjoy it. A truly bad and under average game would be something like X-Men Destiny.

Ooooh. Well under that qualification, the score makes perfect sense. I shall close my mouth forever.
Also, I thoroughly enjoyed that X_Men destiny review. I love it when people hate things.

"Sadly it is let down by the hamfisted emotional linchpin of the main character's terrifyingly animated wife and demon child from the darkest, dead-eyed depths of the uncanny valley. I can never unsee it."

Hahahaha. So many priceless quotes in this review.

You know EA, with the millions you spent on this game you could've at least used that money to give us a new Mirror's Edge. Just sayin'.

You spend 2/3-3/4 of the review talking about the bad parts of the game and then give it a 2.5/5 (effectively, 5/10, in other words- the game was average)?! How bad does a game have to be to get a bad score?!

Is this Gav's first review? Very well done sir! Extremely entertaining read!

I'd like to see a first person shooter from the middle east where you have to defend your country from ignorant corn-fed G.I Joe stereotypes running around screaming "fuck yeah!" and "this one's for Jeebus!" while raping women and children and accidentally killing each other between random war crimes. It would be interesting to see how many people who play these MOH and COD games start kicking off about 'propaganda' when the shoes on the other foot!!

I seem to remember someone with EA tweeting about how Call of Duty is "looking tired" and should rest for a bit. Well, who's the tired one now?

MiracleOfSound:

-Dragmire-:
Love the song!

Total Biscuit has a vid that perfectly shows a great example of dieing when doing something the game doesn't want you to that Gav talked about.

I'd link it but it might be considered to be in bad taste to post it here in Gav's review.

I'm always happy to have some TotalBiscuit on my threads ;) The guy is outspoken, funny and brutally honest, all of which I admire.

i laughed when i saw that but i didnt realise until this review that getting killed for steping where the game doesnt want you to will kill you was usual practice for this game.

hes not wrong then it is dragons lair but with guns

Have Danger Close actually made anything that was half decent? I wanted to see another developer try Frostbite 2, maybe it is as difficult to work with as DICE have claimed...I guess I'll wait and see if fauxBioware do any better with the C&C gane.

Very Zakk Wylde. Very cool, loved it!

Nice review from Gav here. Nice that he tied in a song with it. :P Is he going to be doing more reviews for the Escapist?

5ilver:
You spend 2/3-3/4 of the review talking about the bad parts of the game and then give it a 2.5/5 (effectively, 5/10, in other words- the game was average)?! How bad does a game have to be to get a bad score?!

Because reviews should always have a score whose number is identical to ratio of time spent talking about the good bits of game, right? Right? Wrong.

Just saying this not feel like a main game, its too half assed.

That was awesome! I wonder if we can convince Susan to sing her next video supplement.

This was awesome. Hoping to get more videos like this.

that was actually pretty funy
and nice riffs gav!

The worst part of it is that it's so short
Extended version would be nice
Otherwise- awesome song

JonnWood:

maninahat:

erttheking:

People say that?

Anyway, this is game that actually kills you for walking off the path. It's like they went out of their way to make generic linear shooting even worse. Maybe its a cry for help. Judging by the review, I'm surprised to see it even garner a 2 and 1/2. I can only imagine the half star is demonstrative of the Escapist's vassalage to EA.

You're...you're kidding, right?

I was trying to think up a smart arsed reply for you, but I couldn't think of anything.

Yes, I was kidding.

I would like to see a truly innovative realistic military shooter where the first mission is being put on guard duty for the base and seeing absolutely nothing for 2 hours. Eventually, you suddenly see a bunch of men come over a hill yelling and after shooting them you find out they were unarmed civilians and the next 10 missions are proceedings for a military tribunal.

maninahat:

JonnWood:

maninahat:

People say that?

Anyway, this is game that actually kills you for walking off the path. It's like they went out of their way to make generic linear shooting even worse. Maybe its a cry for help. Judging by the review, I'm surprised to see it even garner a 2 and 1/2. I can only imagine the half star is demonstrative of the Escapist's vassalage to EA.

You're...you're kidding, right?

I was trying to think up a smart arsed reply for you, but I couldn't think of anything.

Yes, I was kidding.

I'm fairly positive the guy was talking about the killing when straying off path bit, not the EA bit. :P

"After Spec Ops: The Line completely dominated our genre and exposed it for the stupidity that it is, I think this would be the perfect time to release this game" said someone, at some stage at EA.

I suspect the problem with MMS games (as Totalbiscuit described them in his video) is simply a lack of guts. People want these games set in modern times, but due to politics and fear of accusations of bigotry/racism/nationalism and backlash they are afraid to really let people go in them as a sandbox. Basically with the kinds of violence we see over trailers for movies like "Innocence Of Muslims", which the goverments of the Western World refused to take any retaliatory action for, and even hunted down the guy who made it on fairly irrelevent charges for his free speech rights, just imagine the results if someone was to say made videos of themselves doing all kinds of brutal "Grand Theft Auto" type stuff. If the real life versions of the bad guys in question got uppity it's not like our goverment would shut them down, they would blame the people playing the game, and then ultimatly the game's creator.

To an extent I blame Obama (US President) for not only being non-aggressive, but also being what amounts to a US apologist on the big issues. I can also see why under his reign people have been less than eager to put their free speech right to the test, and expect goverment protection of that right. "Innocence Of Muslims" simply being one incident, but for the last few years we've been seeing outcries against the politically incorrect, and distasteful content in video games. I'm not going to spell that out (don't bother to ask) because it's out there and easy enough to find for anyone who really wants to, and it's increasingly off subject.

The basic point here is that this very linear and scripted campaign pretty much ensures anything the player does is going to fit clearly within a set of guidelines, performing specifing lasing activities, entering the doors your supposed to the way your supposed to, etc... there isn't much room for people to committ "virtual war crimes" within the single player at least, "virtual war crimes" being what would be considered "having fun" to most gamers being more or less what you do in properly open world games.

If you had some guy in CoD say deciding the lase random mosques to increase a kill count, waiting for Muslims to come out for prayer before setting off a bunch of claymores, or just generally decided to drive jeeps and tanks around towns and villages randomly killing everyone and everything insurgent or otherwise, there is probably some concern the goverment will act against the company making the game, or we'd see retaliatory strikes, or whatever else if the videos went up on the internet.

Please note that nothing I'm describing is really any differant that what you'd do in say "Grand Theft Auto(series) ", "Mercenaries (2)", "Saints Row (series)" or "Just Cause (2)" to name just a few. It's just the whole "modern warfare" theme makes it so that there is probably fear about creating a chaos theme park, especially given the setting and focus on real places.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here