Escape to the Movies: Wreck-It Ralph

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Wreck-It Ralph

MovieBob gets into the game in his review of Wreck-It Ralph.

Watch Video

good times; it's kinda weird how Pixar has one of the least good animated movies this year

Also, regarding Calhoun's indictment of how female characters are written in games, it would also help if gamers stopped thinking that it's the ONLY way to write women. Seriously, you've seen one female character in a game you've seen nearly all of them (or at least by Western writing standards).

Funny. I keep trying to make myself FORGET that they're making yet another Wolverine movie.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Wreck-it Ralph. Movie looks amazing and Jane Lynch is one of my favorite character actors working today, so I'm all in on this one. Probably going to pick up my fat arse and actually go out to see this one instead of waiting for Blue-Ray.

Thanks Bob!

Thanks for reminding me, Bob. WHERE IS YOUR BRAVE REVIEW!?!?!

Hmm... am I the only one not excited about this movie? I feel that instead of trying to evoke my interest, they are trying to evoke my nostalgia instead. And I dont like that!

I was planning on seeing this movie, but I wanted to see your opinion on it first. I saw ParaNorman after seeing your review of it, and I'm glad I did. I trust what you say.

Akio91:
Thanks for reminding me, Bob. WHERE IS YOUR BRAVE REVIEW!?!?!

Wait a moment...

...Right here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9760-Near-Miss

You're welcome ;3

Actually, I think they ARE releasing a Fix-It Felix game...though I think it's as either an XBLA title or as DSiWare. I'm not sure which, though...

BTW, you never told us: Do either Tron or Kingdom Hearts make an appearance?

CAPTCHA: this is not fake

I don't believe you. Sorry.

Here in the UK we don't get to see this till February.

There are lots of movies I want to watch this weekend but I am to sick to get out of the house.

Little Duck:

That and Cloud Atlas.

I don't remember a release schedule this stupid.

AJey:
Hmm... am I the only one not excited about this movie? I feel that instead of trying to evoke my interest, they are trying to evoke my nostalgia instead. And I dont like that!

That's only the marketing. The movie itself features the nostalgia only in cameo roles. Although there are quite a few real characters in various cameos, QBert comes the closest to being an important character and he's only in maybe five scenes.

At above: I didn't see Final Fantasy or Tron references, so if they're there, they're in the background.

In Wreck-it Ralph, Game plays You!

I find the premise to be pretty interesting, even if it's not "the ultimate video game movie" I can't turn down a good light-hearted animation. Metacritic has some old critics rather confused by this one :3

>Gives trolls every reason to believe "overthinker will be a slobering fanboy" for this movie
>Has the humility to say "not as good as Toy Story," puts his degree in cinema to work as always

Why do absolute creeps like him or this shallow troofer whom Jim Sterling thoroughly debunks continue to have fans?

Well nice to know we probably comitted genocide on a large scale when all those arcades closed.

AJey:
Hmm... am I the only one not excited about this movie? I feel that instead of trying to evoke my interest, they are trying to evoke my nostalgia instead. And I don't like that!

I work at a theatre so I got to see it last night. Trust me the movie holds up wonderfully if you get the callbacks (Konami Code, placing quarters to call next on a game and so much more yet never too much.)or not and the finale isn't really given away by any of the promotional footage either.

And MovieBob you're right me and one of my bosses were talking earlier this week awesome a real or even a mock-up Wreck-it-Ralph (Fix-it-Felix Jr.) game would have been to have in our arcade that just plays the trailer when you hit the start button but looks like a retro arcade cabinet. For spoiler purposes I could understand having a delay on a physical version of Sugar Rush till a few weeks/months later but the rotating racer roster sounds so entertaining.

Nice to know that it's actually good, would have sucked if all the hype was completely overblown.

Little Duck:

When will they realise that in the digital age if you want to combat piracy a 3 month gap between release in various markets won't help.

GamemasterAnthony:
Actually, I think they ARE releasing a Fix-It Felix game...though I think it's as either an XBLA title or as DSiWare. I'm not sure which, though...

I didn't see (but I wasn't looking for it I will next time.) a Cabinet for Tron or sprites for it walking around and by Kingdom Hearts I assume you mean part of it's cast? They're both too close to home in Disney to work without stealing the scene? Kingdom Hearts on it's only is practically a mini Disney Universe in Final Fantasy Ville which would mean that Disney would do some sort of Inception if either game was mentioned in that Disney made a movie that had stuff from a Disney movie in the movie.

Seems interesting even if I wouldn't reccognize half the characters,cameos and important puns.

Guffe:
Seems interesting even if I wouldn't reccognize half the characters,cameos and important puns.

Don't worry a friend of mine who isn't big on video games and under 20 was thrilled with the movie.

GamemasterAnthony:

Are releasing? They already released it.

http://disney.go.com/wreck-it-ralph/#/games/fix-it-felix

Lucane:

Guffe:

Don't worry a friend of mine who isn't big on video games and under 20 was thrilled with the movie.

Well seems like you just made my mind clear about checking this out when it releases in the lokal cinema ;)

Little Duck:

Don't remind me about that, why the hell us Brits have to wait 3 months later to watch this film???

I do got to agreed that it would of been a clever makerting if Disney did actually make some Wreck-it Ralph arcade machine game. I guess they are too preoccupy with the recent Star Wars purchase to think about that idea.

Over the past few months, Bob has lost loads of his enthusiasm in his voice while reviewing. They're still great reviews, he just doesn't get excited any more, nor does he seem like he's enjoying any of it, which as a viewer, gives me a hard time enjoying it myself.

Glad it was good.
I really like how they actually made the game.
Hope to see it soon!

Hmmm I was planning to see this movie at somepoint, Might do it this weekend.

Little Duck:

I was gobsmacked when I saw that.

I planned to take my little brother over the half term break thinking ...oh it'll probably be a few days past the U.S. release. Checked the cinema schedule.

FEBRUARY!?

Fuck. You.

You had me at shipping XD February seems a long way off right now...

Samus Aran shipped with Mario...OH GOD THE SUPER SMASH BROTHERS FANFICTION FLASHBACKS!!!!

I was extremely prepared for a scathingly negative review, and when I didn't get it I realised that Yahtzee was completely wrong.
So I've spent the entire year expecting this movie to suck. Now that I know it doesn't, I should be pleasantly surprised. Except... I'm not relieved. I still think this movie's going to suck. It has a Metacritic rating of 77, which is in the green zone, and I still think this movie's going to suck. It's, according to Bob, more than just a string of shallow references... and I still think this movie's going to suck.
I hate being a pessimist.

kajinking:
Samus Aran shipped with Mario...OH GOD THE SUPER SMASH BROTHERS FANFICTION FLASHBACKS!!!!

I always thought Samus Aran was always shipped with Snake, or Ike. Then again, EVERYONE shipped with Ike. And Samus/Mario is a relatively tame pairing that I have never, ever seen.
Wait, why am I talking about this?

What's interesting to me is the whole "what if these non-sentient collections of bytes were actually sentient" thing - opined first by Ray Kurzweil, who predicted a "singularity moment" in artificial intelligence years before any of us understood just how much computers were going to take over the world - got its cinematic foundation in TRON, largely overlooked at the time and regarded nostalgically only by super-nerds.

While that movie didn't overtly change the way the world sees computers the way, for example, the Beatles redefined pop music for a generation, the seeds of the idea that were planted in that movie have extended into numerous different areas of pop culture. By the time this movie got around to expanding on the idea of video game characters being "alive", it's appeared in various forms elsewhere. Ghost in the Shell is an obvious example of blurring the line between dehumanized people and humanized software; the Matrix borrows heavily from this idea in constructing its virtual universe. Yahtzee's book Mogworld explores some existential questions revolving around self-aware programs. In a broader sense, movies like Galaxy Quest and Stranger than Fiction and books like Redshirts explore the "what if your TV show was real" idea. What makes Scott Pilgrim interesting is that it inverts the TRON idea; rather than the video games being real, real life is the video game.

Maybe I'm off base on this but it just seems like TRON was the catalyst for a subtle but snowballing shift in storytellers embracing the prospect of digital life the same way their forebears imagined robotic life. Maybe Bob could do a Big Picture on digital existentialism in film one of these days and show me all the little things I missed that completely change the narrative. :)

Little Duck:

For fucks's sake Disney.

As if your paying audience is going to wait around 3 months to have the entire plot spoiled by the internet? Fools.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here