Escape to the Movies: Wreck-It Ralph

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So i just got back from a showing of the movie, and the absolute funniest thing happened to me.

While waiting in line for the movie, I'm just standing there all by my lonesome when I hear some kid yelling about one of the cardboard cutouts. And this is what he said (paraphrased, due to lack of proper short-term memory) "look! Look! its that mario character sonic!"

I just stood there trying to stifle my laughter.

Also:

I saw the first showing I could in a theater near my college.

The theater was pretty full, and most people had come with their children or with a date. I think I was the only one there by myself

All in all, I thought it was a very good movie, though it's not the kind of movie I'd watch again.

QUINTIX:
>Gives trolls every reason to believe "overthinker will be a slobering fanboy" for this movie
>Has the humility to say "not as good as Toy Story," puts his degree in cinema to work as always

Why do absolute creeps like him or this shallow troofer whom Jim Sterling thoroughly debunks continue to have fans?

Was Templar debunked? i dont remember that happening

I just came back from watching it. I have to say I really enjoyed it. I liked the references, but the actual story was very engaging. I liked how it flowed.

The people in my group were half-joking about how kids movies are much more entertaining than more adult-ish movies.

Oh, boy... when Bob said "Unfortunately..." I got nervous for a second. Good to know this movie is good! Been excited for it!

Hang on a sec, what's with this prevailing idea that "Hero's Duty" is a Gears of War knock-off? To me, it appears to be a direct knock-off of Starcraft, with Jude Lynch playing a character very similar to Nova. Hell, the armor is almost directly out of Starcraft, and the Cyberbugs are definitely Zerg-like.

Great movie though, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Gee, I may actually have to go to a movie theater for the first time in years. This movie looks to be a good one.

I just got back from watching it. My god it was an awesome movie. I love the characters. Vanellope is so adorably awesome that at certain scenes it makes me tear up. Ralph is a good guy through and through. It is so very awesome. A great movie. You should all see it!

Wreck-It-Ralph was a great film. I really loved it.

Wreck-It-Raplh spoiler

You think this series will get milked like crazy?

daxterx2005:
You think this series will get milked like crazy?

Disney: "I'm Gonna wreck it!"

Oh god DAMN I am happy this thing is good! It was already a must-see, but now I don't have to worry that it might let me down.

bobmus:

Little Duck:
Here in the UK we don't get to see this till February.

For fucks's sake Disney.

As if your paying audience is going to wait around 3 months to have the entire plot spoiled by the internet? Fools.

In Australia we have to wait until late December! By then the DVD will be uploaded on the usual channels and a lot of people would have protested the fact that movies are not constantly released simultaneously globally by watching it through the only means available to them which happen to be less than legal, thus depriving the movie creators of the money they deserve because they stupidly decided to delay the release

CM156:
I saw the first showing I could in a theater near my college.

The theater was pretty full, and most people had come with their children or with a date. I think I was the only one there by myself

All in all, I thought it was a very good movie, though it's not the kind of movie I'd watch again.

I feel ya, dude, i feel ya...

Just got back from watching it. Easily the best animated film this year. And I was smiling like a dork throughout the entire movie.

It will make you happy you should go see it asap.

Bat Vader:

Wreck-It-Raplh spoiler

She is easily the most adorable thing that ever existed. Seriously my diabetes hurt just by listening to her voice.

LobsterFeng:

Bat Vader:

Wreck-It-Raplh spoiler

She is easily the most adorable thing that ever existed. Seriously my diabetes hurt just by listening to her voice.

Sarah Silverman did a great job with voicing Vanellope. I plan on going to see the film again with a friend of mine in the next week or so.

Edit: It was just that one scene that made me go from liking her character to going Awww whenever she talked or did something.

Just saw it. Good, but not really "great" movie with an INCREDIBLE short film at the start. Seriously, Disney almost could have charged $10 for that alone.

Redem:
Well nice to know we probably comitted genocide on a large scale when all those arcades closed.

but we gave life to millions

bobmus:

Little Duck:
Here in the UK we don't get to see this till February.

For fucks's sake Disney.

As if your paying audience is going to wait around 3 months to have the entire plot spoiled by the internet? Fools.

Exactly, I'm usually waiting for 2-3 weeks and if by that time movie isn't in local movie theaters then I go to the torrents.
Seriously Disney, WTF? Are you doing this on purpose? You know, to blame evil pirates for your own mistakes.

Because I expected this movie, and when I saw this review, I was surprised because I wasn't expecting this movie so soon.
Then I checked the movie theaters around
"Now in Theather"- no "Wreck-it Ralph" yet, wasn't expecting it to be here already anyway, let's check
"Soon in Theather"- nothing? not even in few months? seriously? but hey, there is another "Twilight" coming out this month... wow... oh boy, Christmas has come early this year >:(

So I'll wait for a few weeks, but most probably I will be torrenting this movie
I don't want to because then I will be one of the reasons such movies won't be made again in a long time, but Disney simply leaves me no choice :(

EDIT: Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh on Disney. I'm not sure how it usually works. Is it film studios that decides at which countries their movie will be shown (and they contact the theaters there) or are these movie theaters who makes the first step and contacts the film studios? Because now that I over thought it with less rage, it seems more logical that movie theaters are responsible for contacting the film studio. In this case I'm seriously going to HtH with some local movie theaters.

1337mokro:
This movie will be released.... in about 2 months.

It is ALMOST like the movie industry doesn't WANT me to buy tickets. In an age where data can be transferred at the speed of light why would I wait for it to finally reach theaters when a shady looking website is offering me the same movie, at a slightly reduced quality, right now.

If I wait two months I will probably forget the movie for another one playing at that time or maybe everyday life will be so hectic I don't have any time. I mean honestly take a good long look at yourself movie industry. Why does traditional cinema still exist?

I have a TV the size of a wall and a sound system that will make you deaf. Why do I need to wait 2 months for a movie that someone else is offering me free of charge (after they illegally videotaped it in Russia). Could I maybe stream it in a few weeks and not wait 4 months before it is finally stream-able?

No? You sure?

Guess you lost another sale then. I'll get around to watching it whenever. Maybe.

This behavior in the modern internet world puzzles me too. Back when you had to ship film prints this model made scene but today...it is the equvalent of driving a Model T down the Interstate.

Xisin:

GamemasterAnthony:
Actually, I think they ARE releasing a Fix-It Felix game...though I think it's as either an XBLA title or as DSiWare. I'm not sure which, though...

BTW, you never told us: Do either Tron or Kingdom Hearts make an appearance?

CAPTCHA: this is not fake

I don't believe you. Sorry.

Here's the answer:

I really adored this movie. My husband and I both pulled our version of an all nighter so we could see it before work. Was worth the missed sleep.

*snerk* Oh god...I can totally see that...

Aiddon:
good times; it's kinda weird how Pixar has one of the least good animated movies this year

Also, regarding Calhoun's indictment of how female characters are written in games, it would also help if gamers stopped thinking that it's the ONLY way to write women. Seriously, you've seen one female character in a game you've seen nearly all of them (or at least by Western writing standards).

Er, the non-Westerns are as bad, and at times worse; they do it differently, but no less stereotypically and badly, just within their own molds. A lot of these female character freakout sessions are because of Japanese stereotypes and views, in case you've forgotten, and it's no stretch to say that Japan is a contender for the most female-unfriendly views of the entire "civilized" world.

Which in no way excuses the many blunders of The United States, or any other "civilized" (I can't say that in any way but with quotation marks, sorry) nation; the point is that all of them screw it up.

ROBO_LEADER:
Just saw it. Good, but not really "great" movie with an INCREDIBLE short film at the start. Seriously, Disney almost could have charged $10 for that alone.

Thank you! I'm surprised Bob didn't mention it.

Before Wreck-It Ralph there's this absolutely beautiful and charming short film called "Paperman". Expect to see it at the very least nominated at the Oscars for best animated short. It was incredible to the point of overshadowing the movie, IMO. Wreck-It Ralph was just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

And that said, the movie itself was quite good, though I'm really shocked how nearly 50% of the film takes place in pretty much "Candyland" and trades video game references in for candy jokes. Literally about half the film is shout-outs to Oreos, Nesquick, Mentos, Laffy Taffy, and other brand-name candies.

Still, the movie nearly made me tear up THREE times (two involved Vanellope), Ralph is one of those big lovable lugs that is going to proudly stand next to Shrek and Sully for years to come, and Sergeant Calhoun is possibly the best character in the film.

For the record, this is a film that's going to THRIVE on DVD and Blu-Ray. So much happens that you're going to miss all the little easter-eggs in the background ("Aeris Lives!" Princess Daisy chillin' with Chun-li! etc.) It practically demands you freeze-frame certain scenes.

I'm pretty sure there's even a very blatant parody of the awful The 3rd Birthday wedding in there that made me laugh at how "tragic" it was programmed to be.

It's a good film with a few minor flaws (SO much product placement and the half-way mark sort of abandons the video game worlds and shout-outs in favor of candy references). You'll have a good time though, and the movie does get the characters very much right.

Dr. Steve Brule is the main hero? I will definitely see this now.

This movie is absolutely sublime. Just like Bob said, all the references are a treat for those who understand them, but the movie doesn't rely on them and stands on its own well enough for every viewer to enjoy it.

emeraldrafael:
because disney just shelled out $4B to ensure we hve three MORE star wars films to bitch about.

...what does that have anything to do with Wreck-It Ralph?

Wrong thread, mi amigo.

OT: My roommates and I are going to see it tonight. Glad to see that MovieBob liked it.

Can't wait.

Just saw it. Not a bad movie. but a bit too cuddly/kid friendly for my taste. Maybe it was all the endless pink which i was not expecting.

JeanLuc761:
Hang on a sec, what's with this prevailing idea that "Hero's Duty" is a Gears of War knock-off? To me, it appears to be a direct knock-off of Starcraft, with Jude Lynch playing a character very similar to Nova. Hell, the armor is almost directly out of Starcraft, and the Cyberbugs are definitely Zerg-like.

Great movie though, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

It was a lot closer to Starcraft than Gears, but if he admitted that he would have less to complain about :P

Seriously, there in the end [spoiler] when there's the big action scene, I wanted him to declare "I'm gonna wreck it!" before going on his Heroic quest to save the universe.

In all honesty, there were a couple sequences in the movie where I started to tear up, like when he ends up in the classic hero conundrum of good of the many vs. few, and when he's stating the Baddie's Anonymous pledge right before saving the day.

All in all, great great movie.

uchytjes:

Also:

Gotta say, I really enjoyed this movie. And it wasn't because of the cameos. (Although they did help) As you have said Bob, the characters were well developed and the the overall story was really good.

Also, I have to agree with the comparison to The Nightmare Before Christmas. They do sorta have a similar plot structure.

ROBO_LEADER:

Definitely agree. It almost seemed like a seamless mixture of both traditional hand drawn animation with CGI. It was really good. Made me feel all warm inside. :3

Bob actually made me want to watch this. Cheers.

Z of the Na'vi:

emeraldrafael:
because disney just shelled out $4B to ensure we hve three MORE star wars films to bitch about.

...what does that have anything to do with Wreck-It Ralph?

Wrong thread, mi amigo.

OT: My roommates and I are going to see it tonight. Glad to see that MovieBob liked it.

Can't wait.

its meant to answer his hypothetical question at the end.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here