Zero Punctuation: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Odd how he tosses in the occasional WH40K item or figure considering he did a whole Extra Punctuation on how he thinks the setting is rubbish. In this case Space Marine Plasma Pistols on the little guys.

Sonicron:
I saw it! I fucking saw it! He keeps scoffing at Warhammer 40.000 (and, in all fairness, it amuses me greatly), but that weapon the baby imps were holding was a W40k plasma rifle! xD

At least once, the Halo rocket launcher has appeared in a video as a stock rocket launcher. I don't think he gives any shits.

*Watches credits*

That kind of thing has happened to me in the older Fallout games more often than I'd like to admit. :/

But yeah, this game does look fun. Perhaps I'll go and buy it later on.

That's it. I really have to play it now. I was excited for it before, but if even Yahtzee couldn't find something bad to say about the game it must be a masterpiece.

Well, I sort of figured he'd enjoy it, but I thought he'd take the piss out of how buggy it can be a little bit more. Still, I'm glad I picked it up: it's definitely an enjoyable title. I didn't need to hear Yahtzee's approval to validate the opinion or anything, but I'll take it anyway.

SonOfMethuselah:
Well, I sort of figured he'd enjoy it, but I thought he'd take the piss out of how buggy it can be a little bit more. Still, I'm glad I picked it up: it's definitely an enjoyable title. I didn't need to hear Yahtzee's approval to validate the opinion or anything, but I'll take it anyway.

guess he got the PC version after a few patches.

Yes, Plasma rifles are excellent for blood transfusions.

They efficiently and effectively transfer blood from your enemy to the wall right behind them.

Boom!

A joke.

satellite party! OH YEAH!

Elmoth:
Why does it say Assassin's Creed III under the video?

Because Assassins Creed III came out this week and Yathzee is not a mage, who can crap out reviews on a daily basis. Next week.
Besides, he playes XCOM. You should be surprised that he even had time for a video this week.

Talking about it, it was surprisingly positive. Expected him hammer a bit more on the glitches and the fact that it's an strategy game also made me not see him love him the game that much. After playing it myself (and literally finish my first playthrough a few minutes ago. Only on normal - bite me, first time I play! Classic next.), I knew he would recommend the game and say it's an improvement over the original...

I was going to question the distinct lack of commentary on the hilariously skewed inter-mission die rolls, but then I saw the cute little picture sequence at the end.

Seriously. Fuck the RNG in this game.
I have to study Chaos Theory and I'm calling bullshit on it.
Statistically, there is a chance to miss five 70%+ shots in a row. But when it happens to me on EVERY OTHER MISSION, I'm inclined to think that it's just dicking me in the ear.

So in other words he liked it lol. I wonder if he plans on reviewing WoW Kung Fu Panda anytime soon?

Is that video he was alluding to actually available?

Also yeah, randomness and strategy can be a very frustrating mix.

The four panel sketch at the end was hilarious!

Atmos Duality:
I was going to question the distinct lack of commentary on the hilariously skewed inter-mission die rolls, but then I saw the cute little picture sequence at the end.

Statistically, there is a chance to miss five 70%+ shots in a row. But when it happens to me on EVERY OTHER MISSION, I'm inclined to think that it's just dicking me in the ear.

RNG got decompiled by someone as it's mostly just UE scripts and it isn't skewed at all. It's not the most robust rng but for what it does it's fine and the distribution is pretty much as expected.

Yay yahtzee said the original x com had a shitty interface I thought I was the only person in the world who thought that.

Anyone wanna bet that Yahtzee will put this on his top 5 best games at the end of the year?

the way he described it reminded me of Portal 2.

I just imagined Yahtzee jumping with glee and yelling "BOOM, HEADSHOT!" in excitement at his strategic accomplishment.

Dang it, I already bought two games this year...*counts on fingers* oh no! I've already bought THREE games this year! I want X-Com but I have no money. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAGH

But seriously I've been trying to buy this since it came out I'm just having a hard time finding a PS3 copy and Yahtzee's positive review doesn't make me feel any better.

i think I'd brag about that kinda out side the box thinking to if I'd pulled something like that off.

and yes, i am, surprised he seemed to like it, since it fits the 'space marine' themeing he likes to rag on

As an XCOM diehard I refused to play any mode except classic ironman. It took me maybe 22 game restarts to beat it.

I tried impossible ironman but after ~40 games of failing to make it past mission 3 without a wipe I gave up and started saving before missions.

I would love to see someone's play of impossible ironman and see exactly what tactics they used to get through it, and how they survived failing missions like I survived failing 3-4 missions in my classic playthrough.

X-COM is best time sink.

I should add we're on a break right now, but we'll be picking it up again soon enough. I've currently clocked about 34 Steam Hours into it, and many more will probably get sunk in.

The only real problem I have is with a few glitches that need to be patched out. The Berzerker (and only the Berzerker) for some reason tears my game a new one every time he moves, and we're still getting crashes at odd points.

OhJohnNo:

Sonicron:
I saw it! I fucking saw it! He keeps scoffing at Warhammer 40.000 (and, in all fairness, it amuses me greatly), but that weapon the baby imps were holding was a W40k plasma rifle! xD

At least once, the Halo rocket launcher has appeared in a video as a stock rocket launcher. I don't think he gives any shits.

Oh dear, another one.
Let me refer you to post #28.

Sonicron:

OhJohnNo:

Sonicron:

Oh dear, another one.
Let me refer you to post #28.

Dunno why you quoted me, I was providing evidence in support of your point. Ah well.

OhJohnNo:
Dunno why you quoted me, I was providing evidence in support of your point. Ah well.

*re-reads*

... because, apparently, my grasp of syntax is horribly off tonight. Boy, do I feel like a doofus.
Sorry, mate. :\

I wish he said something about the ending. ><

Atmos Duality:

Were you savescumming between turns by any chance? Because the rng generates a big ol' string of numbers at the start of the mission and just uses them sequentially. Therefore, if you try the same shot 5 times by reloading, the outcome will always be the same. ames like fire emblem do this as well, if I remember right.

Libra:
Loving the positive vibes. And the "Nigeria has withdrawn support" slide had me laughing for the rest of the video

Did anyone bother saving that country?

Sonicron:

OhJohnNo:

*re-reads*

... because, apparently, my grasp of syntax is horribly off tonight. Boy, do I feel like a doofus.
Sorry, mate. :\

Apology not needed, but accepted anyway.

The point is that we can both agree Yahtzee is a lazy-ass google searcher. :p

Wow, I'm sort of shocked he liked it given how he normally feels about strategy games. I mean I know I loved it and have been having some fun modding it, but still... I didn't expect him to like it.

The Gentleman:
Remember: the save button is your friend...

One... more... turn...

Nah. Things like that is why you play Ironman. Makes things more interesting.

The Gentleman:

Real men play only the ironman mode.

OhJohnNo:
Apology not needed, but accepted anyway.

The point is that we can both agree Yahtzee is a lazy-ass google searcher. :p

Indeed we can.
Still, it's laziness in the name of free interwebz entertainment, so I think we can let it slide. xD

This was my favorite reviews of all time. First: I'm loving this game and i'm rather addicted.
Second: The news at the end is the best news i've had all day :D I will be running to the book store in about 30 minutes!

Third: About the whole losing your best troops and having to restart. FROM EXPERIENCE i promise thats...only...kinda true ._. I had a mission where i lost all but two off my best men, i had nothing but recruits left after that. The key to my survival?

Snipers. Keep those bastards alive and trained at all costs! I managed to get through the next two UFO missions by luring out the aliens with my recruits and having my snipers pick them off from safety using a perk that allowed them to have infinite range so long as a fellow soldier had line of sight.

Snipers are the key. On the downside, everytime that happens you're almost garenteed to lose atleast one nation. I had an even worse situation where i only got out with one heavy alive, i truely have no clue how i managed to salvedge that.
-Side note: I've been playing on ironman mode since game one, so having to deal with losing my whole squad was more of a forced choice. BUT I DID IT :D

Lykosia:

The Gentleman:

Real men play only the ironman mode.

Actually, people already experienced in XCOM games. Real men without play once in Normal or Classic without Ironman first to learn the rules of the game first.

Ragnarok2kx:

Were you savescumming between turns by any chance? Because the rng generates a big ol' string of numbers at the start of the mission and just uses them sequentially. Therefore, if you try the same shot 5 times by reloading, the outcome will always be the same. ames like fire emblem do this as well, if I remember right.

No. Not by turns. I make one main save and one Interim Save in case I have to leave the game for whatever reason. I don't do step-by step saves.

And the RNG for Fire Emblem isn't the same between games. Some of them have their random seeding "stepped" by turns, others by frame/action.

Tallim:

RNG got decompiled by someone as it's mostly just UE scripts and it isn't skewed at all. It's not the most robust rng but for what it does it's fine and the distribution is pretty much as expected.

I'm just exceptionally fucking unlucky then, because it seems as though nothing short of full-cover does anything noticeable for my evasion, while I frequently miss targets out in the open.

I stopped playing after the fourth consecutive mission where I watched five of my soldiers miss reaction fire against the same target in a row (out in the open). Fucking ludicrous.

Captcha: Third time in a row that I've had to enter this same captcha. Good job. Really keeping those bots honest. Fucking waste of time...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here