Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Review

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Review

A complex but accessible journey to power in a shattered fantasy realm.

Read Full Article

Sounds excellent.

You also have to admire Stardock's customer service, they gave everyone who bought the original iteration of the game a free copy and a email from Brad Wardell , the CEO of Stardock himself.

Stardock definitely deserves big props for giving this thing free to anyone who bought War of Magic. I never played that game, but Fallen Enchantress certainly seems like it would be a more-than-adequate apology no matter how awful it was. It's not Europa Universalis deep but it's enough to give you a real "I'm a strategy gamer!" feeling, and being able to rule your kingdom as a "lead from the front" warlord is a fun twist.

I love the idea of this game. I'm hoping I can create my own warring factions instead of just one I control and customizing their unit looks and types. With some luck - or mods - this might be perfect for me.

Cenobite85:
I love the idea of this game. I'm hoping I can create my own warring factions instead of just one I control and customizing their unit looks and types. With some luck - or mods - this might be perfect for me.

Your custom empires and leaders can be played against in the game. Just make a bunch of them and manually pick them as your enemies when setting up a game.

Looks interesting. Definitely gonna try this next paycheck I get.

This game is absolutely fabulous. Now if I could just do without sleep...

Jandau:

Cenobite85:

Your custom empires and leaders can be played against in the game. Just make a bunch of them and manually pick them as your enemies when setting up a game.

Ok, that may have sold me.

Injuries to champions can be healed (such as the sprained ankle mentioned in the review). It requires a Potion of Restoration, which is either gained from a low-level quest or can be bought in some friendly territories and iirc in your own territory once you've gotten your magic research high enough.

Incoming post of boasting like a douche(but not in all caps, since I'm not that much of a douche):

The Shadow World spell is my idea and I am uber hyped to see it in the game!

Zipa:
You also have to admire Stardock's customer service, they gave everyone who bought the original iteration of the game a free copy and a email from Brad Wardell , the CEO of Stardock himself.

Sadly, I think my spam filter caught that e-mail, but I find that to be absolutely outstanding. I knew I got a free copy because I bought Elemental, but I find it admirable when a company admits a mistake and goes the extra mile to make things right.

I am also thuroughly enjoying Fallen Enchantress. It is much improved over the original game, and I have been lost in it for about a week now. The AI is definately better. They are now close to on-par with the AI from GalCivII.

tsb247:

Zipa:

Sadly, I think my spam filter caught that e-mail, but I find that to be absolutely outstanding. I knew I got a free copy because I bought Elemental, but I find it admirable when a company admits a mistake and goes the extra mile to make things right.

I am also thuroughly enjoying Fallen Enchantress. It is much improved over the original game, and I have been lost in it for about a week now. The AI is definately better. They are now close to on-par with the AI from GalCivII.

Yeah I detect the work of Brad himself on the AI, usually the AIs he writes are always challenging and sometimes humorous.

Zipa:

tsb247:

Zipa:

Yeah I detect the work of Brad himself on the AI, usually the AIs he writes are always challenging and sometimes humorous.

The AI usually curb-stomps me on the higher difficulties, so I have been having to tweak it from time to time (ramp it down a notch), and sometimes restart my games. One time in particular, I got steam-rolled by a friendly AI that decided I was simply in their way, and it all went down about 20 turns in! XD

Needless to say, it definately has that GalCivII flare, humor, and aggresion that I came to know and love from Stardock games.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here