Halo 4 Review

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Halo 4 Review

It's going to feel a little off with a new studio taking over the franchise, but Halo 4 balances that with a robust amount of content.

Read Full Article

And if we are only in it for the singleplayer story?

blink:
And if we are only in it for the singleplayer story?

In other reviews I have heard it's good, but if you read the books that is the only way to get the most out of it.

Disappointed to hear about the music not coming off as fitting, and the handling of the Idiot ball and cipher characters, but it sounds very nice overall, and the Spartans Ops looks like barrels of fun with my friends.

Wow. Its out for review already?

I guess my roommate's xbox is going to get some use pretty soon.

mysecondlife:
Wow. Its out for review already?

I guess my roommate's xbox is going to get some use pretty soon.

Yeah a lot of reviews have flown out, you can see some here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Halo-Fans

*blantant advertising of group.*

The Fonsz:
Typical of the escapist to hate Halo and attack every little flaw in the game. Your getting payed by Activision to say cod is better. You guys give dishonored and assassins creed better scores and every other review site gives Halo is better than both.

The Escapist reviews are crap, and the only thing that runs this site is zero and jim the rest of you guys should resign.

Oh boy... Here we go...

Also how is 4/5 bad?

Its just the fact that there was not one noteworthy compliment to Halo 4 IMO. He said the soundtrack is bad and I have listened to it on Itunes and it is nice soundtrack, probably one of the best in 2012 not as good as guild wars 2.

Korten12:

The Fonsz:
Typical of the escapist to hate Halo and attack every little flaw in the game. Your getting payed by Activision to say cod is better. You guys give dishonored and assassins creed better scores and every other review site gives Halo is better than both.

The Escapist reviews are crap, and the only thing that runs this site is zero and jim the rest of you guys should resign.

Oh boy... Here we go...

Also how is 4/5 bad?

Yay, representation!

That comment of his made me die a little on the inside.

Sounds about right. From all those I've come across who played the leaked copy says the same, the story is un-impressive and music lack lustre. I believe I'll wait for it to drop in price.

Prometheans...bahahahaha. Stay uninspired video games. Personally I'm not even going to wait for a price drop. So passes Halo, a cornerstone of my adolescence.

luvd1:
Sounds about right. From all those I've come across who played the leaked copy says the same, the story is un-impressive and music lack lustre. I believe I'll wait for it to drop in price.

i would agrue the story is what you make of it
espiclly since there are a few games, books, comic books and other materials that predate this thing, but whatever.

luvd1:

The story is debatable from what I gather, if you have read the books most people say it's great, but if you haven't it comes off as lacking.

Hmm. I'm probably going to get it because reviews around the board have been quite positive. Also, everyone is so pessimistic. 4/5? That's a great score! I'd lay down first day prices for that score!

I'm also very angry and stressed and working a lot of hours for these games next month so damn, I better get it.

I would so jump on this game if they ever released it on PC, that Forge World feature alone would be worth the price. If there is one thing that I love about PC gaming is how some developers support modding and player created content. Being able to create custom maps has kept me playing games long after their release (I'm looking at you Crysis).

I am excited for this game and I haven't played a Halo game since it was on the original Xbox, but from what I have seen and read about it...it looks awesome.

This is sad, but ultimately what I expected, Promethean weapons especially being unnecessary.
I would've preferred a separate multiplayer review as well, as that is what interests me most.

One small correction, it's Valhalla that's been resurrected as Ragnarok.

The story is actually pretty damn excellent if you've read the books from what I've heard.
I'm happy they're rewarding people for reading the books, especially after the massive Fuck You that was Halo: Reach.

Also, why are people acting like this is a negative review? 4/5 is good! The comments about the story aren't very accurate from what I've heard, but still!

So from what I've got from this, a lot of the characters aren't that great...but Chief and Cortana are...screw it, I'll take that. They're the ones who really matter, so the story is good where it counts. Besides, 343 said that really wanted to focus on Chief's character, and according to this review they succeeded...Master Chief has a character now, and according to this review it's GOOD! I'm actually a little excited.

Shocksplicer:
The story is actually pretty damn excellent if you've read the books from what I've heard.
I'm happy they're rewarding people for reading the books, especially after the massive Fuck You that was Halo: Reach.

I haven't read the books, where does that leave me then?

Oh look, people are getting disappointed it was only 4/5.

Personally, this is what I expected and wanted. Probably gonna get the game when able.

Shocksplicer:

If I read the plot summaries of the books will that do? Also I liked Reach, so if people thought that Reach was bad and 4 was good, then hopefully 4 will blow me out of the park

JokerboyJordan:

Shocksplicer:

I haven't read the books, where does that leave me then?

Rather confused and underwhelmed I should imagine. The books are pretty good though, so it isn't exactly too much of a suffering to read them.

Well, that's kind of a bummer. I feel like Halo 3 really would have been better off without an open ending.

erttheking:

Shocksplicer:

If I read the plot summaries of the books will that do? Also I liked Reach, so if people thought that Reach was bad and 4 was good, then hopefully 4 will blow me out of the park

Umm, summaries would help I guess, but you'd be better off reading them.

Also, the reason I and many like myself hate Reach is because it violated the canon established in the book in like 8 different ways for no good reason. Stuff like how Spartan 3s work and the fall of Reach happened in the books were tossed out the window and replaced with stuff that was no way near as good.

As far as I'm concerned Reach is non-canon, and so long as Halo 4 doesn't follow on from how things were handled in Reach that is actually possible.

The way that multiplayer seems to work and how it has its own cutscenes etc makes me wonder if there's a way to enjoy it offline...Are there bot matches or, am I screwed if I want to look around on that second disc without subscribing to XBLG?

Either way, I'll be waiting for this one to drop to $20 or so.

Shocksplicer:

erttheking:

Shocksplicer:

Also, the reason I and many like myself hate Reach is because it violated the canon established in the book in like 8 different ways for no good reason. Stuff like how Spartan 3s work and the fall of Reach happened in the books were tossed out the window and replaced with stuff that was no way near as good.

As far as I'm concerned Reach is non-canon, and so long as Halo 4 doesn't follow on from how things were handled in Reach that is actually possible.

Well I don't really feel like buying three different books and grinding through them in less than a week. I'll just read the plot summaries, that should at least give me a gist of what's going on. I will watch Forward onto Dawn though. I hear it's surprisingly good.

erttheking:

Shocksplicer:

erttheking:

Well I don't really feel like buying three different books and grinding through them in less than a week. I'll just read the plot summaries, that should at least give me a gist of what's going on. I will watch Forward onto Dawn though. I hear it's surprisingly good.

That's fair enough. You'd probably have to read more than three anyway, because most of the books lead on from a previous one in one way or another, apart from the Forerunner stuff. In order to get the whole picture you'd probably have to read the Forerunner stuff, and the Kilo-Five stuff, which leads on from the other standalone stuff...

Basically what I'm saying is you'd have a lot of reading to do :P

Also, I just realised I probably know far more about Halo than I should.
I'm really not that big of a fanboy, I swear...

Shocksplicer:

That's fair enough. You'd probably have to read more than three anyway, because most of the books lead on from a previous one in one way or another, apart from the Forerunner stuff. In order to get the whole picture you'd probably have to read the Forerunner stuff, and the Kilo-Five stuff, which leads on from the other standalone stuff...

EMBRACE THE HALO UNIVERSE, JOIN US! XD Yeah I know a shit ton of Halo stuff as well, and can bring up even more obscure facts off the top of my head.

Like how Chakas was actually Homo Sapiens where as Riser and everyone also were older forms of Humans.

Just to name one.

You shouldn't have to read any book.

Thanks justin, it's good to read unbiased reviews. While 4/5 is a great score, I wanted to know the flaws too. So many reviews are "its halo so it's amazing" without saying why it is, and then completely ignorning any flaws whatsoever. Now Thanks to you I know it's a great game but won't live up to all these perfect reviews that Xbox magazines have been giving it.

Thanks again Justin keep up the good work!

m19:
You shouldn't have to read any book.

Thing is though, Halo is a franchise, not just a game series, like someone also said on this forum, 343i is essentially Halo's LucasArts. Halo has too big of a universe to ignore it, and 343i knows that.

You can understand the story fine without reading, but many references will go over your head.

And.... 10k POSTS!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

This does look like an interesting game and might be fun for those inclined but honestly I can't say I'm thrilled. I mentioned the Elites not being in multiplayer and I admit that's not really my problem with it (I'm over it, have accepted that there are worse things that can happen and I'm starting to move on) it's just that everything about Halo 4 (With the exception of the aforementioned sexism thing which should have been implemented years ago I think) feels like it's moving away from what I liked about it. Where's the colourful visuals and the humorous self aware one liners? Where's the epic music? Where are the funny and very humanized aliens? Where are the clear parellels to mythology and religion and historic events? Where is everything that I loved in this franchise?

I see bits and pieces of it every now and then but I just don't feel the attachment that I used to. You never know, a friend of mine is inexplicibly getting two Halo 4 copies so I'll probably get one, might play it and see if it is any good. I might be wrong but I still express my paranoia.

Korten12:

Shocksplicer:

EMBRACE THE HALO UNIVERSE, JOIN US! XD Yeah I know a shit ton of Halo stuff as well, and can bring up even more obscure facts off the top of my head.

Like how Chakas was actually Homo Sapiens where as Riser and everyone also were older forms of Humans.

Just to name one.

Y'know, I suppose I probably am, I just never really considered myself a fanboy. But since I've played every game (Except 4, obviously) and read more than half of the books, (and with Uni holidays coming I'll probably read the rest) I guess I am pretty big into Halo. I am buying 4 ENTIRELY because I like the universe after all...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here