Miracle of Sound: Distant Honor (Dishonored)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Distant Honor (Dishonored)

And a distant honor calls me to your side.

Watch Video

A little upbeat for Dishonored don't you think?

DVS BSTrD:

No, I don't. It is exactly the mood I wanted it to be.

Such a great atmosphere to the song. I haven't played the game myself due to monetary reasons, but this make me want to buy it even more. They should really get you to compose songs for trailers or something because this was simply amazing.
It was a really cool idea to use the tune from "Drunken Sailor" at the end. And you were right about the video. It fits the song extremely well.
Another instant classic from you. Well done Gavin :)

Awesome song! I feel very spoiled this week.

MiracleOfSound:

DVS BSTrD:

Yeah but it doesn't feel like the mood of the game.

Loved it, I haven't played the game so I don't know if it fits the game or not but the chorus is ultra catchy! :D

The song is good, as always, but I still don't know enough about Dishonoured to properly comment.

It's bizarre. I've seen trailers, reviews, even a snippet of gameplay thanks to Rooster Teeth's 'Things To Do In' series, but nothing I've seen has told me enough about the game to properly capture my interest.

DVS BSTrD:

MiracleOfSound:

DVS BSTrD:

Correction: It doesn't feel like your interpretation of the mood of the game.

Here's a page that may help you understand this difficult concept:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/subjectivity

It is also neither my intent or job to always try to re-create the game's mood. I take aspects I enjoy and make something new.

CounterAttack:
The song is good, as always, but I still don't know enough about Dishonoured to properly comment.

It's bizarre. I've seen trailers, reviews, even a snippet of gameplay thanks to Rooster Teeth's 'Things To Do In' series, but nothing I've seen has told me enough about the game to properly capture my interest.

It's a fantastic game, I definitely recommend it :) Playing it feels, to me, like a mix between Deus Ex, Bioshock and Half Life 2

Just wondering Gav (or Justin could answer this): do you ever give Justin ideas about what the video should contain? Perhaps if there is some particular moment of the game you think should be lined up with some particular lyrics, or image to show your inspiration?

This song makes me want to rock out with my (nonexistent) cock out!

(That may or may not say more about me than I'd like. -_-')

I was gonna pop in with "inb4 'it doesn't fit the mood of the game'", but it seems I was a bit late :P

Great song. Hope to get Dishonored soon. I was going to get it, but I got XCOM instead. Because it was $10 cheaper and I'm a cheap bastard.

ritchards:
Just wondering Gav (or Justin could answer this): do you ever give Justin ideas about what the video should contain? Perhaps if there is some particular moment of the game you think should be lined up with some particular lyrics, or image to show your inspiration?

Every so often yes if there's a line or image I feel particularly strongly about including, and I will sometimes give a general outline on the parts of the story/game the song is based on. But generally the videos are up to Justin's interpretations :)

MiracleOfSound:
It's a fantastic game, I definitely recommend it :) Playing it feels, to me, like a mix between Deus Ex, Bioshock and Half Life 2

What, no Thief? :P

You're on a roll, Gav. Another absolute hit, this one. The verses fit the sneaky atmosphere, the kickass chorus echoes the determination driving Corvo onwards, and your reinterpretation of that iconic whaling shanty is the icing on the cake. Bravo! :D

You know, it's funny. Listening to this one the first time, I wasn't far from writing one of these "it doesn't fit the game" comments. But then I listened to the song a second time and began to think about it and realised that it's much more about Corvo's relationship to Emily. In parts it nearly feels like he is singing her to her sleep or trying to explain to her why he has to do bad things. And with that in mind, the song really becomes kind of haunting.

Avayu:
You know, it's funny. Listening to this one the first time, I wasn't far from writing one of these "it doesn't fit the game" comments. But then I listened to the song a second time and began to think about it and realised that it's much more about Corvo's relationship to Emily. In parts it nearly feels like he is singing her to her sleep or trying to explain to her why he has to do bad things. And with that in mind, the song really becomes kind of haunting.

Bingo! I like you.

MiracleOfSound:

I see... I didn't enjoy HL2 (didn't finish it either because of reasons) and Bioshock is definitely not my kind of series. So maybe Dishonoured isn't my kind of thing. *shrugs*

DVS BSTrD:

MiracleOfSound:

DVS BSTrD:

If anything mood should be relative to the level of chaos for this particular game. Looking at it that way one could create multiple songs for Dishonored with different moods interpreting the different perspectives the player is capable of experiencing. This song doesn't sound like its being tied to mood or chaos but is about the games story as a whole and that is up to his own interpretation of his experience.

I think he did a good job and there is nothing wrong with his song.

Excellent, as usual :)

I especially liked the hints of the "Drunken Sailor" song.

Great song, the video just felt a bit silly to me, surely you can do better than show a clip of something that fits whatever word is being sung right now?
It's the most basic kind of music video.

Oh he said pump, look, a pump!
Oh he said blink, look, he's blinking!
Oh he said void, look, the void!
Oh, he said piss, look, a guy pissing!

Eh, you get the point.

DVS BSTrD:

MiracleOfSound:

DVS BSTrD:

Every damn time... I swear, it's just trolling at this point. -_-

This song wasn't really for me, unfortunately. I love most of your work and I love Dishonored but this song isn't clicking for me I guess. I agree with the guy who said that it doesn't feel like it fits the tone of the game, but you're free to write your songs however you like and this one is just not for me I guess.

Keep up the great work Gav! I'm sure I'll like the next one more!

CounterAttack:

MiracleOfSound:

I see... I didn't enjoy HL2 (didn't finish it either because of reasons) and Bioshock is definitely not my kind of series. So maybe Dishonoured isn't my kind of thing. *shrugs*

The gameplay for the most part is not like either game. The atmosphere is definitely what is reminiscent of halflife and bioshock, as well as the fact that there are no cinematics. Some minor gameplay elements are inspired by bioshock- your runes and powers are basically like plasmids and the bone charms are like tonic slots, but other than that, the game plays a lot more like thief or deus ex than either bioshock or half life.

Jynthor:
Great song, the video just felt a bit silly to me, surely you can do better than show a clip of something that fits whatever word is being sung right now?

Eh, you get the point.

Depends a lot on the song and lyrics for me. Sometimes I will go off track if I think a narrative or theme in the video might add something special, other times I feel it would be visually distracting to be hearing one thing and seeing another.

For example, I had considered repeating the imagary with the chorus of always bringing it back to Emily, but I liked playing out the mini story of the cgi trailer better as it ramped into the climax.

Jynthor:

Eh, you get the point.

Wouldn't not doing that kind of make the a music video a bit pointless?

Yes, not all music viedos need to be a word for word visual translation of what's going on in the song, but in this case I'd say it's the better way to make a video.

I'm going to be honest here and say I was pretty disappointed with this.
I haven't played Dishonored myself, but I was expecting a darker song, kind of like the "Drunken Whaler" parts that were in this.
So yeah, if you would've done the entire song that way, I would have really liked it, but as it is now, I just kind of like it.

Also, I'd just like to tell you that: herpity derpity song doesn't fit game

soren7550:

I believe the phrase you want is "jam out with your clam out."

:)

MiracleOfSound:

Avayu:

Bingo! I like you.

Now I feel honoured.

I'm glad to hear that I didn't just project that into the song because I particularly enjoyed those parts of the story. The interactions between Emily and Corvo just kind of work, even without any words from him. It may just be that she was the only character written to be likeable in the whole game, but to me, especially while playing non-violently, it really felt like Corvo wasn't doing what he did for revenge, but to make sure Emily was safe and could live the life she deserved.

Slycne:

Jynthor:

Eh, you get the point.

Depends a lot on the song and lyrics for me. Sometimes I will go off track if I think a narrative or theme in the video might add something special, other times I feel it would be visually distracting to be hearing one thing and seeing another.

For example, I had considered repeating the imagary with the chorus of always bringing it back to Emily, but I liked playing out the mini story of the cgi trailer better as it ramped into the climax.

I also imagine only having a bit of CGI and gameplay which may or may not be suited for a video kind of makes it hard to make a great music video.

Anyway, apologies, I sounded a bit too much like a dick in my last post. *cough*

MiracleOfSound:

DVS BSTrD:

MiracleOfSound:

Correction: It doesn't feel like your interpretation of the mood of the game.

Here's a page that may help you understand this difficult concept:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/subjectivity

It is also neither my intent or job to always try to re-create the game's mood. I take aspects I enjoy and make something new.

Sheesh, everyone's a critic!

As for the mood-song thing, I think it's nice to experience someone else's interpretation of the mood of a game once in a while. Games are complex things, they can have a lot of moods.

I mean, Little Sister fits BioShock perfectly; slow, melodic, almost relaxing, and yet BioShock is a game about dashing around gun turrets and things with claws for hands leaping at you.

Anyway, loved the song, Mr. Of Sound, as always. They honestly brighten my week! Please keep 'em coming!

Avayu:
Now I feel honoured.

Heh.

OT: I feel like there's a bit of a clash between the more personal side of it and the big-rock-heavy-percussion side. Like it could've benefited from being a little more flexible going to each one rather than staying near the middle. But otherwise it's wonderful, and has a perfect feel.

Susan Arendt:

soren7550:

I believe the phrase you want is "jam out with your clam out."

:)

Hahaha, never heard that one before, but it does work!

Although that too still may or may not say more about me than I'd like.

This one was bound to get "it doesn't fit the game" comments wasn't it.

Anyway I liked it, but it just didn't click for me. The two bits where you emulated the drunken sailor tune was a nice touch though.

this i an Excellent song. i want to buy this song right now

MiracleOfSound:

Avayu:

Bingo! I like you.

well that would explain the the use of the word bad and sad in the song.

was there a song that you made that doesn't not have a person commenting on how it does not fit the game?
i got a feeling this question is awkwardly worded.

i have replayed this song about 20 times and that chours still blows me away i think this song is in the top 3 songs you have done, and because of this song i am going straight to my local game retailer and getting a copy of this game

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here