Jimquisition: In the Hall of the Mountain Dew

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Maybe if Deadspace 3 is sponsored by Pepsi and Stihl tools they'll only need 3 million sales instead of 5 million to keep the franchise going.

"Quick, pick up that durable Stihl power saw and make short work of the necromorph's forearm!"

babinro:
Maybe if Deadspace 3 is sponsored by Pepsi and Stihl tools they'll only need 3 million sales instead of 5 million to keep the franchise going.

"Quick, pick up that durable Stihl power saw and make short work of the necromorph's forearm!"

that's a sponsorship that actually makes sense, what do mountain dew, doritos, and seven eleven have to do with Halo 4 anyway?

Testify! Oh oh oh testify!

Hell yea, I'm glad someone is making a more visible slam about their greed; complainging that used games hurt them, that online hurts them, that a full priced game without day-one DLC hurts them. Fuck them.

This is why I stopped paying for the original xbox live the moment they started charging for DLC... yea, imagine that, all those xbox games had optional content that was free because you already sunk so much money into the system, game, and service. All without ads as well.

And I've talked to people on these forums who were DEFENDING them, actually saying that used games are bad for publishers. It's crazy how the younger gamers are unknowingly being turned into compliant little corporate drones who happily keep shell out money (or their parents' money) for everything.

ForgottenPr0digy:

Jimothy Sterling:

Jandau:
All this is well and good, but what I want to know is how does Jim know what hedgehog piss tastes like? :p

Hedgehogs can't hold it in when you're trying to suck their little hedgecocks.

are you raping sonic the hedgehog??

@back on topic

I like mountain dew but I don't have 7-11 where I live so I can't get any extra exp or be part of the halo 4 marketing stunt.

And here I thought he only sucked kirbycock!

OT: I just smile and shake my head at the adverts and I havent payed for XBL in a looong time

lord.jeff:
I agree with this episode and love it even though you seem to repeat the same points several times.

It just goes to show that this shit in the industry isn't getting fixed.

Benchmark game of the year? Greg Tito said the same thing about DA2 XD

Also for some reason, I have a sudden urge to go buy Doritos and Mountain Dew.

IIIIVE GONE BLIIIIND!

Zachary Amaranth:
Is it wrong that I want to hug Jim after that?

Nobody should have to suffer through Mountain Dew alone!

Their monetary concerns are kinda...Well, crap.

Aw come on! Mountain Dew isn't that bad.

Though, if Jim hates it that much I can't imagine him ever surviving an entire D&D session.

Great fucking episode.
It's like he read my mind, spat out my anger at me, and then convinced me that it was his idea... and I'm all for it. He needs to doppleganger his way into Riccitello's or Kotick's skin and turn those companies into a respectable business. Or perhaps make them cannibalize themselves.

~Also, Mountain Dew is gross, but I will stab the first guy to clown on my Doritos.

Buh! Advertising doesn't work on me! Could do with a snack though...

Those who have will always want more. A sad truth but there is little we can do unless there is a unprecedented backlash against this kind of thing.

Also I've never had Mountain Dew, I don't even think they sell it in this country. But if it is awful as it looked then the US can keep it

What's most bullshit about this entire thing is that, well;

I'm Australian, and we get done over with our game prices already. And, thanks to this shameful marketing, I would have to pay $100 for a game that's sponsored by a fucking energy drink!

Now, as mentioned earlier, I am also comfortable with advertising in games if it's done right. The billboards in Prototype advertising DC, whilst a little sketchy, are still understandable. I've been playing Alan Wake, and the advertising in that game, whilst a little obtuse, made sense. It made sense to have the torch made by Energizer and the phone by Verizon because it adds to the reality that the game is trying achieve in the attempt to scare you that much more. But if you're doing this sort of bullshit you better stop or cut the price right down. If Halo 4 is as sponsored as it is, Australians shouldn't have to pay $100 for it. They should pay, at most, $40.

So ya, if/when I ever get a job in the game industry, I'm gonna make a point of just finding a way to get videos like this onto the bosses desk every day. Seriously, this kind of business is just unacceptable.

Fappy:

Aw come on! Mountain Dew isn't that bad.

Though, if Jim hates it that much I can't imagine him ever surviving an entire D&D session.

Iactually like Mountain Dew.

Ahh...D&D...Where all my friends called it Orc Piss.

notfarg:
So ya, if/when I ever get a job in the game industry, I'm gonna make a point of just finding a way to get videos like this onto the bosses desk every day. Seriously, this kind of business is just unacceptable.

Good chance that'll get you fired. This isn't about them being unaware. It's about them not caring.

Zachary Amaranth:

notfarg:

Good chance that'll get you fired. This isn't about them being unaware. It's about them not caring.

Pah-hah!
They care a lot, big guy. They care about MONEY.

Show your boss this vid and he'll start conjuring new ways to rape the consumer with a paint-roller.

Zachary Amaranth:

I'm cool with that. Wouldn't want to continue to work at a place that doesn't let it's employees speak towards it's business practices anyway. And it'd be worth it to spread even the tiniest bit of dissent amongst the masses.

The question is "How do we know when a game company has indeed mastered the basics, or at least all of them?"

Really? Really? Three pages in and no one comments on the "In the hall of the Mountain King" reference?

You know that song is public domain right? Jim you could have used it in an epic "Gaming bullshit" montage.

Excellent episode, Jim. You're getting better and better at what you do and it's always incredibly entertaining.

OT: I think it's the consumers who created the illusion that high-budget games were respected by the industry as an art form, deserving of sanctity and intellectual respect. When Call of Duty can make more money than Hollywood movies and are viewed as money-makers, and Hollywood movies already have happy meal tie-ins and toys, this is no surprise. The upper echelons of EA and Activision started as heads of beauty stores, hedge fund financiers and the like. This is just another business to them that you run like any other business. We may become emotionally attached to the experiences, and continue to call them an art form, but to them the AAA titles will just be considered those boxes with the round discs that put their numbers in the black.

I think that's why even relatively "meh" indie titles can be beloved and supported, because we know that they're made with care and passion, because someone or a small group had a statement to make and that the money goes to continuing their dream of doing what they love to do and have a passion for. It's the biggest shame of "auteur" developers losing their connections with publishers like Kojima has with Konami now. It's where someone with a passion and love for the medium can get the high-level funding to create experiences beyond what the indie realm can do.

Oh, and I genuinely had an out-loud laugh at that "Nathan Drake Footlong picture". Please keep screwing around with MS Paint, because its glorious : )

I bought Uncharted 3 new and never even used the multiplayer. Disappointment from Uncharted 2 IMO.

psn is free unless you buy psn plus and you get free games and discounts off games or DLC. I wish XBL would do that but nooooooooo MS is too greedy

Well, Now we know what liquid to use for our Japanese Liquid Torture. Mountain Dew!
Occasionally even have it be more than a drop and more a long steam into his mouth.

Jim's right, in fact, he's incredibly right.

I don't think any successful game needs to push so much money grabbing out. But sometimes, the money grab is fun to be a part of if you happen to find some part of it that you'll be willing to pay cash for.

...But saying they "need" money is, like Jim said, pathetic...

Still... It makes me wonder. What if there was a game that parodied all the advertising stuff?

Maybe throughout the game, the disgruntled Protagonist will be stopped by some guy and told, "Hey, you mind advertising this stuff for us?" and then... yeah, muses about how big a sword he's going to buy with that money while his companions are sighing and saying "What's wrong with the one you have? It can already kill behemoths in one swing!" to which the protagonist just grins, with a look like a kid on Christmas... possibly staring at some impossibly cool weapon.

...yeah... my mind is weird.

Jim hits the nail on the head! It's always the AAAs acting the poor man while the little guys are ofthen the worse off. Thats why I have zero problem buying DLC for more niche games like CAVE shmups.

But what really pisses me off is how much MS and Sony rape smaller devs with QA charges and the gamer picture / avatar racket on 360.

Charging for patching is the worst (MS / Song charging 40k each with Ninty 10k for the wii) since those free patches get used up just after the launch to fix major bugs asap, but minor bugs or the need to have ongoing ballancing patches for cometative games is often ignored, and since many games are multiplatform thats alot of money for a single patch.

Skullgirls is the worst i've seen, been a highly competative fighter it needs constant patches, but because the devs can't afford 80k a pop they keep on delaying it while they try to fix everything in one go, but because of this ppl have stopped playing until the patch is launched. A PC version is planned the one platform where patching is free, but the sickening thing is that most likly the devs won't make use of it because of the need to keep all versions the same.

The game has some upcoming DLC characters, atleast they'll beable to patch the game with no extra cost, but no doubt they'll need another patch after that to ballance them in properlly.

Yeah fuck charging for patches ruining games especially indies

Microsoft is the last company that needs to make more money off the money they're already making. Anyway, I laughed everytime you said "at some point, games need to make money."

Also, Fun Fact: Mountain Dew is one of the most acidic soft drinks out there :)

DrunkOnEstus:
It's the biggest shame of "auteur" developers losing their connections with publishers like Kojima has with Konami now. It's where someone with a passion and love for the medium can get the high-level funding to create experiences beyond what the indie realm can do.

That sort of thing has a nasty habit of backfiring, unfortunately.

John Romero felt that Id Software was holding him back. He founded his own studio, Ion Storm, with the motto "Design is Law", and staffed it with some of the best developers you could find. He would finally be free to make the epic story-driven fantasy-FPS he had always wanted, and John Carmack could suck it down. Except that epic story-driven fantasy-FPS was was an overly-ambitious piece of shit despite its constant delays. While other Ion Storm teams released quality games like Deus Ex and the ill-fated Anachronox, the company folded a few years later.

Denis Dyack had similar beliefs. Though his company, Silicon Knights, had had great success under Nintendo's wing, he believed that they would only truly reach their potential by cutting ties in favour of a more hands-off publisher. Their track record was strong - Legacy of Kain, Eternal Darkness, Twin Snakes - and they attracted many-a-suitor. And then it turned out that with only Dyack at the helm, they couldn't make a game for shit. Product quality plummeted, money got pissed away on dead-end vanity projects, and the company now more closely resembles a rotting deer carcass on the side of an Ontario highway than the heavy-hitter it was only a console generation ago.

They won't ever admit that
You know why because some idiots still actually believe it
That's free good publicity from their crowds of mindless drones

I appreciate Jim's stance.

So...how long do we have before the Kill-Cam is brought to us by the good people at Sprite? What better way to refresh yourself while the barrels smoke and the dust settles?

How dare someone say something so blasphemous, So vile, So supportive of piracy, So hurting the poor developers, WHY wont someone think of the develo...... wait what?, Sterling said it? Why Absolutely Jim you are dead on the money, I have always thought this practice was reprehensible and game companies were being unreasonable looking at us like piggy banks. Thank God for you.

Yip, this thread, it has it.

Gearhead mk2:

Ashoten:
This is why I am a PC gamer and Steam is my friend.

Yeah, Steam isn't exactly immune either. But I don't think anyone here is going to listen to my argument. I dared to suggest that Steam wasn't the second coming of Christ, so I'll most likely get burned to a crisp now.

I never buy the hats or any stuff like that. I just really like to abundance of cheap indie games and regular sales they have. No waiting in line at game stop and I don't have to pay full retail if I'm wiling to wait for a game to go on sale.

How pissed would you have been if that Uncharted Subway commercial hadn't been a commercial at all but integrated into the actual game?

I noticed something was up when I ordered pizza last weekend.... The Mountain Dew Bottle had the Halo4 logo up at the top part of the label. I wouldn't even had noticed it if it weren't for my bf pointing it out. GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

Loved the writting on this one - especially the comedic repetition of the quote :)

I think while Steam does similar things, it by no means actively screws you over when you pay them, besides the connectivity setup which so far does not feel like torture or costs me extra money to use, or puts ads for things other than the games they are already selling.

I'm not spending extra, and they always have sales, which is great and optional and I am not charged anything for looking or having an account.

The Crotch:
Snip

Oh I won't deny that it's certainly a double edged sword. While the process gave us MGS, Killer 7 & No More Heroes, Fable (that's...probably in the middle of this discussion), Resident Evil, Zone of the Enders...you get my drift. But the FPS-that-must-not-be-named you mentioned above is enough to counteract all that : )

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here