The Big Picture: Skin Deeper

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Skin Deeper

MovieBob gives us the facts when it comes to the racial implications of Cloud Atlas.

Watch Video

Just so long as the film creators don't try to pull an about-face.

well, at the very least it wasn't as stupid as Sucker Punch's misguided attempts to be intelligent.

I'm surprised you didn't bring up the Mandarin when you were talking about "yellowface" racial acting. Hell, just us responding to that article had an interesting conversation on how to adapt the character to the modern hair-trigger racial response...

I'm getting what you're trying to say, but one has to ask the question: why was the context ignored in the first place?

...?

Apparently I've missed all this coal-raking. I've heard nothing but good things about the film, and went to see it on those good things, and loved it.

Who's saying bad things about the film? I want to go tell those people why they're wrong.

theSteamSupported:
I'm getting what you're trying to say, but one has to ask the question: why was the context ignored in the first place?

It was ignored by stupid people. ;) There's your reason.

Ah, context, the thing that almost everyone ignores when starting an argument over something. Reminds me of the time when that thing happened with that guy that said something and then the other guy said half of what the guy said and it meant something totally different that really riled up a lot of other guys and they got the guy that said the thing to try to explain what he said but every time he tried the other guy and the guys kept saying he said the other thing and he was just trying to cover up even though they know he said the other thing as well but they don't care since that only one thing makes the guy look bad and the other guy look good and they like the other guy more.

So, basically everything ever.

So Bob since the past is unchangeable and that historical stigma and blackface will always be around in the past, isn't those double standard justifications going to be eternal?

Seriously how would we know when we can drop the double standard altogether? I really want to know.

The answer's probably going to be more non-white roles but roughly how many do we need?

Funny you should choose this particular topic 'cause I was just thinking about how ridiculous all these race issues have gotten. It seems to be that creative people need to walk on eggshells and broken glass for fear of being accused of being racist, sexist, or whatever. Heaven forbid these groups have to endure the same criticism and cultural commentary that everyone else does. And by "everyone" I mean the white heterosexual anglosaxon male because it seems that anyone who doesn't fit that description is some sort of minority and therefore immune to criticism and/or cultural commentary . ___
And since I, myself, am a white heterosexual male, I'm sure someone's going to accuse me of being racist or sexist or whatever just for pointing that out.

I've had the same problem as a fanfictionist...where people have made basal accusations about my stories because they ignored the context. I've actually had one person accuse me of being a pedo in regards to Amy Rose when my character acted as a father figure and/or big brother to her.

CONTEXT, people!

The Gentleman:
I'm surprised you didn't bring up the Mandarin when you were talking about "yellowface" racial acting. Hell, just us responding to that article had an interesting conversation on how to adapt the character to the modern hair-trigger racial response...

Forget the Mandarin dude! We have NICOLAS CAGE playing a "wise" Chinese man in what's supposed to be the biggest movies ever, imagine how that will get people pissed? Ok the movie is called Werewolf Women of the SS (by Rob Zombie) hahaha, Nicolas Cage as that wise china dude looks so damn fun!!!

theSteamSupported:

Because it is a trend lately to look for any lil reason to be offended.

Bara_no_Hime:
...?

Apparently I've missed all this coal-raking. I've heard nothing but good things about the film, and went to see it on those good things, and loved it.

Who's saying bad things about the film? I want to go tell those people why they're wrong.

Ditto, this is the first I have heard of bad things from the film.

One of the "race of cast choice" I got really annoyed about was the whining about the guy who played Goku in the DBZ movie. Yes the movie was pretty much shit from start to end, except for Piccolo make up, but why people whined about Goku being played by an American dude I had no idea.
Listen up people, DBZ is set in the future, there are only a few major cities so the races would be very mixed by this time and BY THE WAY Goku was an ALIEN to begin with, so who knows how much he resembled what race mixture, just because the author of DBZ was a Japanese dude it doesn't mean the whole DBZ world was inhabited by only Asian people.
This got so much on my nerves...

I think the people who are complaining are the people who haven't seen the movie in the first place.

I may be wrong, maybe (most of) them have seen the movie, feel free to point me out on being wrong, but it does make sense though.

I'm kind of basing it on this one angry individual who posted a couple of links to a couple of other angry guys, and none of them have even seen the movie. I mean, the criticisms I saw would have been answered if they did know the context.

So, I guess that's why people miss the context in the first place.

To be fair I haven't seen anyone talking about this incidence in particular since the movie came out and people started to 'get' why they were all playing different races/genders.

unacomn:
Ah, context, the thing that almost everyone ignores when starting an argument over something. Reminds me of the time when that thing happened with that guy that said something and then the other guy said half of what the guy said and it meant something totally different that really riled up a lot of other guys and they got the guy that said the thing to try to explain what he said but every time he tried the other guy and the guys kept saying he said the other thing and he was just trying to cover up even though they know he said the other thing as well but they don't care since that only one thing makes the guy look bad and the other guy look good and they like the other guy more.

So, basically everything ever.

that is the most confusing analogy I have ever read. which guy is which in the which thing was the thing, and the guy that the thing that makes it true, and false...

now I need to try and contemplate which part of that I actually have issue, or agreeance with.

I do wonder if people ever link these video in those said argument? I mean this isn't the first time when he got it right in an arguement (e.g. that video on the whole The Dark Knight Rises attacked).

theSteamSupported:

Cause its not as fun keeping something in context, as it is bitching about it out of context.

canadamus_prime:
Funny you should choose this particular topic 'cause I was just thinking about how ridiculous all these race issues have gotten. It seems to be that creative people need to walk on eggshells and broken glass for fear of being accused of being racist, sexist, or whatever. Heaven forbid these groups have to endure the same criticism and cultural commentary that everyone else does. And by "everyone" I mean the white heterosexual anglosaxon male because it seems that anyone who doesn't fit that description is some sort of minority and therefore immune to criticism and/or cultural commentary . ___
And since I, myself, am a white heterosexual male, I'm sure someone's going to accuse me of being racist or sexist or whatever just for pointing that out.

That. THAT. THAT AGAIN. I fear saying my mind sometimes, simply because it could be considered racism (in Brazil you don't have to take a racist ACT to commit the crime, simply stating a racist comment would be enough). But it's funny how, when YOU accuse certain groups of something, or simply state a belief, no matter how stupid and unfounded, then they say it's merely their religion, and we're all human and then you get sued and maybe even arrested. But when it comes to THEIR opinion, they DO see themselves as a better RACE, and whenever some shit falls on them they attack with past traumas, past traumas that were horrible and are now the very basis of their international (shotgun)politics with the rest of the WORLD.

I really don't have a problem with any of the casting in Cloud Atlas, but then, I'm white. It does seem like the cross-racial, ensemble nature of the casting ought to have perked some ears that there was something unusual going on, though. Would it have been a better movie if the tyrannical future took place in some place more generic than Neo Seoul, rendering the cross-racial casting unnecessary? I really don't think so.

Argo brings up other questions in my mind, namely- is it better to have a movie not get made at all than to have non-white roles played by white actors? It feels like a movie whose action centers on 1970s Iran is a fairly hard sell, one made easier by Afleck's relatively positive reputation as an actor and director. I'm genuinely ambivalent on the question, in part because I'm not sure if "fighting the good fight" to change minds about the bankability of non-white actors in lead roles at every opportunity is likely to pay off or just result in a lot of promising movies never making it past the pitch.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Did you say its ok for a black person to play a white character, but not the other way round? Look Bob, no one gave a crap that the guy in Thor was played by a black actor, what annoyed them was that the character in the comic was white. These same fans would also complain if you made a Blade movie with a white guy playing Blade.

To be honest, if its original content then who cares what colour the actor is and whom they are playing. Have a black guy made up to look Chinese or a white guy made up to look black. A man in female make up. No one cares. Its just the PC crowd that jump on this stuff and paint it as a racial thing when its not and as usual its aimed more at the white people than other races.

Also as Bob seems to really love the Cloud Atlus movie im guessing the next few Big Pictures will be all about how amazing it is.

I'm not going to watch this one, now. I'm actually going to try to see the movie (supposing it ever comes to any of the theaters here, which it might not because it looks and sounds Indi-ish and nothing that sounds Indi-ish ever comes to theaters where I live (GODSDAMMIT!)) and I'd rather go into it with something of an ability to draw my own conclusions.

Sorry, Bob.

Moth_Monk:

theSteamSupported:

It was ignored by stupid people. ;) There's your reason.

What they said. Some people just completely miss the point...

Father Time:
So Bob since the past is unchangeable and that historical stigma and blackface will always be around, isn't those double standard justifications going to be eternal?

Seriously how would we know when we can drop the double standard altogether. I really want to know.

The answer's probably going to be more non-white roles but roughly how many do we need?

Also, this.

I don't think it'll ever happen.. or maybe I'm just cynical...

This movie looks great yet too deep for me to understand and enjoy that kind of puts me off of watching it.

I didn't know about the Washowski... siblings part.

So to americans latinos are not white? French, italians, polish, spanish and portuguese are all not white. Kind remembers me an episode of Family guy.

As an englishman I never really got the american animosity between 'latino's' and 'white anglo saxaon prodestants'. The reason being, in europe, were all really just Eureopeans, aside from some historical animosity, and the odd disagreement about centralised europe, were all simply various shades of white european's both spain and and england were slave owning colonial powers, we both sized lands from the native inhabitants, the only difference being the north americans colonialists were better at it.

That's why I've always felt opression against someone whose black is far worse than opression because someone speaks spanish.

weird huh!?

The Gentleman:

Ben kingsly is asian BTW, just a bit further west than china is all (india)

Educated, nice one Bob....

brazuca:
So to americans latinos are not white? French, italians, polish, spanish and portuguese are all not white. Kind remembers me an episode of Family guy.

[ youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paQnokH3Px4]

this so much, everytime they say latinos like its some sort of skin coloration, cause HOW YOU DARE TO SAY THAT WHITES ARENT ONLY AMERICANS AND EUROPEANS?

cloud atlas looks awesome, I still can't wait to see it.

Father Time:
So Bob since the past is unchangeable and that historical stigma and blackface will always be around in the past, isn't those double standard justifications going to be eternal?

Seriously how would we know when we can drop the double standard altogether? I really want to know.

That's easy. You'll know that time has come when people stop making a big deal about this kind of thing.

It's pretty sad how quickly and easily history forgets things, really.

I know this is a little off topic but concidering just how badass Idris Elba was in Thor and Rock'n'Rolla im surprised he's not bigger state side... or here in the UK actually. Seriously, I thought he was gonna be the next BIG black actor.

So.....this is the first I've heard of this. Bob, are you making up issues for views? Or is this some Hollywood insider mad that the rest of us have missed out on?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here