Zero Punctuation: Medal of Honor Warfighter & Doom 3 BFG Edition

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

disgruntledgamer:

Also would someone please tell me what the 7th bloke down on page 1 did to receive a warning? I'm not trying to be a %^$& I really don't know.

He promoted Ad blocker(he said a certain add on, so it's either that or something similar). The use of and promotion of Ad blocker or similar programs is against the rules.

Not that Doom 3 is a great game (it drags on and on and it doesn't have enough substance for that) but it's better than most shooters released nowadays.

I hope Doom 4 has a less serious tone, but not like the first two. No more audio logs too please.

So I'm getting the overall impression that he did not like Warfighter. *snerk* Sorry, I can't take that name seriously either.

Strain42:
So who else is going to try their hardest to make sure that spunkgargleweewee catches on?

Now here's a serious question though...

Bioshock = Shooter, right? But would Bioshock 2 = Spunkgargleweewee

And from what I've seen the next Bioshock will be back up to Shooter.

Bioshock 2 sure as hell is no Spunkgargleweewee. Yeah, it wasn´t quite up there with the holy grail that is the original Bioshock but it was still very far away from Spunkgargleweewee territory.
Why people consider that game to be bad is confusing as hell to me.

Here's the thing about Doom 3 BFG. it's easy to laugh at from the outside. I did, I even got a bit angry that amongst all ID's hinting and teasing about doom 4, it dared to pull such as a stunt as unveiling "DOOM 3! AGAIN!".

But then eventually, I played it. Simply because I'm a sucker for Doom.

And honestly...it fits. The changes are fairly minor but make for a vastly different game with a flow much closer to the classic titles. The shoulder mounted flashlight means you can always have a gun equipped, allowing you to react quickly to enemies, and keep the game fast paced. The increased amount of ammo means you can fire away without too much concern for what locker your next load of shotgun shells is coming from, and what poor sod's PDA you have to look through to get the combination.

It isn't classic doom, but if Doom 4 is to return to that style fully, Doom 3 BFG truly is Doom 3.5, a stopgap on the way back to classic Doom.

It's by no means a must buy, I'd say it's definitely one for hardcore Doom fans, but it's pretty good.

Nice review and all, hilarious as usual.

Mike Fang:
M'kay, Yahtzee's criticism of how games like these are dull and boring due to regenerating health taking about a huge chunk of the challenge and cover mechanics making the fights tedious, this I can get behind (no pun intended). I can definitely see how having to fight while wounded helps ramp up challenge for a game and taking that away makes it less of a challenging game and more of a chore to do between cutscenes. Cover mechanics make good sense, especially if they were PAIRED with non-regenerating health, because in the event you're bleeding out you'd like the option to be more cautious I'd bet, but you need a smarter AI that will do stuff like try to flank you when you duck behind cover or will attack you with weapons that get around the cover, like grenades. Otherwise if you keep using the same brain dead kamikazi troop AI's that seem to plan to just move slowly towards you in the hopes their dead bodies will give you some kind of fatal illness, there's no challenge at all.

On Yahtzee's criticism of the story setting; yes, it's a bit of smaller audience that these games are trying to appeal to, mostly the type that like Tom Clancy novels. The modern military isn't exactly a thrill-a-minute subject because it's largely got to do with modern politics, and virtually everyone these days finds -that- particular subject nauseous. So I can't blame anyone for not finding this particular setting appealing, but neither would I blame other people for liking it; it's all a matter of preference.

Now, Yahtzee's criticism of the pro-U.S. military feel of these games. Oh please, give me a fucking break. It's one thing to criticize a game for failing to explain the reason you have to shoot an enemy (which he did), it's another thing to say the more advanced military force is the bad guy just because the enemies in a game aren't white or members of a 1st world nation (which he also did). Whether a fighting force is using a state-of-the-art, remote controlled kill-bot or a Cold War-era AK-47, if they're using said weapons to enact ethnic cleansing, religious genocide or politically motivated mass murder they're STILL THE FUCKING BAD GUYS. The Al Queda and the Taliban, for example, aren't sitting around in Armani suits, sipping Starbucks and watching flat screen tvs, but that doesn't make them any more justified for bombing department stores and markets or broadcasting videos of cutting kidnap victims' heads off.

Failing to give a proper explanation for player actions is a serious fault in a game. But being poor or a minority doesn't give anyone a free pass, either.

Please tell me exactly why terrorists exist in the first place.

Yep, Doom 3 was way ahead of its time. Only 8 years later can people truly appreciate it.

After 3 years of watching your shows, I've finally registered :D I love your show man, I visit your page daily!

Mr_Terrific:
Wonder why he hates Borderlands if he's not into sgww?? Borderlands in the anti-Modern Opsfielder.

Maybe because it's just Diablo 1 with guns?

Oh man, old man Yahtzee being all hipster :P

This was a really freaking good video and although im not at all happy that the bombing Warfighter may have done to EA's profit margin, which will proberly cause people to lose their jobs, im glad they may have realised its all pointless and get back to making good games like... erm... what have EA released again that wasn't complete doodie?

Shadowstar38:

Sylveria:

erttheking:
Funny review I admit that, but I am getting a little tired of people who like games like COD being accused of not being "real" shooter fans.

They're not real shooter fans. They're wall-hugging simulator fans and wouldn't survive a single level in a game where they didn't have a barricade of sand to hide behind while waiting for their health to regenerate.

Uh. No.

When I got into the shooter genre, I started out with Call of Duty. Then I went to playing Half Life and Painkiller later on and did just fine.

Each of these types of game are shooters, there is just different tiers of shooter.

Dude please don't say tier, unless you want every shooter snob whipping out their personal chart...

PunkRex:

Shadowstar38:

Sylveria:

They're not real shooter fans. They're wall-hugging simulator fans and wouldn't survive a single level in a game where they didn't have a barricade of sand to hide behind while waiting for their health to regenerate.

Uh. No.

When I got into the shooter genre, I started out with Call of Duty. Then I went to playing Half Life and Painkiller later on and did just fine.

Each of these types of game are shooters, there is just different tiers of shooter.

Dude please don't say tier, unless you want every shooter snob whipping out their personal chart...

Fine. "Type" of shooter then. The point is, dismissing the people that play COD as not true shooter fans is a retarded statement.

Arcane Azmadi:
Yahtzee... THAT... was awesome. Seriously, I'm adding that last tirade about how you liked FPSs when CoD fans were even more little screaming brats than they are now straight to the 'Crowning Moment of Awesome' page of your TV Tropes entry.

Yeah, I saw that. Nice job.

PunkRex:
what have EA released again that wasn't complete doodie?

While Mirror's Edge was far from being a perfect game, it's still actually pretty good. And it was a risk. Taken by EA. Then there was all their older stuff - the original Most Wanted was awesome, for instance. [/fanboy]

First off, I loved that rant about people attacking his shooter-cred, it seems like the first legit rant he's had in a while, or at least feel like it.

Second, if I am to get this correctly, Spunkgargleweewee (SGWW) is defined as A) Cover-based, B) NPCs can carry you through levels C) You have no personal story and are mindless soldier A. D) The only reason you play it is 'for the multiplayer' and the story means nothing at all

Choose any two from the above, if I am correct, and this makes SGWW?

side note: I am joining to movement to make SGWW a legit or at least modern slang genre name

leet_x1337:
[quote="PunkRex" post="6.393087.15889210"]what have EA released again that wasn't complete doodie?

Bad Company 2, Dead Space 3, ME2 and 3, uhh...

Why am I defending EA?

Awesome job. I thought I got used to Yahtzee's humor and haven't laughed this much at a yellow-backgrounded internet video in a long time!

I almost feel like the people who made Warfighter played Spec Ops: The Line and then said "everything this game says is bad, we're going to do without a hint of irony."

I am definitely going to start referring to those games as "Spunkgargleweewees".

I too have been playing Doom 3: BFG Edition, on 'Veteran' difficulty. It's a lot more fun than I remember it.

couldnt help but agree and laugh with what you said yahtzee

Yahtzee has repeatedly said that having better tech makes killing people wrong... I don't get it, seriously how does being the superior fighters mean that everything you do is morally terrible? Have we switched to a movie based system of morality where the scrappy under-dogds are always the good guys and the rich, skilled, constantly winning sports team is invariably evil?

All the fabulous titles released in the Spunkgargleweewee genre continually convince me to never stop playing Half-Life.

Markunator:
"Paranoid American power fantasy"? Sorry, I just don't agree. Portraying a war through the eyes of Americans while portraying the Americans positively is not the same as a power fantasy.

Also, taking military action to stop Osama bin Laden was definitely justified, it's just the way it was handled as well as the war in Iraq which were questionable.

The bottom line is, I'm not down with the idea of throwing away the entire concept of military shooters just because there's been too many of them trying to copy Call of Duty. There is potential for good storytelling and gameplay within the context of modern war, and I think that potential is too good to squander. Just wait until ArmA III comes out - that isn't going to be a Call of Duty clone.

1) Yeah, except these kind of games and their fanbase are far mor interested in either a gun show with top of the range military hardware, or simply in it for the ride. I thought COD was going to be kind of like Spec Ops: The Line, until MW2 came along.

2) Taking military action may be necessary and frankly I rather be dealing with midly racist americans than head chopping talibans. I personally hate the taliban so fucking much, ruining the reputation of millions while wearing the same irony blinkers as Hitler.

3) But you still have to admit, the concept is played out WAY too much. It's suffering the same syndrome as the World War 2 it helped dethrone. Frankly I hope at least future warfare will bring something interesting.
ARMA has always had it's little bubble and I doubt it will break out from it.

Yopaz:
It's funny how people accuse him of not liking shooter when some of the games he give the most praise (Half-Life and Painkiller) are shooters.

I'm going to accuse him of not liking survival horror games for the bad review he gave Resident Evil 5.

I guess none of the titles he reviewed seems appealing to me. I guess I like modern shooters a tad more than he does, but only because he really, really hates them. Hilarious as always though.

The problem is he doesn't play multiplayer. Which is what those spark gunkle wee wee games focus on. I would hate all modern shooter if I only played the single player as well because FFS they are all hopelessly boring and identical.

Farther than stars:
I'm pretty sure we have a word for 'warfighter'. They're called soldiers. -.-

Warfighter is a generic term applying to soldiers, sailors, marines, airmen, etc. Don't call a marine a soldier unless you want to piss them off, and vice versa. It's a slightly more professional word than "troops" and shorter than writing all of the above. It's more that the title is using a somewhat obscure term than anything.

Might not bother with this game if he put it down after an hour and a half though. Normally he at least finishes a game, no matter how iffy.

yahtzee has just told everyone how a REAL shooter is done.

Yeah, Doom 3 really was a good game. I'm definitely getting the Doom 3 BFG Edition. Hopefully Doom 4 won't just be a Call of Duty clone, not that I don't like Call of Duty, I would just like to see some more variety.

When I first heard about Medal of Honor: Warfighter, I didn't think it was a stupid title and I still don't. It may not be the most poetic title ever, but I don't really see what's so bad about it.

Also, In Doom you shoot enemies from a first person perspective. Therefore, it's a first person shooter.

In Call of Duty you shoot enemies from a first person perspective. Therefore, it's a first person shooter.

I get that people are getting a little bit tired of these modern military shooters (MMS as coined by TotalBiscuit) but saying that they're not real shooters or that people who enjoy them aren't real shooter fans is way too extreme.

Quick question: Does anyone here remember that Yahtzee loved CoD4 and liked MW2? He doesn't hate all ModMilShooters, just the bad ones.

blackrave:
The very fact you are on this website means you are above average gamer

I resent that remark! I am by no means an above-average gamer; I am in fact quite below average, borderline terrible.

I don't think I've ever heard Yahztee with this much enthusiasm and vigor. I like it.

So one thing I took away from this is that FPS = First person Gradius, and Gargleweewee = Space invaders.

Lonewolfm16:
Yahtzee has repeatedly said that having better tech makes killing people wrong... I don't get it, seriously how does being the superior fighters mean that everything you do is morally terrible? Have we switched to a movie based system of morality where the scrappy under-dogds are always the good guys and the rich, skilled, constantly winning sports team is invariably evil?

I'm actually all for US intervention abroad, but that moment with the robot (as described) still creeped me out. If you're going to do something like that, you'd better do a good job of establishing the bad guys as a) obviously evil b) morally neutral but regrettably in the way of obviously evil people c) not deserving of human rights (e.g. zombies). While applying movie logic to real life is stupid, Warfighter is a video game that has to play by dramatic rules.

It's actually kind of a pity, I'd been on the look for a game that was actually able to talk about modern warfare without being stupid (MW2), jingoistic (MW3), buggy (MOH), or just generally bad (BF3). (Spec Ops was good, but it was more about military shooters rather than actual war.)

furthermore; i don't know if I ever really needed shooters like that. I haven't played any of them and have no desire to, but I'm not sure they were ever really required.

Then again, maybe enough people are now becoming aware of how unnecessary it is, and are starting to think that war might not be exclusively awesome. So in that sense it might be a good thing.

I have heard nothing but rage towards this game
I'm not sure it's even worth playing for free if you know what I mean
Still could be worse in the loud and bland homogenized department, could be the music industry

Fancy that refreshing you soul with a corridor shooter
I'm off to play serious sam

A fantastic video this week. I love the sheer indignation from 4:27 onward.

I expect I'm coming to the discussion somewhat late with this, but the release of our most recent war simulator Halo 4 brings it to mind. Did anyone else notice a distinct change in Halo tactics between those games in the series released before Gears Of War (namely 1 & 2) and those released afterward?

It seems to me that the 'revolutionary' effect Gears had acted to pollute future shooters and narrow the first person strategy types consumers get a chance to play.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here