No Right Answer: Most Depressing Series Ending

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Most Depressing Series Ending

The time after your favorite TV show has aired it's last episode is rough. You've lost a close friend, who you might have been with for years. What series really rubbed salt in the wound by having the most depressing ending ever?

Watch Video

"It wasn't a chicken!"
Well after that, I'm sure glad My Little Pony is coming back this Friday :(

I only saw the Dinosaurs ending, so I agree with Dan solely on that regard.

Can't really think of a personal pick, seeing how most series I've seen either had a happy ending or just didn't end at all.

Also: place your bets, ladies and gents:
How long until someone picks a series that was cancelled mid-series as the worst ending saying that "it ended too soon, that's why it's depressing"?

In my opinion, Blackadder Goes Forth had the most depressing ending of all. Considering the entire rest of the series had been a funny, snarky comedy, the ending to the very last season takes a very depressing turn.

Now, I haven't seen either Dinosaurs or Roseanne, so I can't judge those, but still. The ending of Blackadder is just so depressing...

Oh yeah that final episode of Dinosaurs was very depressing. Too bad I didn't understand it at the time since it was on reruns and the announcer said something they get back on their feets immediently since another episodes start right after that one. I was a kid so I bought it.
Now I got to check out that real credit scene! (They did NOT show that when I watched it.)

EDIT- Ok I'm starting to believed they had made it up/ fantasy the frozen baby scene as there is nothing on that scene from my search for it! Seriously typing the show name and Baby being frozen at the credit put this thread on the first page!

I remember the Dinosuars ending. They even had a news announcer actually talk about things and ending the broadcast with "Goodnight and...goodbye." Definitely a poignant moment.

But...yikes! I must've missed the Baby frozen in ice. Was that after the credits?

Frozen Baby?
The final scene of the episode I saw was with the news reporter saying that there was no hope in sight and finished the report by saying, "Goodnight...Goodbye..."
I like that because the first scene of the first episode was the news reporter talking about a meteor strike that was going to kill them. I'm a sad panda now...

The final episode of Roseanne suck.

Plus it is a wildly believed fact that Jurrassic Bark is the most depressing episode of anything ever. (Though not a series finale)

It's not a TV series, but I think the pre-Extended Cut ending of Mass Effect 3 would qualify has horribly depressing.

bdcjacko:

Plus it is a wildly believed fact that Jurrassic Bark is the most depressing episode of anything ever. (Though not a series finale)

No arguments there, Jurrasic Barks makes me tear up almost every time.

I feel like this show is becoming 'let's argue over Cracked articles.' Not a bad thing.

True enough! I never saw the final episode of ANY of those older tv shows lol And I loved Dinosaurs, and that ending's so very very very depressing...

TheThirdChild:
Frozen Baby?
The final scene of the episode I saw was with the news reporter saying that there was no hope in sight and finished the report by saying, "Goodnight...Goodbye..."
I like that because the first scene of the first episode was the news reporter talking about a meteor strike that was going to kill them. I'm a sad panda now...

they probably mixed Baby with the kid from Spielberg's AI lol

DVS BSTrD:
Well after that, I'm sure glad My Little Pony is coming back this Friday :(

Those cute ponies bring a smile to my face, and evil smile :) A similar version was used on an ad in Brazil for Honda or something (the ad was prohibted from airing, but can easily be found in youtube "Poneis Malditos"), it's like a car getting stuck in mud and the spokesman says "you want a car with horse power or pony power?" hahahaha than this childish song begins with dancing ponies that translates "Cursed ponies, cursed ponies,come with us and have fun! I hate mud, I hate dirt - how disgusting! - I shall no longer move!" after the crdits the pink poney returns with flaming eyes warning that you're cursed never to forget the song again lol
The ad was banned becaused in Brazil we don't allow "aggressive" advertising, in this case, showing another car (Ford I guess, don't remember) getting stuck, and saying that Honda is better.

Personally I think some of the most depressing show endings are when there's wasted potential or an unsatisfying conclusion like Lost, or when a series is cancelled before its time like Heroes.

That was a pretty screwed up ending to Dinosaurs though... you do have to wonder why the creators decide to give the ending such thematic whiplash.

leviadragon99:
Personally I think some of the most depressing show endings are when there's wasted potential or an unsatisfying conclusion like Lost, or when a series is cancelled before its time like Heroes.

That was a pretty screwed up ending to Dinosaurs though... you do have to wonder why the creators decide to give the ending such thematic whiplash.

I would argue that Heroes probably ran longer than it should have. I still haven't finished season 4. I just lost interest.

Also, better to separate depressing content from lame outcome in this thread. Rosanne's ending was depressing; Lost's ending was lame.

If you consider it as a complete show rather than an unfinished one, Star Gate Universe had a fairly depressing end. Poor Eli...

I was rooting on dinosaurs because i watched that show (thougt not the ending) but that Rosseane ending sounds depressing.

TheThirdChild:
Frozen Baby?

You're right!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTUA_wdp78

At first I was happy because there wasn't a frozen baby, but then I watched the whole thing. Now, I just feel depressed.

Funny you mention "Big Bang Guy" because The Big Bang Theory is somewhat of a successor to Roseanne.

Firefilm:

The time after your favorite TV show has aired it's last episode is rough. You've lost a close friend, who you might have been with for years. What series really rubbed salt in the wound by having the most depressing ending ever?

Watch Video

"And taking a look at the long range forecast, continued snow, darkness and extreme cold. This is Howard Handupme. Goodnight. Goodbye." is the last spoken line of Dinosaurs.

But my vote still rest with ALF. Instead of being picked up by his alien friends to be taken to his new home world, he is captured by the Alien Task Force and taken to be dissected.

C117:
In my opinion, Blackadder Goes Forth had the most depressing ending of all. Considering the entire rest of the series had been a funny, snarky comedy, the ending to the very last season takes a very depressing turn.

Now, I haven't seen either Dinosaurs or Roseanne, so I can't judge those, but still. The ending of Blackadder is just so depressing...

Totally agree. Blackadder Goes Forth had all that fun with the characters and finding something humorous in the setting of such a bleak war. But then you hit that spot in the ending where the show just punches you in the gut about all the young lives lost over what seems such a silly thing now. The quite of the ending just makes it impossible not to reflect on the lives lost.

What about Alf? That traumatized me as a kid. It ends with him getting picked up by the government who were going to VIVISECT him.

RatherDull:
Funny you mention "Big Bang Guy" because The Big Bang Theory is somewhat of a successor to Roseanne.

Chuck Lorre was a producer for both shows, and wrote some episodes for Rosanne, but Big Bang Theory is in no way a successor. Different Characters, Different Location, Different Time Period.

artanis_neravar:

Firefilm:

Watch Video

"And taking a look at the long range forecast, continued snow, darkness and extreme cold. This is Howard Handupme. Goodnight. Goodbye." is the last spoken line of Dinosaurs.

But my vote still rest with ALF. Instead of being picked up by his alien friends to be taken to his new home world, he is captured by the Alien Task Force and taken to be dissected.

ace_of_something:
What about Alf? That traumatized me as a kid. It ends with him getting picked up by the government who were going to VIVISECT him.

I just recently watched the Alf Project movie, the beggining is actually very funny.

FloodOne:

bdcjacko:

No arguments there, Jurrasic Barks makes me tear up almost every time.

I agree it was sad the first time but after Bender's Big Score the scene losses impact.

artanis_neravar:

Heh, sounds like X-COM.

You know, I really liked the ending to Dinosaurs. In fact, I still do.

RJ Dalton:
You know, I really liked the ending to Dinosaurs. In fact, I still do.

Agreed. Nothing makes me happier than knowing that f**king baby died horribly :)

The Roseanne ending got me right in the feels man. THE FEELS

I'd like to throw Scrubs in there. Not so much depressing but I'm not gonna lie I got all teary eyed.

C117:

i agree, though i don't know how well known blackadder is in the US.

Surprised no one has mentioned Alf and what happened to him.. I won't spoil it but that was way worse than both Rosanne and Dinasours.

Or the end of St. Elsewhere not just that they said the entire thing was made up by the kid but the last image of the last show where they displayed the MTM screen with the kitten..

THEY KILLED THE FRICKEN KITTEN!

C117:

I agree that the final episode is particularly sad, but the rest of the seasons also ended on very depressing notes, but a bit more humorous though. Doesn´t everyone die horribly in Season 1? And There´s also a lot of death in 2 and 3, but also some humour. Goes forth is just bleak as hell.

Neon Genesis Evangelion. Discussion over.

TheFederation:

C117:

i agree, though i don't know how well known blackadder is in the US.

I'm from the US. Loved that series, totally agree.

"Made a note in my diary on the way here. Simply says, 'Bugger.'"

Storm Dragon:
Neon Genesis Evangelion. Discussion over.

I second that. And watching Third Impact unfold on my screen was one of the biggest mind fucks I've ever seen.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here