No Right Answer: Most Depressing Series Ending

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Chalk one up for Blackadder goes Forth. That ending was just... Merciless.

I think the kicker is Blackadder's final line: "Good luck, everyone." He's the meanest, most passive-agressive misanthrope the world has ever seen. Hearing him saying anything nice, at all, to someone else... You know no one is getting out alive.

LostintheWick:

RJ Dalton:
You know, I really liked the ending to Dinosaurs. In fact, I still do.

Agreed. Nothing makes me happier than knowing that f**king baby died horribly :)

Wasn't why for me, but whatever gives you joy, I guess.

Blake's 7.

Every character is shot to death. One by one. In succession.In slow motion

porpoise hork:
Surprised no one has mentioned Alf and what happened to him.. I won't spoil it but that was way worse than both Rosanne and Dinasours.

Or the end of St. Elsewhere not just that they said the entire thing was made up by the kid but the last image of the last show where they displayed the MTM screen with the kitten..

THEY KILLED THE FRICKEN KITTEN!

YOU BASTARDS!!!

But back on topic, this video got me thinking of the Cracked aticle about the most Soul-crushing series finales. Is there a need for such sudden mood whiplash (I think that's a TV Trope)?

Safaia:
I feel like this show is becoming 'let's argue over Cracked articles.' Not a bad thing.

Not surprising, since they cover a lot of the same material and subjects.

Dinosaurs definately had the sadder ending. I mean, come on, baby with a big smile on his face frozen in ice, nuclear winter, that's just depressing! Especially considering how loveable the family was on that show.

Azurian:

FloodOne:

bdcjacko:
The final episode of Roseanne suck.

Plus it is a wildly believed fact that Jurrassic Bark is the most depressing episode of anything ever. (Though not a series finale)

No arguments there, Jurrasic Barks makes me tear up almost every time.

I agree it was sad the first time but after Bender's Big Score the scene losses impact.

Hence my vote for saddest American animation moment going to "Luck of the Fryish"

"I love you Phillip, and I always will..."

That is depressing.

Though saddest overall goes to Fullmetal Alchemist. Everyone knows the moment.

Dinosaurs vs Roseanne....

Shouldn't this have been a debate of "Most Depressing Series"? Hey-ooooooooooh! :P

Ladies and gentlemen I give you Mortal Kombat: Conquest.

and yes I did just use spoilers for a series over 10 years old.

What about M*A*S*H the final episode involves one of the main characters having a psychotic break because while hiding from North Koreans he snaps at a mother to keep her baby quiet so she kills it so that the North Koreans would not hear it.

I can think of three Blackadder goes forth, Berserk which was just wow and Cowboy Bebop which I just finished watching

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Azurian:

FloodOne:

No arguments there, Jurrasic Barks makes me tear up almost every time.

I agree it was sad the first time but after Bender's Big Score the scene losses impact.

Hence my vote for saddest American animation moment going to "Luck of the Fryish"

That is depressing.

This part in FMA?

Luck of the Fryish was a much sadder episode than Jurassic Bark. "Named for his Uncle, to carry on his spirit." How could that not make you bawl?

I think I'm going to have to go with Quantum Leap's final episode. For those of you unfamiliar with the show, go watch it. It's a rather interesting series, and you can actually watch most of the series out of order.

The fact that the ending actually clashed with the entire theme of the series that was being built up over the course five seasons makes the ending come down on you like a ton of bricks.

artanis_neravar:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Azurian:

That is depressing.

This part in FMA?

Luck of the Fryish was a much sadder episode than Jurassic Bark. "Named for his Uncle, to carry on his spirit." How could that not make you bawl?

Nope.

I have yet to meet an anime fan that watched that episode and wasn't sobbing by the end.

While not the actual ending to the series, Serenity was essentially the end. Not the actual ending mind you, but three scenes before it:

This was honestly the most depressing ending of any series for me, not just Television.

DVS BSTrD:
Well after that, I'm sure glad My Little Pony is coming back this Friday :(

Just hope they don't make a two part ending out of "Big Apple Massacre" and "Cupcakes" as the finale when the series ends. :)

Infamous shock-fan fics, if you don't know them you might look them up, just understand what your getting into. The title of the former pretty much gets to the point, "Cupcakes" is more disturbing and well... let's just say the story does involve cupcakes.

-

I'll also say that I think shows that really have no ending or end with a cliffhanger before not being continued are worse than ones that have some kind of finality. I'll also say that the ending of a series should make sense within the context of the show, and should ultimatly be positive.

To be honest with you at least with "Dinosaurs" and "Roseanne" you know what happened. If you take something like say "The Sopranos" which was a non-ending, it's infinatly more annoying, and compounded by fanboys who run around saying you don't get it, and how much of a genius the guy doing the show was for ending it that way.

I'm going with something completely different: Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes (both UK versions).

Life On Mars:

Ashes To Ashes

Both are really insane endings, but they're depressing just for the insanity of it all.

Also, House MD:

bdcjacko:
The final episode of Roseanne suck.

Plus it is a wildly believed fact that Jurrassic Bark is the most depressing episode of anything ever. (Though not a series finale)

Futurama's "The Sting" also gave me a feel. It's a really well played episode. Plus have you been watching Adventure Time recently? "I Remember you" grabbed me by the feels and didn't let go. It's so tragic when combined with the existing back-story ;_;

Depressing/Feels moments in general i think special mention has to be given the THAT SCENE in Toy Story 3. If you didn't weep like a baby you have no soul! No soul!!

C117:
In my opinion, Blackadder Goes Forth had the most depressing ending of all. Considering the entire rest of the series had been a funny, snarky comedy, the ending to the very last season takes a very depressing turn.

The thing is it was inevitable. You couldn't have it any other way. The first world war is not a happy subject at the best of times and i think it might be one of the most depressing but it is certainly one of the poignant and meaningful endings to a comedy series ever. It gives you a great sense of history.

Wolf's Rain. Well, if you understand what's going on anyway. Most don't because the allegory goes over most non Japanese people's heads, so it's just a bunch of pictures that haven't much context. But it does. And it's depressing.

C117:
In my opinion, Blackadder Goes Forth had the most depressing ending of all. Considering the entire rest of the series had been a funny, snarky comedy, the ending to the very last season takes a very depressing turn.

Now, I haven't seen either Dinosaurs or Roseanne, so I can't judge those, but still. The ending of Blackadder is just so depressing...

I couldn't agree with you more with the Blackadder finale.

"Rather hoped I'd get through the whole show, go back to work at Pratt and Sons, keep wicket for the Croydon Gentlemen, marry Doris. Made a note in my diary on the way here. Simply says: "Bugger"."

I never actually watched the ending to Dinosaurs, and the first time I learned of it was on Cracked (I somehow missed it, go figure), but while it does strike me as the most depressing ending to any show I know of, it also strikes me as entirely fitting.

Light-hearted show? Yes, but it was also a show with heavy social commentary. From sexual harrassment to mocking our dependency on television to the deplorable use of religion as a tool to make money, Dinosaurs used all those animatronics to make a point or two. Sometimes the best way to get under people's defenses is to trick them into believing they're watching something harmless.

I rememeber an old Disney cartoon based on the Chicken Little story, where a clever fox uses rumors, mass hysteria, and a guilible sap (Chicken "the sky is falling" Little) to steer an entire farm's worth of fowl into a cave, where he planned on devouring them at his leisure.

Do they escape? No. The fox won and kills them all (yeesh, it was a dark ending for a Disney cartoon). The point of the cartoon was to teach a moral about the dangers of rumors and getting caught up in panic and fear. It was there to teach us a lesson, not the characters.

Dinosaurs was the same way. The ending was to remind US of our potential future, not the dinosaurs. Pretty brave, I'd say.

Final episode of Married with Children; they just blow away in a hurricane.

you watched rosanne for 9 years? i couldnt even make it through one episode, she annoyed the crap out of me

Therumancer:
"Cupcakes" is more disturbing and well... let's just say the story does involve cupcakes.

cupcakes is actually why i started watching the show...sort of. when i originally asked about it someone told me to check out cupcakes. i googled it and pinkie pies cupcake song was the first thing that came up so thats what i thought they meant. it wasnt until halfway through the first season that i realized they had been talking about something completely different and i have no intention of ever finding out what i missed

I still think Teen Titans had the saddest ending. Now THAT was an ending that felt like it shot someone you loved in the face. The title of the last episode (as well as the end lines) were not a message to the characters of the show, but the audience of (probably) still children. "Things change," AKA, "we're done. Grow up and get over it."

Riobux:
I'm going with something completely different: Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes (both UK versions).

Also, House MD:

Some shows deserve a endings and house is one of those shows.

But I do think dinosaurs does take the cake.

Scarim Coral:
Oh yeah that final episode of Dinosaurs was very depressing. Too bad I didn't understand it at the time since it was on reruns and the announcer said something they get back on their feets immediently since another episodes start right after that one. I was a kid so I bought it.
Now I got to check out that real credit scene! (They did NOT show that when I watched it.)

EDIT- Ok I'm starting to believed they had made it up/ fantasy the frozen baby scene as there is nothing on that scene from my search for it! Seriously typing the show name and Baby being frozen at the credit put this thread on the first page!

I actually wonder. Is it possible that the frozen baby was deemed "safer" for children?

I mean the news person final line was very grim, perhaps they thought a "frozen smiling baby" would cause fewer questions from children. In fact most would just assume that the "frozen baby" was just a picture, only the older children and adults would possibly realize the truth.

I'm throwing my hat into the Black Adder Goes Forth ring, because it was ever- so well done.

Although, I did just see the final episode of Full Metal Alchemist for the first time, tonight.

In a dusty room.

A VERY dusty room.

(I think I'll get a little choked up now, every time I see a pic of Al's suit of armor...)

Here's a clue for my choice, the ending was stipulated as a forgone conclusion from the opening credits of the first episode. So in other words, the jackals who made it should have had the last episode sitting in the can from the get go, yet they didn't.

Six seasons later they simply stop. No ending.

Yet here is the opening phrase spoken every single freakin episode:

I am Duncan MacLeod, born four hundred years ago in the Highlands of Scotland. I am Immortal and I am not alone. For centuries we have waited for the time of the Gathering, when the stroke of a sword and the fall of a head will release the power of the Quickening. In the end, there can be only one.'

Yet in the end, we were left with many. Talk about depressingly stupid endings. Nothing could have been easier to script than the ending of Highlander.

I didn't find the ending to Roseanne all that depressing. Forget the fact that the final season dropped all pretense of plausibility, the show had always been about how life kicks you in the teeth, but you keep going, so while the ending was a bit out of left field, it's only depressing if you find real life depressing, and a somewhat sober ending fit the show. Now Dinosaurs did the opposite. You expected the series to end on the extinction in some goofy and funny way, but the majority of the episode went to punch you in the testicles ending on the final low blow of the realization of that Baby being cut off of life at so young an age. Any show that kills a baby wins out.

Of course there's anime that's done a lot to crush my soul, and while I give points to the Kenshin: Reflection OAV finale and Chrono Crusade, the final two episodes of Fruits Basket just hit you like a semi truck after a series made of mostly happy fluff.

Look left, then read post. You know what my vote is.

Also, the last lines are via the newsman "And taking a look at the long-range forecast, the continued snow, darkness, and extreme cold. This is Howard Handupme. Goodnight. Goodbye.

LostintheWick:
Agreed. Nothing makes me happier than knowing that f**king baby died horribly :)

What? I'm the Baby, gotta love me!

I pretty much have to go with Blackadder Goes Forth as well. I mean the other series' ended on mass death but it was played in such a way that it was still quite humourous. Goes Forth played it completely straight.

But I want to add another depressing ending to the list. Twin Peaks. Admittedly the show lost a lot of its initial appeal mid-way through the season it was beginning to pick up towards the end and put out some really fine episodes.

Darknacht:
What about M*A*S*H the final episode involves one of the main characters having a psychotic break because while hiding from North Koreans he snaps at a mother to keep her baby quiet so she kills it so that the North Koreans would not hear it.

This! And those North Korean Musicians that Charles took under his wing.....

Dinosaurs was never a "light" series. It certainly was NOT Family Matters with dinosaurs. It was a much better show than Family Matters could ever hope to be.

bdcjacko:

Jurassic Bark was perhaps not quite depressing, as it was touching, and emotional and moving. Okay, maybe a bit depressing.

On my list of most depressing series endings are probably Neon Genesis Evangelion (which I won't go into, see above posts) and Star Trek: The Next Generation.
The latter was probably tied in with a whole "end of my childhood", "will never come to pass again" thing, though, more than the series itself.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here