No Right Answer: Most Depressing Series Ending

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Nope.

I have yet to meet an anime fan that watched that episode and wasn't sobbing by the end.

Well, it made me tear up on demand Just reading that sentence soooo, I believe you're right.

Other than that, I actually haven't seen either of these endings. The only show ending that I can remember, that didn't have a movie or something coming after, was DBGT I think. Still hate Goku for that.

The thing that should have been mentioned about Roseanne, and why it should win out over Dinosaurs is very simple, and puts the whole thing in context.

That it's based heavily on Roseanne Barr's life BEFORE she started the show...

I think I may have the most depressing one ever. If indeed 'series' can mean any tv series regardless of genre.

The Pirates of Dark Water. Most depressing ending ever, know why? Didn't have one. Got cancelled barely even half way through. And then know what we go? A cat....lapping at milk. I'm serious, at some point they faked someone sending in a request for the ending episode and spoofed that the last episodes were tapped over by a cat drinking milk. Cute joke, massively depressing. So many incredible shows never finished. *sighs*

Sorry if I got this wrong, I just interpret the absence of an ending as hugely more depressing then at least knowing how the characters inevitably die. Death is a form of closure at least. Instead of eternal limbo and endless questions.

I pretty much have to give it to Dinosaurs having the saddest ending just because it never went into syndication.

Justin Murphy:

Riobux:
I'm going with something completely different: Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes (both UK versions).

Also, House MD:

Some shows deserve a endings and house is one of those shows.

But I do think dinosaurs does take the cake.

Oh god...

Just for that, I'm going to teach your kid,"Not the baby". That is the first time I think I have laughed watching No Right Answer. I applaud you for that. Dan going "NO!" would of been funnier if you didn't cut him off.You needed that quick out, so the credits work. I get that.

There were parts where things were enjoyable. So you are getting better. Still not a show I regularly watch, though I will keep coming back when you cover something I care about again. Dinosaurs is one of them, so I thank you for that.

I'm with Kyle. Roseanne had more of a depressing ending. you follow these people for 8 seasons and they turn around and say "most of it didn't happen". but i think what got me was how they shot it. like you guys said John Goodman's character, Dan dies but how they shot that was a nice family meal, Dan smiling, camera goes past getting him out of view. roseanne says he's dead, camera goes back to dan's chair which is empty while sad music plays.

but more importantly i think it comes down to humans VS da dinosaurs. who are you giving your sympathy to?

.....could be wrong...

Cowboy Bebop for me has the most poignant, depressing ending. Although it is happy at the same time...

Teen Titans was horribly depressing because they left it on a cliff hanger.

Neon Genesis Evangelion EoE ending was also very depressing BUT so was most of the series so you do not feel that bad about it.

Blackadder Goes Forth has already been said many times in this thread but is still stupidly depressing.

I remember the Only fools and Horses final ending was quite depressing (If I remember correctly Del Boy and Rodney have a conversation about Rodneys real dad at their mothers grave, before driving off) It was ages since I last saw it though.

MrBaskerville:

C117:
In my opinion, Blackadder Goes Forth had the most depressing ending of all. Considering the entire rest of the series had been a funny, snarky comedy, the ending to the very last season takes a very depressing turn.

Now, I haven't seen either Dinosaurs or Roseanne, so I can't judge those, but still. The ending of Blackadder is just so depressing...

I agree that the final episode is particularly sad, but the rest of the seasons also ended on very depressing notes, but a bit more humorous though. Doesn´t everyone die horribly in Season 1? And There´s also a lot of death in 2 and 3, but also some humour. Goes forth is just bleak as hell.

Yeah St Elsewhere's ending is definitely horrible and depressing. Its one of those endings that poisons all of the good episodes that come before it. Once you see it you just can't go back and watch the show in reruns. The only other comparably bad ending that I can think of, that also poisons the prior work is the last episode of Star Trek Enterprise. I mean really WTF!!!!

BabySinclair:
Look left, then read post. You know what my vote is.

Also, the last lines are via the newsman "And taking a look at the long-range forecast, the continued snow, darkness, and extreme cold. This is Howard Handupme. Goodnight. Goodbye.

LostintheWick:
Agreed. Nothing makes me happier than knowing that f**king baby died horribly :)

What? I'm the Baby, gotta love me!

Ohh... uhh... yeah... sorry about that, little baby. What I meant to say is I STRONGLY DISLIKED you in that one show about your family. But regardless, I still hope you are happy in the afterlife :)

porpoise hork:
Surprised no one has mentioned Alf and what happened to him.. I won't spoil it but that was way worse than both Rosanne and Dinasours.

Or the end of St. Elsewhere not just that they said the entire thing was made up by the kid but the last image of the last show where they displayed the MTM screen with the kitten..

THEY KILLED THE FRICKEN KITTEN!

You Sniper! That's not a Ninja trick; That was a sniper trick! I was going to post that. Damn it.

OT: Do you want to be more bummed out? That cat was a different cat then the one in the original MTM logo. That being said, the original MTM cat died the year St. Elsewhere was cancelled.

DugMachine:
The Roseanne ending got me right in the feels man. THE FEELS

I'd like to throw Scrubs in there. Not so much depressing but I'm not gonna lie I got all teary eyed.

I know! I watched EVERY episode of scrubs, then hearing that sad music at the end.... was like saying goodbye to a best friend.

.hack The Twilight Brigade I guess.

No more ever again :C.

"Sad endings are sad".
Dan - 2012

Wait a second..
T-that's how Dinosaurs ended? REALLY? Oh, god! Right in the childhood!

I'll have to side with Dan on this one. Dinosaurs was supposed to be a comedy. For heaven's sake, they were animatronic dinosaurs! And they often had some serious topics, like the son going to war and not coming back, other dinosaurs dying, extinct species...and the ending. I mean, I know dinosaurs are extinct and all but...did we really have to see that? I don't remember seeing the last episode of The Flintstones where a giant meteor falls on top of Fred's head and he bleeds everywhere and then Barney and the few remaining survivors slowly die because life on Earth as they know it is over.

I would like to add too that those dinosaurs made you feel emotion even though they were just big muppets. To look at their emotions and their eyes and their features...dang! That's kinda what Wall-E did, isn't it? It's really surprising and pleasing.

Roseanne was also sad but you know the producers are going to try to introduce sad elements into the show because, well, real people. That's the reason. It happens with even the best comedies.

Also, that Dinosaurs baby was prehistoric Stewie Griffin. Kinda makes sense.

EDIT: I'm not gonna bring Anime into this because that's another category. But if I had to, the saddest ending for me would be Ranma 1/2, the anime. Because there is none!
I just found out a couple of years ago! And I don't like reading! Screw the manga! *Cries*

How about Lost.

Oh God I just remembered the last episode of One Foot in the Grave...

The show was a comedy about a pensioner who was always at odds with pretty much everyday life while showing how much he put his neighbors and wife at odds as well. Then in the final episode:

Roseanne's was easily the worst finale out of anything I've ever seen.

I'm gonna agree on the Dinosaurs being the most depressed one. I never actually saw that show but for me, the series with the most inferred depressing ending is Alf: The animated series. It was a sort of a prequel, showing you Alf's life on his home world and his day to day life, interacting with friends and family and his girlfriend.

Anyone familiar with the original series, knows that ALF is one of the few who survived, when his planet got destroyed. Everyone featured in the animated show, with the sole exception of Alf, were not gonna survive that event. Fact of the matter was that they were all already dead, since each episode began and ended with a live action segment of Alf, on Earth, reminiscing about past events.

But at very least, they never showed you an episode where the planet actually exploded.

While I'm not quite sure if it falls into the category of depressing, the Babylon 5 finale is a hell of a tear-jerker. I always get a little choked up at the end when

RTK1576:
I never actually watched the ending to Dinosaurs, and the first time I learned of it was on Cracked (I somehow missed it, go figure), but while it does strike me as the most depressing ending to any show I know of, it also strikes me as entirely fitting.

Light-hearted show? Yes, but it was also a show with heavy social commentary. From sexual harrassment to mocking our dependency on television to the deplorable use of religion as a tool to make money, Dinosaurs used all those animatronics to make a point or two. Sometimes the best way to get under people's defenses is to trick them into believing they're watching something harmless.

I rememeber an old Disney cartoon based on the Chicken Little story, where a clever fox uses rumors, mass hysteria, and a guilible sap (Chicken "the sky is falling" Little) to steer an entire farm's worth of fowl into a cave, where he planned on devouring them at his leisure.

Do they escape? No. The fox won and kills them all (yeesh, it was a dark ending for a Disney cartoon). The point of the cartoon was to teach a moral about the dangers of rumors and getting caught up in panic and fear. It was there to teach us a lesson, not the characters.

Dinosaurs was the same way. The ending was to remind US of our potential future, not the dinosaurs. Pretty brave, I'd say.

I'm very glad someone said that; saved me the typing ;)

I think Dan's thinking of the show through some mental filters. What made it so great was precisely how juuuust *not*-lighthearted it was. (Heck, it's not like depressing endings were even out-of-character for the show; see frex 'Family Challenge.')

Dinosaurs was a very seriously-themed show. It just presented its themes with a comedic, frequently sardonic, bent.

(Also, it was awesome and everyone should see it.)

anaphysik:

RTK1576:
I never actually watched the ending to Dinosaurs, and the first time I learned of it was on Cracked (I somehow missed it, go figure), but while it does strike me as the most depressing ending to any show I know of, it also strikes me as entirely fitting.

Light-hearted show? Yes, but it was also a show with heavy social commentary. From sexual harrassment to mocking our dependency on television to the deplorable use of religion as a tool to make money, Dinosaurs used all those animatronics to make a point or two. Sometimes the best way to get under people's defenses is to trick them into believing they're watching something harmless.

I rememeber an old Disney cartoon based on the Chicken Little story, where a clever fox uses rumors, mass hysteria, and a guilible sap (Chicken "the sky is falling" Little) to steer an entire farm's worth of fowl into a cave, where he planned on devouring them at his leisure.

Do they escape? No. The fox won and kills them all (yeesh, it was a dark ending for a Disney cartoon). The point of the cartoon was to teach a moral about the dangers of rumors and getting caught up in panic and fear. It was there to teach us a lesson, not the characters.

Dinosaurs was the same way. The ending was to remind US of our potential future, not the dinosaurs. Pretty brave, I'd say.

I'm very glad someone said that; saved me the typing ;)

I think Dan's thinking of the show through some mental filters. What made it so great was precisely how juuuust *not*-lighthearted it was. (Heck, it's not like depressing endings were even out-of-character for the show; see frex 'Family Challenge.')

Dinosaurs was a very seriously-themed show. It just presented its themes with a comedic, frequently sardonic, bent.

(Also, it was awesome and everyone should see it.)

Don't you remove my filters! It took years to erect those. ...tehehe...erect...

[politics]I'd have to go with the 2012 election.[/politics]

On topic: Firefly for the way it ended, David Tennant's portion of Doctor Who for emotional pull (They basically had three straight hours of sadness, loneliness, and goodbyes!)

Nobody mentioning Requiem for a Dream?
I felt bad for a week!

Scars Unseen:

leviadragon99:
Personally I think some of the most depressing show endings are when there's wasted potential or an unsatisfying conclusion like Lost, or when a series is cancelled before its time like Heroes.

That was a pretty screwed up ending to Dinosaurs though... you do have to wonder why the creators decide to give the ending such thematic whiplash.

I would argue that Heroes probably ran longer than it should have. I still haven't finished season 4. I just lost interest.

Also, better to separate depressing content from lame outcome in this thread. Rosanne's ending was depressing; Lost's ending was lame.

If you consider it as a complete show rather than an unfinished one, Star Gate Universe had a fairly depressing end. Poor Eli...

The problem with Heroes was that it suffered from idiot producer syndrome, someone somewhere along the line saw the success of the first season and told the writers they needed to make it last X more seasons and then when they watered down the plot to fit people started losing interest because the big questions simply weren't getting answered.

Ti0k0:
Nobody mentioning Requiem for a Dream?
I felt bad for a week!

That's a movie. Thus not a series.

I remember seeing the dinosaurs ending as a kid. I didn't understand how a happy show could end so sad so I kinda shut out the ending in my mind for several years...

Babylon 5 is my worst, in melancholic way. Really feels like you've lost something by the series ending and the events that happen. But Roseanne sounds pretty bad.

Turns out the Dinosaurs series finale was put in the middle of the fine season as ep 7. Probably because it was THAT damn depressing. I saw the ep when it aired back in the mid 90's when the show was on syndication. The reruns abruptly stopped after that episode.

I have nothing to contribute to this discussion as I have not seen enough of either of these shows to form an opinion. However I shall say: Thumbs up for Reboot in the background!

Loved Dinosaurs, that ending was pretty shocking but considering all the episodes that dealt with things like; steroid use, racism, native american displacement, and so much more I guess it's not that out of the norm.

I gave up on Rosanne long before the whole lotto and heart attack stuff happened.

I never saw the end of Sliders but I have a feeling it went out with a whimper too. Can anybody fill me in? Is it a contender?

Fr33Lanc3r.007:

Darknacht:
What about M*A*S*H the final episode involves one of the main characters having a psychotic break because while hiding from North Koreans he snaps at a mother to keep her baby quiet so she kills it so that the North Koreans would not hear it.

This! And those North Korean Musicians that Charles took under his wing.....

Admittedly it had downer parts, but it wasn't a depressing ending. All of the major cast at the end returned home and though they were changed, they weren't in a pit of hopelessness that they couldn't recover from. I would call it at best bittersweet and realistic. They were all ecstatic to return home, but it was tempered with events that occurred while they were there, both good and bad.

Endocrom:
Loved Dinosaurs, that ending was pretty shocking but considering all the episodes that dealt with things like; steroid use, racism, native american displacement, and so much more I guess it's not that out of the norm.

I gave up on Rosanne long before the whole lotto and heart attack stuff happened.

I never saw the end of Sliders but I have a feeling it went out with a whimper too. Can anybody fill me in? Is it a contender?

Yea Slider went out with a whimper, not a contender. Nothing really gets resolved. The season before the last one, that is where it should of ended. They combine two people into one for the sake of actors leaving and attempting to have some structure. If I remember correctly the last season didn't have the script writers of the show. Just a lot of bad blood was going on with the producers of the show and the people working on it. The real reason I think the last season is so horrible. Thinking, lets just replace them. We can keep this show going on. Pretty much if you didn't see the end of Sliders, you're better off.

RatherDull:
Funny you mention "Big Bang Guy" because The Big Bang Theory is somewhat of a successor to Roseanne.

Spoiler Alert on final episode of Big Bang:
Indian kid gets deported, skinny weird kid discovers he's an alien, Jewish kid tries to take him home but their rocket explodes at takeoff, neurotic kid develops a pcp habit which turns his brain to jelly and he can only talk about breakfast cerial, and the hot chick marries an abusive trucker and has 13 kids with him.
Then it can be the true successor to Roseanne.

Someone needs to tell R* that happy endings don't suck. Lately they've been trying (a little too hard) to end their games on a sad note. And they're not the only ones.

artanis_neravar:

Firefilm:
Most Depressing Series Ending

The time after your favorite TV show has aired it's last episode is rough. You've lost a close friend, who you might have been with for years. What series really rubbed salt in the wound by having the most depressing ending ever?

Watch Video

"And taking a look at the long range forecast, continued snow, darkness and extreme cold. This is Howard Handupme. Goodnight. Goodbye." is the last spoken line of Dinosaurs.

But my vote still rest with ALF. Instead of being picked up by his alien friends to be taken to his new home world, he is captured by the Alien Task Force and taken to be dissected.

yeah, but he gets out of it in the end (or I guess rather the beginning). So I cant really say its that sad.

mykalwane:

Endocrom:

Yea Slider went out with a whimper, not a contender. Nothing really gets resolved. The season before the last one, that is where it should of ended. They combine two people into one for the sake of actors leaving and attempting to have some structure. If I remember correctly the last season didn't have the script writers of the show. Just a lot of bad blood was going on with the producers of the show and the people working on it. The real reason I think the last season is so horrible. Thinking, lets just replace them. We can keep this show going on. Pretty much if you didn't see the end of Sliders, you're better off.

Gawd. the whole show went to hell after they killed off .....a certain character.
And then the kidnapping of....a certain other character, which we see later on in a episode, fused/combined with some alien tech, only to die?......i gave up on Sliders quite fast after they started to replace...almost everybody.

Also, the ending of ...nobody knows this one, because everybody hates it i guess...
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040.

What happens with Priss, standing naked in the desert, with no means of contacting anyone?
It just ends there....

- Dungeons and Dragons (never finished)
- Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. (never finished)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here