Natural Selection 2 Review

Natural Selection 2 Review

Nothing teaches you the importance of teamwork like being part of an alien hivemind.

Read Full Article

Didn't Yahtzee once say he wanted to see a game like this once?

Mixing RTS and FPS elements into one game?

Best game I've played this year, can most certainly see this taking over my FPS "slot" for the next year or so.

Adore games that actually require teamwork.

The game mechanic that tells players that cooperation means the difference between victory and defeat is.. well.. victory and defeat.

Players who don't cooperate well tend to wind up on teams that lose -- because their team is essentially operating at a player disadvantage. It doesn't take long before these players either weed themselves out or figure out that they need to co-operate to win.

A warning though.. the skill-curve on this game is pretty steep. If you're kick ass at other FPS's, you can expect to be a bit above average in NS, but not a lot more than that to start out with because unlike most FPS's, as a shooty-type marine, you start by dealing with targets that are smaller than you, faster than you, with more maneuverability than you.. and the brains of a real person behind them. And they eventually evolve into things that are slower, bigger, and a hell of a lot tougher than you -- like your standard boss monster.. but again.. with a human brain running it.

Switch to the alien side, and you have to recalibrate to master extreme speed, melee damage, and using the walls and ceiling to your advantage. The average marine is a bit tougher than the starting alien class, and you really can't withstand his weapons at all, so you have to use your speed and maneuverability to make sure you don't. Eventually you'll be able to evolve to different forms, each with their own movement method and attack style. One class flies, one class teleports, etc.

On the bright side, if you typically suck at FPS.. you're not going to be that much worse than the average player either, because all these differences kind of compress the range of skill you'll find, and the teamwork aspect is strong enough that it means you can be very useful to the team in other ways, even if your K/D ratio tends to be negative (like mine).

I really want this game, but I really doubt my laptop can handle it. It looks amazing though.

Ham Blitz:
I really want this game, but I really doubt my laptop can handle it. It looks amazing though.

Isn't it just another source game? Source is so ancient by now that you shouldn't have a problem. I mean, Portal 2 zooms along at 200 FPS for me if I unlock the fps.

This looks interesting, but I don't think personally I'm good enough at games to even attempt playing with other people in such a fashion...

Metalhandkerchief:

Ham Blitz:

Isn't it just another source game? Source is so ancient by now that you shouldn't have a problem. I mean, Portal 2 zooms along at 200 FPS for me if I unlock the fps.

Nope. They dropped source a few years ago in favor of developing their own engine. This also means that the game itself doesn't run as smooth as you'd expect from a similar-looking source game. Although they've probably improved the framerate since I played in the alpha (or beta?), it still felt like my maxed out rig didn't quite do it on medium to high graphics.

The game definitely has some optimization issues.

But it runs well for me, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. There' something magical about getting cloaking on an onos (giant rhinoceros-looking motherfucker) and ambushing a pack of marines. I mean, they won't fall for it twice, but the first time you show up right in the middle of a group of four marines? Glorious.

PieBrotherTB:
This looks interesting, but I don't think personally I'm good enough at games to even attempt playing with other people in such a fashion...

Community is actually very good. It being so strongly focused on team-play, most teams do go out of their way to help new players get their feet under them, if only because it means they've got one more person helping to build stuff up.

This game has a very high learning curve, and will punish you for "Hero" style of play.

It is a team game where the proper teamwork of 2 people can be more powerful than 5 players going for kills.

It is intensely satisfying when you get on a team with a good commander and proper teamwork, but the trek there is not an easy one.

This reminds me a TON of the free-to-play game Tremulous. It almost looks identical in terms of gameplay.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous

It was finally finished? Wow. I remember my friend harping on about this in 2010.

Kwil:

PieBrotherTB:

Community is actually very good. It being so strongly focused on team-play, most teams do go out of their way to help new players get their feet under them, if only because it means they've got one more person helping to build stuff up.

Really, the community (so far) is one of the best things about the game. With only a few rare exceptions, they're communicative, helpful, and friendly.

Finally a review that gets it. Been in the alpha and saw this grow, it went through a few changes but nothing more than revamps of the UI and balance. It was well worth pre-ordering it back then.

I highly recommend this to RTS fans but make sure you get the commander spot, FPS fans will love you when you manage the resources properly.

And for anyone who remembers the half-life mod, still has people playing.

Dem Mech-like marine machines are AWESOME! get 2-3 of them, with the rest of the marines chain repairing them , and the marine team will rape the aliens easy peasy.

Thedutchjelle:
This reminds me a TON of the free-to-play game Tremulous. It almost looks identical in terms of gameplay.

Yeah, that game is the reason why I bought this game. Never got to try the original Natural Selection, but I'm guessing that was pretty similar as well.

It was worth the money. Especially considering I payed half the price of the Deluxe Edition by pre-ordering through their homepage.

Throughout that entire video, I was looking in the upper corner for "InflatableBeerTent"

Sadly, I don't think I'm in there, or I was a commander...

Thedutchjelle:

Hmmm... didn't NS1 come before Tremulous?

tmande2nd:
Didn't Yahtzee once say he wanted to see a game like this once?

Mixing RTS and FPS elements into one game?

There's been a few games like it before, but this has more emphasis on tactical leading than strategy that the Sacred series and Nuclear Dawn had.

NS2 is aiming to be a competitive shooter and it is quite fun to play, but I feel that the load times as well as marine early game need to be fixed (marines do not scale downwards at all due to being required to build marine buildings).

Metalhandkerchief:

Ham Blitz:

No, this game runs on it's own custom engine, and yes, I doubt his laptop can handle it considering my mid-range, year old gaming laptop can barely squeeze 25 FPS out of this game at any given moment, with huge ass dips and stuttering if any flashy special effects go off.

looks good. but i think i wait till its on special. xmas is not far away anymore. steam has always their special sales with pretty much every game reduced up to 75% off.

For those wondering if they can run it, be warned that NS2 is way more CPU-intensive than most games.

I don't even care about this game much.. but i learned something that make me happy, because it was driving me nutz..

Only in the Aliens the Directors cut, do you see the sentry gun scene.. I watched it on tv twice recently or parts of it, and didn't see that scene..

so thank you!

Metalrocks:
looks good. but i think i wait till its on special. xmas is not far away anymore. steam has always their special sales with pretty much every game reduced up to 75% off.

Guarantee it won't be more than 15%, at best. It's a new game and the devs already experienced no.1 game on steam in terms of sales, so I don't think it will be any higher than 25% (if it even goes on sale), which still would make it more expensive than the 4 pack currently is.

Commanding in this game can be both amazing and terrible. Watching one skulk solo an exo-suit makes me want to bearhug the guy through my internet connection. Watching an entire pack of skulks run down a corridor one-by-one and get chewed up by a couple of assault rifles makes me want to strangle my whole damn team.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here