Movie Trailers: World War Z - Teaser Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

...At least if it flops, they can just edit the zombies out for scarabs and make it a new "The Mummy" movie.

Meh this would have worked better as a mini series instead of a movie there just too much going on in the book to compress into a hour and half or two hour movie.
Which mean we prolly wont get the awesome scenes of the Russians retaking the motherland with t-34 tanks and human wave attacks or the US army advancing in massive line up and down the north american coast killing zeds with civil war style line formations and fulsides

Plus the cgi Zeds look weird

The CGI in this movie is somehow worse than in I am Legend... No me gusta.

Also, War of The Worlds with zombies... I thnk I'll skip this movie, or watch it when it comes out for TV, just for the lulz.

Agree with all the comments so far.

It looks like a great cheesy popcorn action movie, with no relationship to the book... except that the zombie hoard CGI is atrocious.

Im normally quite quick to defend CGI in movies, especially when people claim they can "always spot CGI because it looks fake", but those effects look plasticky, they destroy any sense that there is any character in there, and the physics look blatantly broken. It looks more like somebody spliced in scenes of the bad guy from a superhero claymation movie.

Ronack:
Most expensive zombie movie flop to date incoming. This isn't a Zombie movie. It's football players gone mad and piling up everywhere.

..... thats kind of hilarious in how accurate it seems to be, considering the several shots of cg zombie dogpiles.

Now i cant help but imagining them all going HUT HUT HUT as they jump on one another.

*Raises hand and points weakly at screen* Wh-Why was that zombie horde moving like water would? And why are they forming what appears to be a living tower...Like those Ants from Crystal Sku...This just reminded me of THAT...*Sigh* When I first heard about this, I was apprehensive, but was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but this? It looks like one of those films like Trans-Bloody-Morphers! MAybe this will be the final nail in the coffin on the recent Zombie craze? That'd be nice, right? We can put it in the basement next to Warfighter on the "What were they thinking shelf".

After watching this Trailer, there are a few things that come to mind.
The first being 'OMG Zerg Rush'.
After watching it a second time with a much more serious face on, I gotta say. I'm a little disappointed.
Now, I haven't read the book (It seems to get mentioned a lot in this thread so I might go get it) but even without that as a reference, this seems like a massive waste of my money.

Big Budget films just aren't what they used to be... There doesn't seem to be a great plot and it seems that all the movie has to offer is a ton of CGI Zombie Tsunamis.

Dirty Apple:
I'm of the same opinion as everyone else here. Terrible waste of an amazingly fresh take on the zombie genre. World War Z is THE zombie story you recommend to non-zombie lovers.

The only, I repeat only, way the original could have been honoured would be a 10 to 20 episode mini-series. Take the best chapters from the book, and let them tell the story. A few of my recommendations would have been 3 centered on the american soldier, the decimation of the russian troops, the grown feral child, the K-9 corps and the stranded pilot.

Personally, I couldn't imagine a real WWZ film without an interview from the French soldier who worked the sewers. That is some hardcore stuff right there.

rembrandtqeinstein:
Interview with Max Brooks (author of World War Z) saying how he hates fast zomibes. Way to sell out and give up creative control Mr. Brooks.

Max Brooks: "Fast zombies are gay".

So THAT'S why they're piling into massive man mountains.

All I can say after seeing the trailer is that this cannot end well.

Looks like the director saw news about this study and thought to himself: "This is sooo cool! We should do a zombie movie that focuses around this one thing!"

MarsProbe:

I'd also hope that they'd cover some of the "people acting like zombies" parts from the book - they had a name something along the line of "Quinceys" in the book, I can't remember exactly.

The term you're looking for is "Quisling", and was in fact not invented by Brooks.

I really liked the book and I am very much looking forward to the movie. Summer blockbuster?

DJ_DEnM:
...At least if it flops, they can just edit the zombies out for scarabs and make it a new "The Mummy" movie.

Or arachnids and make a modern day Starship Troopers movie

What a stupid looking trailer. I look forward to this because of how BAD it's going to probably be.

Sigh, I still think they should've made World War Z into a tv series or something, the structure is perfect for it. Sort of.

What the HELL is this crap? I was expecting something at least SIMILAR to what Max Brooks wrote not another goddamn summer action flick... Goddammit Hollywood you are getting STUPIDER AND STUPIDER. And I was so pleased with Wreck It Ralph too... dammit you disappoint me so.

Withard:
I will defend 28 Days later as it WAS quite frightening. The scene when they run through the window was genuinely horrible as well as in 28 Weeks Later when they were running over the hills after Carlye and he left his wife behind.

That opening scene from 28 Weeks Later... best case "for" fast zombies I've ever seen. No time to think, no time to plan, barely any time to react. That scene with slow zombies would have been "Oh no! Let's go wait and plan for a few hours before they get here!" Fast zombies, its just pure brilliance.

World War Z, however, is not a mad rush. It's slow decay. The only time that a barrier is overrun in a manner of seconds is the time when it's humans attacking it.

Why? Why license the name? It probably cost the studio a heap, and they haven't used a single thing from the book. Even the whole Solanum thing (you know, the zombie disease the entire thing is based off) has been thrown out the window.

Bad CGI is BAD.

Also holding out the tiniest bit of hope that maybe the movie just looks like shit because of the marketing team trying to appeal to a broader audience by making it look like generic zombie shoot'em up.

It's a small hope, but one I will illogically cling to with all of my being.

I actually hoped this would turn out good. Silly me; of course they couldn't make it good. That would require them to take the book seriously. And who does that, it's a book about zombies right - so screw it, just have Brad Pitt run around shooting things

As i recall, world war z was more about how people where acting around and in the zombie end of the world. With panic and people acting in fear being the killer not the zombies themselfs. This kind of looks like 28 days later and im going to say this now I HATE CHILDREN IN FILMS. No not all children but a lot of them.

DJ_DEnM:

Funny! And the funniest part is that once you mentioned the scarabs I realized that that was exactly what the scenes of 'gushing' zombies reminded me of. I award you 5 Internet points, sir. :)

OT: I've never read or even heard of World War Z before clicking this trailer. The idea of Brad Pitt being in a Zombie movie amuses me. The "You want me to leave my family" line made me cringe inside, though. It's...lame.

The zombie 'waves' looked like the inevitable eventual extreme that zombie movies have been moving towards--who's going to make them faster than anyone else, if you take my meaning.

I'm not worried about the CGI. The movie won't be released until June, so they've months to improve on it. SURELY everyone knows enough about Star Wars history to know what UTTERLY PUTREFYING pieces of crap the Original Trilogy's movie trailers were.

Is the book WWZ really that good? Or is it a series of books?

I'll Wiki it. But is it that good a read, folks?

I've never read the book, but I have to say this trailer left me unimpressed. It seemed rather generic and a cash in using a famous star. It also told me the whole story and how it would end. I think as other posters above have said, that the whole tone needed to change and when I was watching the shots of the zombies dying, it appeared as if they were waves breaking on the shore.

Hey, did they remake the Starship Troopers scene with the horde of bugs crawling over the wall? Why do the bugs have only two legs now? And look faker?

Oh, it's supposed to be WWZ. Well. Fuck.

Seriously though, tell me those zombie hordes don't look like the Battle of Whiskey Oupost, without even improving on the decade old CGI there:

Fail Movie doesn't read source materials. WWZ is a book about zombies, NOT swarms of humanoid alien locusts.

I guess we'll see where it goes, I might go watch it when it hits the budget screen but definitely not on opening night.

rembrandtqeinstein:
Interview with Max Brooks (author of World War Z) saying how he hates fast zomibes. Way to sell out and give up creative control Mr. Brooks.

Wait, that guy actually used "gay" to summarise his problems with fast zombies? As an insult?

Okay, fuck that guy. His dreams can't be pissed on fast enough now. I sincerely hope that Hollywood screwed him over for this.

Furbyz:

Dirty Apple:
I'm of the same opinion as everyone else here. Terrible waste of an amazingly fresh take on the zombie genre. World War Z is THE zombie story you recommend to non-zombie lovers.

The only, I repeat only, way the original could have been honoured would be a 10 to 20 episode mini-series. Take the best chapters from the book, and let them tell the story. A few of my recommendations would have been 3 centered on the american soldier, the decimation of the russian troops, the grown feral child, the K-9 corps and the stranded pilot.

Personally, I couldn't imagine a real WWZ film without an interview from the French soldier who worked the sewers. That is some hardcore stuff right there.

Yeah, that was a pretty compelling section. The juxtaposition of the american and european solutions brought some real variety to the story. It kept it out of the "Go USA!" arena and showed how it was a complete global disaster. I can't recommend this book enough. The movie well, I guess we'll see.

Fucking horrible... I don't see anything resembling stuff from the book, and I don't want to see action in 'real time' either. They should have used flashbacks or whatever. The story as it is (in the book) looked to me as if they could have just filmed what the book describes, but no, suddenly Brad Pitt comes in to play as a War of the Worlds' Tom Cruise character.

Bah

I am completely unfamiliar with the book, didn't even know it existed.

When I watched the trailer, I watched it without any knowledge of what it's about.

I didn't know what the hell was going on, just lots of action and explosions and people running around. It looks horrible because there appears to be no story in this movie at all. It's like they stuffed every action cliche and as much shock value in the trailer as possible, with zero context. I didn't even realize this was a movie with zombies. I thought all the people climbing the wall and falling down the stairs were in an extreme panic trying to escape something that the trailer was refusing to show for some reason.

Too bad Leonardo Dicaprio didn't win the rights to the movie. I could see him as "The Interviewer" in the same style as his character in "Shutter Island"

Chairman Miaow:
Generic doesn't even begin to cut it. What has Brad Pitt lowered himself to this time?

A very generic disaster-type movie, it seems.

I have to admit, this movie looks like its going to make me very sad (of course, real judgement reserved until it comes out). It doesn't even look like a good action movie, just a boring "navy seal hero with family to defend" type movie, which can be made fun, but this movie doesn't even seem to manage that if its as dull as this trailer.

In summary...bleh.

invadergir:
Too bad Leonardo Dicaprio didn't win the rights to the movie. I could see him as "The Interviewer" in the same style as his character in "Shutter Island"

Agreed; after seeing Inception, I have a great deal of respect for DiCaprio - he could pull off the book in the style intended. Hell, I wouldn't have minded even if DiCaprio was one of the 'main' characters in a story - I still think he would have applied brains and adapted the book well.

rembrandtqeinstein:

Since Brooks sold the book to Crown Publishing he has precisely bugger all say in who they sell the rights to and to what end. He is in much the same position as Alan Moore with Watchmen, he can express an opinion as much as he wants, but ultimately he's singing to the wind.

What's really sad is that Leonardo DiCaprio and his production company nearly bought the rights, this film could have been made by the same people who made The Aviator, Public Enemies and Shutter Island.

Feel free to be depressed now...

Gee, the letter "Z" sure is popular these days. Personally I prefer games about "B".

Copper Zen:
Funny! And the funniest part is that once you mentioned the scarabs I realized that that was exactly what the scenes of 'gushing' zombies reminded me of. I award you 5 Internet points, sir. :)

Completely off topic, but that's always how I've wanted the flood to be portrayed in Halo.

A solid mass of rotting flesh, completely room filling and composed of recognisably human (or Elite etc) parts, literally clawing over itself as it comes to get you

Much better (worse?) than the space zombies we get, but I'm not sure a Pg13 rating would survive it...

So....

Typical white male lead, protecting a typical white family in a typical American city in a typical zombie movie.

Typical.

Aside from completely dumping on an amazing book and betraying everything that made it good (even if this defies all expectations and ends up not being awful it still won't even resemble the book) and looking terrible there's something that I can't help but notice every time I watch this trailer (I've watched it multiple times).

I'm referring to the CGI and I'm not talking about the piss poor integration. I'm talking about how packed in they seem to be without touching each other if that makes any sense at all. One particular section of the trailer gnaws at me every time. Watch 1:54-1:56 again, the section where the running zombies are tripping and spilling over one another. Before they really start to stumble it looks like they're fully 3-dimensional creatures yet they're somehow heavily bunched together yet not touching at all whilst running properly, then when they do trip they continue to have this effect despite now touching each other and managing to feel like they're not really touching each other and while spilling down and over end up looking like "flowing water" as another poster put it.

Also, the way they're climbing near the end. How does the fuck does that work? It worked in the book because the shambling variety of zombie is very slow and doesn't move a whole lot. If one goes down and other zombies are atop it then it's probably not going to be able to do much. But those zombies? Those insane spastically flailing, rapidly moving failures? They're going to be flipping their shit, they're not going to be down for long at all, and being so uncoordinated they're not going to be able to coordinate a massive pyramid for themselves to climb up.

Also, Why the fuck are they inhumanely fast? Not even sprinting humans are going to move at such a rate, what the fuck is that? I guess one MIGHT be able to explain this with what I'm going to post below, but that wouldn't really work too well since strength doesn't play a very big role in a person's sprinting/running capabilities.

thiosk:
I thought the propensity for zombies to pile up into climbing structures was a little silly; they move way too fast. The WWZ writer layed out what I consider the definitive zombie rules, and these look like insane rage zombies rather than proper WWZ zombies.

In WWZ, zombies had 100% of the strength of the former human at their disposal, but they would in effect weaken continuously until they decayed over the next decade (at least, in warmer climates). I'm fairly certain that the tendency for them to pile up a bit was mentioned, but crawiling up a DAM in a zombie pile? Puhleeze.

I'm not 100% on the whole dogpile climbing thing either (though I 100% agree with the dam section of the trailer being totally retarded, even in the book it was just talking about them piling up to the height of small structures, not literally looking like ants climbing up a wall), even with what I said regarding the slow zombies being the only ones likely to be able to do this because of their sluggish nature it seems like the pile would quickly end up being too steep for them.

You also mentioned their strength. I recall the section from both the Zombie Survival Guide (it's written in a 100% serious manner and acts like a real survival guide and also contains some short stories, it's brilliant for those who haven't read it), which is essentially a sister book to WWZ, where it details a zombie's strength (I actually memorized this tiny bit because for zombies not only was it cool but it was, in my opinion, fucking brilliant), stating that, yes, a zombie has 100% of the strength of what it would have had as a human, but in practice was far more effective because human's have twitch reflex muscles, meaning when we exert force (eg. push, grab, etc) we initially use a great amount of pressure which rapidly weakens, however as a zombie they use their muscles to their maximum capabilities at all times, however doing this essentially tears muscles apart, causing zombies to grow weaker, leaving old zombies somewhat ineffectual, but it means that even something as seemingly harmless as a frail elderly person who has been freshly turned is a serious threat.

Geo Da Sponge:

rembrandtqeinstein:

Wait, that guy actually used "gay" to summarize his problems with fast zombies? As an insult?

Okay, fuck that guy. His dreams can't be pissed on fast enough now. I sincerely hope that Hollywood screwed him over for this.

First off that interview was from a fair few years back when it was far more socially acceptable and common to use "gay" as a stand in for "lame". Secondly your response is rather zealous, regardless of whether or not this sort of statement is no longer considered OK in the public eye your idea of punishment to crime is skewed to an absurd degree. I say this as a supporter of gay rights, a close friend to many gays, someone who has gay family members and as someone who has always thought that calling something "gay" makes you sound like a tool, though I'd only rank people who still say it alongside dumb-asses who say "YOLO" and "swag". Let's also not forget the fact that some gay people also use the word in this context as well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here