Unskippable: Armored Core V

Pages PREV 1 2

Don Reba:
A serious discussion about flying tanks.

Wicky_42:
Counter-nitpick - 186kN would balance 182.28 metric tons.

A metric ton is 1000 kg. Force, measured in Newtons, is mass, measured in kilograms, times acceleration. Graviational acceleration is 9.81 m/s2, so 186 kN would balance 186,000/9.81 kg or about 19 tons.

Wicky_42:
The F-35 Lightning II has a loaded weight of 22.47 tons.
Its powerplant, the PW F135, produces 125kN of thrust, going up to 191kN when afterburning.
So it has over 100kN of thrust left over to actually fly on.

F-35 has a thrust to weight ratio of 0.87, which means that it cannot accelerate directly upwards (F-22 can). For a plane, this is ok due to its aerodynamic properties, but a tank has no lift at all and therefore requires a more powerful engine to stay in the air.

Damn, you are correct. Serves me right for trying to remember physics in the evenings. Oh well, it all looked so promising - visions of skies filled with hurtling tanks.

So, we need 60*9.81/125 jet engines.
I make that to be 4.7, so 5 in order to make a tank float. That's totally possible, right? Make it 6 for balance and to carry the mass of fuel needed, throw in another two to make it able to go up a bit too... ok boys, we're back in business!

Next logical step: orbital drop tanks!

Good to see From Software's design logic and translation hasn't budged an inch in 14 years.
Read: Awkward, dull, with the occasional bits of unintentional hilarity thrown in.

(and this is coming from an old fan of Armored Core)

It's sad that not even half of the stuff you see in the intro is delved in the game. (Im looking at you desert scenes)

But then again the storyline never was Armored Core's strong suite ... ever.

Still as for 2:35 , why yes good sirs, certain head parts do "open up" whenever you use the superweapons. Most of them are the head parts with names of famous knights or the round.

clonezero:

Depends on what game you're talking about. For Answer (and to a lesser extent, Last Raven) had a pretty good storyline even by non-Armored-Core standards.

Still doesn't change the fact that Armored Core V probably has the weakest/most convoluted story of the lot (and this is coming from somebody who's played Armored Core since the Armored Core 2)

Rocket tanks are totally a thing:

Easily the best Unskippable episode in months.

I enjoy almost all of them, but this one actually had me laughing out loud a few times.
"couldn't decide what weapons to bring so I just brought all of them..."

DanHibiki:
Rocket tanks are totally a thing:

Sweet!

Aeshi:

clonezero:

Depends on what game you're talking about. For Answer (and to a lesser extent, Last Raven) had a pretty good storyline even by non-Armored-Core standards.

Still doesn't change the fact that Armored Core V probably has the weakest/most convoluted story of the lot (and this is coming from somebody who's played Armored Core since the Armored Core 2)

Looking at it I do have to agree with you, but for me LR did it better in comparison to Zoe4/FA. ( my dislike for it ain't all that obvious isn't it?)The ingame encyclopedia, among other things, is what did it for me. Overall though I based what I said on how engaging I think the storyline was and LR did it best or me.

Most people I know liked AC3/SL the most though, but I think it had more to do with machineguns not being (comparitively) shitty back thenand probably the lack of heat management as well.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here