Trailers: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - End of an Era Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - End of an Era Trailer

Dragons sure do hate Japan. Maybe it's the hair?

Watch Video

Soooo... all of these amazing wizards can't stop that sky dragon with their amazingly square looking spell, but in the end our 4, 5 or 6 heroes can?

Sigh... Guess I'll replay FF VII or IX again.

It costs me nothing to admit that I was actually choking back tears a bit at that.
S-E, you should just go into making movies. No dialogue or voices, just art in e-motion (see what I did there?).

Oh, this is a trailer for Realm Reborn? Well......fuck, how is this going to make sense to anyone that hasn't played FFXIV?
Can a XIV player please explain what's going on here?

um ... ok, well it looked neat ....

but wtf just happened? and why should i care 'not Bahamut' is wrecking 9999 flavors of shit?

some context is sorely needed here

GenGenners:
It costs me nothing to admit that I was actually choking back tears a bit at that.
S-E, you should just go into making movies. No dialogue or voices, just art in e-motion (see what I did there?).

Oh, this is a trailer for Realm Reborn? Well......fuck, how is this going to make sense to anyone that hasn't played FFXIV?
Can a XIV player please explain what's going on here?

Here's a summary. It's just as confusing as you'd expect from a FF storyline.

On topic, they've proven time and again that they can make a good CGI video, and this one is no exception. They've also made a number of lofty promises about 2.0, and released some pretty concept art and alpha videos. But as someone who was hyped to the moon about this game from the time it was announced until the time it launched, and then experienced a slow but painful growing disappointment in what it ended up being, they're going to have to do a hell of a lot more to win back my trust.

I'll definitely play it for the free trial month, but I'm sure as hell not going to get hyped for it like I did before.

Lunar Templar:

but wtf just happened? and why should i care 'not Bahamut' is wrecking 9999 flavors of shit?

"Not Bahamut"? This is a Final Fantasy game, you silly person, it's literally Bahamut. Again.

Anyway, the reason you should care is that he's destroying the world so that FFXIV can be remade from the ground up, and it will hopefully be playable this time. If nothing else, you have to give SE credit for trying.

I posted a summary of the XIV story for context in a previous post, but here it is again if you're interested.

EmperorSubcutaneous:

Lunar Templar:

"Not Bahamut"? This is a Final Fantasy game, you silly person, it's literally Bahamut. Again.

Anyway, the reason you should care is that he's destroying the world so that FFXIV can be remade from the ground up, and it will hopefully be playable this time. If nothing else, you have to give SE credit for trying.

I posted a summary of the XIV story for context in a previous post, but here it is again if you're interested.

could have been Tiamat, you know 'Bahamut but evil', but since they never said in the trailer, who knows.

um, .... why is Bahamut doing Tiamats job of wrecking shit?

EmperorSubcutaneous:

Lunar Templar:

Technically, no I don't have to give them any credit whatsoever. They convinced people to spend money on a pile of crap that they promised to fix but never did, and then they later opt to close down and replace with a new game. Will they be asking people to pay for the new game, too? Why should I respect this decision when it's only a decision they had to make because they made such a terrible game to start with? >_>

And this trailer does nothing to convince me they learned from the last game, either. It's the same-old. Flashy CGI trailer with lots of pretty stuff in it, but no substance or context to any of what is happening so there's no reason for me to CARE about what's happening. And still no footage of the game itself in the trailer. I know this is becoming a "thing" but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I want to see the game I'm playing before I play it, and I can't be alone in that sentiment. So why is this okay?

Holy Crap! The Dothraki were right after all, the moon is a giant dragon's egg!

Anyways, yeah, five minutes of eye candy. My interest is piqued, though I had no idea what the hell was happening during that entire thing.

I'm interested, so i'm going to be patient and just watch how well this game turns out until to decide whether to play it or not now.

Even though I like the dragons Bahamut and Tiamat to no end...

...still not interested in getting this game. At all. Ever. Though watching Tiamat/Bahamut wreck an entire planet's shit never gets old.

Lunar Templar:

The world of FF14 just ended, now they're rebooting the game on a new world by literally killing everyone. And making the mistake of charging a subscription fee, thus killing the likelihood that anyone new will sub.

CriticKitten:

EmperorSubcutaneous:

Lunar Templar:

Technically, no I don't have to give them any credit whatsoever. They convinced people to spend money on a pile of crap that they promised to fix but never did, and then they later opt to close down and replace with a new game. Will they be asking people to pay for the new game, too? Why should I respect this decision when it's only a decision they had to make because they made such a terrible game to start with? >_>

And this trailer does nothing to convince me they learned from the last game, either. It's the same-old. Flashy CGI trailer with lots of pretty stuff in it, but no substance or context to any of what is happening so there's no reason for me to CARE about what's happening. And still no footage of the game itself in the trailer. I know this is becoming a "thing" but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I want to see the game I'm playing before I play it, and I can't be alone in that sentiment. So why is this okay?

Read the link someone else posted and you'll find the context you seek. This trailer is actually more of a final cutscene for the end of the Seventh Umbral Era story arc.

Nieroshai:

Lunar Templar:

The world of FF14 just ended, now they're rebooting the game on a new world by literally killing everyone. And making the mistake of charging a subscription fee, thus killing the likelihood that anyone new will sub.

And if it was F2P, you'd also complain that it was 'just another microtransaction-based pay-to-win MMO, like every other game being made these days.'
What magical method of funding their game do you suggest they take?

CriticKitten:

I can't believe I'm actually defending SE, but here goes.

First of all, they did fix FFXIV 1.0 as much as they were able. They changed a lot about it since its original launch. The main problem was that it ran on an extremely shitty engine, which is the first thing they're changing about 2.0. From what we've seen, the new engine is better--though that honestly wouldn't be hard to pull off.

People who subscribed to the first game for 3 months since it went P2P will get a lifelong discount on 2.0. Unfortunately it will still require a monthly fee, which will drive off a ton of potential customers. Also, everyone who previously played the game will get to try it out for free for a month when it comes out, whenever that will be.

Finally, this is mislabeled as a trailer. As someone else said, it's more like a final cutscene for 2.0. It went up right after the servers closed down after the final event. 2.0 has just begun alpha testing, and there are only 2 races and 1 area available right now since they're just testing the basics. So any gameplay that currently exists in the game might be totally different when it launches.

That's assuming they actually listen to alpha and beta feedback this time, of course.

GenGenners:
Read the link someone else posted and you'll find the context you seek. This trailer is actually more of a final cutscene for the end of the Seventh Umbral Era story arc.

EmperorSubcutaneous:
Finally, this is mislabeled as a trailer. As someone else said, it's more like a final cutscene for 2.0. It went up right after the servers closed down after the final event. 2.0 has just begun alpha testing, and there are only 2 races and 1 area available right now since they're just testing the basics. So any gameplay that currently exists in the game might be totally different when it launches.

Yes, that's precisely the problem.

When I have to go look up the story arc of a game because its trailer revealed absolutely nothing about it, that means the trailer has failed. And that remains true whether you call it a trailer (which it is, since part of the point of making it is to attract new customers) or a cutscene.

If you're trying to draw a new audience but give them no context, they have no reason to be invested or care. I don't think it makes any sense to have to look up a synopsis of the game's entire story just to understand a trailer/cutscene. That generally hasn't been true of most other MMOs, and this is something that SE has always face-planted on. They need to give people a reason to care, otherwise they're going to see the FF14 logo and say "oh, isn't this an ad for that shitty MMO? lol w/e, don't care now" and move on.

So basically: if this is Square's attempt to get people interested in their MMO again, it is very likely not going to work. They have a VERY bad reputation to get over, and 6 minutes of flashy CGI isn't going to bridge that gap.

People who subscribed to the first game for 3 months since it went P2P will get a lifelong discount on 2.0. Unfortunately it will still require a monthly fee, which will drive off a ton of potential customers. Also, everyone who previously played the game will get to try it out for free for a month when it comes out, whenever that will be.

So basically, yes, they will still expect people to pay for this new game.

Which instantly screws them over, because very few people (except FF's most dedicated fans, i.e. the folks who were likely already playing the first game) are going to run to play another FF14 after the DISMAL reviews and infamous internet reputation of the first game released under the FF14 name. Like it or not, they have a nasty rep to overcome.

Look, it may well be a great game, but that's not what's important. What matters is them marketing the game to outsiders. And as for me, I might have even given them a shot if they had switched to a F2P system so I could try it out and see if they've made a game worth playing this time....but I'm absolutely not paying an upfront and monthly fee on a game which is proudly declaring itself as the spiritual sequel to one of the worst MMOs in recent years. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this. Very likely there's a lot of folks who didn't even click the link to look at the trailer because of the game's name alone.

Face it: they burned a lot of folks with their last game, so it's up to them to convince them to come back.

"Please pay monthly, like you did with the last game! We swear we got it right this time, honest!" is not a good way to convince them to come back.

Neither is "Look at our flashy CGI trailer/cutscene and pretentious soundtrack, none of which you'll understand unless you've read the plot synopsis for our old game!".

CriticKitten:
When I have to go look up the story arc of a game because its trailer revealed absolutely nothing about it, that means the trailer has failed. And that remains true whether you call it a trailer (which it is, since part of the point of making it is to attract new customers) or a cutscene.

No actually, the point is to say "here's what happened next, thank you and goodbye for now" to the people who played the final event. It's not a trailer. People are just posting it everywhere as if it were. The real trailer is going to come much later on, and that is where they're going to try to convince people to play.

As for the rest of your post, you're preaching to the choir. They haven't convinced me to play again with their new video (though like I said, that wasn't their intent), and they're going to have to pull a pretty spectacular turnabout in order to impress me, especially since I've been playing GW2 for the past 3 months. And I don't like that they're still charging a monthly fee, and I hope that they have a short open beta or some beta weekends for people who didn't buy the game in the first place.

This trailer had me excited for a moment until I realized that

A: This was an MMO
B: Square's CGI are usually way better than the games
C: Holy World of Warcraft Cataclysm Batman

This was like a total cataclysm

CriticKitten:

EmperorSubcutaneous:

Lunar Templar:

CriticKitten:

GenGenners:

EmperorSubcutaneous:

Yes, that's precisely the problem.

If you're trying to draw a new audience but give them no context, they have no reason to be invested or care. I don't think it makes any sense to have to look up a synopsis of the game's entire story just to understand a trailer/cutscene. That generally hasn't been true of most other MMOs, and this is something that SE has always face-planted on. They need to give people a reason to care, otherwise they're going to see the FF14 logo and say "oh, isn't this an ad for that shitty MMO? lol w/e, don't care now" and move on.

So basically: if this is Square's attempt to get people interested in their MMO again, it is very likely not going to work. They have a VERY bad reputation to get over, and 6 minutes of flashy CGI isn't going to bridge that gap.

So basically, yes, they will still expect people to pay for this new game.

Which instantly screws them over, because very few people (except FF's most dedicated fans, i.e. the folks who were likely already playing the first game) are going to run to play another FF14 after the DISMAL reviews and infamous internet reputation of the first game released under the FF14 name. Like it or not, they have a nasty rep to overcome.

Look, it may well be a great game, but that's not what's important. What matters is them marketing the game to outsiders. And as for me, I might have even given them a shot if they had switched to a F2P system so I could try it out and see if they've made a game worth playing this time....but I'm absolutely not paying an upfront and monthly fee on a game which is proudly declaring itself as the spiritual sequel to one of the worst MMOs in recent years. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this. Very likely there's a lot of folks who didn't even click the link to look at the trailer because of the game's name alone.

Face it: they burned a lot of folks with their last game, so it's up to them to convince them to come back.

"Please pay monthly, like you did with the last game! We swear we got it right this time, honest!" is not a good way to convince them to come back.

Neither is "Look at our flashy CGI trailer/cutscene and pretentious soundtrack, none of which you'll understand unless you've read the plot synopsis for our old game!".

You know.. I've never felt so compelled to create an account on a forum for the sole purpose of combating the statements of another. But here I am...

I must first admit that I absolutely love the Final Fantasy series.. including 14, but not at first. At launch it was a spectacular failure of epic proportions... but slowly over time it steadily improved as much as it possibly could given certain limitations. And during these growing pains if you will the game went free to play.. we weren't charged a single cent until it reached a point where subscriptions could be reinstated.

Before you begin to verbally bash a game I'd suggest you find out the facts because frankly you're coming off as someone who just hates SE or Final Fantasy in general. When 2.0 launches EVERYONE who had purchased 1.0 will NOT be charged.. so thank you for demonstrating your ignorance. And I find you're argument somewhat confusing to be honest. Are you trying to say that SE should have just let the game burn because it was so terrible instead of fix it? I'm sorry.. but when I buy something and it doesn't work I expect it to be fixed without charge.. and what do you know. That's exactly what has/is happening!

The "trailer" isn't even really a trailer to begin with. It's more like a farewell for all of those who have stuck around and hung in there with the game to see it through the changes.. Showcasing the final moments of a world before it is reformed for the relaunch of the game.

I mean.. like I said. I don't know if you just hate anything Final Fantasy or have somehow rationalized any of this. I think most level headed people understand that this isn't really meant to showcase the game itself but to generate a buzz.. like with any other game in general when it comes to this type of thing. Do you ever really get a full understanding of what the hell is going on in most game trailers? Not really.. but it DOES get you excited for the game in most cases... and it seems this "trailer" has done the same. Even if that's not what it really is...

I don't even really know how to address your second post really.. you just come off as so anti-FF it's somewhat funny to be honest with you. If you can't understand the general theme of the "trailer" then you're frankly kind of dumb. You see two sides clashing in battle.. you see fire raining down from the sky and destroying things... you see a big baddy proceeding to wreck the place. So to say it revealed nothing is silly. You can glean the basic idea of what's going on from that and that's more then enough considering it was meant for those of us who stuck around with the game.

I just.. if you don't like a game that's absolutely fine. But making up bogus excuses as to why it's shit just rubs me the wrong way. Even if you hate SE you have to give them props... they've made a new game from scratch pretty much while simultaneously adding content/improving on the original game... all while not charging a subscription free for most of the process.

I don't like WoW but I'm not going to use your same excuse about having to look up lore to justify why it sucks. They're virtually the same thing. Big ass dragon comes out and wrecks shit.. you might have to look up lore to understand who they are or how it happened. But if you can't get the idea of what's going on in either that's just to bad.

Firstly.. It's Dalamud, not Bahamut OR Tiamat. Get your facts right before you comment about the video you just watched.

As for the first post.. This isn't a regular FF game, it's an MMO. The whole point of this "world destruction" is due to the Garlean Empire summoning Dalamud. That, and the game is being rebuilt from the ground up. There's no mention of a "cataclysm", WoW's was basically "oh, dragon just revives and blows shit up". This is not the same premise. If you bothered to actually read about WHY this happened, then you'd have a right to comment on it.

The Team Hollywood line of "Dragons sure do hate Japan. Maybe it's the hair?" is fucking irritating as well. There aren't any "wacky" hairstyles in this game. Do your research, guys~! Quit the JRPG stereotypes. Doesn't make you look professional at all. Not to mention WRPGs also have (arguably more bland) dumb stereotypes.

This is for everyone. DO. YOUR. RESEARCH. Squeenix has been promoting the changes in the game for *months* on their FFXIV Lodestone site, YouTube videos and trailers.. Hell, the current Producer/Director of the game (Naoki Yoshida, who replaced the old Producer and Director and is doing both jobs himself) is consistently doing Letters from the Producer. He's done 37 letters at least as of today, from last count. He is constantly taking feedback.

I lost any emotional involvement when the first Tarutaru appeared. Sorry Squeenix but i cant take a race that look like animal-eared hobbit children seriously, nor can i take seriously any game/movie that includes them.

MattAn24:
snip

Gee someone is a little over-protective.

And if YOU watched Cataclysm video, you would have noticed that Deathwing was getting a pretty nifty makeover at the begining and I doubt he is paying for his medical bills himself. So it is not a "holy shit a dragon randomly resurrected itself!!!" scenario.

Call it a planned attack or call it a cataclysm, It was a case of a big monster blowing up everything aided by some evil morons as an excuse for a total makeover in an MMO. That is more than enough similiarities for a comparison.

GenGenners:

Nieroshai:

Lunar Templar:

And if it was F2P, you'd also complain that it was 'just another microtransaction-based pay-to-win MMO, like every other game being made these days.'
What magical method of funding their game do you suggest they take?

Woah easy there! Put the gun down!

Not really, if an MMO isn't WoW, just about the ONLY way I'll even TRY it is if I can try it for free first. I'd say you're projecting your feelings on MMOs onto me. I play Aion and DDO because they're free. I like more than one MMO, but I'm already subbed to WoW. It's why Secret World aggravates me: it doesn't even have a trial. Even so, going with payment models, why does no one remember the simple fact that while no game has managed to become a WoW-killer, WoW itself is THE sub-MMO killer. All its competitors have gone F2P just to stay solvent.

MattAn24:
Firstly.. It's Dalamud, not Bahamut OR Tiamat. Get your facts right before you comment about the video you just watched.

As for the first post.. This isn't a regular FF game, it's an MMO. The whole point of this "world destruction" is due to the Garlean Empire summoning Dalamud. That, and the game is being rebuilt from the ground up. There's no mention of a "cataclysm", WoW's was basically "oh, dragon just revives and blows shit up". This is not the same premise. If you bothered to actually read about WHY this happened, then you'd have a right to comment on it.

The Team Hollywood line of "Dragons sure do hate Japan. Maybe it's the hair?" is fucking irritating as well. There aren't any "wacky" hairstyles in this game. Do your research, guys~! Quit the JRPG stereotypes. Doesn't make you look professional at all. Not to mention WRPGs also have (arguably more bland) dumb stereotypes.

This is for everyone. DO. YOUR. RESEARCH. Squeenix has been promoting the changes in the game for *months* on their FFXIV Lodestone site, YouTube videos and trailers.. Hell, the current Producer/Director of the game (Naoki Yoshida, who replaced the old Producer and Director and is doing both jobs himself) is consistently doing Letters from the Producer. He's done 37 letters at least as of today, from last count. He is constantly taking feedback.

Do your own research. Deathwing's return was coming since Vanilla WoW. Deathwing was basically the dragon-god and guardian of Earth, but the Old Gods(think Cthulhu and Yog Sothoth) drove him mad and he tried to destroy the world and the other Dragon Aspects. They sealed him away, but now he's back and wants revenge on the Titans (the supreme gods of the universe) for sticking him on our little dustball. It's more complicated than that, but makes a lot more sense than "I want to destroy Earth because Mommy said so. Nevermind that she's an alien meteor planet-cannibal and couldn't care less about me." Not that I hate that story.

Also, a bit much butthurt? The "Dragons sure do hate Japan. Maybe it's the hair?" line was obviously a joke, and doesn't need to be "debunked," nor does it deserve being a springboard into a JRPG Rights rant. You aren't WRONG, but you do look a wee bit oversensitive trying to tear down a lame joke and put it in its place.

NoctisXZ:
-fanboy rant snipped-

MattAn24:
-fanboy rant snipped-

Aaaaaand herein we get to the ROOT of the problem.

You're fans of the game, and therefore can't be arsed to see the other side of the fence.

Let me paint a picture for you since you're not getting it: FF14 was a piece of shit. It was a terrible game with an engine so bad that the developers effectively had to scrape the game because it couldn't be completely salvaged. On top of this, it was universally panned by nearly every critic on the planet, suffered a massive exodus within months of starting up, and (again) was so bad that the original dev team was all but fired, and Square Enix was forced to repeatedly apologize for the quality of the game.

Got it? I get that you like FF14, now understand the reality of the situation: FF14 was NOT well liked by the majority of people, and suffers from a bias so great that the entire franchise's reputation was tainted by it. Understand? I hope so, because this is a fact you need to accept before any sort of discussion can move forward. All this nonsense about "you can't comment on it unless you played the game durr", that's ridiculous. Most of the people viewing this video likely didn't play the bloody game in the first place, so it's natural for them to ask questions since the video sure as hell refuses to fill in any blanks. And telling people "just go look up the synopsis of the entire game's storyline" is part of the problem: you're supposed to give a proper plot summary in the video itself. You don't attract new players by explaining NOTHING about your game.

Now that we've established something that should be obvious, let's consider how anyone who hasn't played the game is going to feel after having watched this video. The entire video is flashy CGI with no dialogue or context, while playing the same pretentious music as the original FF14 trailer used. New viewers are going to be lost throughout the whole thing, and then they'll see the title card....and all interest in the game will vanish.

See, the way to do these things RIGHT is to make the events of the game understandable within the short window you have available to you. I, as a potential new customer, am completely turned off by this video, whether it be a cutscene or otherwise, because it quite frankly makes zero sense. I'm also not the only one who thinks this way, and while people love to pretend that the majority is always a bunch of stupid people who are totally wrong, sometimes that just isn't the case.

And yeah, as to the "FF14's dragon is totally super special unique and isn't a copycat at all!" bit, let's just consider for two seconds the multitude of other RPGs and MMOs featuring dragons that have cropped up in recent years. Now let's try to notice the obvious trend behind this. It's "popular" right now, ergo they're latching onto popularity with the "and then a big ol' dragon came and blew shit up" plotline. That doesn't mean it's automatically bad, but you can't honestly hope to pretend that this isn't a response to a growing popular trend in fantasy gaming. There are no less than three big AAA games and expansions released in the last few years that are fueled by this concept alone. It's exceedingly obvious where they got the idea from.

MattAn24:

No, it's definitely Bahamut. He was charging up Megaflare at the end of the video. Dalamud was just the name of the artificial moon that he was imprisoned in.

I liked this video, definitely something of a reminder of the good old days of despair and more despair.

CriticKitten:

NoctisXZ:
-fanboy rant snipped-

MattAn24:
-fanboy rant snipped-

Aaaaaand herein we get to the ROOT of the problem.

You're fans of the game, and therefore can't be arsed to see the other side of the fence.

Let me paint a picture for you since you're not getting it: FF14 was a piece of shit. It was a terrible game with an engine so bad that the developers effectively had to scrape the game because it couldn't be completely salvaged. On top of this, it was universally panned by nearly every critic on the planet, suffered a massive exodus within months of starting up, and (again) was so bad that the original dev team was all but fired, and Square Enix was forced to repeatedly apologize for the quality of the game.

Got it? I get that you like FF14, now understand the reality of the situation: FF14 was NOT well liked by the majority of people, and suffers from a bias so great that the entire franchise's reputation was tainted by it. Understand? I hope so, because this is a fact you need to accept before any sort of discussion can move forward. All this nonsense about "you can't comment on it unless you played the game durr", that's ridiculous. Most of the people viewing this video likely didn't play the bloody game in the first place, so it's natural for them to ask questions since the video sure as hell refuses to fill in any blanks. And telling people "just go look up the synopsis of the entire game's storyline" is part of the problem: you're supposed to give a proper plot summary in the video itself. You don't attract new players by explaining NOTHING about your game.

Now that we've established something that should be obvious, let's consider how anyone who hasn't played the game is going to feel after having watched this video. The entire video is flashy CGI with no dialogue or context, while playing the same pretentious music as the original FF14 trailer used. New viewers are going to be lost throughout the whole thing, and then they'll see the title card....and all interest in the game will vanish.

See, the way to do these things RIGHT is to make the events of the game understandable within the short window you have available to you. I, as a potential new customer, am completely turned off by this video, whether it be a cutscene or otherwise, because it quite frankly makes zero sense. I'm also not the only one who thinks this way, and while people love to pretend that the majority is always a bunch of stupid people who are totally wrong, sometimes that just isn't the case.

And yeah, as to the "FF14's dragon is totally super special unique and isn't a copycat at all!" bit, let's just consider for two seconds the multitude of other RPGs and MMOs featuring dragons that have cropped up in recent years. Now let's try to notice the obvious trend behind this. It's "popular" right now, ergo they're latching onto popularity with the "and then a big ol' dragon came and blew shit up" plotline. That doesn't mean it's automatically bad, but you can't honestly hope to pretend that this isn't a response to a growing popular trend in fantasy gaming. There are no less than three big AAA games and expansions released in the last few years that are fueled by this concept alone. It's exceedingly obvious where they got the idea from.

I absolutely love how you immediately dismissed my response to your posts.. it doesn't even really seem like you read all of it, if any of it.. also before I dive into your post I just wanted to take a moment to say that the word "fanboy" is tossed around a little to much. It's become a deflective shield of sorts by those who can't offer a truly valid response to someone else's criticism.

If you bothered to read what I had to say you would know that I do/have acknowledged the failure that was the release of the game. Your post isn't constructive in the least and it hardly can be called a response to my post... you're just regurgitating things that everyone already knows for lack of having anything better to say.

It is not myself who is biased.. but it is you, perhaps you just don't like the genre the series is in or you just simply don't like Final Fantasy.. seriously though, my faith in humanity has been completely lost if anyone watching that video can not pick up the basic premise of what's going on. It is not that difficult to grasp.. just watch the video. As I have said before and I will proceed to make it even more clear for you..

-Two sides are clashing in battle (Most people would assume a war of sorts is going on)
-Fire rains down on the world (Destruction anyone?)
-Dragon proceeds to go on a rampage (More destruction anyone?)
-Gandolf.. err, I mean.. that old guy is obviously trying to protect people from it (Obvious given there face to face showdown)
-Not to mention the trailer itself is labeled as Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn - End of an Era (Do I really have to spoon feed the relevancy of that to you?)

I just don't understand how you could have a serious problem with this trailer but not with the Cataclysm trailer or any other game trailer for that matter based on your points. You NEVER get a firm understanding from these things.. they are not meant to tell you everything about the game. They are simply meant to get you interested in the game enough to look into it.. nothing more, nothing less. So to try and take this down based on that is ABSOLUTELY showing YOUR biased..

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment and critique the Cataclysm trailer based on your.. hmm, trailer philosophy if you will.

- Why is that dragon underground?
- Why are people hammering armor onto it? It's a dragon!
- Who are those people?
- How is it just now causing tsunamis and the like? Was it staying still the whole time while it was underground until just now?
- Why is a trail of fire following it wherever it goes?
- Why does it hate Azeroth?

Going by all that we can safely assume that the Cataclysm trailer has failed. Because as a potential new fan I have absolutely no idea what's going on unless I look up the lore! -Rolls eyes-

But the thing is.. I do! Because ANYONE can get a basic understanding of what's going on in that trailer just by using a small portion of their brain. The trailer/expansion is called CATACLYSM.. and what do you know.. a huge dragon is causing catastrophes.. some serious stuff is about to go down! The 14 trailer is no different from that..

You really shouldn't label your own opinions as the general thought of the masses. During the final event on twitch feeds a lot of people were watching who had never played the game. They didn't understand everything that was going on.. but they were excited by it, interested by it.. that's what those things are designed to do! It's not rocket science.

How to address your last paragraph... hmm.. to start. Bahamut has been a stable of the Final Fantasy series for a very long time, he's up there as one of the most recognizable summons/enemies and for the most part he is a harbinger of destruction of sorts. At this point you're just making shit up.. because since the beginning of time, the beginning of fantasy dragons have been used for these types of things.. so to say it's just now becoming a popular trend is a good laugh.

As soon as I saw the trailer I knew that the comparison you just made was going to happen. But to my surprise I haven't seen it pop up a lot. It seems that as gamers we have evolved somewhat.. you know that joke about The Simpsons? Believe South Park used it before.. about how The Simpsons have done it first/done everything so everything else is just copying and a waste of time.. ya.. do I need to explain how silly that argument is?

You're posts stink of anti-FF sentiment. And that's alright.. games aren't for everyone. You don't have to like them.. but to try and make justifications of why they suck and everything involving them sucks.. why a whole genre sucks just because you don't like it needs to stop.

Just come out and say you don't like the games. So now you may go on ahead and ignore everything I've said for a second time because of your blind hate..

NoctisXZ:
I absolutely love how you immediately dismissed my response to your posts.. it doesn't even really seem like you read all of it, if any of it.. also before I dive into your post I just wanted to take a moment to say that the word "fanboy" is tossed around a little to much. It's become a deflective shield of sorts by those who can't offer a truly valid response to someone else's criticism.

If you bothered to read what I had to say you would know that I do/have acknowledged the failure that was the release of the game. Your post isn't constructive in the least and it hardly can be called a response to my post... you're just regurgitating things that everyone already knows for lack of having anything better to say.

No, I'm reiterating things other people have said because (and do try to keep up here) it happens to be the majority opinion of the game, and yet you and yours will still defend it. "Yes, it has flaws, but OMG it's such a great game and everyone's just biased against it!" Which is why the game was universally panned and coughed up players at such a rapid rate that it was nearly as big of an embarrassment as SWTOR, if not moreso. Because clearly, YOU are the one who is right and everyone else is obviously wrong.

This is what we refer to as a "delusion". You need to get beyond it before there will be anything of value to discuss here.

It is not myself who is biased.. but it is you, perhaps you just don't like the genre the series is in or you just simply don't like Final Fantasy.

Yes, obviously if I dislike this game, I must be an avid hater of RPGs and of role playing itself!

Of course, then you'll need to explain why most of my game collection is full of both WRPGs and JRPGs, including several FF games as well as other titles you've likely never heard of. And let's not go into my connections to role playing outside of video games.

So basically my counterargument to this can be summarized thusly: Bitch please, if anything I likely have more of a connection to the genre than YOU do.

Nice fail of an ad hominem, though.

seriously though, my faith in humanity has been completely lost if anyone watching that video can not pick up the basic premise of what's going on.

The "basic premise" is as it's been described by several other people in this thread. "Big flashy battle, then a dragon shows up and blows shit up." And the game's defenders (such as yourself) continue to brand that as an oversimplification. The problem is, that's ALL this video shows us. Anyone who didn't play the game is left wondering wtf all that was about, and that's a failing on the devs.

-Two sides are clashing in battle (Most people would assume a war of sorts is going on)

Congrats, you've just described World of Warcraft, as well as Skyrim, and GW2, and....oh, wait, you were trying to point out how unique and amazing the game was for using some of the most common fantasy tropes out there, tropes that at least three recent titles have used no less. But no, totally original. Sorry, continue.

-Gandolf.. err, I mean.. that old guy is obviously trying to protect people from it (Obvious given there face to face showdown)
-Not to mention the trailer itself is labeled as Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn - End of an Era (Do I really have to spoon feed the relevancy of that to you?)

It's completely irrelevant what the trailer is labeled. If you were linked to this video with no title attached, you wouldn't know the game's title until the last few seconds when the title card comes on. What matters is what they do with the time, and this trailer doesn't use its time well. They have to remember, they're not WoW. WoW had over ten million players at multiple points in its life, a lot of folks recognize at least bits and pieces of WoW. No one recognizes FF14 from a glance because few people ever played it. They need to stand out and impress people before that title card hits, and it's clear from reactions in this thread that the only people impressed were those who were already playing or played in the past, i.e. NOT the people Enix needs to make this game return to prominence. Ergo, they blew it.

And thank you, btw, for admitting that it IS a trailer rather than lying to yourself about how it's "only a cutscene" and not meant to be an advertisement for the game in any way.

I just don't understand how you could have a serious problem with this trailer but not with the Cataclysm trailer or any other game trailer for that matter based on your points. You NEVER get a firm understanding from these things.. they are not meant to tell you everything about the game. They are simply meant to get you interested in the game enough to look into it.. nothing more, nothing less. So to try and take this down based on that is ABSOLUTELY showing YOUR biased..

No one said the trailer has to tell everything about the game. But the goal of a trailer is to attract interest, and this one recycles something that people have already seen at least THREE times in the last few years alone. How do they expect to stand out with that?

And I think you need to read my post again. I clearly stated that I know this whole "no gameplay, all CGI" bullshit is becoming a "thing" but I still think it's stupid. Show me your game in your trailer. If you can't do that, you're not going to get my interest. Anyone can make a flashy CGI trailer, but hiding behind one, at least to me, is a warning.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment and critique the Cataclysm trailer based on your.. hmm, trailer philosophy if you will.

Oh, this'll be good. *grabs popcorn*

Keep in mind that I've never played WoW whatsoever, so I'll be viewing as a neutral party (well, more neutral than you)

The common trope is that the world is all peaceful and shit until the dragons pop out of the ground and blow things up. So, presumably, it's sticking with the trope. I'm sure there's a lore reason for it, but the most obvious reason would be this: where else is a giant dragon gonna come from? The moon?

- Who are those people?

No clue, but the trailer shows them for only a short while so it's safe to presume they're not that important to the story. Unless the chocobos in the FF14 are also plot-critical characters whose origins we simply MUST know, this is just you being nitpicky and ridiculous.

- How is it just now causing tsunamis and the like? Was it staying still the whole time while it was underground until just now?

I have to assume you're joking, because this is actually pretty easily explained. A giant dragon just popped out and its flying around disrupting the state of the planet because that's what dragons DO.

Hell, that's what large objects do! It would only take an asteroid the size of Texas impacting Earth to significantly change the *entire* planet, possibly covering the whole planet in massive dust clouds for quite a long time. A large enough dragon, if it existed, would naturally bring climate change by sheer virtue of its size and scale.

I imagine it has something to do with the volcanic land it emerged from? Or perhaps, ya know, being a dragon....it has a link to fire, since dragons, ya know....tend to breathe fire? Just a thought. >_>

What in the trailer suggests that directly? The dragon states that it wants to blow up Azeroth, but that doesn't imply hatred. It may just be his job (world-destroying forces being a "force of nature" or part of a "natural cycle" is also a common trope).

Going by all that we can safely assume that the Cataclysm trailer has failed. Because as a potential new fan I have absolutely no idea what's going on unless I look up the lore! -Rolls eyes-

No, see, this is just you taking my argument to an obviously ridiculous extreme, mostly in desperation to prove my "bias" against your "waifu".

But the thing is.. I do! Because ANYONE can get a basic understanding of what's going on in that trailer just by using a small portion of their brain. The trailer/expansion is called CATACLYSM.. and what do you know.. a huge dragon is causing catastrophes.. some serious stuff is about to go down! The 14 trailer is no different from that..

Actually it's very different. The Cataclysm trailer succeeds through sheer simplicity. There's a dragon, he blows shit up. And he explains how he's gonna blow shit up because he's a big bad dragon and that's how he rolls.

FF14's trailer clearly features several plot-critical elements that NO ONE who hasn't played the game would understand. There is a massive battle between two factions (which isn't explained), a dragon which emerges from a giant orb thing (which isn't explained), Gandalf shows up and there's cuts to several glowy pillars of light with people praying, presumably some form of magic or prayer to beat the dragon (but which still aren't explained), the dragon doesn't die and promptly blows up *everything* but not before Gandalf teleports them somewhere (to where? who cares, that isn't explained either). There are a number of things in there which are essentially expecting a newcomer to just "follow along" without asking questions. Which is fine if you're trying to attract mindless drones, but I'm afraid WoW has all of those, and you're not going to steal WoW's drones from it. :p

You really shouldn't label your own opinions as the general thought of the masses. During the final event on twitch feeds a lot of people were watching who had never played the game. They didn't understand everything that was going on.. but they were excited by it, interested by it.. that's what those things are designed to do! It's not rocket science.

We'll see in a year or two when the game still has a low subscriber count, won't we?

How to address your last paragraph... hmm.. to start. Bahamut has been a stable of the Final Fantasy series for a very long time, he's up there as one of the most recognizable summons/enemies and for the most part he is a harbinger of destruction of sorts. At this point you're just making shit up.. because since the beginning of time, the beginning of fantasy dragons have been used for these types of things.. so to say it's just now becoming a popular trend is a good laugh.

Firstly, the word is "staple".

Second, according to the other poster I quoted, that isn't Bahamut. It's "Dalamud". Nice job completely destroying your own argument with your own lack of knowledge about the game you're defending.

Third, dragons are a recurring trope, that's true, but they are abnormally popular of late because of the multitude of games recently that pivot entirely around massive world-breaking dragons ruining everything. To deny that would require essentially plugging your ears, covering your eyes, and screaming out loud to block out any sensory input from the last decade. Seriously.

Really, this is just laughable. XD

As soon as I saw the trailer I knew that the comparison you just made was going to happen. But to my surprise I haven't seen it pop up a lot. It seems that as gamers we have evolved somewhat.. you know that joke about The Simpsons? Believe South Park used it before.. about how The Simpsons have done it first/done everything so everything else is just copying and a waste of time.. ya.. do I need to explain how silly that argument is?

No one said that copying is necessarily bad. In fact, the post you quoted (but didn't read) also clearly states that it's perfectly fine to copy. Just don't claim that you're being totally original as you blatantly rip off your competitors. That's like Sony claiming that Sony All Stars is "original" despite being a rather blatant format rip from Smash Brothers.

You're posts stink of anti-FF sentiment. And that's alright.. games aren't for everyone. You don't have to like them.. but to try and make justifications of why they suck and everything involving them sucks.. why a whole genre sucks just because you don't like it needs to stop.

Just come out and say you don't like the games. So now you may go on ahead and ignore everything I've said for a second time because of your blind hate..

No, I'm not ignoring you because I "hate Final Fantasy" (never mind that I own several of the titles, including FF10, which is a guilty pleasure of mine because of its superior combat system....though Tidus needs to go die, AGAIN).

I'm ignoring you because you clearly have no clue what the hell you're talking about. You demonstrate that rather clearly by not reading the post you quoted, by misinterpreting footage from the game you're vehemently defending, and by denying the reality that FF14 was universally panned while trying to spin this narrative that my opinion of the game is somehow a minority opinion. You're not even educated about the game, much less popular opinion of the game, so why should I acknowledge you as any sort of 'authority' whatsoever?

Well as to the what, there was apparently a post on Kotaku (can't find the original link, sorry, only found this secondhand myself) which did a decent job of explaining the video.

Kotaku Poster:
I've noticed a lot of people have been asking what's happening, and are confused; Well i'll try and point out the basics you need to understand the cutscene
--
There are certain events that shape the world in a major way, and following one of these events we go into something called a new "Umbral Era". The release of Bahamut was the transition from the sixth to the seventh Umbral Era.

The war that was being fought was against the Imperials. They are part of the Garlean Empire. and part of the primary antagonistic group of the game.

The Garlean Empire controls the majority of the northern and eastern regions of the enormous landmass of the three continents - of which Eorzea (The continent where the game is set) is a part. Until some fifty years ago, Garlemald was a small, remote nation which held little more than a fraction of the northlands. But with the revolutionary advancements in technology and dramatic restructuring of the military ushered in by an ambitious commanding Legatus who later ascended to the seat of Emperor, Garlemald soon established itself as one of the most formidable forces in all of Hydaelyn (the planet).

The Garleans have keen advantages in battle due to the Magitek technology they possess.
The three city states who have been fighting the empire have banded together to fend off the foe

The Garleans are the ones who summoned the 'meteor' to strike at the earth in the first place, it's their goal to conquer the entire world. (this decision has created rifts within the empire)

The old guy was called Louisoix. He was a member of a group called the "Circle of Knowing" (along with the other people praying).

The circle of knowing are a group of people who are known as "Archons". They are manifestations of the twelve (the gods of the lore) and ageless. They saw the sixth Umbral era (see above) come in 1500 years ago.

The Archons purpose was to try and stop Dalamud (the meteor-prison) from crashing into the earth. They (or we) had no idea it housed Bahamut though.

If you notice, when they try and trap Bahamut, each of the seals has a different symbol on it, each one of these represents one of the gods, and Bahamut essentially defied all of the powers combined.

As a last ditch effort, after the spell failed Louisoix teleported all the adventurers five years into the future. He smiled because he realized that the world will actually have hope now.

--
There's a lot more lore to it, but there's the absolute basics if you're completely unaware of the XIV lore and world

CriticKitten:

NoctisXZ:

No, I'm reiterating things other people have said because (and do try to keep up here) it happens to be the majority opinion of the game, and yet you and yours will still defend it. "Yes, it has flaws, but OMG it's such a great game and everyone's just biased against it!" Which is why the game was universally panned and coughed up players at such a rapid rate that it was nearly as big of an embarrassment as SWTOR, if not moreso. Because clearly, YOU are the one who is right and everyone else is obviously wrong.

This is what we refer to as a "delusion". You need to get beyond it before there will be anything of value to discuss here.

It is not myself who is biased.. but it is you, perhaps you just don't like the genre the series is in or you just simply don't like Final Fantasy.

Yes, obviously if I dislike this game, I must be an avid hater of RPGs and of role playing itself!

Of course, then you'll need to explain why most of my game collection is full of both WRPGs and JRPGs, including several FF games as well as other titles you've likely never heard of. And let's not go into my connections to role playing outside of video games.

So basically my counterargument to this can be summarized thusly: Bitch please, if anything I likely have more of a connection to the genre than YOU do.

Nice fail of an ad hominem, though.

seriously though, my faith in humanity has been completely lost if anyone watching that video can not pick up the basic premise of what's going on.

The "basic premise" is as it's been described by several other people in this thread. "Big flashy battle, then a dragon shows up and blows shit up." And the game's defenders (such as yourself) continue to brand that as an oversimplification. The problem is, that's ALL this video shows us. Anyone who didn't play the game is left wondering wtf all that was about, and that's a failing on the devs.

Congrats, you've just described World of Warcraft, as well as Skyrim, and GW2, and....oh, wait, you were trying to point out how unique and amazing the game was for using some of the most common fantasy tropes out there, tropes that at least three recent titles have used no less. But no, totally original. Sorry, continue.

It's completely irrelevant what the trailer is labeled. If you were linked to this video with no title attached, you wouldn't know the game's title until the last few seconds when the title card comes on. What matters is what they do with the time, and this trailer doesn't use its time well. They have to remember, they're not WoW. WoW had over ten million players at multiple points in its life, a lot of folks recognize at least bits and pieces of WoW. No one recognizes FF14 from a glance because few people ever played it. They need to stand out and impress people before that title card hits, and it's clear from reactions in this thread that the only people impressed were those who were already playing or played in the past, i.e. NOT the people Enix needs to make this game return to prominence. Ergo, they blew it.

And thank you, btw, for admitting that it IS a trailer rather than lying to yourself about how it's "only a cutscene" and not meant to be an advertisement for the game in any way.

No one said the trailer has to tell everything about the game. But the goal of a trailer is to attract interest, and this one recycles something that people have already seen at least THREE times in the last few years alone. How do they expect to stand out with that?

And I think you need to read my post again. I clearly stated that I know this whole "no gameplay, all CGI" bullshit is becoming a "thing" but I still think it's stupid. Show me your game in your trailer. If you can't do that, you're not going to get my interest. Anyone can make a flashy CGI trailer, but hiding behind one, at least to me, is a warning.

Oh, this'll be good. *grabs popcorn*

Keep in mind that I've never played WoW whatsoever, so I'll be viewing as a neutral party (well, more neutral than you)

The common trope is that the world is all peaceful and shit until the dragons pop out of the ground and blow things up. So, presumably, it's sticking with the trope. I'm sure there's a lore reason for it, but the most obvious reason would be this: where else is a giant dragon gonna come from? The moon?

- Who are those people?

No clue, but the trailer shows them for only a short while so it's safe to presume they're not that important to the story. Unless the chocobos in the FF14 are also plot-critical characters whose origins we simply MUST know, this is just you being nitpicky and ridiculous.

I have to assume you're joking, because this is actually pretty easily explained. A giant dragon just popped out and its flying around disrupting the state of the planet because that's what dragons DO.

Hell, that's what large objects do! It would only take an asteroid the size of Texas impacting Earth to significantly change the *entire* planet, possibly covering the whole planet in massive dust clouds for quite a long time. A large enough dragon, if it existed, would naturally bring climate change by sheer virtue of its size and scale.

I imagine it has something to do with the volcanic land it emerged from? Or perhaps, ya know, being a dragon....it has a link to fire, since dragons, ya know....tend to breathe fire? Just a thought. >_>

What in the trailer suggests that directly? The dragon states that it wants to blow up Azeroth, but that doesn't imply hatred. It may just be his job (world-destroying forces being a "force of nature" or part of a "natural cycle" is also a common trope).

No, see, this is just you taking my argument to an obviously ridiculous extreme, mostly in desperation to prove my "bias" against your "waifu".

Actually it's very different. The Cataclysm trailer succeeds through sheer simplicity. There's a dragon, he blows shit up. And he explains how he's gonna blow shit up because he's a big bad dragon and that's how he rolls.

FF14's trailer clearly features several plot-critical elements that NO ONE who hasn't played the game would understand. There is a massive battle between two factions (which isn't explained), a dragon which emerges from a giant orb thing (which isn't explained), Gandalf shows up and there's cuts to several glowy pillars of light with people praying, presumably some form of magic or prayer to beat the dragon (but which still aren't explained), the dragon doesn't die and promptly blows up *everything* but not before Gandalf teleports them somewhere (to where? who cares, that isn't explained either). There are a number of things in there which are essentially expecting a newcomer to just "follow along" without asking questions. Which is fine if you're trying to attract mindless drones, but I'm afraid WoW has all of those, and you're not going to steal WoW's drones from it. :p

We'll see in a year or two when the game still has a low subscriber count, won't we?

Firstly, the word is "staple".

Second, according to the other poster I quoted, that isn't Bahamut. It's "Dalamud". Nice job completely destroying your own argument with your own lack of knowledge about the game you're defending.

Third, dragons are a recurring trope, that's true, but they are abnormally popular of late because of the multitude of games recently that pivot entirely around massive world-breaking dragons ruining everything. To deny that would require essentially plugging your ears, covering your eyes, and screaming out loud to block out any sensory input from the last decade. Seriously.

Really, this is just laughable. XD

No one said that copying is necessarily bad. In fact, the post you quoted (but didn't read) also clearly states that it's perfectly fine to copy. Just don't claim that you're being totally original as you blatantly rip off your competitors. That's like Sony claiming that Sony All Stars is "original" despite being a rather blatant format rip from Smash Brothers.

No, I'm not ignoring you because I "hate Final Fantasy" (never mind that I own several of the titles, including FF10, which is a guilty pleasure of mine because of its superior combat system....though Tidus needs to go die, AGAIN).

I'm ignoring you because you clearly have no clue what the hell you're talking about. You demonstrate that rather clearly by not reading the post you quoted, by misinterpreting footage from the game you're vehemently defending, and by denying the reality that FF14 was universally panned while trying to spin this narrative that my opinion of the game is somehow a minority opinion. You're not even educated about the game, much less popular opinion of the game, so why should I acknowledge you as any sort of 'authority' whatsoever?

Like I said.. you're simply regurgitating things that everyone already knows. And forgive me for mistaking.. but one can only assume that you have some kind of hate, regardless of it being for the game itself or the series, from the hostility of your posts.

I'd be hard pressed to find a rational human being who has played the game and considered it great by any stretch. The community itself has been the most vocal about it's short comings at launch.. and no one, absolutely no one has tried to make it seem like something that it wasn't.. which is to say a failure.

The sad fact of the matter is that there does exist a bias for these types of games. Especially for Final Fantasy games. You see it all the time in reviews.. including this one. While it is harmless it does have it's implications.

Was the game horrible at launch? Yes. Was it a failure financially? Yes, Was it unplayable like the majority have said at launch? No. Was it the worst MMO launch in history? No.

Those last two things are the only things you'll find those within the game community defend vocally for the most part. No one is delusional here...

And no. I'm not throwing barbs and accusing you of something because you don't like the game. That's absolutely fine. What I find a problem with was the rational behind your previous posts that make it almost blindly apparent that you almost detest the game on a cellular level. Perhaps that was going to far.. you get the point though.

Going to ignore a great deal of your post because most of it boils down to "My E-peen is bigger because I play more games. Ha!" -Rolls eyes-

And where are you getting this oversimplification business from? All I see is someone asking for more context as to what happened, a sign of interest, and someone giving it to them.

It's hard to debate with you when you either twist my statements and try to make them seem like something else or outright ignore them all together. Giving the basic, very basic outline of the video, was not meant to showcase how unique it is. It was meant to combat your original post saying that no one has any idea what the hell is going on in the trailer. My own father who doesn't play games mind you was able to understand there was a war and shit was going down so I fail to see how any gamer in the slightest could watch that and not grasp one idea of what's happening the slightest.. THAT was the reason for all of that.. so please, stop trying to turn my comments into something they aren't.

This is exactly what I mean though about the bias that exists.. the bias that you are demonstrating. If that Cataclysm trailer was linked to you without a title you'd have no idea what game it was until the end of it.. and remember!.. this was your argument. You don't attract a new audience by explaining nothing about you're game! Those two videos are virtually the same in premise.. except that one isn't even really a trailer, it's for people who actually stayed with the game, a reward if you will.. and the other is an expansion meant to retain older players/attract new ones.

I can't really argue with you because you missed the entire point of the video. You think this is a trailer in the traditional sense when it is in fact not. And from the sample of people here and the gaming community as a whole. It DID create interest in the game.. so please don't force your opinion onto the collective audience.

You've totally missed what I was trying to do with WoW just because you wanted to. So I'm going to skip over all of that. I was using your argument as to why the 14 trailer failed for WoW.. not that complicated. You've pointed out how stupid your own argument is by explaining everything I've asked. So thank you.

Dalamund is the orb that Bahamut was imprisoned in. Seriously... this whole conversation you've been putting thoughts/words into my mouth that I haven't even said. Like with the game lore.. when did I even call Bahamut that? I'm utterly confused... think you should actually read my posts.

I never denied that the game was panned. I wasn't even talking/arguing that point at ALL when I came into it. I was pointed out how silly your argument over why the trailer sucks is flawed.. that's it. I don't even know how I misinterrpruted game footage.. because I didn't.. lol..

Verbally trying to put someone down is attests to how your point of view holds no weight. Skating around the things I've said, putting words into my mouth and bringing up things I haven't even talked about def show that.,

NoctisXZ:
Like I said.. you're simply regurgitating things that everyone already knows. And forgive me for mistaking.. but one can only assume that you have some kind of hate, regardless of it being for the game itself or the series, from the hostility of your posts.

I'd be hard pressed to find a rational human being who has played the game and considered it great by any stretch. The community itself has been the most vocal about it's short comings at launch.. and no one, absolutely no one has tried to make it seem like something that it wasn't.. which is to say a failure.

The sad fact of the matter is that there does exist a bias for these types of games. Especially for Final Fantasy games. You see it all the time in reviews.. including this one. While it is harmless it does have it's implications.

Was the game horrible at launch? Yes. Was it a failure financially? Yes, Was it unplayable like the majority have said at launch? No. Was it the worst MMO launch in history? No.

Those last two things are the only things you'll find those within the game community defend vocally for the most part. No one is delusional here...

And no. I'm not throwing barbs and accusing you of something because you don't like the game. That's absolutely fine. What I find a problem with was the rational behind your previous posts that make it almost blindly apparent that you almost detest the game on a cellular level. Perhaps that was going to far.. you get the point though.

And that's why you're not being acknowledged as the "guru" you want to be: you don't understand the other side of the fence because you've never so much as looked to see if the grass was really greener or not.

I don't "hate the game on a cellular level", that's moronic to even suggest. I certainly don't like what it stands for, though, because in a sense it's the epitome of why the gaming market as a whole needs a major humbling.

Throwing flashy CGI trailers at its audience and appealing to them with shameless fanservice (and half-naked women at conventions who don't know a thing about the game they're supposed to be advertising). A game more concerned about making everything pretty than about making everything fun. A game which actively encourages you NOT to play it with ridiculous "fatigue"-esque systems. It's a very, very bad game, effectively a symbol of where Final Fantasy and AAA publishers themselves have gone wrong, and people recognized that fact. That's why it was so thoroughly panned and why people don't like it.

And yet I'm expected to just eat this cinematic trailer up and go "Oh lookie another FF14! I'm sure they won't colossally screw it up like last time! Let me get my wallet!". Apologies, but that's not me. This trailer only demonstrates to me that Square hasn't learned anything. They're still pushing forward with a lot of flash and shiny art, with no evidence of substance behind it. I'm not going to invest in a monthly fee unless I can see with my own eyes what sort of game you have and why it's worth my money. If you're sold on the game with just a cinematic trailer, good for you, but don't expect everyone to share your adorable optimism about a game that has almost singlehandedly destroyed the franchise's reputation in the last few years (not that it didn't have help in that).

Going to ignore a great deal of your post because most of it boils down to "My E-peen is bigger because I play more games. Ha!" -Rolls eyes-

Hold up there. YOU were the one who started implying that I had some manner of irrational hatred for RPGs just because I pointed out that FF14 is a shitty game. You don't get to whine about me needing to flash my gaming credentials in some manner of meaningless measuring contest, because YOU were the one who called me and my gaming tastes into question to begin with. You don't get to bitch about being subjected to something YOU asked for.

It's hard to debate with you when you either twist my statements and try to make them seem like something else or outright ignore them all together. Giving the basic, very basic outline of the video, was not meant to showcase how unique it is. It was meant to combat your original post saying that no one has any idea what the hell is going on in the trailer. My own father who doesn't play games mind you was able to understand there was a war and shit was going down so I fail to see how any gamer in the slightest could watch that and not grasp one idea of what's happening the slightest.. THAT was the reason for all of that.. so please, stop trying to turn my comments into something they aren't.

This is exactly what I mean though about the bias that exists.. the bias that you are demonstrating. If that Cataclysm trailer was linked to you without a title you'd have no idea what game it was until the end of it.. and remember!.. this was your argument. You don't attract a new audience by explaining nothing about you're game! Those two videos are virtually the same in premise.. except that one isn't even really a trailer, it's for people who actually stayed with the game, a reward if you will.. and the other is an expansion meant to retain older players/attract new ones.

I can't really argue with you because you missed the entire point of the video. You think this is a trailer in the traditional sense when it is in fact not. And from the sample of people here and the gaming community as a whole. It DID create interest in the game.. so please don't force your opinion onto the collective audience.

You've totally missed what I was trying to do with WoW just because you wanted to. So I'm going to skip over all of that. I was using your argument as to why the 14 trailer failed for WoW.. not that complicated. You've pointed out how stupid your own argument is by explaining everything I've asked. So thank you.

No, what you proved is your own ignorance of gaming itself.

FF14 was, at its time, a new game in a new world. Few people played it and fewer still played it for very long. Most people who would watch that trailer could not make heads or tails of it. WoW, by comparison, is a known entity across gaming. I have *never* played WoW, and I knew instantly upon watching it that it was a trailer for WoW. WoW (as well as Deathwing himself) have the clear advantage of brand recognition, and FF14 doesn't. This really isn't that hard to comprehend. It's not a question of "bias" for or against WoW, it's the fact that almost everyone who plays PC games knows SOMETHING about WoW, even if they never played it.

What you did was take my argument to an absurd extreme. You went picking at minor things that pop up for a few seconds in the trailer instead of the big picture. As I pointed out, this would be like me picking out the chocobo and going "wtf BIG BIRD IS IN THIS GAME DURR HURR?!?" and pretending it's a major focal point of the trailer when it clearly isn't. And when you couldn't find minor nitpicks to make, you proceeded to rave about things that are exceedingly obvious even to the most nitwitted human being, like "why is that dragon on fire? I mean I know he just emerged from volcanic rock and everything, but seriously, what's with all the fire and stuff?"

So no, you didn't "prove" anything except your own ignorance. The trailer for FF14 demonstrates several very much unexplained things. You can get the gist of things, absolutely, but once you try to ask so much as ONE detail then you need someone familiar with the plot to help you out. For example, here's a list of very simple questions about the trailer's premise. Try to find just one that doesn't require at least a partial explanation of something that is NOT explained in the trailer.
* Where is all of this taking place?
* Who are these two sides and why are they fighting?
* Where did the meteor/dragon come from?

Now let's do the same with WoW's trailer, since you're never going to stop beating that dead horse until you're proven wrong. So, let's ask the same questions of WoW's trailer:
* Where is all of this taking place? (Answered! The dragon's exposition explicitly mentions "Azeroth")
* Who are the sides and why are they fighting? (Answered! While the Horde/Alliance are not explained, they never appear in the trailer at all. So far as the viewer is concerned, the sides are "with the dragon" and "against him", and it's rather clear which side you're supposed to be on.)
* Where did the dragon come from? (Answered! The dragon openly states that he is underground, and is shown bursting out of the ground to begin his reign of terror.)

There. Three very, very basic questions asked of both game trailers and of their corresponding games. Only one has answers. The other is too busy trying to impress you with how pretty it is. That's not "you're just biased in favor of that game you've never played and have no reason to defend" as you keep trying to claim it is. That's "this trailer explains NOTHING about the game it corresponds to, and that is BAD".

Again, it's NOT a matter of bias. WoW's trailer still falls victim to the same focus on cinematic bullshit and I've no intention of defending that, because I think it's stupid. But trying to pretend they're both equally informative about the game they portray is just lying to yourself. WoW's trailer at least establishes a running monologue that helps fill in the most basic details of what is happening. FF14's trailer throws the cinematic at you with NO explanations whatsoever. So let's be intellectually honest now, and stop pretending that the two are exactly the same.

Dalamund is the orb that Bahamut was imprisoned in. Seriously... this whole conversation you've been putting thoughts/words into my mouth that I haven't even said. Like with the game lore.. when did I even call Bahamut that? I'm utterly confused... think you should actually read my posts.

I never denied that the game was panned. I wasn't even talking/arguing that point at ALL when I came into it. I was pointed out how silly your argument over why the trailer sucks is flawed.. that's it. I don't even know how I misinterrpruted game footage.. because I didn't.. lol..

Except that you did. We've established this fact rather clearly now, as other fans of the game have pointed out things that would suggest you don't really know what you're talking about. Wikipedia backs up their assertions, as well.

So either you need to rebut those arguments, or we're going to continue to operate under the assumption that you are the one with the erroneous understanding of the trailer and that they are correct.

Verbally trying to put someone down is attests to how your point of view holds no weight. Skating around the things I've said, putting words into my mouth and bringing up things I haven't even talked about def show that.,

I've answered you directly, pointing out the position of those who haven't played the game and you've continued to live in your own world. You've responded with ad hominem attacks on me and my gaming tastes, slanderous accusations of bias without any evidence, and then you proceed to take my arguments to absurd extremes. In other words, you've committed three MAJOR logical fallacies in the course of just three posts, and yet you want to claim that *I'm* the one not being direct and honest? Good luck with that narrative.

What are you even talking about? Who said anything about me wanting to be a guru? And what other side of the fence are you talking about? You've warped this entire conversation into something much more then it needs to be and I want to get into.

Your two original posts had to do with the context of the trailer and how you can't understand a single thing that was going on in it. And that is when I proceeded with my posts.. simply to call you out on your bullshit.

It's very difficult to have a conversation when for one you refuse to acknowledge that video for what is truly is. It IS NOT to attract new customers period.. it is a farewell if you will for those who stuck around with the game. It is closure for us.. that's it. Will people who have never played the game see it? Yes, of course! But that doesn't take away from it's purpose. Secondly.. when you sidestep certain aspects of my posts or outright refuse to answer them and try to tell me I've said things I haven't.. well.. you can see how it's difficult to have a conversation with that. I barely even mentioned the lore and yet you accuse me of trying to be some guru? Nice! You accuse me of making a mistake that I never even made and don't even have the respect to go back and read and find out for yourself. Even more nice!

The way you explain the reasoning behind your argument comes off as 100% biased. You call the song playing pretentious.. how exactly is it pretentious? It's a beautiful song. You refused to acknowledge the fact that you DID have the basic understanding of what was happening in the video until just now.. which is what my entire post was about and your two original posts. And thirdly.. for someone who has never played World of Warcraft you were able to glean so much more from the Cataclysm trailer but you weren't able to, until just now, understand what was happening in the Final Fantasy trailer?

No one has said they were sold on anything.. seriously, you are pulling things out of the air. The only thing people are saying is that Square knows how to make a video, which they do..

If I didn't say I was a fan of Final Fantasy from the start you wouldn't even be saying most of what you have been.. I've come into this as a neutral party, unlike someone else.. I've acknowledged that the game was a failure at launch.. I never once said anything about the trailer being awesome so therefor the game is awesome. All I did was talk about the trailer ITSELF originally and how I found it hard to believe that no one could understand stand a single thing from it.. which is EXACTLY what you were saying for the most part.

And yes.. taking a note from you I'm going to still ignore this talk about your credentials. They don't matter. You are obviously not a stupid person.. so logically the only reason I could see someone like you saying the things you've been saying is because there is something else there. I'm sorry if Final Fantasy beat you as a child. But we can get you help.. see, more joking! Hopefully you understand that one.

From a neutral standpoint I don't see how anyone couldn't get a basic idea of what was happening in that video. World of Warcraft is a very popular game I'll give you that.. but Deathwing having brand recognition. That's an insane stretch. I know some basic things about WoW but even I didn't know who Deathwing was.. so to say that someone who knows NOTHING about that game would know who he is or what/where Azeroth is I find insanely funny.

You're just not getting the point... I took your argument. Which to sum it up was pretty much. "No one has any idea what's going on" and I pointed out the most simple of things in the video that ANYONE could understand.

-Two sides are fighting
-Destruction
-Big dragon

Trailers have ALWAYS been like that.. even movies.. you are given something extremely broad that is meant to catch your eye and intrigue you. You're given a basic premise that is meant to get you interested in the game/movie and things move along from there.. so yes, that's why I think you're biased. So would you like to reiterate what you've been saying and include games/movie trailers as a whole?

"Try to find just one that doesn't require at least a partial explanation of something that is NOT explained in the trailer."
* Where is all of this taking place?
* Who are these two sides and why are they fighting?
* Where did the meteor/dragon come from?

I absolutely love that part.. it so perfectly demonstrated exactly what I've been saying. I'm not going to explain.. I'm just going to turn it around back at the Cataclysm trailer. W

-Where is Azeroth?
-Who were those people putting the armor on Deathwing?
-Where did Deathwing come from?

I can't get any more clear then that. I'm sure you're just going to talk around this entire part though. If the FF video fails because of those points you've just brought up. Then so does the Cataclysm trailer.. so does every game trailer that's ever been made.

I don't see how you can say the simple answer from that video is that they are either with the dragon or against it. Because I would think anyone who was watching that... anyone who knows nothing about WoW would assume those people have that dragon captive and it breaks free. And where the dragon came from.. underground? That's the answer. That's where he is. Not where he is from.. or are you saying the underground birthed him? Interesting.. you're going to fail to see the point though. I'm looking at both trailers from the perspective of someone who has never played a game.. both of them from that standpoint. And for both of them you can only get the basics of what's going on. Dig any deeper and you have to look up lore.. so if one fails so does the other. What is so hard to understand about that?

And just to top it off. I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to the game lore. I never once called Bahamut by the name of Dalamund. I never even mentioned it until you tried to say I did. Bahamut was imprisoned inside of Dalamund. So I fail to see how a Wiki would prove me wrong.

You haven't answered anything directly. You've just twisted it to suit your needs. I live in reality by the way.. reality and logic. Never took your arguments to an extreme.. I could if you wanted. But that would be a waste of time.

*sees fight above* Wow...

OT: Still not interested, not into MMO's and am certainly NOT ever going to pay for subscription fees.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here