Trailers: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - End of an Era Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2

some people that come across this thread might be under the impression what you say is true. let me put this bias dribble back into reality.

CriticKitten:
Technically, no I don't have to give them any credit whatsoever. They convinced people to spend money on a pile of crap that they promised to fix but never did,

are you trying to imply any game with less then favorable reviews shouldn't even be on the market? last i checked this is a relatively free market and people are allowed to spend their money on what they want.

the game, a monthly subscription game has been of free subscription for over 2 years. SE is loosing a tremendous amount of money to refurbish this game and pay for server maintenance. they have sent 3 formal letters of apology to the community already and her you are kicking them while they're down. pathetic.

also,that's a very stupid statement to make saying they haven't "fixed" the game. they have patched the initial game, reshuffled the development team and are in the works of completely remaking the game. that's not fixing. that's fixing AND improving.

CriticKitten:
and then they later opt to close down and replace with a new game. Will they be asking people to pay for the new game, too? Why should I respect this decision when it's only a decision they had to make because they made such a terrible game to start with? >_>

why should you respect this decision? you shouldn't. people like you who complain on the internet like this are trash. your ignorance really shows with every post of yours.

first of all, when a new hand picked development team was introduced, they asked the community if they would like to currently keep going with the patches like they have been or completely redesign the game. an overwhelming majority was in favor of a full redesign.

the decision was made by the players of FFXIV. not corporate.

CriticKitten:
And this trailer does nothing to convince me they learned from the last game, either. It's the same-old. Flashy CGI trailer with lots of pretty stuff in it, but no substance or context to any of what is happening so there's no reason for me to CARE about what's happening. And still no footage of the game itself in the trailer. I know this is becoming a "thing" but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I want to see the game I'm playing before I play it, and I can't be alone in that sentiment. So why is this okay?

this "trailer" is not a trailer. the OP was misinformed. this is a cgi cutscene depicting the end of a story arc, there will be a time skip and a new story arc will begin. again, misinformed assumptions and preconceptions.

What i really wanted to say is the new development team is working hard to get this game to satisfactory levels. yoshi-p, the new director constantly posts on the forums and updates us on what is happening each week. he is a good dev and a nice guy. you shouldn't throw burning acid at his face because of past mistakes from the old development team

fatebound:
some people that come across this thread might be under the impression what you say is true. let me put this bias dribble back into reality.

Adorable. So YOU, an obvious fanboi of the game, intend to instruct ME in how to be unbiased.

This is comedy gold.

Let's just see how long it takes before this post runs into a logical fallacy, shall we?

are you trying to imply any game with less then favorable reviews shouldn't even be on the market? last i checked this is a relatively free market and people are allowed to spend their money on what they want.

Aaaaaand time. Wow, only two sentences, congrats, that's a new record.

This is a strawman. And a bad one at that. That isn't even remotely what I said. You're constructing a false weak point and beating on it like a dead horse, but it fails because you didn't even properly comprehend what you quoted.

the game, a monthly subscription game has been of free subscription for over 2 years. SE is loosing a tremendous amount of money to refurbish this game and pay for server maintenance. they have sent 3 formal letters of apology to the community already and her you are kicking them while they're down. pathetic.

And they SHOULD lose a lot of money, because they made a terrible product that didn't at all cater to what their fans wanted.

Weren't you just saying that people should feel free to spend money on whatever they want? So why should I throw a pity party for their dev team when they made a crappy game and everyone rightly decided NOT to play it? Sorry, but as you yourself pointed out, that's how a free market works.

also,that's a very stupid statement to make saying they haven't "fixed" the game. they have patched the initial game, reshuffled the development team and are in the works of completely remaking the game. that's not fixing. that's fixing AND improving.

And yet the game was still loaded with bugs and broken, mangled concepts that had to be stripped out wholesale because they were just BAD ideas. The new game, in fact, is an acknowledgement that the game they WANT to create is literally impossible to create on the existing engine. That's why they're starting over.

why should you respect this decision? you shouldn't. people like you who complain on the internet like this are trash. your ignorance really shows with every post of yours.

Argumentum ad hominem. Nice, you're already up to two logical fallacies and still haven't presented a valid point of contention. Shall we go for three?

first of all, when a new hand picked development team was introduced, they asked the community if they would like to currently keep going with the patches like they have been or completely redesign the game. an overwhelming majority was in favor of a full redesign.

the decision was made by the players of FFXIV. not corporate.

Wrong.

Let's not pretend that the players get to decide how games operate and run. The decision to gather player input on the subject, the decision to put "scrap it and start over" on the table as an option, and the final decision to scrap the game? Those were ALL choices made by the dev team. The dev team could have chosen to ignore the players entirely on this one, but didn't because those were the few players they had left and they weren't keen on pissing them off any more.

But let's stop pretending that the players "chose" this, like it was somehow an executive decision by the players to decide how the dev team does things. Because no game runs like that. The dev team makes the executive decisions. You just got a chance to provide your input on the subject, and they agreed with your input. You don't run the game, they do. And acting like they should get big pats on the back for following their players' leads when it's rather obvious that's what they wanted to do anyways....needless to say, that's a ridiculous notion.

this "trailer" is not a trailer. the OP was misinformed. this is a cgi cutscene depicting the end of a story arc, there will be a time skip and a new story arc will begin. again, misinformed assumptions and preconceptions.

Except that it's being used to help advertise the new game. Which technically makes it a trailer. So, call it whatever you like if it makes you feel better, but it all boils down to the same thing.

What i really wanted to say is the new development team is working hard to get this game to satisfactory levels. yoshi-p, the new director constantly posts on the forums and updates us on what is happening each week. he is a good dev and a nice guy. you shouldn't throw burning acid at his face because of past mistakes from the old development team

I didn't, you're just pretending that I did.

What I said was that this trailer doesn't, in any way, inspire me to play this game. At all. It's precisely the same CGI garble that was advertised way back at E3 when the game was first announced. Nothing comprehensible to a non-player, and nothing that is going to interest new players. You can say "but it's just a cutscene", and I say "then why didn't they ONLY show it in-game before the game was shut off, if indeed it's not meant to advertise the game?". And the answer, of course, is this: because they wanted to use it as an initial jumping point to help advertise the NEW upcoming game to people who didn't play the original one. The problem is, it doesn't show us anything new that makes us want to pay for it monthly.

What you're not understanding (probably because fanboi-ism blinds even the wisest of us) is that while this spectacle is all nice and pretty for the players, non-players such as myself are the people that Enix needs to attract now, because the original game was NOT making them enough money to maintain it properly and has likely suffered greatly from the extended free periods. They need to attract new players, and they will not be able to do that by:
a) showing them MORE flashy CGI with no substance, the same thing that kept many people focused on WoW instead of looking at FF14 as a serious contender
b) expecting new players to pay monthly for a completely untested new game that carries the same name as the massive critical flop that is FF14

They've put themselves in a corner, and it's going to be hard for them to recoup their losses unless they reach out to new players. Which is something they clearly aren't doing.

CriticKitten:
-Huge arse rant snip-

...Ok, this is getting out of hand. We GET you don't like the game. We get you think it's a waste of time/energy/resources/whatever. But generally, I think your bullhorn is getting too loud and annoying, so please step off the soapbox and go do something else (draw/read/write/go shopping/play halo or some other fps/ANYTHING ELSE) and stop trying to lengthen this opinion war. We're mostly TL:DRing it now anyways.

The basic thing to take from the original OP is this: the Cutscene isn't a trailer, it shows that the ingame lore says that the world just got blasted to all hell and that a new chapter in the story has started (I mean FFXI nearly got sucked into the void, Had Bahamut and his dragon possy declare that the 5 races needed to be obliterated, had gods go possess people and possibly screw up SEVERAL time lines, oh and ripped open parallel universes and letting those monsters go to town on the main universe, and FFXIV just has a huge dragon going nuts on the land, I'd say it has some catching up to do in the whole world going to hell in a handbasket). It is NOT a gameplay trailer. It is mostly geared towards the fans/players. It's pretty. We get SE does pretty Cut scenes and we get they SCREWED UP by not listening to us beta players when we basically screamed at them BAD IDEA. Some of us will never go back; others are more forgiving.

Let them put their cards on the table and show us what they've done. You don't need to play the game, it's obviously not up your alley, so just move on before you have a heart attack.

So the new FF game is in fact a movie? It's going to be a pretty movie if this trailer has anything to say about it, which is nice

-M

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or