Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The only thing I really disagreed with was Yahtzee's opinion of Haytham . The entire rest of the game playing as boring old Connor I kept wishing I had instead kept playing as the understated British bad ass. Not to mention that he made some way better arguments over Connor's naive and repeated trumpeting about some antiquated concept of freedom that he never really bothers to define.

Evil Smurf:

Tony2077:
It's fine and people like you can go away. God you're starting to get annoying.

So what did you like about Assassin's Creed 3? Seriously is it worth buying?

Personally, I think it is, but since I know not everyone thinks like me I'll just say that if you liked the previous games, then I think you'll probably like this.

Though looking back at my playtime, I have to admit that I think Yahtzee is right about there not being much "sneaking and stabbing". There's certainly plenty of both, but they're rarely seen together in this game. Regardless, the combat is a blast, running through trees is still fun (no, there aren't any super-tall-towers to jump from, but I don't think this should define Assassin's Creed), and hunting adds a different twist on the typical AC gameplay.

Tony2077:
i'm having fun with the game and i feel there is something missing from these videos lately oh i remember what it is humor

Dude, it's just a game review. You don't have to be so hurt.

Casual Shinji:

canadamus_prime:
Sounds to me, from this review anyway, that the developers got confused about what kind of game they were making, some thought they were making Farmville, some thought they were making Port Royale, and some thought they were making Age of Empires; and in the end they decided to hybridize them all together and see what happens.

Nah, Ubisoft simply reckons that in order to improve upon a franchise all you need to do is add more stuff each sequel. Doesn't matter if the initial gameplay focus goes completely out the window, as long as there's more meaningless stuff to do. After all, that's the only way to create engaging gameplay, right?

Also setting it in colonial America didn't help much either. Oh man, woods and shacks - can't wait to parkour through that shit.

Yeah, I knew that. I wasn't seriously suggesting that game development is that disorganized. Esp. when I know it isn't.

remnant_phoenix:
This may be the first time that I've genuninely been unable to tell if he, on the whole, liked it or not.

He spend most of the time complaining about the side-stuff and lodged a couple complaints against the story, but he never said if he still liked the parkour/assassination gameplay, or the ship mission gameplay for that matter.

Amidst all the complaining about stuff in past games, he did make it clear that he liked them, all the way through to Revelations. For this one, I'm not sure.

I usually scoff at people when they say something along the lines of "So, did he like it or not?" Now the shoe is on my foot I suppose.

He said it was BORING. For a game that's one of the worst thing you can say about it.

Two-A:

Tony2077:
i'm having fun with the game and i feel there is something missing from these videos lately oh i remember what it is humor

I'm not hurt its just that humor has gotten a little stale on these lately it sound like he's just ripping them apart because he can now. its the people here that seem to be making a mountain out of a dirt pile

okay 1. games aren't about rewards, they're about...playing the game...the "reward" you get from playing the naval missions is a face-smashingly awesome and novel gaming experience (well, if you're baked anyway)
2. Connor's dad speech non-bubble made me lol really hard.

AC1 was a bit repetitive and it also lacked polish in some aspects, but the core gameplay was really good.

I haven't played any of the AC games after the first one, but from watching Yahtzee's reviews, it seems like the series is starting to lose focus.

I really wan't to check out the other games in the series. I like open world games and I also lke side quests and extra stuff, as long as it doesn't interfere too much with my general progression.

Also, the "historially important goose" line was simply brilliant.

I love the series and had fun in this game, but it's definitely worse than previous games. I'm playing homestead missions and seriously thinking to myself, "Why am I doing this? Am I supposed to care?"

The whole crafting and convoy thing was implemented so badly, I just kept thinking of such better interface designs they could have used.

Some of my best moments of this game were the assassination contracts where you kill generic soldiers on the map, just because... you actually get to Assassinate someone!

I stopped listening after he said the minimap was bukkaked with objective markers and shit.

really?

I agree with a lot of things said in this video, but I completely disagree that it was boring. For me, having learned about the American Revolution all through high school made it that much incredible to be meeting historical figures that are lauded as heroes in our culture, and also to be present during significant moments in history. Many moments of the game gave me goosebumps, especially since the game portrays the "heroes" in a more realistic manner. So basically, I felt more invested in the story even though Connor was a boring character. His dad, though. He was awesome.

And I never touched the crafting and farmville faffing about. I stuck to faffing about in the woods hunting cute bunnies. I do really miss the assassination assignments. Those were really fun. It annoyed me that the "assassination assignments" were just "Go kill this guy walking around."

Tony2077:

Two-A:

Tony2077:

I'm not hurt its just that humor has gotten a little stale on these lately it sound like he's just ripping them apart because he can now. its the people here that seem to be making a mountain out of a dirt pile

That's subjective (I found last week's episode funny, for example), but it's not the fact that you called him unfunny that made me think you were "hurt", it's just that your previous post had a "Hey this game is fun btw you suck" tone to it. I guess that was not how you wanted it to sound.

OT: I'm actually having a blast with this game, I played Assassin's Creed more for the platforming than the assassinations honestly. Although I would like the game to stop railroading me with the optional objectives :/.

still have to wait for the pc version. i expected that the game will have some flaws but i think it will be fun to play. i still enjoy revelations and im eager for part 3.

Two-A:

Tony2077:

Two-A:

That's subjective (I found last week's episode funny, for example), but it's not the fact that you called him unfunny that made me think you were "hurt", it's just that your previous post had a "Hey this game is fun btw you suck" tone to it. I guess that was not how you wanted it to sound.

OT: I'm actually having a blast with this game, I played Assassin's Creed more for the platforming than the assassinations honestly. Although I would like the game to stop railroading me with the optional objectives :/.

well i think your right but i don't know i just don't enjoy his newer videos if that is what your talking about I'm thinking about deleting the book mark and just making a smt/persona club one

GAunderrated:

Porecomesis:
You know, there's something really weird going on when the game looks more sensible than Yahtzee.

Assassin's Creed III: ... What is it with you and stabbing people?
Yahtzee: What is it with you and NOT stabbing people?!

Strange how our desire for games to be more mature about themselves has lead to this.

Well I could understand your point of view if the game wasn't called, you know, assassins creed. Which implies being an assassin which normally implicates some form of stabbing and or killing. People play assassins creed to be an assassin, not a fetch quest/farmville minigame.

I know that. I'm just pointing out that it's a bit weird.

Sadly I agree with Yahtzee, so much faffing so little assassinating. I want to finish it but it's just so damn boring! I'm in sequence 8/13 I think and I've killed two people, TWO! It's almost as if a couple of months before the game was due the creators went oh yeah oops there was a supposed to be a story in this game. It's sad because I love the series but it keeps letting me down :(

Beyond not rushing it out (To which I attribute some of the glitchiness like soldiers LOSing through walls and the amount of mistimed dialogue bits), how I'd approach some of the issues I found with it.

I ignored the feather collecting because eh, theres some folks who enjoy that for whatever and I didn't find it a particular bother to ignore (The map actually lets you hide things this time around)

(Seriously, theres a bucketful of spoilers in here of varying significance)

PunkRex:
As an Englishmen I find this game offensive, there isn't nearly enough queuing.

Penny Arcade has you covered:

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/11/05

Korzack:
Assassin's Creed Ken Dodd version?
I'd buy that.

Exactly what I thought.....

Although Ubisoft would probably find some way to turn him into a mopy depressive with no personality somehow.......

Ticklestick assassinations!

Ed130:
So the game should be called Farmville: 1780 instead of Assassins Creed.

I liked the AC series (to the point of dressing up as Altair at conventions) due to the assassinations.

I guess I'll go back to playing Dishonoured.

I just went back and played ACII, you know to play an actually Assassin's Creed game!

Oh and has everyone noticed a disturbing turn in gaming this year?
Seriously alot of the big AAA games this year they all seem to have depressing endings!

putowtin:

Ed130:
So the game should be called Farmville: 1780 instead of Assassins Creed.

I liked the AC series (to the point of dressing up as Altair at conventions) due to the assassinations.

I guess I'll go back to playing Dishonoured.

I just went back and played ACII, you know to play an actually Assassin's Creed game!

Oh and has everyone noticed a disturbing turn in gaming this year?
Seriously alot of the big AAA games this year they all seem to have depressing endings!

ACII is in-fact on my list to be replayed for that very reason.

Yeah, several AAA's do have depressing endings. Then again so did Half Life 2 EP2, Dragon Age 2 etc.

Ed130:

putowtin:

Ed130:
Snip

Snippy

ACII is in-fact on my list to be replayed for that very reason.

Yeah, several AAA's do have depressing endings. Then again so did Half Life 2 EP2, Dragon Age 2 etc.

But both of your examples have sequels to fix that (well Half Life will when Valve get on it!)
Mass Effect 3 was the end (of that storyline) And Assassin's Creed III was...

It seems to me that gaming companies are taking the easy way out...

A big problem I had with ASS CREED 3 is that conner is boring and lacks character.

There's not much creed in ASS CREED 3 pertaining to conner's story, the ASS CREED "nothing is true, everything is permitted" wasn't mentioned ONCE!

The other problem is that ASS CREED 3 is pretty much a rail adventure, regarding conner we can accept since it's already happened according to it's universe. But Desmond, it's real time and we should have more freedom in our choice, and we all know that that's a lie if you beat the game. We control nothing.

Another thing that I've notice is an early plot hole, Haythan fucked the indian woman but we still get to see his side of the story. That is impossible according to ASS CREED's logics, we conceived and our genetic memories moved on to our offspring as showed on ASS CREED brotherhood.

I don't really want to mention all the glitches I had with the game since I've already said my piece on the official review.

*Contently sighs*
Another episode of Zero Punctuation, another week of Life I can trudge through.
Thank you Yahtzee, for giving me the will to continue.

AC1 sucked balls, it was the most repetitive thing since buttering bread and painting fences.

The series only got better and better after that. Yes fair enough ac3 was a bit of a history lesson which is gonna make most of england hate it and anyone under the age of 21 due to the worldwide infection of ADHD.

"oh look at at me all i wanna do is repeatedly stab different people in the exact same way".

Because that is so much fun.

Anyway, first review i dislike from yahtzee. I want it to win GOTY but we all know whats going to take that apple.

Anyway bring on hitman absolution. Maybe his multitude of guns might fix no stabby stabby withdrawal symptoms.

How can anyone take this guy seriously when he drones on and on about military shooters being generic and praises the games of old like doom yet trashes serious sam 3 and bulletstorm for DOING WHAT HE WANTS!? He's like a spoiled rich child screaming for attention hating everything popular when he gets everything handed to him as is.

He hates EVERYTHING simply for the sake of hating it. I'm so sick of him, he reminds me of a spoiled self entitled brat who thinks every game should be made to his specific tastes for the WEEK before he changes his mind again by getting distracted and entralled by something else more shiny. It's even worse he uses the old school thing to garner favoritism from his fans and then turns around and trashes the games like them for lack of innovation to garner favoritism from the OTHER crowd.

Your not an old school gamer yahtzee, your not even a gamer. Your everything that is WRONG with the industry. And I've had enough of you and I have no idea how you managed to get this far with your web of lies.

It seems they learned nothing from the last 2 games, instead of expanding the free-running, stabbing and stealth... they added boring game mechanics and set the game in the most boring part of history with uninteresting assassin character... its painful to see that even future Desmond got a better storyline.

Zeckt:
How can anyone take this guy seriously when he drones on and on about military shooters being generic and praises the games of old like doom yet trashes serious sam 3 and bulletstorm for DOING WHAT HE WANTS!? He's like a spoiled rich child screaming for attention hating everything popular when he gets everything handed to him as is.

He hates EVERYTHING simply for the sake of hating it. I'm so sick of him, he reminds me of a spoiled self entitled brat who thinks every game should be made to his specific tastes for the WEEK before he changes his mind again by getting distracted and entralled by something else more shiny.

He actually liked Serious Sam 3 and some parts of Bulletstorm, except that Bulletstorm added boring elements that only hampered the old school shooter formula. Like Jam smearing on the screen, cover based combat, regeneration health and having to press a extra key to move fast... and that Serious Sam 3 didn't do much to revolutionize the genre like Painkiller did. Anyways, any guy who holds Painkiller up as a great example of a FPS must have good taste.
If you don't enjoy him ripping games apart, than perhaps critique isn't your form of entertainment... and perhaps you should put fingers in your ears and live on mars.

Shoggoth2588:
Wait, didn't fans vote on this time period?!

Don't look at me, I was holding out for fuedal Japan.

This game feels like it has taken inspiration from Lionhead studios.

ie: "you can, but why would you want to" side quests.

Ass creed 3 is Fable 3? 0_o

The thing that was the funniest about this review for me was the end...

Hey strange hooded knife-covered man on a bench did you happen to see a strange hooded knife-covered man run through here

I stopped with the series after finishing the second game. If a game is going to hold my hand the whole way along and not offer any challenge...well, then that has stopped being a game to me and borders on work.

It seems like Yahtzee is implying that Americans made AC3.

I know America is the bestest country evar and have invented almost everything great in the last 600 years, but we gotta give this one to Canadian and France.
Also: stop stealing our bit. Only Americans get to steal credit for things. We don't need help.

And I had no idea that so many people had seen Brain Dead. Nice.

Spookimitsu:

Shoggoth2588:
Wait, didn't fans vote on this time period?!

Don't look at me, I was holding out for fuedal Japan.

Where and when was this? And what were the other choices?

It was fun for a while but once I got through with the main story I didn't really care about the game. Still find myself playing brotherhood for some reason. Still see multiplayer as pointless and repetitive, probably why Yahtzee never bothered to mention it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here