GinxTV: Secrets Of XCOM Design

Secrets Of XCOM Design

Ginx takes you behind the wildly popular XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Watch Video

This game look relevant to my interests. GINX, I'm loving the videos! That Dark Souls one was incredible too.

Was that a spoiler at the end there? Not cool. Not cool at all.

It would be a stretch to consider this video a 'secrets of'. I was expecting a more in-depth analysis of the game design. This was presented more like a "WTF is..." ala Totalbiscuit, a general and brief overview of the game and features.

And Nimzabaat, the scene that I think you are referring to is not exactly a spoiler, it's part of the game's game-over condition. I would not consider it a spoiler exactly, but is maybe not appropriate for this 'WTF is...' style of video intended for people who have never heard of this XCOM game before.

The base management is there, but in a horrifically stripped out format. Half the point of having multiple bases and designing their layout was the fact that aliens could, and would, storm the things and how you laid it out would impact the mission.

The game comes together nicely and gripped me really well... but I've never felt the urge for a second playthrough.

Wow... put a spoiler warning on the video, please! You should really think about this kind of thing, as plenty of people will want to know more about the game before they get it themselves, and spoiling aspects of it isn't the best way to go about this.

Nimzabaat:

It isn't a spoiler. Its the lose cutscene. Same thing as the original XCOM. We all know what happens when the aliens win, we die.

Not much of a spoiler. Aliens didn't come here to buy condos and live in peace. This isn't Mass Effect.

Zagzag:
Wow... put a spoiler warning on the video, please! You should really think about this kind of thing, as plenty of people will want to know more about the game before they get it themselves, and spoiling aspects of it isn't the best way to go about this.

Look up.

Klaflefalumpf:
The base management is there, but in a horrifically stripped out format. Half the point of having multiple bases and designing their layout was the fact that aliens could, and would, storm the things and how you laid it out would impact the mission.

The game comes together nicely and gripped me really well... but I've never felt the urge for a second playthrough.

Base defense makes no sense. If aliens know where you are, why not just bombard the base? Why bother with a ground assault? Hell, why LIMIT your assault? Make it infinite aliens, instant lose.

The MAJORITY of the original XCOM rooms were defense rooms. Even then, all bases ended up the same. Same square grid always.

Multiple bases ARE there in the new one. Its called interceptor bases. The rest is satellites because radars are anachronisms.

Multiple bases in the original XCOM was just THAT. airfields, and detectors.

Ultratwinkie:

Nimzabaat:

It isn't a spoiler. Its the lose cutscene. Same thing as the original XCOM. We all know what happens when the aliens win, we die.

Not much of a spoiler. Aliens didn't come here to buy condos and live in peace. This isn't Mass Effect.

Zagzag:

Look up.

Klaflefalumpf:

Base defense makes no sense. If aliens know where you are, why not just bombard the base? Why bother with a ground assault? Hell, why LIMIT your assault? Make it infinite aliens, instant lose.

The MAJORITY of the original XCOM rooms were defense rooms. Even then, all bases ended up the same. Same square grid always.

Multiple bases ARE there in the new one. Its called interceptor bases. The rest is satellites because radars are anachronisms.

Okay so revealing how the game ends ISN'T a spoiler? You... you... you lost me. I think the ending is an important enough plot point to keep hidden for those who haven't completed the game yet.

It was fun to see your base laid out and be able to fight the aliens in recognizable rooms. I still miss that part. Well, since the aliens always attacked while your best equipped squad was away on a mission, maybe I don't miss it that much.

Nimzabaat:

Ultratwinkie:

Nimzabaat:

Zagzag:

Look up.

Klaflefalumpf:

Okay so revealing how the game ends ISN'T a spoiler? You... you... you lost me. I think the ending is an important enough plot point to keep hidden for those who haven't completed the game yet.

It was fun to see your base laid out and be able to fight the aliens in recognizable rooms. I still miss that part. Well, since the aliens always attacked while your best equipped squad was away on a mission, maybe I don't miss it that much.

Its not how it ENDS.

ITS HOW YOU LOSE. ITS NOT THE ENDING. ITS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU COMPLETELY FAIL AND LOSE THE ENTIRE GAME BECAUSE YOU HAD A BAD STRATEGY.

XCOM IS LIKE CHESS. YOU CAN LOSE AT CHESS TO YOUR OPPONENT IF YOU HAVE A BAD STRATEGY.

HAVE WE FORGOTTEN WE CAN LOSE AT A GAME FOR ONCE? XCOM ISN'T ON RAILS LIKE A MILITARY SHOOTER WOULD BE. YOU CAN ACTUALLY LOSE HERE.

I think I made it clear the first time. It seems I need caps and bold so you can see it.

Ultratwinkie:

Nimzabaat:

Ultratwinkie:

Look up.

Its not how it ENDS.

ITS HOW YOU LOSE. ITS NOT THE ENDING. ITS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU COMPLETELY FAIL AND LOSE THE ENTIRE GAME BECAUSE YOU HAD A BAD STRATEGY.

XCOM IS LIKE CHESS. YOU CAN LOSE AT CHESS TO YOUR OPPONENT IF YOU HAVE A BAD STRATEGY.

HAVE WE FORGOTTEN WE CAN LOSE AT A GAME FOR ONCE? XCOM ISN'T ON RAILS LIKE A MILITARY SHOOTER WOULD BE. YOU CAN ACTUALLY LOSE HERE.

I think I made it clear the first time. It seems I need caps and bold so you can see it.

A spoiler is any element of any summary or description of any piece of fiction that reveals any plot element which will give away the OUTCOME of a dramatic episode within the work of fiction OR THE CONCLUSION OF THE ENTIRE WORK. It can also be used to refer to any piece of information regarding any part of a given media. Because enjoyment of fiction sometimes depends upon the dramatic tension and suspense which arises within it, the external revelation of such plot elements can "spoil" the enjoyment that some consumers of the narrative would otherwise have experienced.

I can put the whole thing in caps if that would help drive the point home. I would have liked to see those story elements play out organically because I enjoy the game.

Nimzabaat:

Ultratwinkie:

Nimzabaat:

Its not how it ENDS.

A spoiler is any element of any summary or description of any piece of fiction that reveals any plot element which will give away the OUTCOME of a dramatic episode within the work of fiction OR THE CONCLUSION OF THE ENTIRE WORK. It can also be used to refer to any piece of information regarding any part of a given media. Because enjoyment of fiction sometimes depends upon the dramatic tension and suspense which arises within it, the external revelation of such plot elements can "spoil" the enjoyment that some consumers of the narrative would otherwise have experienced.

I can put the whole thing in caps if that would help drive the point home. I would have liked to see those story elements play out organically because I enjoy the game.

Oh right because now we know what the LOSING SCREEN looks like. The game is totally ruined forever. /sarcasm

Not the story. Not anything else except how you lose which is OBVIOUS to 99.99% of the population.

Oh no, the game is ruined forever because it shows an inconsequential and obvious screen of what happens when you lose. /sarcasm

I seen game trailer give off more spoilers than that video did. Get a thicker skin, the losing screen isn't anything special.

XCOM isn't trying to tell a story. It never was. Its about shooting aliens and defending earth. Its story is simplistic, obvious, and there to string a vague logic to the world.

Suspense and tension all comes from the battles and strategy portions. Something that is random and cant be spoiled. The story is literally nothing.

If XCOM has a good tension filled story, then suddenly borderlands becomes fucking hamlet.

Ultratwinkie:

Nimzabaat:

Ultratwinkie:

Its not how it ENDS.

Oh right because now we know what the LOSING SCREEN looks like. The game is totally ruined forever. /sarcasm

Not the story. Not anything else except how you lose which is OBVIOUS to 99.99% of the population.

Oh no, the game is ruined forever because it shows an inconsequential and obvious screen of what happens when you lose. /sarcasm

I seen game trailer give off more spoilers than that video did. Get a thicker skin, the losing screen isn't anything special.

XCOM isn't trying to tell a story. It never was. Its about shooting aliens and defending earth. Its story is simplistic, obvious, and there to string a vague logic to the world.

Suspense and tension all comes from the battles and strategy portions. Something that is random and cant be spoiled. The story is literally nothing.

If XCOM has a good tension filled story, then suddenly borderlands becomes fucking hamlet.

It's still a spoiler. Try to lose with SOME dignity man.

I was really disappointed by that spoiler. I hadn't seen the bad ending yet :(

Nimzabaat:

Ultratwinkie:

Nimzabaat:

its only a spoiler if you want to go in blind.

even then, the trailers gave away more spoilers than anything. They never cared the story. Everyone KNOWS what happens, even before they play. Hell, we known for 18 years that the story is. No one gives a shit.

To say XCOM's story is ruined is to assume it HAD a story in the first place.

Ultratwinkie:

Nimzabaat:

Ultratwinkie:

its only a spoiler if you want to go in blind.

even then, the trailers gave away more spoilers than anything. They never cared the story. Everyone KNOWS what happens, even before they play. Hell, we known for 18 years that the story is. No one gives a shit.

To say XCOM's story is ruined is to assume it HAD a story in the first place.

I didn't know the story :P. If I did it wouldn't be a problem. Yah, we get it, you're some kind of Xcom veteran demi-god and you know everything there is to know about Xcom and anyone who doesn't know what you know is an idiot /sarcasm -_-

"Hell, we known for 18 years that the story is..." <--- Speak for yourself. No, no I have not.

"No one gives a shit." <--- Again, you're wrong. I give a shit.

Wow really the biggest point of discussion is a pissing match about a spoiler reveal of the "you lose" cut scene? Ok so maybe it is a poor choice to show the ending cut scene for defeat but it isn't much of a stretch to imagine that being the earth's only defense against an invading alien force and losing is going to result in having a bad time. Also i wouldn't really consider the losing cut scene to be really worthy of a spoiler alert because it takes 10 minutes to start playing on impossible, skip every mission, and lose. But to each there own i guess.

Anyways, i gotta say it bothers me they refer to the original X-Com (aka UFO: Enemy Unknown) as a comparison to the XCOM reboot and yet they showed Terror From the Deep. Just seems odd to use the reskin cash in instead of the original.

Also one of the most engaging elements of the original and to a lesser extent the new game is the organic nature of the game. With the original especially you didn't have scripted events, main characters, or any defined plot line and yet every unit has its own randomly generated name, stats, and most importantly "luck". This completely unstructured execution gave a real since of creating your own story with your own soldiers and not having a predetermined outcome on what mission comes next, who is going to survive, and who could end up being a super star soldier. You grow an attachment to soldiers because of the success they have (those clutch reaction shots, the auto shots that miss and hit some alien off screen), surviving a heavy plasma shots to the face with no armor, etc) and not because some writer thought it would be cool to have them do some "epic" things in a cut scene or in a scripted event.
I guess sadly the new game kinda misses the mark on that with some of the more scripted things like counsel events, and the more plot related events that advance the game's progress but at least your soldiers are still shaped by the whims of the RNG gods and there success and failures are often outside of your control and thus creating a mental history for each character.

At least for me this aspect was one of the greatest factors in the excitement, heartbreak, and lasting impact the original X-Com created for me.

h2oxy:
I didn't know the story :P. If I did it wouldn't be a problem. Yah, we get it, you're some kind of Xcom veteran demi-god and you know everything there is to know about Xcom and anyone who doesn't know what you know is an idiot /sarcasm -_-

"Hell, we known for 18 years that the story is..." <--- Speak for yourself. No, no I have not.

"No one gives a shit." <--- Again, you're wrong. I give a shit.

To be fair, in a game that has been marketed with the knowledge you can lose this and have to start over, it's not that big of a spoiler if you can really call it one. But I do understand your complaint, it has validity.

ON TOPIC: That was a cool little video, I didn't know about the games that inspire and whilst I played the Original, I never paid attention to who made, so the whole Gollop thing makes a bit more sense now.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here