Miracle of Sound: Reclaimer (Halo 4)

Pages PREV 1 2

Man, Gav! So many good songs in such a short time! I've never played the Halo games myself, yet it was easy to tell just how well everything worked between the song and the video.

I'm kinda curious about something, though. Back when you started the one-song-a-month schedule, the increase in quality was apparent right off the bat, but all of the songs you've been cranking out lately are just as good as those are. So were these last few songs easy to write, or did you really buckle down and just make it all work?

T0ad 0f Truth:
EDIT: Ahhh I forgot what thread this was! Sorry for Nerding over Halo in your thread Gav :(

:) Not to speak for Gav, but hey, we're all nerds here!

Wanna split this off into another thread?

In every clip of Cortana, she always had that same expression on her face, like, "Oh I'm so needy can you help me"... I mean, really? I haven't played Halo 4, but what did they DO to the character of Cortana?

I love love love the bass/kick on this one!

You fucked up, Gavin. Now that I know you can make music for Halo, that's all I'm ever going to want again in my life. All of my aspirations have been nullified by this revelation.

MiracleOfSound:

UNHchabo:

One thing I noticed, only because I'm a drummer with a pair of studio headphones... :) The crash cymbal sound you mainly use in the chorus sounds strange. The only thing I can think of is that each time the sound gets played, it's muting the previous one, which sounds unrealistic. It also sounds like you're using eighth notes there; I think the problem could be alleviated with quarter notes instead.

It's quarter notes, it's just heavily compressed against the kick drum to give a percussive 'pumping' effect. It is the kick and snare drum that mutes the cymbal, not the next cymbal hit. It's a trick to make the kick and snare feel louder and more punchy to the ear. Here's another example of this technique at 2.09:

And another at 1.27 here

If you listen carefully you can hear the crash get sucked drastically down in volume on each kick drum hit. It's too extreme a compression for many tastes, personally I like it. It's hard to emulate a real drumkit with programmed drums, this effect to me somewhat helps fool the ear a little.

Great! As a drummer myself, I love a bit of drum nerd talk. Another great song Gav, you get better and better.

MiracleOfSound:
It's quarter notes, it's just heavily compressed against the kick drum to give a percussive 'pumping' effect. It is the kick and snare drum that mutes the cymbal, not the next cymbal hit. It's a trick to make the kick and snare feel louder and more punchy to the ear. Here's another example of this technique at 2.09:

{video snipped}

And another at 1.27 here

{video snipped}

If you listen carefully you can hear the crash get sucked drastically down in volume on each kick drum hit. It's too extreme a compression for many tastes, personally I like it. It's hard to emulate a real drumkit with programmed drums, this effect to me somewhat helps fool the ear a little.

Ok, I can hear it, and I also now hear it in your older songs, including the chorus of Sovngarde Song, which I think is amazing. :-D

I guess it's just more noticeable in Reclaimer than any of your previous work. At this tempo, maybe I'd like it more with a darker, faster-decaying cymbal like a china? Or maybe if the crash was further in the background? In any case, remember that I'm not trying to criticize; I'm just trying to talk through my opinion. I still love the song!

UNHchabo:

Ok, I can hear it, and I also now hear it in your older songs, including the chorus of Sovngarde Song, which I think is amazing. :-D

I guess it's just more noticeable in Reclaimer than any of your previous work. At this tempo, maybe I'd like it more with a darker, faster-decaying cymbal like a china? Or maybe if the crash was further in the background? In any case, remember that I'm not trying to criticize; I'm just trying to talk through my opinion. I still love the song!

On the contrary, criticism is welcome :)

Oh my god, I just realized, who's singing to who?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here