Escapist Podcast: 068: The Bell Tolls For the Twinkie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

068: The Bell Tolls For the Twinkie

This week, we discuss the closing of Hostess snack cakes, Desert Bus and our thoughts on Elder Scrolls Online. We also talk about what films have been improved on their books and Susan discusses SpiderMan: Turn off the Dark.

Apologies: The audio started peaking and I didn't catch it while recording.

Watch Video

It only went to 57 mins for me in the middle of when they were talking about starship troopers.

Hurray! There is a podcast this week! I missed you guys last week! Btw, it tooke a year to hear the difference between Justin and Greg on the podcast. But now on the 3rd series listen through, I know now every who is who.

Ditto. Seems to cut off early.

About freakin' time?
Seriously, what happened to you guys?
Theres no expo to hold you back, or you guys are actually going to do The Escapist Christmas Expo to something?

Seriously, wth happened to you guys?
Or you all decided to make this a bi-weekly podcast instead of a weekly podcast?

Please respond so the rest of us know wtf is going on!

when do we get the other half (part) It feels like a cliff hanger ending

OT: I wonder if Bob listens to these. I mean I know what is like to have someone go over work, and have people criticize it even when you know that it is bad. especially when it is the first thing of yours they have seen. its kind of like when the up and coming athlete who is trying out for their dream team, and they have the shittyest day ever.

I have never had these Hostess fruit pies, and I am kind of grateful I haven't.

Ramith:

I kind of feel like one of the horses being led with a carrot, and just when they deprive me of it, and let me get a good bite in they just take it away again.

That intermission song! I know that song! I wrote that song! My life is now complete.

On that last note I kinda prefer the movie Dracula to the book. I know people hate it for Keanu's anemic acting ability, changes in narrative, whatever. But the end of the movie was different from the end of the book in this respect - in the book Dracula dies on the carriage. He's stabbed in the chest, book over. But in the movie the stab doesn't quite kill him and we get the scene in the church where he first got his vampyrism. The cross heals, Dracula turns human, is beheaded by Mina. It's an added scene that adds closure to what was otherwise a rather fast and abrupt end which honestly should not have been.

What's up with the Podcast at the moment? We didn't get one last week and now this one gets cut off in the middle? Weird...

Hey everyone,

I've notified IT of the issue, and we'll hopefully get this resolved shortly! There appears to have been an odd glitch that is causing the podcat to cut out early on its Escapist page when it's playing fully in our content management system. Very unusual, but we're looking into it.

Thank you for your patience!

Its not just the playing through the CMS. I downloaded the mp3 file via the RSS and only got the 57 minutes as well.

The levels also seem to be a bit off compared to normal as well, although nobody else has mentioned it so maybe its just me. Im getting bits where I can barely hear Susan then other bits where everyone is laughing are topping out and turning into crackle, whereas usually in the past its been fine.

Migs:

Heh, Q4 is kind of a busy time for the year for us. Tack on the whole acquisition on top of that and I think that pretty well paints the picture.

Heads up however, we might not have one next week because of Thanksgiving. Yay turkey! But maybe we can wrangle some people together earlier in the week.

Eric the Orange:
It only went to 57 mins for me in the middle of when they were talking about starship troopers.

Ramith:

gardian06:
when do we get the other half (part) It feels like a cliff hanger ending

Mr.Wizard:
What's up with the Podcast at the moment? We didn't get one last week and now this one gets cut off in the middle? Weird...

Caffiene:
Its not just the playing through the CMS. I downloaded the mp3 file via the RSS and only got the 57 minutes as well.

Looks like I got it working, but if any of you still have problems with it let me know.

I just cleared the cache, closed down my browser (FireFox) refreshed the page and still only getting 57:15.. also noticed, the end time keeps jumping around from 57:10 to 57:20 until the video is fully loaded (@at 57:15)

Slycne:
if any of you still have problems with it let me know

*raises hand*

From the rss feed link its listed as an 84MB file but Im still getting the same 54MB file I got earlier.

Slycne:
snip...
Looks like I got it working, but if any of you still have problems with it let me know.

still seams to load only 57:14
Justen: "it's like in name alone"
Susan: "yah"
cut

I am not completely familiar with your system, but is the file that is supposed to be playing the right size for the full thing?

it might be one of those things where you have to take the whole video down, and then re-upload

@Slycne Thanks for the Heads up! I still have a vague understanding of Thanksgiving, it does't help at all that - where I live - we don't celebrate it at all.

As for the video(audio) problems, I never stream the podcast. I just download the sucker. Every time. So, doing that, the audio length is 57 minutes and 15 seconds while the file size is 54.9mb

Clearly, the file that is loaded in the custom player the Escapist is using - indefinably is streaming the wrong file.

New Expo!! YEEESSSS!!!!!! Super extremely happy I get a 2nd chance to go :)

Migs:
About freakin' time?
Seriously, what happened to you guys?
Theres no expo to hold you back, or you guys are actually going to do The Escapist Christmas Expo to something?

Seriously, wth happened to you guys?
Or you all decided to make this a bi-weekly podcast instead of a weekly podcast?

I'm glad you didn't ask nicely because they totally needed that kick in the butt. I mean no advanced warning for a schedule deviation!? learn how to run a Podcast pfttt. If I were you i'd demand your money back.

If we could get at least 500 to 1,000 members to demand refunds that'd be at least 0 x 500 which is like 0 dollars, can you imagine what the new overlords would think!? Yah they'd step in real fast. I mean 0 is usually associated with the word "free" but that's old hat. Just look at all the YouTube content you get for 0 so it totally has a value right? It's your moral obligation to demand what you pay for. Your case would be even better if you had to look at ads but sadly no podcast, no ads.

btw if they deny the refund, totally go to the credit card company, if they laugh at you, you can always talk trash about them on Yelp or something. Keep up the good fight!

Wait, wait, wait, wait...... Greg Tito did standup?

[Wanders off to do some searching]
[Returns]

Aha!

To elaborate on Bruno Mar's "Grenade"...

The song is about a love that is not returned and how he would remain loyal to her despite the pain it would cause. It's not a romantic love song, just an unrequited love song.

I never realized the ability to handle gross chores was that much of a plus. In that case allow me to point out you are talking to a man who can and has dissected octopi while giving 0 f*cks. Please form an orderly line to the left, ladies.

Jinkwai:

The song is about a love that is not returned and how he would remain loyal to her despite the pain it would cause. It's not a romantic love song, just an unrequited love song.

And yet, still really dumb, lyrically.

The RSS feed is pretty well borked too, even redownloaded just now. My podcast app reports it at 200 hours long and every time I pause it loses my place.

Slycne:
snip

Still ends at about 57:14 for me.

I weep for your Twinkies. We Mexicans will still have the Submarinos. You are aaaaaall now Woody Harrelson. :-)

EDIT 1:Darn it! I just barely missed Gavin on Desert Bus. I came on just as Kathleen was saying goodbye to him. Arrrgh..I'm such a Gavin groupie.

EDIT 2: The book FlashForward by Robert J. Sawyer was adapted into a short lived (one season) TV show. I don't know if you saw the series or read the book. The adaptation is extremely different, since they start at the same place "this particle collider gets turned on, everyone on earth falls unconcious simultanously, and see their own near future" but diverge wildly. Both are good, the book being this mostly slow-boiling thriller and heavy on the science explanation, but very so-so on its endgame. The tv series goes into Lost-esque territory, but unlike Lost it was handled pretty coherently and had great promise, so it's a shame it was cancelled to keep V going another worthless season. It was going into very interesting places with the whys it all happened and the philosphical and ethical implications of knowing your future, plus the conspiracy seemed like it would be resolved adequately.

Will edit as I continue to listen to the podcast.

As always a very nice podcat (is there anyway to convince you guys to make it available for download outside of itunes?)

Regarding Susan's grenade pop-song. I suggest watching this video:
"Todd in the shadows on "Grenade" by Bruno Mars", that has a rather funny "review" of it.

And though it might have been mentioned (the podcast cut out on me as well) I would like to submit Stardust as the greatest example of the movie being better than the book. Why? Because the book did not have neither Captain Shakespeare nor the end fight with the voodoo doll controlled prince, both of which are a major part of why I love this movie (it really is tragically overlooked in my opinion).

@GrrWolfie , I actually did ask very nice in a previous podcast. Clearly that shows you are not paying attention to other peoples nice comments and only focusing on the negative comments.

All I ask is a nice heads up, like @Slycne gave, saying there no podcast next week due to Thanksgiving. Heck, even on the day of the podcast, a nice note saying 'No Podcast Today, Busy, Work, Sorry' would suffice.

But nope, we are all left counting straws and wondering what is going on...

Also, @Slycne , no change on this weeks podcast. Still the same.

Alright, I'm in the office now trying to figure out why this keeps breaking. I'll keep everyone updated.

Righty Ho, @Slycne ! :)

Migs:
@GrrWolfie , I actually did ask very nice in a previous podcast. Clearly that shows you are not paying attention to other peoples nice comments and only focusing on the negative comments.

All I ask is a nice heads up, like @Slycne gave, saying there no podcast next week due to Thanksgiving. Heck, even on the day of the podcast, a nice note saying 'No Podcast Today, Busy, Work, Sorry' would suffice.

But nope, we are all left counting straws and wondering what is going on...

Also, @Slycne , no change on this weeks podcast. Still the same.

I'm going to ask you to take it down a notch, please. I'm glad you enjoy our podcast, but your tone is, in fact, highly combative and aggressive. We do our best to record a show every week, and tweet when we have to skip one. We are a small team and other aspects of our job often take priority over the podcast. We try to do one every week, but we do not guarantee one.

Susan Arendt:

Jinkwai:

And yet, still really dumb, lyrically.

I think that may be the point of the song. It's not so much about love as it is about obsession, and how it can be very self destructive.

It is after all made clear in the song and video that the girl he is singing about absolutely dosen't feel that same way about the guy, and may not even care about him at all in fact.

In the viedo the whole thing ends with his suicide, so I'd guess that the message is more about how that kind of love is dangerous, and sometimes even deadly.

I could just be overthinking it, but that's what I think of it anyway.

Susan Arendt:

I'm going to ask you to take it down a notch, please. I'm glad you enjoy our podcast, but your tone is, in fact, highly combative and aggressive. We do our best to record a show every week, and tweet when we have to skip one. We are a small team and other aspects of our job often take priority over the podcast. We try to do one every week, but we do not guarantee one.

Would I be too much of a brown nose to say that we really do appreciate that fact that you are willing to do one at all. I pretty sure you could all spend the time in a much more (in a strict economic sense of course) profitable way.

This is stuff we get for free. I'm happy when I hear the Escapist crew, and when there's no podcat, I look forward to the next one all the more.

Also, awesome song you got there. Hadn't heard it until today.

@Slycne , no change in the Escapist player. Just to let you know.
Apparently, on itunes it has the proper version, so I'll give that a shot.

Susan Arendt:

@Susan Arendt , noted, even though I have brought this issue up since the 18th of August and got no reply.

To me, that means I am being ignored.

I have tried to be all nice and such, but I just get ignored over and over again.
And here we are, when I open up the mini can of worms, The Cavalry have arrived and ask me to 'tone it down a notch'.

It does not take a person with special skills to write a forum post, informing everyone that there would be no podcast for this week - no need to even give a reason.
This is all I ask, a heads up.

For most people, they podcast arrives at a convenient time.
But for me, someone who lives in the southern hemisphere, the podcast is ready at 1am/2am!

This is why I am asking very very nicely to please let us know.
The Escapist podcast is one of the few highlights of my Saturday morning, so I obviously look forward to it. To not receive it with no explanation is like having no electricity even though you have paid the bill for that month.

@Slycne , at the moment, it seems to have gotten worse.
The Escapist Player is streaming a 3.2mb MP3: 48kbs, 44Hz, Length: 9 min 20 sec
which is actually the first 3 minutes and 30 seconds of the podcast.

Stranger and Weirder.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)