Escapist Podcast: 068: The Bell Tolls For the Twinkie

Pages PREV 1 2

Whoo Hoo!
Thanks @Slycne !

All looks to be good , 87.89mb file MP3: 48kbs, 44Hz, Length: 1 hour(s) 36 min.

Be sure to check on the iTunes side, I noticed the same problem was there too.

Thanks again @Slycne !

Will check it in about 12 minutes and let you know 100%.

Alright, fingers crossed that I figured out a workaround for this without having to wipe out all our existing comments. I'll keep an eye on it though since the last couple times I fixed it it kept reverting back to 57 min.

You may have to double tap f5 and/or close your browser to clear out any caching.

@Slycne it works!
Thanks again!

You guys rock! Justin should get cookies for going into the office on a Saturday just for a podcast that could be fixed on Monday, much appreciated.

Like Migs I would appreciate a forum post stating no podcast this week but I wouldn't use his language or tone. The Escapist doesn't have to do a podcast and podcasts in general don't make money so I love that they're done here and that the topics are so wide-ranging and entertaining.

Migs:
@Slycne , no change in the Escapist player. Just to let you know.
Apparently, on itunes it has the proper version, so I'll give that a shot.

Susan Arendt:

I'm going to ask you to take it down a notch, please. I'm glad you enjoy our podcast, but your tone is, in fact, highly combative and aggressive. We do our best to record a show every week, and tweet when we have to skip one. We are a small team and other aspects of our job often take priority over the podcast. We try to do one every week, but we do not guarantee one.

@Susan Arendt , noted, even though I have brought this issue up since the 18th of August and got no reply.

To me, that means I am being ignored.

I have tried to be all nice and such, but I just get ignored over and over again.
And here we are, when I open up the mini can of worms, The Cavalry have arrived and ask me to 'tone it down a notch'.

It does not take a person with special skills to write a forum post, informing everyone that there would be no podcast for this week - no need to even give a reason.
This is all I ask, a heads up.

For most people, they podcast arrives at a convenient time.
But for me, someone who lives in the southern hemisphere, the podcast is ready at 1am/2am!

This is why I am asking very very nicely to please let us know.
The Escapist podcast is one of the few highlights of my Saturday morning, so I obviously look forward to it. To not receive it with no explanation is like having no electricity even though you have paid the bill for that month.

We do not post on the site when content of any sort - video series, podcast, comic, column - will not be running. We would rather people enjoy what is there, not lament what is not.

I understand your frustration, and again appreciate your support. However, that policy will not be changing. Each of the podcast regulars try to make a point of posting on twitter when and if we are not able to do our regular Friday recording, but that isn't always possible.

As a caustic game critic once said, you're not entitled to complain about things you have not in fact paid for. The Escapist crew gives us great material every week and a funny as hell podcast most of them. I don't look at Twitter at all (never have, never will), but I just figured last week the gang was too busy and moved on. All you people complaining should just cool it. They're doing the best they can to fix this glitch and have the podcast every week. Cut them some slack, everyone. They're only human. Except for Susan. She may be part cat...

Slycne:
Alright, fingers crossed that I figured out a workaround for this without having to wipe out all our existing comments. I'll keep an eye on it though since the last couple times I fixed it it kept reverting back to 57 min.

You may have to double tap f5 and/or close your browser to clear out any caching.

seems to be working fine now

Woohoo got to finish the podcast today! would have happily waited until monday. Thanks for all your work guys (it really doesn't get said enough)

this is the second time you guys have talked about candy (sweets for the rest of the world) and I have no idea what half of this stuff is...I'm from bloody Canada! a lot of this stuff is shared, how do I not know it! Thinking about it though, you guys probably do not know the absolute glory of a really good Nanaimo bar.

The discussion of movies that are better than the books is pretty common. (No duh, as both are far more accessible than what I'm about to say)

Here is a challenge, stage plays that are better than the film(s)
The Woman in Black. Really. two guys on a stage, three coats, some string on a door, and some recorded sounds, created this wonderfully tense and spooky atmosphere. easily one of the best experiences I've had.
And Spam-a-Lot was pretty awesome but it was more just watching a new rendition of something your already familiar with and enjoying what the difference the transition from film to play forces.

btenkink:
That intermission song! I know that song! I wrote that song! My life is now complete.

It's a pretty awesome song.

I must take umbrage at your remarks, good sirs and madame! Evil Dead: The Musical is 100% awesome. Just saw it with some buddies last week and had a blast and a half. Got splattered in the finale. It would be one thing if they were going for serious drama, but they're all just being goofy and funny.

I want to know if there's a video of a performance of Spider-man. I know it wouldn't be the same as seeing it live, but my morbid curiosity must be sated!

I'm not sure if e-mail are getting through, so I'm posting the newest picture in the comments. I tried using different colors on lines and it's a hit and a miss.

After being a fairly longtime listener, I've realized that if I'm ever in public and I overhear someone someone say "ridonkulous," "amazeballs" or "ru-heeeeHEEEEally," I'm gonna be searching for Susan.

Wolcik:
I'm not sure if e-mail are getting through, so I'm posting the newest picture in the comments. I tried using different colors on lines and it's a hit and a miss.

There is nothing about that I do not love. :D

Susan Arendt:

Jinkwai:
To elaborate on Bruno Mar's "Grenade"...

The song is about a love that is not returned and how he would remain loyal to her despite the pain it would cause. It's not a romantic love song, just an unrequited love song.

And yet, still really dumb, lyrically.

Susan Arendt:

Jinkwai:
To elaborate on Bruno Mar's "Grenade"...

The song is about a love that is not returned and how he would remain loyal to her despite the pain it would cause. It's not a romantic love song, just an unrequited love song.

And yet, still really dumb, lyrically.

But it's great for parody!

Wait, people mix up Greg and other Escapists? Dr. Greg's voice (and personality) is so distinct.

Thanks for the heads up about the audio. Also, Susan--why the hate for the fruit pies? I've probably not had one in 20 years, but they were (in my recollection) sweet and tasty. Along similar lines, I've not had a Tastykake in forever, either.

Edit: Also, holy hell is Starship Troopers unbelievably different in book and film. I did not realize they were so different until I read the book this past summer and now am just sad that they haven't adapted it into a film.

What happened to my delightful and insightful thread posts?

bdcjacko:

Not sure, but it would seem that my post containing my squee of glee at their reading my question has disappeared in the nethers as well.

I will, however, repost two of my remarks.
Regarding The Elder Scrolls Online, you guys argued monthly subscription versus free to play, but what about Guild Wars' model? You pay for the box, and that's it, you never have to pay another cent if you don't want to.
The world of the Elder Scrolls is indeed incredibly rich and incredibly dear to me, just as it is to Susan, and I too am rather nervous about having to share it with others...

Regarding books and their movie adaptation, the example that came to mind was Vanity Fair. I love the 2004 (I'm a sucker for period pics), but never managed to finish the book by W. M. Thackery. I really, really tried, though, I got at least halfway through, but never managed to finish it, and to this day, enjoy the movie a lot more.

Yeah, this podcast has turned into the love child of Murphy's Law and the Bermuda Triangle.

I wanted to draw the clumsy, cute one, but after seeing how lemon muffin looks like the shape (with taste) suggested smooth, but sometimes bitter.

bdcjacko:

The original thread and posts failed a save vs death. We're conducting a dark and ancient ritual to try and return them from beyond the grave, but it's a time consuming process.

paulgruberman:

bdcjacko:

The original thread and posts failed a save vs death. We're conducting a dark and ancient ritual to try and return them from beyond the grave, but it's a time consuming process.

Here, use my weighted d20

Missing posts in this thread should now be restored. Any that are still MIA at this point are lost to the void.

Being new to The Escapist, I missed the Podcat dearly last week. I suspected something big was up and eventually learned about the Desert Bus. I saw Mikey Neumann last night and couldn't help but donate ten bucks, despite having recently lost my job. What an inspiration that guy is. When I grow up (I'm almost 40), I want to be Mikey Neumann.

In retrospect, it makes perfect sense why there wasn't a Podcat last week. All the Escapist staff A whole bunch of people, mainly the Loading Ready Run gang, are busy donating their time (and a whole bunch of awesome prizes) so that sick children can feel better. This includes Susan Arendt last night. Sure am glad I didn't complain.

Oh, and Susan, I was the one who suggested a proper AC for the Podcat recording closet (it's a closet, right? I haven't watched the video). That wasn't an attempt to ingratiate myself towards you or the others. I merely wanted to remove obstacles to future Podcat recordings.

If you're reading this and have yet to donate to Child's Play, check out the Desert Bus gang and find it in your heart to donate, if only to get Kathleen dancing.

As always, GREAT podcat. Great song too.

I read about the acquisition and I admit my first thought was "Oh no... ch-ch-changes!" But I got rational and realised content isn't going to change.

Did anyone watch the animated Starship Troopers TV series? As a kid that was my first exposure to the whole thing, which kind of worked well (was almost a perfect mash-up of the book and the movie; followed several operations of the Rejects, had quite a bit of humour injected into it but they had the powered suits/jetpacks/crazy weapons).

bdcjacko:

Did you roll the 1s out of it?

Henriot:
As always, GREAT podcat. Great song too.

I read about the acquisition and I admit my first thought was "Oh no... ch-ch-changes!" But I got rational and realised content isn't going to change.

Did anyone watch the animated Starship Troopers TV series? As a kid that was my first exposure to the whole thing, which kind of worked well (was almost a perfect mash-up of the book and the movie; followed several operations of the Rejects, had quite a bit of humour injected into it but they had the powered suits/jetpacks/crazy weapons).

bdcjacko:

Did you roll the 1s out of it?

I'm not a savage.

bravetoaster:
Wait, people mix up Greg and other Escapists? Dr. Greg's voice (and personality) is so distinct.

Thanks for the heads up about the audio. Also, Susan--why the hate for the fruit pies? I've probably not had one in 20 years, but they were (in my recollection) sweet and tasty. Along similar lines, I've not had a Tastykake in forever, either.

Edit: Also, holy hell is Starship Troopers unbelievably different in book and film. I did not realize they were so different until I read the book this past summer and now am just sad that they haven't adapted it into a film.

The pies are just...so, so bad. The kind of food that only kids and stoners can eat. *shudder*

Tastykakes are...well, they're still good, but definitely not nearly as delicious as they once were. But I'll still take butterscotch Krimpets over most anything else.

Alright, alright. Let me explain that Twilight thing. I read the books and, while they're not my favorite series at all, I can can explain what happened there. With spoilers. So be warned.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER!

Okay.

So at the end of the book, the bad vampires try to kill the good vampires because they're kinda afraid they could become as strong as the bad guys. In numbers, only. Their excuse is that they think the good guys transformed a child into a vampire, which is like their only no-no rule.

Anyway, that's not the case. Bella kinda gave birth to the half breed but that's unheard of. But the bad guys don't know/care so they plan their attack. But the good guys gather enough good vampire witnesses to kinda stop the bad guys (verbally) and they show them that the kid is naturally born.
The bad guys mumble and curse the skies but overall, they can't do anything because no laws were broken. If they do something anyway, they lose their credibility, sort of. So they leave.

See, an X-men-meets-vampires kind of battle would have been cool in the book but it wouldn't make sense. The movie did it anyway and...it's waaaaaay worse than what Stephanie Meyer could have come up with for the book.

Either way, it sucks. :l

Also, that Bruno Mars song is dumb overall, not just that part. "I'll jump in front of a plane for you"? Come on.
But, ya know, I'm sure there are pre-pubescent girls out there who probably think it's the biggest for of love. To jump in front of hazardous things unprovoked.

The book movie conversation that happens in this podcast took place in episode 31. Almost exactly, same line up and everything.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here