Jimquisition: Fake Nerd Girls

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . . . 23 NEXT

Fluoxetine:

Nobody ever follows through on the logic. Ask yourself this: How did I know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, well in advance, that they did not play it? I could have wound up with a carton of egg on my face by making that accusation, especially if these girls are as core as they claim. But I knew the entire time they didn't put in the effort to play a game like Dark Souls, one of the only core games this generation has seen.

I've proven my point already, but the entire counter-argument seems to consist of "Well you are right about everything you've said so far but you're a big stinky poopie meanie head."

No, you're not, because there wasn't a point in the first fucking place by just citing ONE GAME.

By the way, I DID play Demon's Souls.

Also, I've played core games in MULTIPLE generations, jack, and before you decided to use it as a measuring stick, I didn't really think to address it, but now that you've opened up the gate, I'll wager my hardcore resume against yours any day of the fucking week.

The fact that so many of you are raging against my point proves it even further. If I'm not the "gatekeeper for all gaming" or whatever, then why are you all arguing and trying to gain my validation? If you are all so confident in your resumes (which btw do not include Dark Souls), then you should be able to laugh at me and move on instead getting progressively angrier.

And for the white knights who also didn't play Dark Souls and somehow want to inject their members into my argument (which is already proven btw) I draw the following conclusion with equal assurance as I did my previous one:

You are very, very young.

Fluoxetine:
The fact that so many of you are raging against my point proves it even further. If I'm not the "gatekeeper for all gaming" or whatever, then why are you all arguing and trying to gain my validation?

Because you're claiming it as an objective standard.

If you are all so confident in your resumes (which btw do not include Dark Souls)
then you should be able to laugh at me and move on instead getting progressively angrier.

I'm one of those strange people, you see, that actually gets insulted when people insult me. It's a personal hang up, I know.

I AM confident in my resume. That's why I'm saying here and now that I'll compare mine to yours any day.

Oh, does your resume include knowing how to defeat the final boss in Bane of the Cosmic Forge?

Jim Sterling bringing up something gender related on The Escapist?

Well played, sir.

MegaManOfNumbers:
Jim Sterling bringing up something gender related on The Escapist?

Well played, sir.

With the results being all, all too typical.

We've really got to work on this, folks. We do. Both sides, too.

Fluoxetine:
The fact that so many of you are raging against my point proves it even further. If I'm not the "gatekeeper for all gaming" or whatever, then why are you all arguing and trying to gain my validation? If you are all so confident in your resumes (which btw do not include Dark Souls), then you should be able to laugh at me and move on instead getting progressively angrier.

If I am not Jesus then why do I urinate wine ?
The answer because I drank so much theres little but wine left to.

The reason people are arguing is because they think you're a moron and rather than being horrible and moving on they're attempting to point you in the right direction.

Also I can speak for the others replying to you but if I were angry you'd notice my posting style change rather dramatically using big words when diminutive ones would suffice.

And for the white knights who also didn't play Dark Souls and somehow want to inject their members into my argument

See the issue with calling me a white knight is ignoring the fact I previously disagreed with the posters in this thread on some points and I'm not blindly defending them I'm pointing out specifically how your argument is invalid. I'm not calling for your head. I'm not claiming I will rip you a second hole. I'm pointing out the logical fallacy you're operating under.

(which is already proven btw) I draw the following conclusion with equal assurance as I did my previous one:

Strange because even a modicum of research in this threat would have allowed you to identify the fact I am at least over the age of 10 that is using the redundant assumption that a new born babay would be playing games and be able to connect to the internet with them as I pointed out I'd been online gaming for probably 10 years now. unfortunately it appears your mental faculties were incapacitated and you failed to be able to infer such a simple thing along with failing to do even simple research into your claim.

Feel free to do onto the obvious next part of this though as is rather obvious what's coming next, so surprise me and save me from having to get you to play a little game.

GunsmithKitten:

Fluoxetine:
The fact that so many of you are raging against my point proves it even further. If I'm not the "gatekeeper for all gaming" or whatever, then why are you all arguing and trying to gain my validation?

If you are all so confident in your resumes (which btw do not include Dark Souls)
then you should be able to laugh at me and move on instead getting progressively angrier.

I'm one of those strange people, you see, that actually gets insulted when people insult me. It's a personal hang up, I know.

I AM confident in my resume. That's why I'm saying here and now that I'll compare mine to yours any day.

Oh, does your resume include knowing how to defeat the final boss in Bane of the Cosmic Forge?

OOOOHHHHH that burn be going in deep. Well played madame gunsmith well played.

edit: Id bet bottom dollar hes looking up how to beat that boss.lol

Therumancer:

Nope, I got the point here entirely. The "Hot Nerd Girl" pretty much does not exist, or exists in such small quantities as to be irrelevent, and warrent justified suspician any time it shows up, because pretty much anyone who fits that description is there for purposes of manipulation... period.

Likewise, the thing is that someone who is physically attractive is going to have people give them a chance no matter what their social skills happen to be. Hot girls can generally get away with being totally maladjusted B@tches if they want to, and still have people orbiting around them. A real nerd doesn't have those kinds of options or oppertunities, which is part of what makes them nerds. A nerd is an outcast that by definition nobody in society wants to deal with or really give a chance. An attractive girl generally cannot truely be a social outcast to this degree to be a real nerd. The options, and potential for acceptance, generally prohibit it.

Whether you, or Jim, agree with me or not is more or less irrelevent. The bottom line is these nerd girls are not being accepted by the rest of "the nerd herd" so to speak, the fact speaks for itself. I've explained, in detail no less, why this is, you can cry to the heavens about how it's wrong and unfair all you want but that won't change anything. It's also why mis-informed appeals like those of Jim Sterling are almost surely doomed for failure. Those that have been exploited or know those who have been are of course going to ignore him. Those that haven't been and listen will generally agree with him about as long as it takes for them to eventually be screwed.

I can see that there's no reason discussing this. Your entire foundation of this is built on stereotypes revolving around both nerds and girls. A nerd can't be attractive, hot girls get away with anything. It's all a pile of generalizations.

You're also discussing an entirely different topic than what we are refusing to admit the fact.

rbstewart7263:

GunsmithKitten:

Fluoxetine:

Glad someone was able to C Wut I Did Thar. Kudos back to you, fellow Wizardry fan.

But he's right about one thing; I AM wasting time trying to validate myself to a punk like him. If he's raw about it, he can PM me and demand some info and we'll settle this in a Quake map. Till then, I really have no desire to hear from him ever again.

Oh god is this annoying.

I have a friend who feels the need to bitch about every girl in a video game t-shirt he sees. "They probably don't even know what that is!" It's fucking mario you twat. Who doesn't know who mario is?

GunsmithKitten:

rbstewart7263:

GunsmithKitten:

Glad someone was able to C Wut I Did Thar. Kudos back to you, fellow Wizardry fan.

But he's right about one thing; I AM wasting time trying to validate myself to a punk like him. If he's raw about it, he can PM me and demand some info and we'll settle this in a Quake map. Till then, I really have no desire to hear from him ever again.

I never got to play wizardry but I have dark souls and arcanum under my belt so Im quite proud all the same.(needs to get another copy of arcanum.)

rbstewart7263:

I never got to play wizardry

It's the grand poobah of the show no mercy old school dungeon crawls outside of Rogue likes. I bring up Bane of the Cosmic Forge since it's not only the best of the series, IMO, but the final boss battle has a single difficult, but headslappingly logical "why didn't I think of that before?!" solution to defeating him (though even with the solution, he's a tough bastard on all accounts).

Fluoxetine:
Unlike you Jim, and all your young followers, some of us wear our "GAMER" title proudly, because it is something we suffered and sacrificed for.

People who wear a hobby like it's a title of honor confuse me. What makes you a gamer as opposed to someone else? Why does seniority matter to anyone? Who really cares that you make video games your hobby and why should that be a point of pride for you, specifically on a website about video games, where everyone else plays video games alongside you?

You know what? I submit to you that you are more than just a "Gamer" you sir, are a "Hipster".

This attitude of "I've been gaming for longer so my say trumps yours on that merit alone" is nothing more than a notion that exists solely in your mind and nowhere else. Being a "gamer" isn't some honorary title in an exclusive cool kids club. It's just a word that identifies you as a person who plays and enjoys video games, and nothing other than that.

longboardfan:

Fake gamer girls are trying to change the way people play games and alter the mentality of gamers and publishers so that they can "Feel Safe (tm)." They exploit male gamers by pretending to be interested in their hobbies while at the same time stifling the culture. Lets all be Politically Correct, there might be a female listening! Its demeaning to men and very demeaning to women. Especially the ones that actually play games.

I find it strange that some people think demeaning each other online is somehow culture.

Fluoxetine:
The fact that so many of you are raging against my point proves it even further.

it proves that everything your saying is (as we say here) "pants on head..." (and I'm not saying the other word)

If I'm not the "gatekeeper for all gaming" or whatever, then why are you all arguing and trying to gain my validation? If you are all so confident in your resumes (which btw do not include Dark Souls), then you should be able to laugh at me and move on instead getting progressively angrier.

we are arguing because when people say incredidbly stupid things we sotimes get insulted and feel the need to point out how wrong they are....its a kind of addictive machoism thing

And for the white knights who also didn't play Dark Souls and somehow want to inject their members into my argument

a common tactic used by sexist [words I won't use] "anyone who disagrees with me is a white knght" <- hahahaha yeah no..

do you understnad that there are a fair number of peopel who havnt played your precious little dark souls because maybe
1.they arent interested
2.they would rather not spend the required hours
3. they dont have a console and would liek to pass on the PC port

(which is already proven btw) I draw the following conclusion with equal assurance as I did my previous one:

...........dark sould came out last year?

the fuck are you talking about?

Devoneaux:

Fluoxetine:
Unlike you Jim, and all your young followers, some of us wear our "GAMER" title proudly, because it is something we suffered and sacrificed for.

People who wear a hobby like it's a title of honor confuse me. What makes you a gamer as opposed to someone else? Why does seniority matter to anyone? Who really cares that you make video games your hobby and why should that be a point of pride for you, specifically on a website about video games, where everyone else plays video games alongside you?

You know what? I submit to you that you are more than just a "Gamer" you sir, are a "Hipster".

This attitude of "I've been gaming for longer so my say trumps yours on that merit alone" is nothing more than a notion that exists solely in your mind and nowhere else. Being a "gamer" isn't some honorary title in an exclusive cool kids club. It's just a word that identifies you as a person who plays and enjoys video games, and nothing other than that.

Not to mention that there are those of us like me and Butterfly who have sacrificed just as much (news flash; not all girls are pretty and popular growing up.) and done this just as long who reject his attitude and outlook on this. I've mentioned before, but it didn't seem like this sort of mentality was so prevalent when I first got into gaming, it really wasn't. Me being a girl when I picked up a 2600 joystick really didn't mean jack squat.

DigitalSushi:

longboardfan:

Fake gamer girls are trying to change the way people play games and alter the mentality of gamers and publishers so that they can "Feel Safe (tm)." They exploit male gamers by pretending to be interested in their hobbies while at the same time stifling the culture. Lets all be Politically Correct, there might be a female listening! Its demeaning to men and very demeaning to women. Especially the ones that actually play games.

I find it strange that some people think demeaning each other online is somehow culture.

Or at least is a part of the culture worth keeping and has some sort of value worth fighting for.

GunsmithKitten:

Devoneaux:

Fluoxetine:

Not to mention that there are those of us like me and Butterfly who have sacrificed just as much (news flash; not all girls are pretty and popular growing up.) and done this just as long who reject his attitude and outlook on this. I've mentioned before, but it didn't seem like this sort of mentality was so prevalent when I first got into gaming, it really wasn't. Me being a girl when I picked up a 2600 joystick really didn't mean jack squat.

I mean hell, your "Credentials" Far outweigh mine, I only really got into gaming (outside of small experiences with Oregon trail or the SNES Mario when I was six) at around the Goldeneye Era. But nobody would ever question me for my love of games, and they shouldn't. The idea that "Gamer" is a title that needs to be earned is something born out of hipsters and is an idea that should be rejected at all turns.

Devoneaux:

GunsmithKitten:

Devoneaux:

I mean hell, your "Credentials" Far outweigh mine, I only really got into gaming (outside of small experiences with Oregon trail or the SNES Mario when I was six) at around the Goldeneye Era. But nobody would ever question me for my love of games, and they shouldn't. The idea that "Gamer" is a title that needs to be earned is something born out of hipsters and is an idea that should be rejected at all turns.

It's not even that I'm ashamed of playing video games. If asked, I don't mind a bit to say I do it. But yea, you can be unashamed and secure in what you do while not treating it like an exclusive badge of honor that only those who meet some very esoteric credentials should be allowed to claim. It sure as hell isn't comparable to being a war veteran either.

I wasn't aware this was remotely a problem.

it kind of reminds me of the family guy episode where Lios dresses up like kiss and doesn't know who they are.

How could a fake gamer girl possibly piss me off if she in fact existed?

In the same way anyone else could piss me off. If he or she went on a rant and clearly didn't know what the fuck they were talking about, and trying to speak for me.

Only this person might be hot doing it.

Worse case scenario? I don't see a problem.

Yopaz:

Therumancer:

Nope, I got the point here entirely. The "Hot Nerd Girl" pretty much does not exist, or exists in such small quantities as to be irrelevent, and warrent justified suspician any time it shows up, because pretty much anyone who fits that description is there for purposes of manipulation... period.

Likewise, the thing is that someone who is physically attractive is going to have people give them a chance no matter what their social skills happen to be. Hot girls can generally get away with being totally maladjusted B@tches if they want to, and still have people orbiting around them. A real nerd doesn't have those kinds of options or oppertunities, which is part of what makes them nerds. A nerd is an outcast that by definition nobody in society wants to deal with or really give a chance. An attractive girl generally cannot truely be a social outcast to this degree to be a real nerd. The options, and potential for acceptance, generally prohibit it.

Whether you, or Jim, agree with me or not is more or less irrelevent. The bottom line is these nerd girls are not being accepted by the rest of "the nerd herd" so to speak, the fact speaks for itself. I've explained, in detail no less, why this is, you can cry to the heavens about how it's wrong and unfair all you want but that won't change anything. It's also why mis-informed appeals like those of Jim Sterling are almost surely doomed for failure. Those that have been exploited or know those who have been are of course going to ignore him. Those that haven't been and listen will generally agree with him about as long as it takes for them to eventually be screwed.

I can see that there's no reason discussing this. Your entire foundation of this is built on stereotypes revolving around both nerds and girls. A nerd can't be attractive, hot girls get away with anything. It's all a pile of generalizations.

You're also discussing an entirely different topic than what we are refusing to admit the fact.

No, I'm not, you just don't want to admit that your wrong.

A "nerd" refers to a certain type of person, a stereotype yes, but like most stereotypes it exists and is accurate. The root of sociology in fact (everyone conforms to at least one stereotype, and usually more than one). In this case if your socially accepted your not a "nerd" because a nerd is by definition a social reject... period, full stop, no debate, that's it. You can have some of the same interests AS a nerd and fit into another group, but that doesn't make you a nerd.

The reason why we're going to have to agree to disagree, has little to do with me or my interpetation, but with yours, and an unwillingness to simply accept that your wrong. By your logic we wouldn't be having this discussion to begin with. Things don't just happen in a vaccum, the nerds didn't just decide to treat the so called "hot nerd girls" this way for no reason at all, which is the basic arguement you and Jim seem to be making, and that's fundementally ridiculous. I've explained the reasons for it. It would be nice if things were differant, but the issues here are ones that come down to such fundemental human behaviors that they aren't going to be settled by rational discourse. It would be nice if nobody was a nerd/social reject, dealing with the problem, or that hot girls didn't exploit those demographics (or try to) with great frequency, but sadly, that isn't the way the world is. This entire problem is simply reality being well... reality.

GunsmithKitten:
Sorry, but when I remember that I DIDN"T have to go through such hoops back in the day on account of my gender, but now all of a sudden I have to, I AM taking it as a personal attack. You best expect to get it in return.

I understand that getting "geek checked" is a part of the culture, but tell me, do you get your card reviewed because of your genitals? Because I do.

HA! No. In fact the reason you are getting geek checked now, when you didn't before is because you were functioning under the umbrella of benevolant sexism before & equality now. Thats right, you are now getting geek checked not because of your gender, but because of the inclusion of all people regardless of gender.

Once upon a time female geeks were up there with unicorns, dragons & that one D20 that always rolls natural 20... You were an urban legend, that if you were lucky enough to see one you treated her like a magical princess, who may evaporate into moonlight if spooked by your approach.

You essentially had the protection of benevolent sexism... An then time passed.

These days female geeks are common place & now you are no longer being treated like women, you are being treated like a geek. You are going to be geek checked like a geek, you are going to be insulted for not liking the same geeky things i like like a geek & you will have franchise pissing contests like a geek... Congrats, this is what true equality looks like.

You pining away for the days when that wasn't the case, just goes to show how much you benefited from the privileges that went along with benevolent sexism.

GunsmithKitten:

We don't want you gone, but you have got to learn to stop falling for the "oh i'm a woman & a victim of the big bad men geeks" nonsense.

If so, it's only fair we demand that male geeks ditch this "OMG, girls are doing to ruin this hobby for us by their existence", which I was accused of doing not more than hour ago to someone's "cloud" line too. Deal?

Except that the "OMG, girls are doing to ruin this hobby for us by their existence" is a silly strawman constantly being pulled out by people, especially hackneye writers like Scamkesian & Alex Hunt to appeal to the self imposed victim-hood of a particualr section of the female population.

As i already said

Both sides of the gender divide have wankers: You have Anita Scamkesian, we have Tony Harris. But between the two groups the male side doesn't blame all female gamers for the existance of Anita. Where as the existance of Tony Harris was again an excuse to open the flood gates of hate & gross over generalisations of male geeks.

GunsmithKitten:

DigitalSushi:

longboardfan:

Or at least is a part of the culture worth keeping and has some sort of value worth fighting for.

On topic what I want to know is about these "fake nerd girls", does it only apply to the really really hot girls?, or do ugly girls stealth their way into gaming conventions while no one questions them?

I think we should be equally suspicious of ugly people as we are to beautiful people, I'm a big proponent of equal rights you see.

Against - Prejudice!
For - Equal rights!
VOTE FOR ME!

Also for anyone reading with doubts,
Here's a handy questionnaire if you think your girlfriend is faking her nerdgasm's;
"Whats your fav Mario game?"
if the answer is "Super Mario Sunshine" then FAKE NERD GIRL
"Who is your hero?"
if the answer is anyone other than Gary Gygax or Gunpei Yokoi then FAKE NERD GIRL
"When did your parents cancel your subscription to Nintendo Power?"
if she replies, "Nintendo what?", I don't care how much you love her, you get that mainstream girl out your life this instance!

Therumancer:

Yopaz:

Therumancer:

No, I'm not, you just don't want to admit that your wrong.

A "nerd" refers to a certain type of person, a stereotype yes, but like most stereotypes it exists and is accurate. The root of sociology in fact (everyone conforms to at least one stereotype, and usually more than one). In this case if your socially accepted your not a "nerd" because a nerd is by definition a social reject... period, full stop, no debate, that's it. You can have some of the same interests AS a nerd and fit into another group, but that doesn't make you a nerd.

The reason why we're going to have to agree to disagree, has little to do with me or my interpetation, but with yours, and an unwillingness to simply accept that your wrong. By your logic we wouldn't be having this discussion to begin with. Things don't just happen in a vaccum, the nerds didn't just decide to treat the so called "hot nerd girls" this way for no reason at all, which is the basic arguement you and Jim seem to be making, and that's fundementally ridiculous. I've explained the reasons for it. It would be nice if things were differant, but the issues here are ones that come down to such fundemental human behaviors that they aren't going to be settled by rational discourse. It would be nice if nobody was a nerd/social reject, dealing with the problem, or that hot girls didn't exploit those demographics (or try to) with great frequency, but sadly, that isn't the way the world is. This entire problem is simply reality being well... reality.

Alot of variations but what do these definitions have in common? None of them ends with "nerds have to be social rejects". The ones that mention social ineptness were listed with an 'or' qualifier meaning even having one of those traits makes that person a nerd.

Side note, the definitions that mention affected are referring to those that "speak or behave in an artificial way to make an impression". In other words if anyone fakes being a game nerd; that makes them a nerd.

Ah, you know what? NO
I reject this BS. I dont want to be acknowledged by these elitist-nerds as one of them. People would call me nerdy, and thats it. Its not a title and I'm not such a social reject that I need something to hold onto so badly.
NO. I dont want to get into your treehouse, it stinks.

I'm a fake not-nerd girl

Jenvas1306:

DigitalSushi:

Also for anyone reading with doubts,
Here's a handy questionnaire if you think your girlfriend is faking her nerdgasm's;
"Whats your fav Mario game?"
if the answer is "Super Mario Sunshine" then FAKE NERD GIRL
"Who is your hero?"
if the answer is anyone other than Gary Gygax or Gunpei Yokoi then FAKE NERD GIRL
"When did your parents cancel your subscription to Nintendo Power?"
if she replies, "Nintendo what?", I don't care how much you love her, you get that mainstream girl out your life this instance!

Get her out of your life? Did you ever have a relationship? Cause if you break it sorely on if she is nerd enough or not, then thats a sad statement about you as a person.

Also, you cant like the newer games? Being a nerd doesnt mean being into nostalgia, thats why we have the word nostalgia. (mario titles are anyways the same, if mario 64, sunshine or galaxy...).
Your 'qualifications' to be a nerd are really, really narrow. are you trying to make sure only you pass then?

Chill out dude, no need to call me sad over a post where I'm messing about.

If we were really to pass up potential partners on the basis of a nerd questionnaire then the criteria would be different for each person, the fact that anyone would need a questionnaire in the first place is absurd anyway.

And anyway, the only things I've asked of my girlfriends is for every chick flick I have to see with them then they have to watch Black Hawk Down with me, and they better cry at the sad bits too!, its a fucking deep film man, so many layers.

Jenvas1306:
Ah, you know what? NO
I reject this BS. I dont want to be acknowledged by these elitist-nerds as one of them. People would call me nerdy, and thats it. Its not a title and I'm not such a social reject that I need something to hold onto so badly.
NO. I dont want to get into your treehouse, it stinks.

I'm a fake not-nerd girl

Sorry about that, I called you a dude! haha, the internet, wonderful place where your a dude until proven otherwise.

Also, calm down, I was poking fun at elitism, not being elitist myself. Naturally since I'm not as well versed at the English Language as Oscar Wilde my joke went off the mark, sorry about that.

DigitalSushi:

If we were really to pass up potential partners on the basis of a nerd questionnaire then the criteria would be different for each person, the fact that anyone would need a questionnaire in the first place is absurd anyway.

And anyway, the only things I've asked of my girlfriends is for every chick flick I have to see with them then they have to watch Black Hawk Down with me, and they better cry at the sad bits too!, its a fucking deep film man, so many layers.

Dont call me dude btw, as a girl, I dont like that. I cant chill out more, its way too cold here. In fact I dont get mad at this stuff, its just so much BS that its hard to see if someone is being ironic about it. Thats why i changed my post, not quoting you anymore.

Alright...captcha: run amok
this system is truely weird...

Jenvas1306:

DigitalSushi:

Dont call me dude btw, as a girl, I dont like that. I cant chill out more, its way too cold here. In fact I dont get mad at this stuff, its just so much BS that its hard to see if someone is being ironic about it. Thats why i changed my post, not quoting you anymore.

Yeah I know your not a dude, if you care to look up, you'll see I've apologised to you about that indiscretion.

DigitalSushi:

Jenvas1306:

DigitalSushi:

Yeah I know your not a dude, if you care to look up, you'll see I've apologised to you about that indiscretion.

wrote it before I could see your post, so just ignore it.

'Fake nerd girls' are clumsy charlatans, exploiting a demographic with a vulnerability to what they're peddling. They have plausible deniability because what they're doing is inherently consensual in terms of actions (though not in terms of motivations), and they just need to put themselves out there just a little for the attention they're seeking. it's slimy, passively predatory and lazy. A girl of this type is doing nothing but manipulating facets of the culture surrounding gaming because it's an easy target while bringing nothing to the table, this kind of girl is worthy of contempt and it's as simple as that. Maybe if you could choose to block them out completely, but implying that you can just 'stop' yourself from feeling exploited when you're sexually attracted to a member of the opposite sex who's doing everything to attract you in this way, just because you find it morally repugnant, is complete bozwollocks.

The_Kodu:
Feel free to do onto the obvious next part of this though as is rather obvious what's coming next, so surprise me and save me from having to get you to play a little game.

What are you gonna do, call my posts a straw man fallacy?

I'm not responding to the rage novels you all wrote and I don't have to defend my life or pride in my hobbies to any of you. I proved my point. The "game" is over before it started.

Fluoxetine:

What are you gonna do, call my posts a straw man fallacy?

I'm not responding to the rage novels you all wrote and I don't have to defend my life or pride in my hobbies to any of you. I proved my point. The "game" is over before it started.

you didn't prove anything

and your not "defending your life or pride in your hobbies" what your doing is saying "you arent a real gamer because you don't meet my bullshit Idea of what a gamer is"

so I ask you to please answer my question that I've asked you several times

"what about the fair number of male gamers who have not played dark souls?" I mean that's it right? there couldn't be anything else that disqualies me or any other of the people you accused from your fabled "gamer" status

Fluoxetine:
For the 3 girls who claim to be gamers.

When did you beat Dark Souls?

Don't answer. You didn't.

It's one of my favourite games and yes I've finished it I also bought it on PC because I enjoyed it so much...why do you think I'm called MOONLIGHT BUTTERFLY...

JESUS CHRIST.

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity/Details?titleId=1313671226

(and before you start ranting about my gamer score I mostly play on my PC which I built and overclocked myself you can check raptr on my profile for most of my games)

I am also backing Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, Doublefine Kickstarter and Path of Exile. What are you doing?

Also I'm pretty much responsible for Project Eternity getting ultra hard modes as a stretch goal :p

Your move bro.

Ok, this isn't something I that I think too much about because, even if it exists, its minor problem but dismissing it completely is not what I would have done. I don't know how Jim sees this but here is what I imagine when I hear about this fake geek girl, however with a strange twist of not including women only.
Somewhere in the universe, there is a person who is a regular teenager. But because there isn't much to him/her and he/she wants to keep wide array of friend, he/she boasts about listening obscure bands, pretending to be an artist, or simply to be 2deep4u (a.k.a. hipster). This person then hears about rise of the NERD culture, seeing how there is Big Bang Theory on TV, successful NERDS {you may start to notice I don't like how this word sounds} getting rich everywhere and whatnot. So, to impress his/hers ignorant friends, this person decides to become geek and hang around geeks.
Now lets move to online communities where this problem manifests. Since the person who suddenly wants to become part of the culture wants to see results soon and because they were used to doing it this way outside of the NERD culture, they try to get an attention of as many people that are part of the culture so they can quickly become friends (even very short lasting one) and thus acknowledging the NERDiness and sense of belonging of the individual.
Now sadly, there is stereotype which is sometimes true, and that is that most of the nerds/gamers/geeks are immature basement dwellers whose only female attention is that of their mum. It doesn't take more than two synapses two realize, that is such community, a female nerd/gamer/geek would be a big thing. This person then, depending on his sex, either pretends to be a female or makes sure that everyone knows. Now, as we all know, this stereotype is mostly not true and even when it is, such people aren't usually that desperate for female attention to notice that something is wrong.Sadly, this still isn't how others see us.
So where is the problem here? Cant we just give them some attention when it doesn't cost us anything? This is maybe just my opinion but I think that if we return to topic of being called hipster or in mild case wannabe (do not confuse with newbie, in all cases they are new to the community but they treat the rest of the members otherwise), I would say that most communities don't like them due to fact they make their community look worse or maybe just different than they expect to be seen. Especially when is it a sort of person that likes to draw attention. However, these people are few, and I think they can change opinions of only few individuals at best. But because its much easier too see mistakes of people who just don't belong, they usually get to carry much more guilt in eyes of us hard true NERDS which I think is the reason why this problem exists.
To wrap this up, I don't think this really is a problem all that much unless people become paranoid and start to see these people where they are not or give them to much of an importance, because when it is a problem, it doesn't really have anything to do with sexual insecurity within the community as I perceived Mr Sterling wraped it up to be, but rather insecurity of community that wants to hold tightly together reacted with a strange attempt of rare kind of people to continue their lifestyle in evolving society (just to make me sound smart).

I said I don't think about this too much? Huh. But now I can't just go and say "Nah, this wont do." and delete it so here you go.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here