Jimquisition: Fake Nerd Girls

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . . . 23 NEXT

Entitled:

slash2x:
1. If you truly identify with a specific group or section of society that does not require admission, a formal process, or certain DNA. Congratz you are in!! There is no damn test to be a NERD or a GAMER.

I disagree with that one. Just because a group has no clear-cut border, it can still have a definition that obviously excludes at least some people who are very distant from it.

If I, as a full-blood Hungarian who has never left mainland Europe, would claim to be a Scotsman, you would be entirely justified to call me out on being No True Scotsman.

The fallacy only applies to situations where you are making up criteria on the spot, such as old man MacDonald living in Scotland, born in Scotland, and speaking Scots, is No True Scotsman if he doesn't support the Scottish independence movement.

Or like saying that I'm No True Gamer if I avoid strategy games.

But it's still possible to pretend to be a gamer in a way in which you are actually not.

slash2x:

3. If there are men out there who are pissed at women who do this in a social setting to them personally..... You are morons, a girl doing this wants your attention you asexual idiots. Ask her out and even if it is fake interest it can become genuine interest if gaming becomes a "thing" the two of you do.

I think it's more about girls (and people in general) acting like that on their youtube channels, or in their social circles, not specifically about a flirting situation.

1A. Hence my statement about a specific criteria being needed for SOME groups/names/titles. If there is no Scott in your DNA(read lineage) then that would be a rather ludicrous claim. Also people can still claim whatever they want for a free form term like Gamer because who is going to stop them? Sure people can complain about it but that is all.

3A. Your example and mine are different so I see where you are going with that. I am talking about on a personal level, I have heard various men try complaining about this while I was in the room.

Entitled:

Well, that's just it. Nerds are NOT "heroes of old". They were not "fighting for" anything, and especially not for nerdiness being mainstream, just wanted to be left alone as a subculture.

And that's why your analogy is inherently faulty. a civil rights activits who hates present kids having civil rights, is a HYPOCRITE, because his acts are going against his claimed goals.

But not every group can be expected to struggle for total inclusiveness.

For example, it would be pretty weird to say that the original punk rockers should feel happy about big corporations commercializing their mannerisms, and kids imitating their "popular" clothing and hairstyles. After all, these these would be pretty much directly opposed to their whole underlying ideology, about being anti-consumerist, anti-mainstream, and anti-normal.

Or that indie game fans shoul feel happy about Electronic Arts releasing a so-called "indie bundle". Even if it imitates typical indie games with cheap small games, the indie commnunity was also about something more than that, about independence, and free artistic thoughts, so EA of all things imitating them is pretty crude.

You are talking as if the mainstream trying to jump on a bandwagon by copying references, would automatically count as "winning the good fight", so we should all lay back. But that's not the case. Just because EA is publishing something that it calls an "indie bundle", doesn't mean that the indie movement defeated EA's corparate system, quite the opposite.

Likewise, just because now the most ordinary, popular, socially and phsysically attractive people are calling themselves "nerds" while they are watching the most popular movies of our times and playing on their phones just as the giant billboard ad tells them to, doesn't mean that the older underlying paradigm of the subculture that they imitate, has won. Quite the opposite.

Traits like being socially awkward, or being obsessive about a niche interest, are just as mocked as they ever were, it's just a shift of brandings, where the old nerds' identity was recycled for mainstream usage, and now we have to reclaim another insult for ourselves.

I dont see why a group shouldnt fight for total inclusiveness. The only reasons i can imagine are purely selfish and based on a weak shriveled ego that NEEDS to feel elite and select to survive. I play games for ME. Not for anyone else. Ironically by caring about the title gamer and how others perceive it a person commits the same crime as "fake game girls". Playing games with the perception of others as a factor, caring what others think of their gaming. Caring what people think about your hobby and who knows their place in being part of the subculture or not. Ive always been a believer in the fact that you can define your interests as you please and no one can change those things. They can have different names for them and can use them. But if you wanna feel like a gamer because it makes you happier power to you. Let no one gatekeep.

Perhaps i go too far saying they should be happy. They have no reason to be happy these things are happening. But other than selfishness who cares what other people do and define themselves as. People are free to do as they please and it has NO effect on you. Do these "posers" stealing and corrupting the punk rock message kill old punk rock bands, destroy the idea the original one stood for? No it has no effect whatsoever on what happens inside a persons head. The love of the music, the idea and the style can never be destroyed by someone else taking bits and pieces of those because it makes them happier. It feels like a subtle form of elitism to desire the destruction of sub cultures who are similar to your group but lack important "factors" in order to keep your sub culture "Pure" and "unique". I have to question why ANYONE should care what others do as long as you have your niche and no one can stop you from being in it.

I fail to see how we have "Lost" anything just because others have taken some good parts of our culture because they enjoy them. I have lost nothing. I still play games and love them much like i did before and everyone else who i shared this with is still alive, in fact i have met more recently than i ever have before. More people know what im talking about than ever before. I still know what i like and how much i like it and how it defines me. If other people can call that into question just by LIKING things then you need to get over it basically.

We dont need to reclaim anything. Society is basically constant change as far back as records go. Todays taboo is tomorrows mainstream and it basically always has been. Just because ours has been warped to become todays mainstream doesnt mean we cant still enjoy what we always have enjoyed.

Moonlight Butterfly:
Snip

I seriously would not even bother.
Dude went on my ignore list after his `WAAH GIRLS IN MY TREEHOUSE` post.

I'm gonna keep playing games.
I'm in your fandoms.
Touching everything.
I'm gonna get my girl cooties ALL the way up in gaming.
And there is nothing any of you can do to stop me.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I mean, sure, you can try the bitching route. Call me not a real gamer.
That wont stop us.
And eventually, being a girl who plays games will be no deal at all and the only people pissing and moaning about it will be the sad pathetic people who will try and try and try to push us out.
Too late.

Phasmal:

Moonlight Butterfly:
Snip

I'm in your fandoms.
Touching everything.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It just made me and my friends lol quite hard that he chose the one game my fricking username is from. Great move there...

/facepalm.

My mate Dave just pointed out that there is absolutely nothing to back up his claims to godly gamerhood and yet he's calling us out. Double standards are great aren't they.

matthew_lane:

HA! No. In fact the reason you are getting geek checked now, when you didn't before is because you were functioning under the umbrella of benevolant sexism before & equality now.

Uh, no, I wasn't.

I was never checked on account of my genitals.

Was I checked on account of my enjoyment of Star Frontiers over D&D? Yes. Was I checked on my love for Squad Leader instead of Risk? Yes. Was I checked and checked FUCKING HARD because I said that Magic The Gathering didn't appeal to me but this crazy little CCG called Shadowfist did? Ooooooooooh hell....

But never...NEVER for my ovaries was I checked, mister.

These days female geeks are common place & now you are no longer being treated like women, you are being treated like a geek.

I already was.

You are going to be geek checked like a geek, you are going to be insulted for not liking the same geeky things i like like a geek & you will have franchise pissing contests like a geek...

No, all it means that in addition to getting into shouting matches at Historicon and Cold Wars with old men about whether or not historical wargames are intrinsically better than fantasy or sci fi games, I'm going to have to get into shouting matches with people like Theo here over whether I even belong picking up dice on account of my gender.

Except that the "OMG, girls are doing to ruin this hobby for us by their existence" is a silly strawman constantly being pulled out by people, especially hackneye writers like Scamkesian & Alex Hunt to appeal to the self imposed victim-hood of a particualr section of the female population.

Look in this thread; I was accused of ruining Flouexetine's hobby just by being in it.

Phasmal:

Moonlight Butterfly:
Snip

I'm in your fandoms.
Touching everything.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

agreed. maybe I even wear gamer shirts and pretend to not even know who mario is.

Moonlight Butterfly:

It just made me and my friends lol quite hard that he chose the one game my fricking username is from. Great move there...

/facepalm.

Indeed, was a failworthy move.
I love these people, they make me feel so powerful.
They think I have the power to RUIN everything with my girlness.
And there is nothing they can do about it.
The female spy is already in the base.

Jenvas1306:

agreed. maybe I even wear gamer shirts and pretend to not even know who mario is.

Mario?
Is that, like, the one on the PlayBox? *hairflip*
I prefer Call Of Honour.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Fluoxetine:
For the 3 girls who claim to be gamers.

When did you beat Dark Souls?

Don't answer. You didn't.

It's one of my favourite games and yes I've finished it I also bought it on PC because I enjoyed it so much...why do you think I'm called MOONLIGHT BUTTERFLY...

JESUS CHRIST.

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity/Details?titleId=1313671226

(and before you start ranting about my gamer score I mostly play on my PC which I built and overclocked myself you can check raptr on my profile for most of my games)

I am also backing Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, Doublefine Kickstarter and Path of Exile. What are you doing?

Also I'm pretty much responsible for Project Eternity getting ultra hard modes as a stretch goal :p

Your move bro.

Geezus, Moonlight, I was about to cite my own cred in the Doom .wad creation community back in the day, but MERCY, you done trucked in an even bigger beatdown with that. I happily stand aside to your awesomeness.

It's another clear double standard, on top of being a complete waste of time.

If a gorgeous or even a not-so-gorgeous woman is pretending to like nerdy stuff so that she can mingle with a nerdy crowd for attention or to attract a boyfriend (or girlfriend?) what exactly is wrong with that? Women go to Comic-Cons and Anime gatherings, Magic: The Gathering tourneys, Sci-Fi conventions to meet people of the opposite sex; the same way a man may go to the ballet or dance class or show tunes or some equally "unmanly" venue to try to meet a girlfriend (or boyfriend?).

The problem with the fake nerd girl, as I see it, is entirely in the eyes of the beholder. The girl herself is no more out of place at a convention than I am at a girls rugby game. I barely know the rules of the game, am only vaguely familiar with the purpose of the game, don't know a damn thing about strategy, and can only name one team on the planet. If I went to rugby (say 15 years ago, to be fair), I would have done it to meet an athletically minded woman of strong character, that's the type of woman I was attracted to, and I could feasibly expect to find a woman like that at a rugby game. If I so happen to meet a woman I liked at this rugby game I would, if I thought it might help me get a date, pretend to know more about rugby than I do, name drop "scrum" or "centerfield" or some other rubbish that might make me sound like a moron, but if it secured me a date, so be it.

Here is where the eye of the beholder comes into play. If I go on the date with rugby girl but we don't hit it off in my mind, but she had a good time. She asks for a second date, but I waver and say maybe or no, than then I look like a "Fake Rugby Guy". It doesn't mean I meant to lead rugby girl on, but if she is obssessed with rugby but I find it only a mild diversion, there is no chance for success for a relationship of that type. I feel like a lot of nerd guys (hate the term, but go with me here) get burned by women with tepid interest in their hobbies. The girl was originally interested in your personality or looks, but if you don't have much more in common except you both like Skyrim, or a single Anime, or a single comic book character, than there is no point in persuing a relationship any further.

"Fake nerd Girl" unless she is being conniving and utterly insincere, wants a nerdy or Fake nerd Boy". It is generally accepted by most of my female friends that now that the "nerd" walls are down, or partially down, they make good boyfriends. Intelligent, courteous, adorable or endearing if they haven't had a girlfriend before, many times virgins (attractive for fellow virgins of the opposite sex), and generally more tolerant of others because they have faced bullying of some form or another so aren't as like to bully or demean the interested girl.

I think if you relax for a second, and try to reason it out, there are tons of "Nerd girls" who are looking the fit in, how a lot of us gamers were trying 15-20 years ago. Gotta stand up and be inclusive to the nerd girls of the world, expand our community, and maybe turn a few "Fake nerd Girls" into the legit thing, because for all of us, it started with just one game, one hand of Magic: The Gathering, one Star Trek episode, or one anime. Same for a lot of these young ladies. They are looking for a culture they can belong to, and if they don't know absolutely everything about something doesn't mean they don't belong in the community.

I like D&D, but I can get completely lost in a conversation with hardcore lovers of the game. Doesn't mean I'm trying to infiltrate their community or demean what they love, so relax, and next time cute "Fake nerd girl" annoys or otherwise disrupts you, remember, she may not be fake at all... and she's cute. :-)

Best Regards

Phasmal:

I'm in your fandoms.
Touching everything.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Is it wierd that I thought of this when you said that

Again, I've been in it this long, people think I'm going to leave NOW because of people like Matthew and Fluoexetine? Thhpppt. You can have my keyboard/joystick/controller when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

GunsmithKitten:
snip

He messing with my geek cred. He gonna get burned.

110% with Jim in this one. I feel like a teenager again with teens calling each other poser-this poser-that. So what now? POSER GAMER? Now, I've been pissed with the "true" gamer/nerd community for a while, a bunch of self-righteous pricks who can't even agree among themselves, they live as if the sense in life is taking an ENTERTAINMENT object and turning it into RELIGION, and then disagreeing about everything between one another. Really, when video game gets stressful go back to work, at least you're GETTING PAID for the stress. Now we also having them, apparently, claiming that the "being nerd" is such a serious life-style that they can pinpoint "posers" and exclude them as if they were harmful in some way. Let them pose, maybe one day a genuine interest will rise from there, and like Jim said, it's not like they are doing any harm...

Its cute how you lick each other's wounds.

Fluoxetine:

Got no response to Moonlight Butterfly delivering that carton of egg on your face then, I take it?

Moonlight Butterfly:

GunsmithKitten:
snip

He messing with my geek cred. He gonna get burned.

And a third degree napalm grade throw water on it will only make it worse burn it twas. Could not have done it better myself.

Fluoxetine:

What no response to me? Is it because you haven't got one?

Fluoxetine:

thats called 'fun', with friends you would maybe know that, but as noone is nerd or gamer enough for you...

My problem is when people have been so exposed to gamer girls that they think nerdy girls don't exist and give my girlfriend a pat on the head and say "sure. A gamer girl, we've seen THOSE before"

Jim i just came here to say that you are the sexiest man who has ever existed and don't let anyone say otherwise. XD

Moonlight Butterfly:

Fluoxetine:

Other than you missed the point entirely and responded to an accusation I made toward a guy, no.

And before you all jump on me like weeping children from Silent Hill Shattered Memories, the YOU is plural.

DigitalSushi:

"Who is your hero?"
if the answer is anyone other than Gary Gygax or Gunpei Yokoi then FAKE NERD GIRL

More partial to Greg Costikyan on the tabletop front and Norman Sirotek on the video game front....am I still fake? *sad eyes*

Fluoxetine:

Moonlight Butterfly:

Fluoxetine:

Other than you missed the point entirely and responded to an accusation I made toward a guy, no.

You accused her of having not possibly played your beloved core game soley on her gender, she proved you wrong. End of story.

GunsmithKitten:

Fluoxetine:

Moonlight Butterfly:

You accused her of having not possibly played your beloved core game soley on her gender, she proved you wrong. End of story.

Burn is super effective.

Fluoxetine becomes confused.

Fluoextine hurt himself in his confusion.

Fluoxetine:

GunsmithKitten:

Fluoxetine:

I see no proof. What, she linked her profile? So her boyfriend played it for her.

I don't have a boyfriend....

Where's the proof that YOU finished it exactly :p I'm waiting...

Grasping at straws much?

GunsmithKitten:

DigitalSushi:

"Who is your hero?"
if the answer is anyone other than Gary Gygax or Gunpei Yokoi then FAKE NERD GIRL

More partial to Greg Costikyan on the tabletop front and Norman Sirotek on the video game front....am I still fake? *sad eyes*

To be honest I have no idea who they are, guess that makes me a ... FAKE NERD GUY
YEEEAHHHHHH!!!

Moonlight Butterfly:
SNIP

see what I did there?

Fluoxetine:

Moonlight Butterfly:

Fluoxetine:

And before you all jump on me like weeping children from Silent Hill Shattered Memories, the YOU is plural.

You lost, you have no arguments left, they have all been stomped. Take your hat and leave now, keep that rest of pride...

My only issue with fake nerd girls is they try too hard for attention. Thats unattractive no matter who you are. The same nerdy boy in 90s high school sit com shows that followed behind the jocks getting his ass kicked and pranked for trying to force his way into a group instead of being himself is the same reason fake nerdy girls deserve the same treatment. Don't try to be something your not.

Just be yourself, please thats all I want. If you want my attention just walk up to my geeky ass and say I'm hot or something. Seriously, its not that hard to get our attention... well... as long as I'm not in the middle of a boss fight.

DigitalSushi:

GunsmithKitten:

DigitalSushi:

"Who is your hero?"

To be honest I have no idea who they are, guess that makes me a ... FAKE NERD GUY
YEEEAHHHHHH!!!

Moonlight Butterfly:
SNIP

see what I did there?

*SIGH* Man, haven't we abused that one riff by The Who enough? It's starting to rash.

Anyhou, Costikyan=West End Star Wars RPG, Toon, Paranoia. Sirotek=Wizardry and Jagged Alliance series.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Fluoxetine:

GunsmithKitten:

I see no proof. What, she linked her profile? So her boyfriend played it for her.

Where's the proof that YOU finished it exactly :p

Don't need any. Which, once again, proves my point.

See its the fake nerd girls who have to run about spewing their cred and attention getting feces everywhere they possibly can, from the internet to conventions to magazines to whatever. But, like you, they look absolutely silly and annoying (and believe me, these responses ARE annoying).

Jim's whole video was about how "fake" gamer girls don't exist, and if they do it isn't a problem. But I've already illustrated 3 scenarios both of gamer girls faking their core cred AND going out of their way to MAKE themselves into a problem. REAL nerds, the one who suffered for the art, keep our pride to ourselves because ITS NOT SOMETHING YOU SOCIALLY BRAG ABOUT. Its not some number that you paste in every forum profile you go on, not something you put on a t-shirt or buy at hot topic. But you are never going to understand that, because you haven't suffered worth a damn. You just showed up late in the game and said "look how core I am", which is the exact problem you claim doesn't exist. But you and the cronies aren't going to get that. Just trust me: Jim's wrong, and so are you.

Zack Alklazaris:
My only issue with fake nerd girls is they try too hard for attention. Thats unattractive no matter who you are. The same nerdy boy in 90s high school sit com shows that followed behind the jocks getting his ass kicked and pranked for trying to force his way into a group instead of being himself is the same reason fake nerdy girls deserve the same treatment. Don't try to be something your not.

Just be yourself, please thats all I want. If you want my attention just walk up to my geeky ass and say I'm hot or something. Seriously, its not that hard to get our attention... well... as long as I'm not in the middle of a boss fight.

To be fair, if she is a real gamer, she'll let you finish or at the very least ask you to hit the pause button first. ;)

Fluoxetine:
snip

You asked us to prove it. Do you forget what you type five minutes later or something?

Again there is no proof that you are a gamer at all.

Fluoxetine:

See its the fake nerd girls who have to run about spewing their cred and attention getting feces everywhere they possibly can, from the internet to conventions to magazines to whatever. But, like you, they look absolutely silly and annoying (and believe me, these responses ARE annoying).

You accused. We responded. That's not "spewing".

But I've already illustrated 3 scenarios both of gamer girls faking their core cred

And you're calling us liars ta boot.

AND going out of their way to MAKE themselves into a problem. REAL nerds, the one who suffered for the art, keep our pride to ourselves because ITS NOT SOMETHING YOU SOCIALLY BRAG ABOUT.

I don't brag about it. But I'm not ashamed it either. False dichotomy there you're implying.

Its not some number that you paste in every forum profile you go on, not something you put on a t-shirt or buy at hot topic. But you are never going to understand that, because you haven't suffered worth a damn.

You sir, know precisely dick about the ways I suffered for a multitude of reasons. If you want me to PM you to unload, I"ll do so, but I'll spare this thread the ugly details of it publically.

You just showed up late in the game and said "look how core I am", which is the exact problem you claim doesn't exist. But you and the cronies aren't going to get that. Just trust me: Jim's wrong, and so are you.

Almost 30 years of gaming in many forms aren't suddenly illusions I dreamed up just because you said they were, and you haven't presented a single objective piece of evidence to show that they are.

Fluoxetine:

Moonlight Butterfly:

Fluoxetine:

Where's the proof that YOU finished it exactly :p

Don't need any. Which, once again, proves my point.

Jim's whole video was about how "fake" gamer girls don't exist, and if they do it isn't a problem. But I've already illustrated 3 scenarios both of gamer girls faking their core cred AND going out of their way to MAKE themselves into a problem. REAL nerds, the one who suffered for the art, keep our pride to ourselves because ITS NOT SOMETHING YOU SOCIALLY BRAG ABOUT. Its not some number that you paste in every forum profile you go on, not something you put on a t-shirt or buy at hot topic. But you are never going to understand that, because you haven't suffered worth a damn. You just showed up late in the game and said "look how core I am", which is the exact problem you claim doesn't exist. But you and the cronies aren't going to get that. Just trust me: Jim's wrong, and so are you.

nah nah, its alright.
you being a nerd(?) or gamer(?) has nothing to do with suffering for it, you suffer cause of your personality.
btw, you are repeating yourself now, without argueing on. You lost, accept it.

If you were gaming for 30 years you would know EXACTLY what I was talking about.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here