Jimquisition: Fake Nerd Girls

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Oh, a Jimquisition that, at least in my opinion, misses the point a bit. Or at least avoids a point that shouldn't be.
I think part of the problem here is that people generally don't like fakes, not just limited to the gaming community.

In short; people don't like it when other people get undeserved attention for pretending to be something they aren't. Or something.
I'm not really able to word myself properly here without getting terribly philosophical, which is why I was hoping Jim would. But he didn't, so you'll have to live with my poor wording until someone else manages to do it right.

That said, it has probably been blown up to a bigger issue than it really should be.

This is not a new thing. Why do people think this is a new thing! It's just more visible. I'm 38 years old, a woman and I've been a gamer since the 1980s and a "hardcore" gamer (I hate that term) since the 90s. When I meet guys who are into games, I have often got the third degree, like they're trying to catch me out and prove I'm somehow a fake because you know, girls aren't into that stuff. It's more visible now, because women are becoming a larger percentage of the visible gamer population, but believe me this has always been there.

The "gatekeepers" always seem so disappointed when a woman proves she's not a fake. One guy became irritated when I proved I could discuss the relative merits of the combat systems in Final Fantasys VIII and IX. Another changed the subject when I started to talk about turn-based strategy games because I obviously knew more than him. Funny, it's almost as if they don't want women to be real gamers because then they'd have to let them in their silly little club.

I like how many people are pretending this isnt a thing... when it has taken place on this very forum. Seriously guys, yes this is a thing, if you havent seen it its because you are willfully blind to it.

Also: congratulations to Megan and Jared

The intro and outro are just extras, so they could be bad - even though they are always at least well scripted.
As for the topic of this one I have to say that if anything bad it's sad that woman are still exploiting their looks to get attention and the second this is that we live inside bodies that cause sexual tension and violence - if only we could become spiritual beings like this one floating around in Futurama or something XD

I'm sorry Jim, I was distracted by the woman dressed as Juliet Starling. What were you saying?

*reads thread*

Right, I think I get the jist of it and I have this to add. Women can do whatever the hell they want and if it involves dressing as Juliet, then I'm perfectly fine with it.

Naeras:

Tradjus:
*snip*

Wait, how does that work?

He means hired actors, such as booth babes, promoting games through sexualization.
Sometimes it really comes off as a cheap tactic and gives the gaming industry a bad image.
Cosplaying is fine, even if people don't know who they're dressing up as, because that's either a celebration of the medium or the event in question.

On topic:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Jim hasn't actually met any of these fake-interested people. Otherwise, he might've made a different episode.

I'm saying people, because it doesn't matter what gender they are, nor does it matter how they look, although beautiful "perfect" people sometimes come off as untrustworthy.

And for the record, I doubt there are as many people pissed off as those who are just annoyed with these kind of people(Please don't turn this in to another chauvinistic scream debate, just because some are vocal).

The reason that these people are a nuisance, is because they're fake, because they pretend to take an interest in any subject to pass as a diverse person in order to get short-term attention. It's not even hard to differ between these people and those who use it as an ice-breaker, because the latter actually asks about the subject instead of pretending to know what the hell they're talking about.

But no, according to Jim it's not about me disliking people for acting like douchebags while pissing on something I love, something that is still in its infant stages, including the surrounding community. It's clearly because I'm a fat fuck with a small pecker who's afraid of my man-time and safe-zone being violated by teenagers, who I apparently want to fuck.

Jesus Jim, mull the subject over instead of basing the entire thing on a couple of old memes; Try giving it some more thought and start a debate instead of patronizing everyone because some people out there can't keep their mouth shut and need to threaten with death and rape.
We're not all like that and I wish that a journalist would at some point, just once, focus on the issue and not the vocal minority ruining everyones mood.

the problem is that they're lying, to your face, and believe you believe them, calling you a gullible idiot through their teeth. it's insulting. the people who get up in arms over this do it in order to say they're not idiots. they're defending themselves.

there is no intrinsic problem with girls liking games. no one is saying that. sorry jim, but you really missed the point here.

I...
I didn't know this was a thing.
How long as this been a thing?
I know girls who play video games. I know girls who don't play video games. I know girls who only play a certain kind of video game. I've never had any problem with any of them.

What evidence is there that this wasn't started by a "true nerd" girl?

Jimothy Sterling:
Fake Nerd Girls

The latest flavor in the restaurant of controversy is the concept of the fake nerd girl -- women who pretend to like videogames and similar media, all for the express purpose of tricking honest, hard-working Americans.

Watch Video

Thank you Jim!

And thank the gods for you as well.

I am so fucking sick of having to deal with this stupid stereotype.

Seriously, why would a girl want to fake that? Nerd still isn't exactly a 'good' thing in Western culture - why would someone pretend to be one?

Honestly, I think it's a combination of fear and "stop liking things than I don't like!" when a given girl happens to prefer certain aspects of nerd culture over others.

Confession: I loved the X-men cartoon in the 90s, but I have never read the X-men comics. Because I don't like western comics. But I like the X-men - I like their various cartoon shows that I've seen, and their movies, particularly First Class.

So, once again, thank you Jim for this video. I shall thank the gods for you tonight. ^^

Actually made this rant a couple days ago;

You know what really pisses me off lately? Geek/nerd guys who think that culture is just for guys. They're the ones who might get bullied in school and mocked for liking video games, comics, manga/animes etc, yet as soon as a GIRL comes along and *f/cking shock horror wtf* -likes these things too-, she's labelled as a fake, as an idiot, and that she "can't possibly be a real fan", just because she so happens to have a fucking vagina. What these guys do when they do this is turn into the bullies that told them they were uncool for liking these things in the first place - so to those "men" that do this to women at conventions, or even on the f/cking internet, maybe instead of acting like the world's biggest prick, you fucking celebrate that you have more people to share the nerd world with, rather than demand that this walking vagina tell you every single line of every single comic ever since the f/cking Golden Age.

/end

Wait... Wait, wait, wait. There are attractive women... who go to Conventions and talk about gaming... and people have a problem with this? Really? A good looking woman has something in common with you and wants to talk about it; what's not to like? If an attractive woman came up to me and wanted to talk about gaming I would be happy.

P.S. Good Luck Jared. Hope she said yes.

Wow, this is actually a thing?...and apparently I'm not the only one thinking that, too.
Shouldn't people enjoy it when...what they deem "attractive" is tryiong to get their attention O_o

Also:
All the best to Megan and Jared.
And @Jim: God, you really made the impression of being completely sleep deprived and accordingly pissed. Hope your next days net you a bit more well-deserved sleep.

captcha: "time flies"
yep, yep

One thing I don't see mentioned so far is the portrayal of women in all of this. Just like all other media and advertisement, it perpetuates the unreleastic expectations of women to look a certain way.

Not all gamer girls are size 0 models. Not all size 0 models are fake gamers, but the image that gets portrayed only serves to unconsciously confuse people (both genders) into thinking this is how they should look. It also takes trust away. Am I to believe Kim Cattrall plays on a 3DS regularly? How can I tell for sure? She might, she might not, but I think most people will go with not.

I don't like things to be patronising, disingenuous and insulting in any of my hobbies.

Yes this is a thing.

I think its that most men are threatened by the thought of women breaking into and changing "their" hobby.
I seriously heard a guy saying that all women will do is complain until "their games" are the only ones being made.

If it means less COD and FPSes a year then by all means women CHANGE IT.
Hell I know at least half my friends on Steam are girls right now.

vun:
Oh, a Jimquisition that, at least in my opinion, misses the point a bit. Or at least avoids a point that shouldn't be.
I think part of the problem here is that people generally don't like fakes, not just limited to the gaming community.

Who the hell gets to say who's a fake and who's not though. That's the thing! If a guy is just getting into something, no-one calls him a fake. If a dude turns up at a convention in a costume, no-one asks him 20 questions to make sure he's entitled to wear it. Why should women be assumed to be liars and have to prove themselves? And what empirical evidence is there that there's a plague of phonies with vaginas trying to invade geekdom and fandom?

When there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that there is any significant number of "fake nerd girls" out there, you can only call it what it is - a backlash about women coming into previously predominantly male spaces, fuelled by stupidity and misogyny.

Weresquirrel:
I think I need to watch the first half again. I got distracted by that frankly baffling game footage with the chunky people running through walls...

I agree. I want to find out what game that is and who made it...mainly because that horrible, horrible individual needs stabbed in the eye with a spork.

wait... thats really a thing? seriously?
well... yea i agree with jim... wierd...
can someone explain this to me?!

Jodah:

Weresquirrel:
I think I need to watch the first half again. I got distracted by that frankly baffling game footage with the chunky people running through walls...

I agree. I want to find out what game that is and who made it...mainly because that horrible, horrible individual needs stabbed in the eye with a spork.

a spork? thats kinda harsh...
about the game WHAT THE FUCK JAPAN!? (because i can bet you on my left testicle that this is japanease!) seriously what was that?!

ms_sunlight:
This is not a new thing. Why do people think this is a new thing! It's just more visible. I'm 38 years old, a woman and I've been a gamer since the 1980s and a "hardcore" gamer (I hate that term) since the 90s. When I meet guys who are into games, I have often got the third degree, like they're trying to catch me out and prove I'm somehow a fake because you know, girls aren't into that stuff. It's more visible now, because women are becoming a larger percentage of the visible gamer population, but believe me this has always been there.

The "gatekeepers" always seem so disappointed when a woman proves she's not a fake. One guy became irritated when I proved I could discuss the relative merits of the combat systems in Final Fantasys VIII and IX. Another changed the subject when I started to talk about turn-based strategy games because I obviously knew more than him. Funny, it's almost as if they don't want women to be real gamers because then they'd have to let them in their silly little club.

You have the vocal attention seeking brats to thank for that, putting some of us on edge, because they're trying to get ahead in gaming by showing a bit of cleavage or playing cute.

As much as I loathe to agree with Jim that this is about men trying to safeguard their man-zone, there is a bit of truth to it and all women will likely face this problem whenever they join a hobby club that's dominated by men. Luckily, anyone with an open mind can easily tell those with a genuine interest from those just seeking short-term attention.
This is *very* common in motorcycle clubs, where some girls and women take it as far as getting their own bike, while everyone around them winces at the sight, because you can see just how badly they're handling it.

Mind you, I'm talking about the posers, not the genuinly interested women who more often than not are more careful and skilled drivers, at least on motorcycles, than men.

That's just how it is, at the moment. Try not to take it personally and take pride in the fact that you're more knowledgable than the men you've met. And even if someone you thought would understand reacts that way, don't worry, it's likely they're just being competitive and jealous. You should take it as a compliment :)

Oi! Be glad for at least THIS kind of attention to games. Where I live, girls play only farmville-ish games and tend to distance themselves from you if you play vidia-gamez. This tendency has been disappearing for the last few years, true, but still...

Point is: If a girl likes games that we tend to call "serious", then embrace it, share your knowledge and recommendations, but don't overdo it.

My roommate and I were talking about this VERY thing last week and all I can guess is that it's holdover bitterness from lack of female attention (or even female derision) in jr high/high school/even college for some. But now that games are "cool," hot chicks are into them and they're seen as "Janey come lately." Which is INSANE. Women like Felicia Day (who made an ENTIRE SERIES based on her love of WoW and STILL GETS QUESTIONED on her cred) who are not only attractive, but relentlessly joyful in their love of games, should be CELEBRATED, and not merely because they're women, but because games are reaching and impacting so many MORE people than they were twenty years ago. The same people who were always whinging that games would never be looked on as mainstream art are now the ones whinging the loudest that that's exactly what's happened.

I'm not going to go all out hatred on a "fake nerd girl". But please don't be mad at me if I regard them a little suspiciously if they are rather blatantly putting on the act for attention.

Also, the episode made me remember this picture: image

Easiest way to explain how i feel about the subject - Look at Dodger (Presshearttocontinue) compared to MissHannahSomethingOrOther.

See the difference? Yah.

Anyways - congrats to the couple that (hopefully) got engaged! Best of wishes! :)

getoffmycloud:
The only issue I can think off is these people is they do exist are likely to be the same kind of people who 10 years ago would have bullied someone for liking games so I can see the problem there.

I could see this being the mindset of some people. I also suspect it has to do with a similar mind set of indie kids and that people are afraid that the things that define them are being adapted by the main stream which would make these defining features much less defining so they are effectively losing a piece their identity.

Wait, what was that Jim? I kinda lost you during that Lolipop Chainsaw clip with the real life model with the stonking great tits and juicy, juicy thighs.

"Someting something, I hate things this week too" or something along those lines, right? Right. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to do something.

getoffmycloud:
The only issue I can think off is these people is they do exist are likely to be the same kind of people who 10 years ago would have bullied someone for liking games so I can see the problem there.

People who at one point would not like a thing, than ten years later do? That's what people call progress.

I'm gonna chip in here and say that the annoyance I have with the "fake nerd girl" has nothing to do with a pretty girl talking about games. It's just that it simply echoes the mainstream media's failing attempts at covering a subject they know nothing of apart from the stereotypical.

Add to that the fact that the gaming community is very protective of itself due to being ridiculed for years, and the stigma of the "horny nerd", and you can understand there might be some wariness.

hey jim, don't mess with firefly
and i generally don't get the issue with "fake nerd girls" if they are same people who bullied you ten years ago for liking video games, why don't you dig up your superiority complex and think about how how you set on the winning horse and they have to attach themselves to something they don't even like to get attention.
and that is if you even consider this a thing, i really can't see what is wrong with hot women dressing as characters from videogames, even if they just like dressing up or the craft involved in making costumes or even if it's just for the attention, how does that hurt you?

Smilomaniac:

The reason that these people are a nuisance, is because they're fake, because they pretend to take an interest in any subject to pass as a diverse person in order to get short-term attention. It's not even hard to differ between these people and those who use it as an ice-breaker, because the latter actually asks about the subject instead of pretending to know what the hell they're talking about.

Poseurs exist in every subculture - be it cinephile or fine art. They don't get nearly as much vitriol as I've seen on gaming forums and gaming conventions.

When someone shows interest in a thing, even if they're feigning some of it, it's a time to educate that person in that thing. It's a time to accept them and help them along their way. When someone willfully turns that person away, it's called elitism.

Bara_no_Hime:

Seriously, why would a girl want to fake that? Nerd still isn't exactly a 'good' thing in Western culture - why would someone pretend to be one?

Honestly, I think it's a combination of fear and "stop liking things than I don't like!" when a given girl happens to prefer certain aspects of nerd culture over others.

There are lots of reasons. First off, being a nerd isn't bad at all. There's a huge community surrounding games, comics and themes, such as steampunk. It's easy to feel welcome there, to share thoughts while feeling comfortable and not being judged for them.
It's a safe zone and since we're highly social creatures, seeing a group calmly enjoying themselves seems appealing.

Insecurity is another reason. If they don't feel they fit in anywhere, they'll pretend to be interested, just to be around people.

Attention is another reason, since "nerds" are easy people to manipulate and cheat, because they're inherently open people and don't have the experience to tell the difference between a good and a bad match - because boobs.

Also, you're right, there are SOME people who dislike the opposite gender moving in on their territory and acting completely unacceptable. But that's not a general picture, or at least I certainly hope it isn't yours.

jmarquiso:

getoffmycloud:

People who at one point would not like a thing, than ten years later do? That's what people call progress.

Sorry I didn't mean the exact same people but the same groups of people who only like something because it's popular and gets them attention.

So basically this episode was about attention seekers.

I don't really play video games often so "gam3r grrls" don't bother me, Scene Kids and Weeaboos really piss me off though. These people mentioned do everything for attention and cling onto the most mundane shit, I shit you not this is an actual post from Facebook awhile back...

"Listening to BVB so hardcore LMAO x"

Why the hell do you need to say something like that other than to get attention?! People that claim to be something they are not just screams that they have no personality themselves. It bothers me because I get grouped in with these crowds because I watch anime and listen to metal, yet I cannot have a decent conversation with either group about these subjects.

I know Jim used Jessica Nigri as a video example, but from what I have seen of her she seems to know what she is talking about when it comes to nerd culture.

Mordekaien:

Triaed:

Repeating Jim's comments: is this a thing, Internet? Really?

Yes, I would like to get that question answered too. Is this something you see done a lot? Because I certainly haven't.

OT, even if it was a thing, like Jim said, what of it? It's not hurting anyone, at least not now, nor is it enforcing any stereotypes, except of those of alone angry gamers who don't like social interaction with other gender.

Yes, I've seen it tons of times before. Example 1- girl on the bus shows off Pikachu t-shirt, can't name one main character from the show or another one of them.
Example 2- girl pretending to play DS, turns out she's just scrolling around in the menu. Original DS, mind.
Example 3- girl flaunting her knowledge of video games, lists Farmville, Cityville, Call of Duty, and Pet Society. She can't think of any more.
Example 4- girl saying that she loves video games, can't name a single console other than PS3.
I have tons more of these experiences. I don't get bothered by it, but I know someone who is, and I need to show him this ASAP.
Just listing some examples because it really does fucking happen, people

Well in music people will dress the part for a certain group for the sake of making friends or fitting in. I suppose gaming is no exception though to ridicule that person is cruel and benifits noone however misguided they may be. At the same time it does noone any good to pretend such a person does not exist.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here