Jimquisition: Fake Nerd Girls

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 23 NEXT

Is the anger towards fake nerds more akin to the feeling people have wards "fair weather fans?" Is it the idea that it lessens your nerd achievements because it's trendy to be nerdy now but you have judged them to be less of a nerd because of your standing in nerdom?

This isn't subject just to the gaming culture as Jim pointed out. I meet a lot of people wearing a band tee shirts of groups from the 90's who, when asked, don't actually know the band or the body of their work. It doesn't bother me though.

Eh, it pisses me off.
Never seen a dude be accused of being fake.
So, only females can be fake?

I've been accused of being fake, and so has every female gamer I know.
I think the thing that pisses me off the most about it is the implication that I somehow am seeking male nerd attention. It strikes me as rather egotistical.

Boo-hoo you got bullied for being a nerd.
So did I.
I am not gonna put up with people trying to push me out of my own community.
Shit rolls downhill, if you were bullied for something, perpetuating it by insisting ladies cannot be geeks or quizzing females automatically makes you an asshole.

mrhateful:
Why game girls are offending?

Okay since you didn't do any research doing this video I shall attempt to explain why they are so offensive, now first off let me state I love that women are getting into video games and I think that's a great thing.

Let me start of by saying being a gamer/nerd hasn't always been easy as you stated in your video you could get beat up in school for saying that and as such I have had my fare share myself defending my position as a proud gamer while others didn't even dare said they played games. Now that's many years ago but I still have the memories and this is why it pisses me so much off when a dumb broad comes along says she is gamer, and instantly getting attention, not by gamers but by others looking the gamer culture. She didn't do any of the hardship she didn't do shit, and she makes us all look like douches.

Sounds like a good reason for female video gamers to be mad about poser girls, because everything y'all male gamers been through - at least you had each other while you joined the rest in crapping on us so... how about y'all build a bridge and get up over it already.

mrhateful:

Okay since you didn't do any research doing this video I shall attempt to explain why they are so offensive, now first off let me state I love that women are getting into video games and I think that's a great thing.

Let me start of by saying being a gamer/nerd hasn't always been easy as you stated in your video you could get beat up in school for saying that and as such I have had my fare share myself defending my position as a proud gamer while others didn't even dare said they played games. Now that's many years ago but I still have the memories and this is why it pisses me so much off when a dumb broad comes along says she is gamer, and instantly getting attention, not by gamers but by others looking the gamer culture. She didn't do any of the hardship she didn't do shit, and she makes us all look like douches.

I wasn't aware that being a gamer meant being in an elite club where hazing is required to obtain membership. It sounds like your reasoning is your problem and yours alone.

Also, I like how your posts starts with you saying "women are getting into video games" like they weren't into them before recently. Clearly YOU didn't do any research on the matter.

Phasmal:
Eh, it pisses me off.
Never seen a dude be accused of being fake.
So, only females can be fake?

I've been accused of being fake, and so has every female gamer I know.
I think the thing that pisses me off the most about it is the implication that I somehow am seeking male nerd attention. It strikes me as rather egotistical.

Boo-hoo you got bullied for being a nerd.
So did I.
I am not gonna put up with people trying to push me out of my own community.
Shit rolls downhill, if you were bullied for something, perpetuating it by insisting ladies cannot be geeks or quizzing females automatically makes you an asshole.

Ditto. When anyone learns that I play a lot of computer games they get this look: I like to call it the 'what's wrong with her? Is she secretly a man? No, she's probably just lying' look and it drives me mental. Similarly, the fact that people feel you can tell a fake geek just by looking at her is absurd. It's the worst kind of judgemental bullshit, but people feel they can get away with it because the people they usually judge to be fake are people who are fairly popular/mildly attractive/well-dressed/confident and/or female, and so have automatically been dealt a better hand in life and should be ok to get some insults sent their way. It's ridiculous.

Poser girls tend to have a negative impact on the rest of us because we then end up having to 'prove ourselves' for some reason. I've had countless people ask me to speak on the mic just to prove that I am actually a girl and even then some say it's "my sister" and so on. I don't really get why it's so hard to believe?

It also sucks that some males think all women just got into gaming recently. I've been a gamer for about 20 years and I'm sure many others have been playing games just as long.

I feel that the video could've definitely gone into a bit more depth; you only scratched the surface Jim. Hoping you maybe continue in an article or another video.

Sheo_Dagana:

Also, I like how your posts starts with you saying "women are getting into video games" like they weren't into them before recently.

Darn it, you beat me to it.

Man, Count Duckula was awesome. He had a teleporting castle if I remember correctly.

I disagree.
It annoys me because these people are hired to appeal to what I believe is the largest demographic of gamers, young males, and it makes me feel that whichever publisher or producer hired them thinks that i will buy their product or watch their show because my penis told me to.
It makes me feel like by supporting that product, by watching that show, I am also supporting this mentality that anything can and/or will only sell as long as you put breasts on it.

Why should people who know nothing of what they're talking about be made presenters of that subject when there are thousands of people more equipped to do that job?
Answer: Boobs, and that stupid long, wavy hair they all have.

Its not they themselves that annoy me, its that that's what whoever hired them thinks i ultimately want. They don't think i would be interested in actual news or passion for the subject... no, they think the only thing i'm interested in is boobs.

I don't think its any real threat to the industry, other than making it seem more immature, but i don't like it, and it certainly lowers my disposition towards certain companies... and i can never watch those shows. I cannot provide the views that attract the advertisers that fund the show that pays the wages of somebody who doesn't give a flying fuck about what they're talking about, while at the same time insulting me, saying that i'm some braindead idiot who only buys things because the hot girl told me to.
And no, this does not mean i do not believe in the existence of female gamers, nor male non-gamers in these positions, but i do not like being pandered to.

This thread is incensing me.

#1 - Booth babes are not the same thing as geek girls! Booth babes are paid professional models!

#2 - You think geeky girls don't get picked on in school??

FFS...

Its because these angry virgins so desperately want a woman that likes games just like them. Whenever they find one they get so hurt when they find out she was lying to them. Its a personal betrayal. The more beautiful (and thus the stronger the fantasy) the more it hurts. She is not the dream whore they imagined while masturbating.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait... This- this is a thing? A thing that is going on? Now? Right now? Right now, people are getting there panties in a bunch because an attractive lady likes playing CoD, Silent Hill, Rayman, whatever? Didn't this... Wasn't this... Like, it was a thing... But I thought it was a little thing... And it was over... I- I'm... But surely pretty ladies playing videogames is a good thing, right? Y'know, show that we're not all a bunch of sweaty guys who get all up in arms over women and what not... Like, does anyone miss the days of being ostracized for playing videogames? Like- I mean- really? Really? Seriously there are MEN who dislike this? MEN and BOYS who, not wanting to generalize but, may have a harder time getting to common ground with members of the opposite sex disapprove of women liking similar things?

That seems... Stupid...

mrhateful:
-Snip Snip-

This is one of the most depressing posts I've read in a while. You don't want to let people join in on your hobby simply because they didn't have to deal with the hardships of your childhood? I honestly don't know how to properly respond to this other than grow up a little bit dude. People don't have to be beat up anymore or go through any sort of initiation just because they claim to like a certain thing.

OT: Well, I hardly even knew it was that bad a thing before I read some of the posts in the thread here. If someone, guy or girl, wants to be in on something I say let 'em. Maybe they really do just think that they are a nerd and really do kinda want to be one. If they're just doing it for attention, shrug your shoulders and move on then. You'll live, trust me. It's unfair and unjustified to grill people and force them out just cuz they didn't have to put up with social stigmas or because they don't know every minute detail on every game ever. I'd like to think we kinda get over that stuff as we get older.

I'd agree with Jim if it was so simple that people get angry at a non-gamer girl wearing a mario shirt just because of that. I think it's a little more complex; nerds don't like that popular culture is co-opting our culture to be some kind of new fad, it feels disrespectfull.

It's still not right that women get more scrutiny than men, but thats probably because traditionally nerdculture is male-dominated. Not saying it's moraly right, im just saying its understandable.

Now to go hide in my flame-proof bunker.

Aurora Firestorm:
This is demeaning to both men and women.

It's the thought that women are so fake and duplicitous that they will go out of their way to trick unsuspecting men, that "pretty" is incompatible with "smart," "nerdy," or whatever, and that they live on attention so much and are so desperate to toy with people's brains to get it, that they'll lie through their teeth for it.

It's also the thought that nerdy men are so alone and so incapable of finding love that they will jump around like puppies and be lovestruck into stupidity when something with boobs walks by, that they have no real standards and are just looking to get laid because they're sad, needy failures at social life.

Frankly, the whole thing is just ridiculous.

The issue is, some guys will do that.
Just as you hear so many stories about women falling for "love rats".
What because men are meant to be all strong and such they can't have these things happen ??

Its almost a counter sexism thing "guys deserve to be taken advantage of because they want love "

blackrave:
WAIT, WHAT?
There are girls to pretend to be nerds?
Especially gaming nerds?
WHY?
We mostly are dungeon dwelling solitary morlocs who:
bathe only because smell starts to bother neighbors
have unhealthy skin color because of regular all nighters and going outside rarely
have waistline powered by snacks and softdrinks
have atrophied muscles (except hands- those can crush bricks)
looking as unappealing for opposite gender as possible
wears strange and often dirty clothes
not to mention social skills lower than concrete
[disclaimer for those who like to nitpick: that was stereotypical exaggeration for proving point]

WHY IN THE HELL ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE LIKE THAT???
Are they are insane? Or stupid? Or stupinsane?
Man, this world is getting more and more crazy :/

Money, if its easy money then some people will do it and since the invention of the pre numptual millionaires are a little harder to rip off

Jimothy Sterling:

It's a horrible term regardless, that puts the focus of the blame on the women themselves. And the stuff I've seen hasn't been about this manipulation, it's attacked hard working people, and just women in general -- usually just *concepts* of them, with nobody singled out as an actual basis.

Well, YOU also just attacked a *concept*, with nobody singled out, or as some people like to call it, a "straw man".

Quote the actual people who actually said something general and deluded/mysognistic/petty, and attack them, but not the vague concept of anyone ever accusing certain women of being manipulative. Just looking through this thread, you can find several commenters who are willing to defend the term and it's basic implications from several angles, without the pitfalls that you attacked.

That alone proves that even if you are not intentionally strawmanning your opponents, you were at least WRONG in your belief that people always use the term that way.

And it's not just an issue about the puppetmasetrs of booth babes and actresses designing them in a certain way, but also about individual posers who are jumping on the nerd stereotype's shallowest "fashion" elements now that it's popular and fetishized by the media, while also shitting on the kind of social outcasts and obsessive basement dwellers who reclaimed the term from being an insult into their subculture.

It's disrespectful to nerds in the same way as EA releasing an "indie bundle" is disrespectful to indies, or as turning Che Guevara's face into a commercial brand icon is disrespectful to communism.

It has very little to do with who's getting attention, and everything to do with something we call, "Authenticity."

We like to think that within our interest groups the people we involve ourselves with are, in fact, actually wanting to be there. We like to think that our peers meet or exceed our own knowledge about a given hobby. The problem with faux-nerds is that they're paying lip service, and you can find as many male examples as you can female examples. You just need to look. No, you're not a nerd for reading a book (to say nothing of Harry Potter). No, you're not a nerd for playing a video game for 2 hours a week. No, your thick rimmed glasses, which you don't even need, and the pocket protector don't make you a nerd.

Most of this really is a reaction to the fact that the gate keeper for the term, "nerd" isn't really there anymore. Nerds don't own their own language anymore, and this is a reaction to that.

Ultimately, the reaction to faux-nerds is the same as you'd see in any other hobby. When someone can't meet an incredibly low-set gate for acceptance into the group they're called posers, and summarily shunned.

Great point on the judicial microscope upon women in gaming.

Excellent point on the non-geeks in and running the gaming industry.

Poor low-blow attack that we don't look much better than you. Jim, I am fabulous. Not everyone involved in gaming looks like a Boggard: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs37/f/2008/247/3/e/Boggard_Champion_by_ilkerserdar.jpg

although Jim makes some good point, I disagree with him.
I think what irks me the most about these "fake nerd girls" is that they are pretending. Its the same reason i dont like "fake photographers" (ie girls with big cameras taking selfies): they say they like something, but they dont know anything about it and have no desire to learn any more. My issue is not that they might not like mario or mass effect as much as me: its the fact that they've never played it, and yet they pretend that because they've heard of video games and own a pair of fake glasses (sweet jesus dont get me started on the glasses...) that they are "nerds". Although the definitions of "nerd" and "geek" vary greatly, im fairly sure that the terms dont apply to this situation.

I half agree and half not. And I'll tell you why.

Yes, there are girls that use games to get attention, just like there are guys who will drop a group of friends in high school if they're "invited" into a clique that makes them more popular.

Both men and women CAN be fake, it matters not weather or not theyre called out on it, but the part I agree with you on, is that its blown WAYYYY out of proportion. I've met many a girl that can whop my ass at pretty much everything I play, because (and heres the shocker) THEYRE JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. -_-

Captcha: Play in style

thats....suprisingly fitting.

acosn:
No, you're not a nerd for reading a book (to say nothing of Harry Potter). No, you're not a nerd for playing a video game for 2 hours a week. No, your thick rimmed glasses, which you don't even need, and the pocket protector don't make you a nerd.

So, what does make someone an authentic nerd, and what makes that label so important?

Hollyday:

Ditto. When anyone learns that I play a lot of computer games they get this look: I like to call it the 'what's wrong with her? Is she secretly a man? No, she's probably just lying' look and it drives me mental. Similarly, the fact that people feel you can tell a fake geek just by looking at her is absurd. It's the worst kind of judgemental bullshit, but people feel they can get away with it because the people they usually judge to be fake are people who are fairly popular/mildly attractive/well-dressed/confident and/or female, and so have automatically been dealt a better hand in life and should be ok to get some insults sent their way. It's ridiculous.

It is at the point that I will not `out` myself as a gamer unless I'm pretty sure I'm not going to catch any hassle.
I'll chat to dudes in game shops (I love doing that), but if I'm just out and talking to people and the subject turns to games, I'll usually stay quiet. (Especially after I made a comment about some daedric quests in Skyrim to a dude at my boyfriend's work who was into games and dude just kinda stared at me and froze). Not worth the hassle.
It's funny, considering many guys moan about how their aren't enough female gamers.

Also, cant figure out how to get this into an image but THIS: http://sailorswayze.tumblr.com/post/35678126959/am-i-right-ladies

Aardvaarkman:

acosn:
No, you're not a nerd for reading a book (to say nothing of Harry Potter). No, you're not a nerd for playing a video game for 2 hours a week. No, your thick rimmed glasses, which you don't even need, and the pocket protector don't make you a nerd.

So, what does make someone an authentic nerd, and what makes that label so important?

It's not about what makes a nerd so much as what makes one not a nerd. The first is hard to define, the second is very, very easy.

Smilomaniac:

Naeras:

Tradjus:
*snip*

Wait, how does that work?

*snip*

THIS!
I usually agree with Jim, either here on Jimquisition or on his articles on Destructoid, but man, did he missed the point on this one.

Look, if the perception gets around that nerds can be normal people who might even be physically attractive, all the pale fat smelly nerds covered in cheeto dust and wankstains might not have an excuse any more.

And that would be terrible.

mrhateful:

I'm a dude,I've been into games, comics and sci-fi all my life (I'm 22) I never got bullied for it. Hell I even looked like

So it's not like my appearance was deceptive or I'd somehow tricked people into thinking I was cool. Wasn't aware I had to pass some right of passage. Know what I do when someone tells me they like sci-fi and I find out their knowledge is lacking? I give them some Philip K. Dick novels. If by "I love comics" they mean "I saw the Avengers" I give them some comics. Fandom isn't something to be hoarded, it's not finite, it doesn't actually affect your enjoyment of something.

Phasmal:
[quote="Hollyday" post="6.394138.15960990"]It is at the point that I will not `out` myself as a gamer unless I'm pretty sure I'm not going to catch any hassle.
I'll chat to dudes in game shops (I love doing that), but if I'm just out and talking to people and the subject turns to games, I'll usually stay quiet. (Especially after I made a comment about some daedric quests in Skyrim to a dude at my boyfriend's work who was into games and dude just kinda stared at me and froze). Not worth the hassle.
It's funny, considering many guys moan about how their aren't enough female gamers.

Also, cant figure out how to get this into an image but THIS: http://sailorswayze.tumblr.com/post/35678126959/am-i-right-ladies

Love the cartoon!

My situation is a little different. I don't have ANY friends who are gamers, so thankfully I don't often get quizzed on my knowledge by some nerd gatekeepers (the only time it really happens is online, or from my students. And since I can hand out revenge-homework at whim they tend to back down when I tell them to!). I get the opposite, which is that most of the people I know think that all games are CoD, overly complicated flight sims or kiddy platformers and judge me to be a hyper-violent, boring woman-child accordingly. Oh, and I forgot lesbian. Apparently playing games automatically makes you a lesbian. Who knew?

Whilst waiting for the Mass Effect 3 launch a friend asked me why I was getting so worked up about it. When I explained that I really wanted to know how the story that I'd sunk 60+ hours into ended, she said, in all seriousness, 'don't be stupid. Games don't have stories'.

There are no double face-palm memes emphatic enough to describe the people I have to deal with on a daily basis!

I cant believe people actually believe such things as

"WHEN I WAS A NERD I WAS BEATEN UP! NOW WHEN THEY DO IT THEY GET LAUDED! THATS SO UNFAIR!"

Didnt you always fight for acceptance? To not let gaming define you totally but instead just to be a thing you LOVED like everything else people love?

Which makes as much sense as an elderly black man who fought for the right to vote saying:

"WHEN I WAS A YOUNG MAN VOTING I WAS BEATEN UP! NOW THEY DO IT AND ITS ENCOURAGED! THATS SO UNFAIR!"

Which sounds petty and disgusting. Your previous suffering isnt any excuse to hate peoples current lack of suffering. Thats pathetic. So totally pathetic. How low. Can you be. As to wish pain onto others because they are now free to do something you used to be hurt for. To wish them to suffer too... just because you did. Its so arrogant and self absorbed i cant even begin to describe it. Im sorry. I cant even start to relate as to why you would feel that way.

Lemme steal this from a wonderful wonderful friend of mine who showed this to me:

My favourite part is "The girls wear skimpy outfits when cosplaying for attention!"

Uhuh. So erm. They are copying the character. A character created specifically to appeal physically to men by men for men. And they cosplay that character because they love the fandom and the character. And its THEIR fault its skimpy. Even though it was created when WE the "Real nerds" had the say in what characters were created. We should have demanded better characters, not expected "Better" female fans to share our interest with.

bunji:
I'd agree with Jim if it was so simple that people get angry at a non-gamer girl wearing a mario shirt just because of that. I think it's a little more complex; nerds don't like that popular culture is co-opting our culture to be some kind of new fad, it feels disrespectfull.

True, but the problem isn't nerds getting angry at others stealing their identity, it's that they're targeting their aggression at the wrong people.

The so called "Fake nerd girl" that attends conventions and plays games just for the attention doesn't exist. No one who's "fake" would go to those lengths. While they may not have the same passion as others they're by no means fake.

Jimothy Sterling:

Entitled:

Yes, and likely that is what many of the complainers already mean, when they comment that "Lol, that ad just pulled a Fake Nerd Girl", or "that actress is just played up for Fake Nerd Girl appeal".

But your video just covered the worst possible conclusions of why one might use the phrase, while associating them with everyone else as well. That the very idea is inherently stupid, and everyone should feel bad about themselves for considering to bring it up.

Shaming everyone who might use a phrase or discuss a trend, rather than the people who misuse it.

It's a horrible term regardless, that puts the focus of the blame on the women themselves. And the stuff I've seen hasn't been about this manipulation, it's attacked hard working people, and just women in general -- usually just *concepts* of them, with nobody singled out as an actual basis.

I honestly wonder if half the outrage has just been contrived from smoke.

Its definately a probability what with people who love drama and making for the sake of some misguided attempt at self importance. Id wager over half of this years controversies were started that way.

Another hit out of the park Jim. Games are no different to every other medium now, anyone can enjoy them in any capacity and theirs no reason appearance or other nonsense should factor in to their level of interest or understanding. Props for using Jessica Nigri in your footage, she's certainly a fine example of a very attractive lady who IS paid to help market games by dressing up (in outfits she makes herself no less) but she also seems to know her games and play a tonne.

Funny how the same people who come up with this fake nerd girl stuff would probably also be the first ones to start yelling about how not all gamers are fat, lazy shut ins should ever a claim be made but if they realized the irony there they might explode.

ms_sunlight:
This thread is incensing me.

#1 - Booth babes are not the same thing as geek girls! Booth babes are paid professional models!

#2 - You think geeky girls don't get picked on in school??

FFS...

I know how you feel.

I feel like knocking my head against my desk right now. There is just so much to be ashamed of in this thread. The Entitlement here is palpable. "Oh, women are only pretending to be gamers now because it's considered hip," or "I used to get beaten up for being a gamer, therefore, I have the right to be disrespectful to every girl gamer I come across and judge them inferior because they can't pass some arbitrary gamer test that only "TRUE GAMERS" can pass."

It's complete and utter bullshit. I am really glad that I have been able to steer clear of these "TRUE GAMER GUYS" lest they grill me about the hobby that I've loved since I was a small child.

Aardvaarkman:

acosn:

Obsession.

Being a nerd isn't just liking some form of entertainment. It's loving it and clinging to it. In a sense, it's a lifestyle. Personally, I hate it when people (BOTH MALE AND FEMALE) say shit like "lol, i read a book, I'm such a nerd".

Anywho, here's a video that will explain why "fake nerds" aren't a good thing much better than I ever will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7A5OgfP4NA

I've actually met a few girls like this, so they do exist. they don't try too hard and they're usually teenage girls that know nothing about everything anyway. it's not that they choose gaming specifically to be such a poser of, they do it with everything because they're stupid teenage girls. it's what they do. it's like when they say that Green Day is their favorite band but they can only talk about are "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and "21 Guns".

I doubt any adults do this anyway so i really don't see it being a problem. As for any men getting angry at this, well it's basically just your usual sexism in the nerd circle of sexually neglected men. Women entering gaming is (to them) a security breach in their safe zone. it just makes them feel uncomfortable because it's "been this way for so long".

F*** tradition.

White Knighting pretty girls, Jim? Really? Is this a thing?

I would also like to point out that people who usually hate "fake geek girls" also hate guys who do the same thing. It's just that you don't see it from guys as much. It's really not a sexism issue as much as it's made to seem.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here