Jimquisition: Fake Nerd Girls

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 . . . 23 NEXT

GunsmithKitten:

Moonlight Butterfly:

Fluoxetine:
snip

I've been gaming since 1984. It's my main hobby, it's pretty much all I do. Exactly how are you sitting there telling me I'm not a gamer just because I happen to have ovaries.

Sometimes people want to make me flip a goddamn table seriously.

I stand by what I told him about firing up a copy of Quake and coming at me. Hell, I get home tonight, I'm going to go and scrape some rust off my hands just on the off chance this little frag-bait actually let's me gib his ass one on one.

We shouldn't have to fucking prove ourselves tbh.

Moonlight Butterfly:

GunsmithKitten:

Moonlight Butterfly:

I've been gaming since 1984. It's my main hobby, it's pretty much all I do. Exactly how are you sitting there telling me I'm not a gamer just because I happen to have ovaries.

Sometimes people want to make me flip a goddamn table seriously.

I stand by what I told him about firing up a copy of Quake and coming at me. Hell, I get home tonight, I'm going to go and scrape some rust off my hands just on the off chance this little frag-bait actually let's me gib his ass one on one.

Shouldn't, but in the end, it's the only way to show up people like him. It's the only language they understand in the end. You insult the skills of a stranger, you best not be surprised if said stranger calls your bluff. I didn't do what I did for years with my clan just to have some little cheesewipe on Escapist suddenly declare that I was "carried" by them. And you knwo something, I'm being polite compared to what my old clan would say to him.

The_Kodu:

canadamus_prime:

When was the last time you heard anything about Ms. Sarkeesian? 'Cause I haven't heard anything from her in ages. Probably because I get most of my new from this site, but whatever.

2 months ago as I wrote a little article about something related to her and how EA have hired her to essentially tell DICE how to make Mirrors edge 2.
Mostly it was questing why she was actually consulting upon gameplay when her area is characters. Along with questioning the idea that Faith is a good female character when honestly she's not much more rounded a character than Gordon Freeman (Gordon freeman is more of a narrative device than a character in his own right, not saying its a bad thing as such though)

2 months? Yeah that sounds about right. In that time we really haven't heard a peep out of her. Or at least I haven't. Although her consulting on Mirrors Edge 2 is an interesting development.

The_Kodu:

canadamus_prime:

Why haven't I heard about either of those things? I knew Wil Wheaton had made a few statements but I didn't know he had received death threats or anything. ...not that that surprises me any. It seems few people on the Internet know how to properly address issues they feel strongly about and resort to lashing out like a pack of rabid chimpanzees. ...except that would be an insult to rabid chimpanzees.

Actually Wil wheaton didn't recieve death threats (at least to the best of my knowledge) )
it was the now ex Destructoid guy who received them from some of the army of Wheatons fans.

Either way, I haven't heard of it.

Moonlight Butterfly:

The main thing is unless you're trying to essentially sell yourself as a Girl who is all sexy and plays games and not a gamer who happens to be female there should be no issue.

the issue only starts when someone is trying to sell the idea of themselves as something special and not something that is fairly normal really I mean its what 42% of gamers are now female ?

The idea is guys have to prove themselves too if they're trying to sell themselves as a gamer too. Why else are journalist forever accused of bias in reviews etc and as was shown with the recent gamespot natural selection 2 review fiasco there are guys in the industry who knoew very little really about it.

Can't we all just get along? I never actually see this happening IRL when I've been at events or conventions or whatever. As for online, I get a little pissed when someone questions my nerdiness because said fakes exist. It's okay though, I forgive people who are ignorant enough to approach me with such questioning.

Maybe a good little way to get peoples head around why telling women to just turn off chat online or to ignore abuse is insensitive and dickish is to do one simple thing, replace every mention of women with a black person and every sexist insult with the n word and other racist slurs.Now how do you feel defending racist slurs and discrimination soak it in because you should be feeling just as bad for defending being a sexist douche or sexist douche enabler.

I also just though of something else. Recently at my school there was a school volleyball tournament. It was competitive, but many teams entered just to have fun and not care about their record. Many teams went with a team costume in mind. One team were all dressed as superheroes in some way. There were girls on that team, and guess what, they knew a decent amount about superheroes. But then there was another team, aptly named, "Revenge of the Nerds." I know I might catch some flak for saying this, but here we go. The girls on this team were all the kind of people that 100% I know for a fact couldn't tell Star Trek from Star Wars, couldn't name one video consoles, don't play video games, nothing. I know that people may say, "But you don't know that for sure!!!!" That's true, I don't, but I'm sure all of you know of that one clique from highschool: girls that are attractive cheerleader types who go out and drink every weekend at parties. That was these girls. Their team attire were suspenders, ties, office shirts, and the typical "Nerd Glasses:" Is that what nerds are? Going into this further, many of these girls dressed up in the same attire at Halloween parties. To me, this is really offensive. Is that what represents a nerd or a geek? Are we such a joke that we're a Halloween costume? Now to concede I know these girls weren't trying to fool anyone into thinking they were "nerds", (Some of them are actually pretty cool people that I could talk to) but still, it makes me wonder how the subculture is thought of...

My girlfreind often gets 'tested' on her knowledge of games, especially by when she wears her assassins creed of mass effect T-shirts. Nerds seem to get angry, as if shes wearing their uniform, and she has to meet a certain grade to be able to wear them. Some jackass even accused her of being a fake nerd girl (something she dosen't claim to be) because she only plays a few titles mainstream titles on the xbox, and not obscure indie games on a 1000 gaming pc. If you regularly play any game your a gamer, its not an elite club.

Even I'v been questioned if I'm a REAL gamer before because I guess I don't look the part, and I work in the industry.

Fluoxetine:

snip.

this whole persecution complex is toxic and not good for anything, people need to move the fuck on , this is what happens when people take labels and titles too seriously..people you don;t like play games BIG FUCKING DEAL....

I'm female and I'm a "gamer" DEAL WITH IT

For the 3 girls who claim to be gamers.

When did you beat Dark Souls?

Don't answer. You didn't.

Now on to the meat & potatos of this article, as i say something most people will try to disagree with: This article isn't really about gender. This article is about members a sub culture, getting sick & tired of trendies crashing there thing, on the basis that its been made semi-popular recently.

These are after all the same trendies who will abandon it the second its not popular & then will start bad mouthing it again.

Unfortunately its a situation muddied by a group of women, who happen to be geeks seeing an attack on female trendies, not as an attack on trendies, but as an attack on women & due to female inherent same group preference, seeing it as an attack on themselves.

An unfortunately this leads to geeky women declaring "because i'm a geek & a female, all women who declare themselves geeks are geeks, even if they have no interest in aything geeky at all & actually hate everything geeky."

This failure to accept that some women really are just trendies, cosplaying for attention, is really where this whole thing breaks down. Unfortunately we can no longer pretend that such women don't exist... We also can't pretend that such men do not exist, but they are a significantly rarer breed, since they get significatnly less out of it.

I've heard all the arguments to the point that at some point in these discussions, i sometimes feel like singing along with them. But no matter what arguments you use, when you have a woman dressed in a yellow fur micro bikini, yellow body paint, with circles painted on her cheeks (of her face) & calling her self pikachu, it doesn't really matter if she's a geek or not.

The design choices shes made had nothing to do with a love of pikachu, or the larger pokemon franchise: Its all about her gaining sexual attention now. An when one reaches that point, its time for said cosplayer to get out of the con, because you are no longer there as a consumer, you are there to be consumed, as a sexual commodity. You are taking up limited floor space, while not being a consumer.

Notice, that that statement doesn't paint all cosplayers as wastes of space.

An thats just from the point of view of another con goer. I can't imagine what its like for exhibitors, who are working on a shoe string budget, just to cover the expense of being at the con. To have the interest of actual consumers co-opted by such sexual attention seeking behaviour must be infuriating.

In the end female geeks are going to have to accept that there are probably as many trendies "playing geek" for the weekend as there are actual female geeks at cons. An possibly moreso with the cosplay crowd. After all the only reason to cosplay is for attention. An before someone jumps up and down about "love of the character" let me make this explicitly clear: If it were all about love of the character cosplayers would walk around in there outfits all the time. Cosplayers would be at home doing the washing up wearing a costume.

No, the only reason to cosplay is for attention & there is nothing wrong with that... But there are many kinds of attention, theres the "hey look at me, i'm a fan of this character" & then there is "Hi, i have boobs barely contained within this costume & am here just to be oggled, because it makes me feel sexy."

No one faults the former, but the latter is just taking up limited space.

So next time when you get geek checked by someone checking your geek credentials, don't take it as an insult, take it as what it is: Recognition of shared interest. You aren't some sort of victim, being hated on by the big bad men, you are being scrutinised in exactly the same way male geeks scrutinise each other.

An if you don't think we geek check each other, just watch what happens when D&D 5th edition is released next year. Oh the edition wars, as both sides try to excommunicate each other as not "real gamers."

You want equality, here it is: You will be geek checked at some point... So will we.... Get over it.

An most of all if you want male geeks to recognise you as a fellow geek, heres a little something you can try.

1. When you see an article like this one: Rise above. Because as soon as you start with statements that start with the sentiment of "you geeks need to do such and such" you immediately revoke any right to call your self a geek... Because thats what you just did. If you think "us" geeks need to do a thing, then you by extnesion you are saying you don't need to do it too, because you aren't a geek.

2. If you do get geek checked, or if i don't believe you are a geek, or if i test you on geek trivia, understand that male geeks do that to each other all the time. So please don't turn it into some kind of sexism witch hunt. An please don't jump onto your blog to complain about how all geek men hate all geek women. We don't hate you, but you keep on talking rubbish like that & you'll certainly give us "geek men" a reason to start.

3. Stop with the hasty generalisations towards male geeks. Every time a female geek opens her mouth to bad mouth all male geeks, the general tolerance level for your continued presence drops. Both sides of the gender divide have wankers: You have Anita Scamkesian, we have Tony Harris. But between the two groups the male side doesn't blame all female gamers for the existance of Anita. Where as the existance of Tony Harris was again an excuse to open the flood gates of hate & gross over generalisations of male geeks.

Hasty generalisations hurt. An the more often we get characterised as slavering sexist monsters, who hate female geeks, the more we actually do start to hate you & as Glados song says "now we just want you gone."

We don't want you gone, but you have got to learn to stop falling for the "oh i'm a woman & a victim of the big bad men geeks" nonsense.

jmarquiso:

OuroborosChoked:
It's one thing if I can go up to one of these supposed "fake nerd" girls, and we can actually hold a discussion about the Atari 2600's impact on modern gaming citing specific examples (or something similar)... if you can do that, you're a nerd in my book.

How often do you even see that conversation happen? I was playin' Star Raiders on the Atari 400, son. I go to some pretty in-depth gaming sites and blogs. You know how often I've seen a conversation about the "Atari 2600's impact on modern gaming?" Certainly not here in the Escapist forums. And rarely outside of an article on Gamasutra. The very statement is pretentious*.

But then, in some peoples' book I'd be a fake gamer, too.

*As an aside I could go off on how the Star Raiders design did not go on to influence modern gaming, when it should have. Despite its DNA being found in Elite, Wing Commander, and the like, but completely gone by the time we get Mass Effect.

Pretentious? Not to me. I grew up on the Atari 2600. When most kids were playing Nintendo, my family had Atari. I played the shit out of the old 2600 Pac Man! Moon Patrol, Space Invaders, Sea Quest, Megamania... that made up years of my childhood. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's pretentious, either. If you have a passion for something, you'll find a way to expose yourself to it. I never had a Genesis growing up, nor were there a lot of arcades around me anywhere I lived, but emulators in college helped with that.

And I did say "or something similar", so it doesn't have to be that specifically... but any topic of excruciating detail that only someone with that specific knowledge would be able to participate in. People who can are people who have a real passion for the medium... they become nerds for that topic. To me, if you can talk about how Star Raiders should have influenced gaming more, you're a nerd... and I want to hear it!

Besides, it's not like this is setting the bar too high. When I was in college, I used to hang out at a locally-owned video game store. It was where a bunch of nerdy guys (and some nerdy girls!) congregated and just talked about video games, cracked jokes, and had a good time... yes, we bought games from the store, too... In there, that kind of conversation was COMMON. It was like video game nerd heaven and my second home. Those were some of... no, fuck it... they WERE the best years of my life. I felt accepted for who I was... and I've missed it every day since it closed.

Basically, it comes down to this: gaming makes you a gamer, but being a gamer doesn't make you a nerd.

^If anyone is going to take anything away from this thread, it's that.^

P.S. I just want to share this one bit from memory lane here. One day we were all sitting around watching the store's clerk play Mario Golf or something on the Gamecube... and this guy who was a regular there just says out of the blue: I wonder if Boo died in a car accident...

I was in TEARS! I was literally on the floor laughing because I had never thought about it... I mean, he's a ghost, right? How did he become a ghost? It just struck me that this cutesy little Nintendo character was actually someone who just ran into a tree...

Okay, I'm a sick fuck... but I found it hilarious. I still do.

God, I miss those days...

matthew_lane:

2. If you do get geek checked, or if i don't believe you are a geek, or if i test you on geek trivia, understand that male geeks do that to each other all the time. So please don't turn it into some kind of sexism witch hunt.

Sorry, but when I remember that I DIDN"T have to go through such hoops back in the day on account of my gender, but now all of a sudden I have to, I AM taking it as a personal attack. You best expect to get it in return.

I understand that getting "geek checked" is a part of the culture, but tell me, do you get your card reviewed because of your genitals? Because I do.

But between the two groups the male side doesn't blame all female gamers for the existance of Anita.

You haven't been reading this thread, have you?

We don't want you gone, but you have got to learn to stop falling for the "oh i'm a woman & a victim of the big bad men geeks" nonsense.

If so, it's only fair we demand that male geeks ditch this "OMG, girls are doing to ruin this hobby for us by their existence", which I was accused of doing not more than hour ago to someone's "cloud" line too. Deal?

Fluoxetine:

Never even played it. So what? I tried Demons's Souls, didn't care for it, and therefore had no interest in Dark Souls.

Besides, I finished the original Ultima Underworld AND Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge with NO hint guides and using homemade notes and maps. I don't need to justify crap on the "playing challenging games" front.

clippen05:
As someone attempting to make a youtube centric gaming channel, fake gaming girls do annoy me. Why? Because some girl who makes a video showing some tits while talking about games will get thousands of viewers, but her commentary/review/ etc. will be absolute shit. She'll get views just because of the sex appeal. That's not to say that all women's gaming youtube channels out there do this; some do make great gaming videos, but there are a lot who don't and just ride the cleavage view train.

So your gaming channel sucks and you're mad because some other sucky gaming channels get more people?

Let me just put it out that people can wear/listen to/watch/play/eat whatever the hell they want. And nobody needs to justify anything to anyone, unless they are trying to be something they claim to be.

The issue that I think Jim might be missing here, is that fake *anything* people are annoying to those who are legit, simple as that. Because that's called a poser. Yes, you are right, they have little impact on any industry or genre or culture, but it's annoying for those who are genuinely involved in something to see others try to cash-in on it in some shape or form (attention, money, recognition, respect etc) when they are obviously doing it for some other reason than that they simply like it.

I'm probably a bit out of touch now being almost 30, but I got the same amount of flak for lots of stuff in my teens. Even my own brother tried to call me out for drawing a Slayer logo on my school bag when I was in 7th Grade, until I proved myself. (Now we've grown up, and I've been listening to metal a lot longer than he has). It's what kids do, and in general, the effect is minimal, but it won't stop others from being offended by it.

Before, it was fake gangsters, surfers, metal heads, even weed smokers, now its hipsters, nerds, emos and god knows what you'll have to ask someone younger than me.

OuroborosChoked:

Besides, it's not like this is setting the bar too high. When I was in college, I used to hang out at a locally-owned video game store. It was where a bunch of nerdy guys (and some nerdy girls!) congregated and just talked about video games, cracked jokes, and had a good time... yes, we bought games from the store, too... In there, that kind of conversation was COMMON. It was like video game nerd heaven and my second home. Those were some of... no, fuck it... they WERE the best years of my life. I felt accepted for who I was... and I've missed it every day since it closed.

That's stupid. "Oh I talked about it so it's not setting the bar too high!" What kind of reasoning is that? Hint: The answer is it's bad reasoning. So what if that's the environment you're used to? What makes you so special that your experiences define the word?

Fluoxetine:

so I'm not a gamer?

and thats your benchmark? what if say...I wasnt interested in darksouls?

how many guys didn't beat dark souls? answer me that, being a gamer has fuck all to do with whats in between your legs

no, I didn't beat dark souls, I played it for a while to check it out, while it was hard mabye I could have if I had the dedication and time, but I didn't..I moved on

but you know what? I never claimed to be GOOD at games, I'd say I'm decent and games thease days are generally very easy anyway, so apologies if I don't fit your stupid criteria

Fluoxetine:

GunsmithKitten:
Never even played it.

Vault101:

so I'm not a gamer?

Fluoxetine:

I think we're done here. :)

Fluoxetine:

not we are not done

not by a fucking long shot

1.you are not the authority on what the definition of "gamer" is..I could throw around bullshit arbitraity rules saying your not a gamer if you havt plaed on more than one platform

2. answer MY question....what of guys who havnt played dark souls? do they not count because they have dicks?

3. again this is bullshit "waaaaaaahhhh people are taking away my feeling of being "special" you are not fucking special, you have no "authoity" on anything, this attitude is sad and pathetic

4.did it ever ocur to you not everyone plays for "super duper hard challenge" I liek challenge but I don;t like torturing myself

Fluoxetine:

So is that what makes a person a gamer ?
I really don't think so dude.

do they have to have a certain ELO rank too now ?

Before someone jumps this guys allow me to point out he's one of two extreme sides and I'm sure at some point someone from the other extreme side will jump in on this so just stand well clear

matthew_lane:
Now on to the meat & potatos of this article, as i say something most people will try to disagree with: This article isn't really about gender. This article is about members a sub culture, getting sick & tired of trendies crashing there thing, on the basis that its been made semi-popular recently.

These are after all the same trendies who will abandon it the second its not popular & then will start bad mouthing it again.

Unfortunately its a situation muddied by a group of women, who happen to be geeks seeing an attack on female trendies, not as an attack on trendies, but as an attack on women & due to female inherent same group preference, seeing it as an attack on themselves.

An unfortunately this leads to geeky women declaring "because i'm a geek & a female, all women who declare themselves geeks are geeks, even if they have no interest in aything geeky at all & actually hate everything geeky."

This failure to accept that some women really are just trendies, cosplaying for attention, is really where this whole thing breaks down. Unfortunately we can no longer pretend that such women don't exist... We also can't pretend that such men do not exist, but they are a significantly rarer breed, since they get significatnly less out of it.

I've heard all the arguments to the point that at some point in these discussions, i sometimes feel like singing along with them. But no matter what arguments you use, when you have a woman dressed in a yellow fur micro bikini, yellow body paint, with circles painted on her cheeks (of her face) & calling her self pikachu, it doesn't really matter if she's a geek or not.

The design choices shes made had nothing to do with a love of pikachu, or the larger pokemon franchise: Its all about her gaining sexual attention now. An when one reaches that point, its time for said cosplayer to get out of the con, because you are no longer there as a consumer, you are there to be consumed, as a sexual commodity. You are taking up limited floor space, while not being a consumer.

you were doing so well until that last paragraph you had something and were running with it. Then you suggested people should be able to tell others how to dress, where's that newspaper ok
*rolls it up*
You do not tell people how to dress it is their choice and while limits are placed for a reason (no dudes in Banana hammocks or Mankinis) its more there for taste then much else and if someone wants to dress up in something allowed by the con but a bit sexual then its their choice however they should also understand that humans beings are humans so it might attract attention so you can't really complain about people looking and call them horrible sexist for having a moment of more base instinct cut through.

Dijkstra:

So your gaming channel sucks and you're mad because some other sucky gaming channels get more people?

As a channel operator myself I can point to another channel and go what the heck when I see the same number of subscribers as me, lower video quality and yet huge amount of views with the difference being boobs in the thumbnail. Heck I've proved to an extent the power of boobs in a thumbnail myself in a parody video which turned out to be one of my most popular original ones.

The_Kodu:

Before someone jumps this guys allow me to point out he's one of two extreme sides and I'm sure at some point someone from the other extreme side will jump in on this so just stand well clear

Presumably allowing you to point something out would involve giving us a good reason to believe there it's true and there is another extreme side. People like to pretend there are two opposite and equal sides to things, but it's fuzzy thinking.

Dijkstra:

As a channel operator myself I can point to another channel and go what the heck when I see the same number of subscribers as me, lower video quality and yet huge amount of views with the difference being boobs in the thumbnail. Heck I've proved to an extent the power of boobs in a thumbnail myself in a parody video which turned out to be one of my most popular original ones.

And he didn't just go 'What the heck', so stuff it. If he did you'd have a point. His complaining just looks like petty jealousy that he distracts himself with instead of concentrating on his own quality.

Dijkstra:

Presumably allowing you to point something out would involve giving us a good reason to believe there it's true and there is another extreme side. People like to pretend there are two opposite and equal sides to things, but it's fuzzy thinking.

You believe its fuzzy thinking I've seen it happen due to disagreeing with someone playing in a team game, turned out to be a girl gamer and some guys with her acting like White knights.
I disagreed with her plan in game and went for my own plan. We won, me getting the majority of the points. I had 15 minutes of constant messages of abuse ranging from calling me a misogynistic pig to claim they would see me banned, to claim they would kill me.

Allow me to point that out again
I got 15 minutes of death threats from around 6 people because I disagreed with someone in a game and the person turned out to be female.

So yeh there are two sides

And he didn't just go 'What the heck', so stuff it. If he did you'd have a point. His complaining just looks like petty jealousy that he distracts himself with instead of concentrating on his own quality.

well its a legitimate complaint, I pointed out before how Dodger, a female gamer gets far less views than Megan Lee Heart despite dodger going for quality and Megan going for clevage thumbnails

The_Kodu:

Dijkstra:

You believe its fuzzy thinking I've seen it happen due to disagreeing with someone playing in a team game, turned out to be a girl gamer and some guys with her acting like White knights.
I disagreed with her plan in game and went for my own plan. We won, me getting the majority of the points. I had 15 minutes of constant messages of abuse ranging from calling me a misogynistic pig to claim they would see me banned, to claim they would kill me.

Allow me to point that out again
I got 15 minutes of death threats for around 6 people because I disagreed with someone in a game and the person turned out to be female.

So yeh there are two sides

That's not another side to the same argument. God, I hate it how people try to pretend there are two extreme and opposite sides and using such stupid logic to get there.

Those people are not even part of this argument. Where's the 'fake' part in your example?

Besides, for all I know you did more than just disagree. People are quick to leave out details in situations like that. Or even just make them up.

well its a legitimate complaint, I pointed out before how Dodger, a female gamer gets far less views than Megan Lee Heart despite dodger going for quality and Megan going for clevage thumbnails

It being a real thing does not make it a valid complaint. There's nothing to complain about, it's just a stupid phenomenon and he's in no way wronged by it.

ugh, this...
in my experience, girls being called fake gamers are usually either just falsely accused before even spoken to or just a different kind of gamer than the one accusing her.
and even if she is fake, we kind of dug this grave for ourselves, the whole culture clinging to the idea of girls that game is uncommon and somehow special really just makes it like the mother lode of easy self-esteem boosts.
omg, that evil insecure girl liking to be told she is awesome, how dare she!
and for women finding this to be a problem(and I know there are plenty of you out there): fake or not, does it really matter? does she affect you in any meaningful way? if it isn't for perhaps you wanting the attention she is now "undeservingly" getting? jealousy is a bitch. doesn't make you more deserving of the attention though, can't blame her because of your own low self-esteem and need for attention.
Either way, I think there is a bigger issue in gaming culture to be worried about here, don't you?

TLDR;
srsly people.... grow up. every one and their grandmother games these days, stop pretending like you are part of some kind of prestigious underground group, and welcome to the digital era of entertainment.

The_Kodu:

Fluoxetine:

So is that what makes a person a gamer ?
I really don't think so dude.

Nobody ever follows through on the logic. Ask yourself this: How did I know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, well in advance, that they did not play it? I could have wound up with a carton of egg on my face by making that accusation, especially if these girls are as core as they claim. But I knew the entire time they didn't put in the effort to play a game like Dark Souls, one of the only core games this generation has seen.

I've proven my point already, but the entire counter-argument seems to consist of "Well you are right about everything you've said so far but you're a big stinky poopie meanie head."

Dijkstra:

That's not another side to the same argument. God, I hate it how people try to pretend there are two extreme and opposite sides and using such stupid logic to get there.

Those people are not even part of this argument. Where's the 'fake' part in your example?

Besides, for all I know you did more than just disagree. People are quick to leave out details in situations like that. Or even just make them up.

first the fake was the non existent insult that I was being attacked for as when I got told
"Hey you useless [expletive] come and help us over here with this" over the Mic I replied
"No I'm doing my thing here"
I then got "Look I know how to play this just get over here and help"
my reply was "Look if we go for that the enemy knows we're after the high value target and can move in and take it last minute, you also don't need me there to take it theres enough of you in one place already"
I then got a nice load of "you're useless, I'm better than you etc etc"
I then said "I'm not going with your plan as its moronic, you don't require me for you plan to work and the plan I'm going for will net as many points with less risk so you do you crap I'll do mine and stop bothering me"

Did I insult her gender ?
No
Did I at this point even know it was a girl ?
No, for all I could tell it sounded like a 13 year old kid on the mic

Now it doesn't take much looking round to spot the so called white knights about and often in places that don't require them or shouldn't.

The Anita Sarkeesian incident being one of them as the idea of showing how sexist video games are having to use "positive" sexism kind of defeats the point of it as when you get a bunch of guys defending the girls its really not furthering the cause there.

It being a real thing does not make it a valid complaint. There's nothing to complain about, it's just a stupid phenomenon and he's in no way wronged by it.

Well done you just insulted Total biscuit, the Yogscast, Jesse coxx, Dodger, and probably 90% of youtubers there by saying that people using boobs for views isn't a valid complaint .

Weresquirrel:
I think I need to watch the first half again. I got distracted by that frankly baffling game footage with the chunky people running through walls...

Yeah what the hell was that?

Of course, then Juliet comes on. And I suddenly forgot about the dudes.

The_Kodu:
*missing the point*

1. No reason to believe that's the full thing
2. Still does not say anything about fake nerds

Well done you just insulted Total biscuit, the Yogscast, Jesse coxx, Dodger, and probably 90% of youtubers there by saying that people using boobs for views isn't a valid complaint .

How is it an insult? It looks like you're in a corner so you're just saying stupid shit now instead of anything sensible.

Fluoxetine:

Nobody ever follows through on the logic. Ask yourself this: How did I know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, well in advance, that they did not play it? I could have wound up with a carton of egg on my face by making that accusation, especially if these girls are as core as they claim. But I knew the entire time they didn't put in the effort to play a game like Dark Souls, one of the only core games this generation has seen.

I've proven my point already, but the entire counter-argument seems to consist of "Well you are right about everything you've said so far but you're a big stinky poopie meanie head."

what is core?....please tell me?

I never claimed to be "hardcore" I claimed to be a gamer...not all gamers are "hard core"..the definitions for thease things are not clear cut...YOU canot dictate what is or isn't a "gamer" based upon weather or not somone enjoys or playes certain types of games

just because I don;t like dark souls means jack shit...."playign and beating really hard games" is not my main enjoyment of gaming...AND you coudl say the same of many guys but your too hung up on the fact that we are female, like I said..answer my fucking question about the guys

Fluoxetine:

Well neither did I ?
what am I not core enough for you ?
Does not playing Dark souls automatically invalidate me as a gamer ?
What because everyone didn't rush out and buy that game they are not core ?

I could for example ask you what a shocklace is and does ?
chances are high you wouldn't know, does that then mean you're not a gamer under your own logic as I've been able to ask a question you can't answer ?

Fluoxetine:

[/quote]
No the counter argument is honestly your logic fails as you created one situation and are applying that situation to cover everything.
I could say you're not a gamer for never having played ぬさっ娘 and using your own logic it would be true.
The fault with the logic is this.
First gamers are diverse and will be into different genres so won't all pick up one certain game.
Second the game only recently saw a PC release and that was initially poor and using windows live so you've removed PC gamers who don't like shoddy ports.

So hopefully you can see the hole in the logic or I'd say you no gamer for being unable to tell me what a shocklace is and having never played ぬさっ娘

Dijkstra:

The_Kodu:
*missing the point*

1. No reason to believe that's the full thing
2. Still does not say anything about fake nerds

1.Well I have no reason to believe you're anything but a highly evolved sentient piece of dog poo who's come back from the future. Though I'm guessing you do claim to be human.
My apologies for not having everything that's ever happened to me recorded with a 200 piece of screen capture software or I'd happily give you the 560 hours or more worth of content for you to watch to find that specific relevant moment in time.

2. white knights don't get that they are defending someone with no interest in gaming to them they see the damsel in distress and as such immediately go in full force attacking without viewing the situation

How is it an insult? It looks like you're in a corner so you're just saying stupid shit now instead of anything sensible.

well if the complaint isn't valid then obviously anyone complaining about is is just crying as was implied. So the fact others share that same complaint means they're just crying and upset too, it can possibly be that the point has any merit to it ?

This is the fun of using actual logic, you can connect so many dots and make the logic meet up with it if you know what to do. For example logically the EU could invade Switzerland due to the possibility of them weaponising cheese............. and no I haven't gone mad thats actually based on a certain midly obscure book series which shows off logic in some very strange ways.

Fluoxetine:

For the arsehole who thinks Dark Souls is the epitome of hardcore:

When did you beat Angband?

I did. As a gnome mage. In 1995.

Seriously, there is no test, there is no exam, and you don't get to play gatekeeper.

Fluoxetine:

Fluoxetine:

GunsmithKitten:
Never even played it.

Vault101:

so I'm not a gamer?

Fluoxetine:

No, we're not. What does Dark Souls have to do with anything?

The_Kodu:

Does that come with disco claps?

*clap clap*

Oh, and Flouxetine, if you want do some gamer cred interrogation, do you...

-know which mode numbers mean what in Atari Combat?
-know the bait and lead trick in Robotron 2084?
-know how to avoid being eaten by a Grue?
-know how to battle Shen Long?
-know how to get through the Rio labyrinth in Golgo 13 without the manual's map?
-get through Mutoid Man on Smash TV with only one credit?
-know where to say "Hello, Sailor!"
-know what Maya's favorite food is in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment?
-know the Stinking Cloud exploit in SSI Dungeons and Dragons games?
-know the hitboxes of at least two Street Fighter 2 characters down to the pixel?
-know how to kill the Invincible(?) Pterodactyl?
-know the insides and outs of at least one pinball machine table and where to hit just it right to get an advantage without Tilt'ing?
-get into religious debates on the Catholic parrallels in Silent Hill 1?
-reliably beat the Tofu Survivor on Resident Evil 2?

When you can say all that, you can legitimately criticize my gaming experience and cred, son.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here