Unskippable: SoulCalibur V

Pages 1 2 NEXT

SoulCalibur V

Zany swords are all the rage among fighters in the SoulCalibur universe.

Watch Video

Oh the malfested scene. That's seriously the stupidest part of the game.

Is that party an engagement party? Future Mr De Vere

Was Dumas' sister Harley Quinn?

Quite the sense of disconnect between the ridiculous fightscene and the halfassed revolution/intrigue.

"...With a hula-hoop?"
best line ever

Ah Soul Calibur V. It shed the small cutscenes for each character for one big story for one character.

It's a shame the whole story is still the same quality, only instead of an acceptable 15-30 second scene, it's hours long. Ugh.

DVS BSTrD:
Was Dumas' sister Harley Quinn?

That wasn't his sister, that was the malfested that took his sister...

and essentially, yes, she is a schizo Harley Quinn.

OT: Anyone who said they played the main story of Soul Calibur for the story is lying. Even by fighting game standards that story is abysmal.

Did he just kill a poor guy?

Are you playing as the villain?

Because that would be an interesting change of pace.

Ooh, you guys should put up bonus videos of the game play you cut out!

Wow that makes even less sense than previous Soul Calibur games.

Just for the record: "Graf" = "count", from German.

The fraking video's not playing because the damn WoW:Mists of Pandaria roll-down ad keeps jacking things up. It's even here on the forum!

tehweave:
Because that would be an interesting change of pace.

No he's just kind of a self-righteous dick with no idea what's happening throughout the plot...

Well that was wildly entertaining!

Its a shame they only managed to include 1/4 of the planned story...
Its also a shame that Nightmare and Raphael weren't replaced, as planned, by 'Dumas', who was supposed to be Raphael hosting Soul Edge... It would've been good to have more new... It would've been better if they had been given enough time to actually finish the game by Namco. :/

Graf is a rank of German Nobility

Zor

I seriously don't get the recent fascination with storybook cutscenes.

I mean, it was one thing when it was a PS2 game with minimal in-game cutscene capacity, though considering that Konami did full cutscenes for MGS1 even though it was the blocky PS1 faux-3d and none of the characters had any facial animation whatsoever.

But this is Soul Calibur, a franchise renowned for its gratuitous use of pre-rendered cutscenes (which these days could even be in-game and still be HD-quality). How in the world are they using, not even "still-imation" storybook images, but literal still-life illustrations with voiceover?

Forget 1/4 of the planned story, apparently they only bothered to do 1/4 of the planned RENDERING.

Guess it's Tekken Tag 2 for me.

OMG! If all cutscenes from Soul Calibur V could become Unscipable material, then we could have like few months of theme. It would eventually get borring as we would start to undestand the conveluted backstory.

Cinematic with excessive, pointless powering up and posturing. - Check.
Completely inefficient armor designed for bizarre catwalk modelling and not combat. - Check.
Faux Germanic words and names. - Check.
Storyline that only makes sense in the writer's head. - Check.

Yup. Japanese.

Damn, my history teacher never told me that our country was invaded by Godzilla, how could he leave such an important event out of our lessons...

I'm a little disappointed that they weren't able to show when Patroklos interprets the sexy, barely-clothed spirit woman as his mom; or when ZWEI appears with all his body oil.

OK, I'm back, the video player works again (despite the WoW ad's best efforts) and I have no idea what the hell just happened in that video. Too flashy and seizure-rific for my taste. My favorites were the jabs at that one guy's glowing orb keeping the top & bottom 1/2's of his body together and how ridiculous their swords are.

garjian:

You heard it guys, how about more of this nonsense?

Darth_Payn:

garjian:

You heard it guys, how about more of this nonsense?

I'm talking about Project Soul and the game as a whole, not this video... If that's what you were thinking.

They had stories planned for every character, and those storyboards were all to be fully animated cut-scenes. They weren't given the time or possibly budget (but i don't know about that) to complete it.

Darth_Payn:
My favorites were the jabs at that one guy's glowing orb keeping the top & bottom 1/2's of his body together and how ridiculous their swords are.

The basic concept of Nightmare (that one guy with the glowing orb keeping the top & bottom 1/2's of his body together) in SC4, and 3 i think, is that he is a possessed suit of armour, giving Soul Edge (the red sword) a human form without having a host. The "glowing orb" is basically the energy Soul Edge gives off escaping because again, it has no body to inhabit.
In SCV, which takes place after that scene, he has a new host and is not leaking anymore.
What's hard to understand about that?

I now have another racial slur to use, Malfested!

"Be thankful you are not malfested, childen. Slayerclause would have to kill you in the name of justice."

Since when do fighting games have a plot?

I guess it was a bigger priority to add Star Wars characters instead of making a story that makes minimum sense, not as if people play fighting games for the story in the first place.

EDIT: and I just confused SCIV with SCV. I wish the series just ended with SC2 :<

So I didn't play the game, but that is what that guy is doing, right? Just sending the sworddude to places he doesn't like?

I liked the design of Soul Calibur (the sword) much better in Soul Calibur II than in Soul Calibur IV and V. The crystalline spiky look just looks ridiculous.

The Random One:
So I didn't play the game, but that is what that guy is doing, right? Just sending the sworddude to places he doesn't like?

From what little I could gather from the dialogue, I think that Graf guy was trying to find his kidnapped sister, but was also trying to root out places that were supposedly corrupted by the shards of Soul Edge which is the evil sword we saw the red guy using earlier. Although that Graf guy certainly comes across as just as evil and corrupt though.

I wear whiteface and black eyeliner, for I am malfested! Have at me!

Well, Graf is count, obviously. As in Graf Dracula, which can be linked to 'the Count' who is the vampire on Sesame Street. So... yeah, a line of reasoning the detectives from Rapidfire might use.

canadamus_prime:
Wow that makes even less sense than previous Soul Calibur games.

I stopped trying to make sense out of the poor excuse of a story that Soul Caliber has after 3 to be honest.

Did they run out of money half way through making this sequence?

It rather gratingly swtiched from nice animation to Storyboards for no obvious reason :)

I never played the Soul Series for story. I actually played it because of the characters and their quirky personalities. It was a lot of fun running each one through his / her own story mode just to see how things turned out. Because of this reason I just couldn't stand Soul Calibur V and it's absolute lack of fleshing out most of the new cast beyond some one liners.

canadamus_prime:

From what little I could gather from the dialogue, I think that Graf guy was trying to find his kidnapped sister, but was also trying to root out places that were supposedly corrupted by the shards of Soul Edge which is the evil sword we saw the red guy using earlier. Although that Graf guy certainly comes across as just as evil and corrupt though.

Patroklos is the one trying to find his sister, Pyrrha. Pyrrha was kidnapped and is being raised by Tira (hoola hoop girl). Graf Dumas, actually Nightmare the wielder of Soul Edge, is just manipulating Patroklos.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here